BHPian

Default re: Alto rear-ended by an Amaze: See the results

So after visiting the A.S.S, I get the following estimate
-Bumper price= 1.3K
-Painting cost for bumper= 3.5k
-Dent removal and painting the hatch door= 6.5k
-Total= Around 12.5K (with tax)

Now about the insurance claim:
S.K Wheels, Turbhe says the amount has to be borne by me at first and the insurance company will later transfer the money to the bank account. But the interesting part is that they said I will get back 50% of the total cost borne by me. So in short I just need to pay around 6.5K if I claim insurance.

C.G Motors at Rabale says i'll have to pay 50% of the bumper cost and 12.5% of the painting charges for both the bumper and hatch lid i.e. Rs.750 for the bumper and Rs.1250 for painting. That just accounts to around 2K.

So confused! Which one is actually true?
chinmaybaikar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 18:15   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmaybaikar View Post
-Bumper price= 1.3K

S.K Wheels, Turbhe says the amount has to be borne by me at first and the insurance company will later transfer the money to the bank account. But the interesting part is that they said I will get back 50% of the total cost borne by me. So in short I just need to pay around 6.5K if I claim insurance.
As I had earlier told you in my 1st post you should not accept the logic of ASCs of Maruti because they have got nothing better than just changing the damaged part. Did you ask them that if the dent can be removed by heating gun?

Secondly, You will be compensated later on et al is useless logic. So I think this 1st option is baseless and pathetic.

Quote:
C.G Motors at Rabale says i'll have to pay 50% of the bumper cost and 12.5% of the painting charges for both the bumper and hatch lid i.e. Rs.750 for the bumper and Rs.1250 for painting. That just accounts to around 2K.
Considering that it's your 1st family car and the fact that you want it to get back to perfection and look neat so this option is reasonable. 50% of 1300 is 650/- and 1250/- for paint means INR 1900 total. So opt for this option. How much time is to be taken to repair this damage?

Thanks
ad3952n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 22:51   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
-Bumper price= 1.3K

So confused! Which one is actually true?
If SK don't have a cashless tie up with your insurer then what he is stating is true. You will have to pay upfront and then file a claim with insurance co, who will in turn, reimburse you. In case of a cashless claim, insurance co will pay directly to the garage and any difference you have to pay.

Get a detailed quote from both and then compare. There might be differences in their labour rates or even component prices. If you indeed get it repaired from an A.S.S, go for the one that offers a cashless claim.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 23:14   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post

Chinmay: The Amaze was stopped in place most probably by the rear left wheel. Take your car to a Maruti dealer and check the left rear suspension
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
And the metal body behind the bumper surely would have been damaged a little, get that checked also. Looks like the Alto has taken the hit pretty well but i guess its mostly because of the Amaze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Have you totally forgotten about the huge metal panel behind the front bumper. While visible damage maybe much lesser the boot area where the spare tyre is and the sheet metal behind the rear bumper may have been pushed inside.
+1 to all of the above.
The bumper has cracked. That means the bumper did not fully absorb the impact of the hit and the jolt got transmitted/transferred further into the car's body.

Did the service center guys check the suspension? Or somehow verified that the damage is limited to the visible parts only?

EDIT: In one of your posts, you mentioned that your foot was off the brakes. Did the car roll forward on impact? That may result in lesser hidden damage. And good thinking by the way! Had you stood on the brakes, the damage would have probably been more.

Last edited by amitoj : 7th July 2014 at 23:16.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 23:28   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Secondly, You will be compensated later on et al is useless logic. So I think this 1st option is baseless and pathetic.
How is it useless logic? In case of MSIL doesn't have a cashless facility tie up with the insurance company then this is what is followed. The owner has to pay the amount and then gets the money reimbursed by the insurance company.
drmohitg is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 23:45   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
How is it useless logic? In case of MSIL doesn't have a cashless facility tie up with the insurance company then this is what is followed. The owner has to pay the amount and then gets the money reimbursed by the insurance company.
Mohit, My point is why one should run from pillar to post in order to claim the expenses later on? I might be orthodox in thinking but for me claiming insurance for damage in the car means that I should be compensated by the insurance company at hand.

We all know how ambiguous the insurance policies are. The "conditions apply" and non-customer friendly clauses makes me feel this way. I take the old route simply to avoid any type of delays and surprises by the insurance companies.

The car in question firstly did not need a insurance claim. However, it's the owners decision to take the call. As the owner is in process of deciding the next step so just shared my point of view with him.

Thanks.
ad3952n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 08:10   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post

We all know how ambiguous the insurance policies are. The "conditions apply" and non-customer friendly clauses makes me feel this way. I take the old route simply to avoid any type of delays and surprises by the insurance companies.
The old route is actually this only. Cashless facilities have just come up in the last few years. I agree that cashless is way better but there is no need to be apprehensive about the other method also if your service provider doesn't have a cashless tie up with the insurance company. The money Is reimbursed very quickly and swiftly. The surveyors usually inform you about the amount that will be covered under insurance beforehand. I wanted to clarify this so that the OP in this case can choose from either of the options without hesitation.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 10:14   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
-Bumper price= 1.3K
chinmaybaikar
Have you tried getting quote for the bumper from a Maruti Genuine spares dealer,and then getting a quote from an FNG?
It would be cheaper than going to the main dealer, and IMHO - just as good.
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 12:22   #39
BHPian

Default Re: Alto rear-ended by an Amaze: See the results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
If SK don't have a cashless tie up with your insurer then what he is stating is true. You will have to pay upfront and then file a claim with insurance co, who will in turn, reimburse you. In case of a cashless claim, insurance co will pay directly to the garage and any difference you have to pay.
I don't have a cashless claim so I will have to shell out the complete cost at first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
+1 to all of the above.
The bumper has cracked. That means the bumper did not fully absorb the impact of the hit and the jolt got transmitted/transferred further into the car's body.

Did the service center guys check the suspension? Or somehow verified that the damage is limited to the visible parts only?

EDIT: In one of your posts, you mentioned that your foot was off the brakes. Did the car roll forward on impact? That may result in lesser hidden damage. And good thinking by the way! Had you stood on the brakes, the damage would have probably been more.
The service center guys say that they will give the final quote only when they check the underbody and all other parts infront of the surveyor. And yes the car rolled forward and kissed a Honda City which cracked my number plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
chinmaybaikar
Have you tried getting quote for the bumper from a Maruti Genuine spares dealer,and then getting a quote from an FNG?
It would be cheaper than going to the main dealer, and IMHO - just as good.
That might be cheaper but considering the rainy season I am skeptical about the paint job which the FNG will carry out. Don't want any paint chipping or bubbles developing on the bumper later on. And they might not be able to match the exact color too I guess.

I stay in Navi Mumbai so help me out with a good garage nearby (Vashi, Koparkhairne).
chinmaybaikar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 12:47   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That might be cheaper but considering the rainy season I am skeptical about the paint job which the FNG will carry out. Don't want any paint chipping or bubbles developing on the bumper later on. And they might not be able to match the exact color too I guess.
Normally not a problem. Main cause for chipping / bubbles is incorrect paint prep work Before the paint goes on.
Regarding Paint color matching: Here's what I suggest, go and buy the paint yourself, from an auto paint store. That way you can ensure the paint shop guy mixes the paint exactly right. See my review (Auto Paint Shop - RM Paints (Delhi))of such a shop which clearly explains the process - not a simple matter of just inputting the code into the computer and have it mix the paint. The reason is that the factory colour would have faded with use. So it's important for someone to actually do a manual match - with your approval.

Quote:
I stay in Navi Mumbai so help me out with a good garage nearby (Vashi, Koparkhairne).
Can you check within the team bhp directory?
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 15:51   #41
BHPian

Damage is to Amaze doesnt amaze me. The vehicle in front may roll forward a bot but the rear vehicle takes the full impact.

I too was rear - ended by an Alto. My Santro's bumper registered three two-inch scratches. Alto's bumper, left fender and headlamp were damaged, along with a minor dent to the bonnet.
simplyself is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 17:55   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fun part
They guy couldn't get out of his car because his door wasn't opening completely. Probably because of the damage. I pulled his door open which apparently took a lot of strength. After he got out, the first thing he went to check was the rear end when clearly the maximum damage was done at the front
Lots of people claim that Maruti cars are not well built like European cars or American cars. I have also experienced similar incident like you. I am using my Dzire Vxi for last few years now. One fine day i was coming back home from office. In traffic i have to stop suddenly due to Santro stopping in front of me. I was doing speed of 30-40 KMPH max. After 2 seconds, i heard big noise & realized that somebody has hit me from back. Precisely left corner of my car. The impact was quite heavy & i was shocked. I got down of the car & saw that a Ford Fiesta (now classic) hit me hard on the rear left corner. He couldn't control his car & he promptly admitted that. Good elderly person in his mid fourties, must be working in some corporate (looking at his overall look & attire). First i inspected my car. As expected rear bumper has been damaged. It got cut in 1-2 places, i need to replace it for sure. Also bumper came off the car from its position. I immediately tried to fix it in its normal position by hand only & it got into position quickly, off course without proper fit. I need to change it for sure but it was not hanging so that i can drive with it. BTW, i replaced it after 4 months, it was in place for that period

Now i had a look at the Ford Fiesta. To my great surprise, it had got damaged very badly. He hit me on his front right corner. He lost his whole headlight assembly, front bumper, damaged front grill, side panel also got damaged i guess (not sure but) etc. Looking at this he was very depressed. I had a fight with him & asked to give me full money as i was not at fault at all. He accepted that & gave me Rs 1200 cash on the spot. I was asking him Rs 3000 but he showed his wallet to me which has that much money only. He was also telling me that he has also damaged his car badly. Looking at his cars condition, i said ok & finished the topic there itself by taking Rs 1200. Sadly it was dark & i couldn't take pictures, in fact i was not in mood to take any.

This incident changed my opinion about Maruti cars a lot. We had 4 Maruti's till now at home, always felt that all are tough cars in their own way. Never felt that build quality is poor.

Last edited by aniketi : 8th July 2014 at 17:58.
aniketi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 18:42   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Lots of people claim that Maruti cars are not well built like European cars or American cars. I have also experienced similar incident like you. I am using my Dzire Vxi for last few years now. One fine day i was coming back home from office. In traffic i have to stop suddenly due to Santro stopping in front of me. I was doing speed of 30-40 KMPH max. After 2 seconds, i heard big noise & realized that somebody has hit me from back. Precisely left corner of my car. The impact was quite heavy & i was shocked. I got down of the car & saw that a Ford Fiesta (now classic) hit me hard on the rear left corner. He couldn't control his car & he promptly admitted that. Good elderly person in his mid fourties, must be working in some corporate (looking at his overall look & attire). First i inspected my car. As expected rear bumper has been damaged. It got cut in 1-2 places, i need to replace it for sure. Also bumper came off the car from its position. I immediately tried to fix it in its normal position by hand only & it got into position quickly, off course without proper fit. I need to change it for sure but it was not hanging so that i can drive with it. BTW, i replaced it after 4 months, it was in place for that period

Now i had a look at the Ford Fiesta. To my great surprise, it had got damaged very badly. He hit me on his front right corner. He lost his whole headlight assembly, front bumper, damaged front grill, side panel also got damaged i guess (not sure but) etc. Looking at this he was very depressed. I had a fight with him & asked to give me full money as i was not at fault at all. He accepted that & gave me Rs 1200 cash on the spot. I was asking him Rs 3000 but he showed his wallet to me which has that much money only. He was also telling me that he has also damaged his car badly. Looking at his cars condition, i said ok & finished the topic there itself by taking Rs 1200. Sadly it was dark & i couldn't take pictures, in fact i was not in mood to take any.

This incident changed my opinion about Maruti cars a lot. We had 4 Maruti's till now at home, always felt that all are tough cars in their own way. Never felt that build quality is poor.
Car front is designed to absorb collision so front takes maximum damage. You can not compare build quality with such examples. My friends Alto collided with ertiga. Eritga did not suffer damage at all only minor bruises on rear bumper. But Alto's engine came down. Friend had to shell out 45000 on repair. Ertiga only needed simple paint job. In your case if front car was Fiesta and tailgating car was DZire, then DZire would have suffered similar damage under similar circumstances. And if you had been in Fiesta at that moment you had bought 4 fords till now at your home.

So my point is Front is designed to take such damage for pedestrian safety as well as occupants safety.

Last edited by sushantr5 : 8th July 2014 at 18:47.
sushantr5 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 20:47   #44
BHPian

My alto rear ended an indica once . No damage to the indica . My alto had deformed bonnet , both headlights plastic mounts broken , radiator and ac radiator broken , bumper broken . Had to refill ac gas after radiator was replaced . Just saying my alto was designed to get crushed to absorb the impact of the collision and save me . That's exactly what the amaze did . Btw this happened to me way back in 2005 .
anky is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 21:08   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Please try it out with a good A.S.S. These days the dust proof paint booths are installed at almost every A.S.S. There is no worry about matching the shade as they do a more or less perfect job.The charges are on the higher side for metallic shades, but the job done is to our satisfaction.The car may have to be left there for a day or two.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote