Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 18th July 2006, 02:43   #1
BHPian

Default Visit to to Irwindale dragstrip LA

Irwindale is located a few minutes distance from LA, this speedway also hosts NHRA drag races, D1 drifts and lots of other major events in CA.
Every thursday night ..under the lights drag races are held.These are mostly open to anyone.
On approaching the dragstrip I could smell the burnt rubber and burnt clutch..now how cool is that..? I think every car nut can understand what I am saying..what more can you want ..plus there was the sound of cars getting ready behind the stands revving high.
Guys I couldn't beleive it ..every car was running below 10 seconds
there were cars doing 6 seconds as if it was nothing, there were some 4 second top fuel dragsters also.
I had more fun watching the guys who were preparing these beasts in the parking area where the cars were been unloaded, warmed up etc.you should hear the idling on these cars, they were using such agrressive cam profiles and retarted ignition timings..it almost sounded like a single cylinder diesel.There were lots of American muscle cars mostly muscle cars and a few new mustangs, more than Jap cars..
But hey there was a traditional grudge fight between and EVo and Subaru :-) on the drag strip...they did it in something like 11 seconds.
There were lots of turbos even on american cars, I was expecting lots of superchargers instead as it was supposed to be a majority of american muscle cars.
You could hear the massive turbos spooling up , the distinct whining noise as the revs increased and the chirp of the BOV as they lifted of the throttle in the staging area during tire warm up.
The most interesting part was a TC'ed Honda NSX...I was betting with my friends that it would eat up the competition as it was lightweight etc etc and since they were American they were betting on the old Camaro with the big supercharger.. guess what the camaro chewed up the NSX real bad.
There were mostly privateers and local teams as it was thursday night, the big boys come out to play on Sundays ..NHRA summit series etc.
The whole thing was followed by a Burnout competition and the winner to be decided by the crowd noise.. the night time drag scene is alive and kicking here ..

Next time Im taking my camera along..will post some pics and maybe a few videos..
chetanhanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 09:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

WOW!! Looks liek you had a blast!! Damn I wish I could have been there.....
islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 11:31   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Smell of burnt rubber ?? Wow , that would indeed have been a wonderful sight for all drag fanatics .. Though i wouldnt classify burning of clutch as exciting .. Seems u had a ball chetan , yes its not quite surprising that u get to see cars do under 10 secs there .. The cars are meant for that , built accordingly and driven as such as well ..

Just praying that someday in india we get to see such runs , such cars et all .. Damn , what we need now is a FIA spec completely rubberized dragstrip in our country .. So whose building one ??
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 22:26   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
Smell of burnt rubber ?? Wow , that would indeed have been a wonderful sight for all drag fanatics .. Though i wouldnt classify burning of clutch as exciting .. Seems u had a ball chetan , yes its not quite surprising that u get to see cars do under 10 secs there .. The cars are meant for that , built accordingly and driven as such as well ..
the slower ones were 9-10 seconds ...some were runing low as 6 seconds also but were not street legal
Im going again on this Thursday .. hopefully I'll be able to get pics/videos of cars doing wheelies..
Old 19th July 2006, 10:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Please get good pics and videos.

THE SLOWER ONES WERE DOING 9'S? WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 23:45   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
Please get good pics and videos.
THE SLOWER ONES WERE DOING 9'S? WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I will be using my digicam for the vids also .. its 5 mega pixel but its got only 3X zoom, so dont know how well the vids will come out ? and top of its going to be night time ...
Old 18th August 2006, 21:41   #7
BHPian

so? got any pics yet?
i have been to an nhra drag at raceway park in nj but was a bit too young to truley apreciate it.
heelntoe is offline   Reply With Quote