Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 12th July 2017, 16:19   #931
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
It shows so many cars just to give comfort to a user that there are cars around.
Ah, Ok. So that solves the confusion.

Few weeks back me and couple of others were trying to book Uber for a trip to railway station. Since it getting late, we were trying to book from all three phones with us just to try our luck in whose request is accepted.

Since it was starting of a long weekend, none of the cars were available and after trying for around 45 mins we called up a friend who came and dropped us at the station.

All through this time we were able to see cabs displayed in the app, however on selecting the booking option it strangely disappears. We were trying to locate the cabs displayed in the app on the road since we were waiting on service road, however we were not able to find even a single one.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2017, 18:59   #932
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
There was a discussion on this in one of US websites where one of the Uber executive clarified that the cars you see are not the real locations. Rather it is a screen saver kind of thing. It shows so many cars just to give comfort to a user that there are cars around. As rightly said by dark.knight, the real location appears once you book a cab.
I KNEW it!, Uber is a master of smokes and screens.. they are all about lying and deception when one doesn't pay attention. This "screen-saver" may be a placebo effect but its a lie nonetheless. The finest example was today.. I called the cab and saw the cab move closer and closer to the pick-up point (1 km away), suddenly after 5 minutes the cab goes back to its original position where it was when the request was made! Oh boy lol.

I have such a love-hate relationship with this company.. the only reason I still use it is because its the only way to avoid driving in a nasty traffic city such as Bangalore. Travis Kalanick modelled Uber in his fashion.. lies fly off from between his teeth when he opens his mouth, (again I admire him and Garrett Camp.. without them I would be paralyzed today).

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The incentives are anyway a fraction of what they were earlier. Just wait until investors tighten the screws and profits start to matter: fares will go up, and incentives will be negligible. That's when they will face the ugly side of the driver class.
A huge war between Uber and its drivers has already taken place where I'm at.. it involved everything including a 2 week strike, throwing stones at the Uber office and mass exodus to OLA. Uber still won the war by retracting the benefits and staying put. Cabs were in acute shortage for over a month after that but now I guess a new flock of drivers have come in to fill the gaps and make their living. I'm all too aware that this is a highly unstable business.. the next war isn't too far off.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote