Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: Which do you like better?
Solo trip 69 49.64%
Group ride/ drive 70 50.36%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th September 2014, 01:31   #31

North and South islands in New Zealand. Covered over 3200 Kms with my wife and was the most memorable and scenic road trip.
advaninilesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2014, 03:47   #32
BHPian

Default Re: Your best road trip (Solo or in a group)

Best road trips in my view are solo. if in group, I would prefer that I am the only driver and they obey my instructions (at least on safety)!

My personal best road trips have been Delhi - Mohali pure solo and Delhi - Pune with only one non-driving person with me.
ameyawaghmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2014, 14:14   #33

My best road trip with my family was from Delhi to Kolkata, 1517 kms of pure bliss either side. There were a few interruptions for road conditions near Asansol and just entering durgapur in West bengal, and also near Sasaram in Bihar. Rest was a drivers treat.

As far as scenic drives is concerned, Delhi to Mcleodganj via NH1 till Phagwara, Hoshiyarpur, Chintapurni, Jwalaji, kangra and dharamsala is a drivers paradise. This 593 kms comes a very close 2nd.
Ashish Sharma.
sharma.ashish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2014, 18:07   #34
Senior - BHPian

My best road trip was from Coventry to Scotland (UK) and back. Reasons why it was the most memorable one is because -

* The car: We hired a BMW 3 series, the twin turbo engine with the compact dimensions was the perfect car for that trip.
* The roads: As soon as the motorway ends, you are greeted by awesome single lane and curvy roads in between the hills with snow clad mountains on one side and blue colored crystal clear lake on the other side.
* The landscape: The less said, the better. One of the most picturesque locations even seen in my life.
* The accomodation: We did not stay at 5* hotels, instead we stayed in affordable but beautiful huts by the lake side, with a fireplace, camping and BBQ dinner.
* The activities: Underwater boat rides, Mountain off road buggy driving, visiting the beautiful and enormous castles, etc.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2014, 18:26   #35
BANNED

I have never had a solo road trip yet (may be time for one). All my trips have either been with my wife, wife and kid, or with friends and family.

The best road trip was the first trip with my friends and family to waynad. We had hoped for many more of such trips, but have had only one after Waynad but the memories of that trip are still very fresh.
ILTDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2014, 20:27   #36
BHPian

Talking Any day, trips in groups

Trips for me is all about doing in Groups. The trips after bunking classes, trips in the name of projects & internships and to be honest I haven't tried a solo drive/ride above 50 KM till date, or quite frankly i wasn't allowed by my friends
Maybe I would have enjoyed a solo trip, or maybe not. To test it in real life I think, I shouldn't inform my friends that I'm going for a trip But then again for me, The trips are all about doing with friends and I myself will invite them.
Mr.ASG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2015, 17:05   #37
BHPian

Group Trip: I would say Tadoba trip with my family last November. Though I was disappointed that I couldnt drive my car but nevertheless it was awesome experience.

Solo Trip: Pune to Theur on a cycle when I was 10 years old. I had planned for this and casually asked my parents about it but they rejected straight away sighting that I am too young to ride a bicycle for that long. But next day, I just cycled all the way to Theur. When I came back and told my parents about it, they were like . Not to mention that I got scolding of my life after that.
fiesta1.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 09:41   #38

Out of sheer necessity I did a road trip (solo) from Noida, UP to Bangalore, Karnataka. At that time the Golden Quad was still a work in progress. So was the North-South-East-West corridor. It was 2100 kms of sheer fun driving. The first time was a combination of fun, thrill, anxiety. I was soo smitten by this experience, I did it again and again! I have done it thrice between Noida-BLR and boy! does it show you how vast and diverse our Nation is. Guess what! WagonR Duo pulled it off without any wear-tear. She is a keeper my WagonR!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th October 2015 at 09:49. Reason: u > you. Please avoid typing with excessive dots.... like.... this....
SRIADIANJU is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 14:41   #39
BHPian

I prefer the company of my wife and for jokers i have my kids and nephews nieces.
All of them have the travel bug deeply embedded.

Memorable trips
Chennai - BLR- Pune
Chennai to coimbatore(night drive hence very fond)
Dieseldunk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2015, 10:28   #40

Group Trip: Bangalore to Kannur on a Chevy beat with 3 of my friends. I remember it had taken us 11 hrs to reach the boat house. All credits to the bad road conditions after madikere and not having a proper GPS ;-). It was a long trip but thoroughly enjoyed every moment. That was also my longest drive till then.

Solo: Bangalore to Hampi on a XUV500. This was a different experience altogether. No talking, listening to favorite songs (without any song change requests), stopping anywhere n everywhere to enjoy the nature or for tea, no hurry to reach the destination. It was fun.
relichunter is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2015, 12:04   #41
BHPian

Have done a few road trips - mostly with family (wife and kids)

Started off in 2007 - Mumbai to Mangalore and back in Tata Indica Xeta (when the roads were a mess)

2008- Mumbai to Goa and back

2009 - Mumbai to Goa and back

2010 - Mumbai to Mangalore - Bangalore and back (with friends)

2012 - Mumbai to Bangalore and back

Few more to Panchgani, Shirdi, Daman etc etc.

The best was this year in May 2015 (Honda ZXi)
Started Mumbai to Coorg (all thanks to this forum for route plans). Stayed at Serene Woods - the best place we as a family could have planned. Real adventure trip. Thalakauveri, drives around Chikamanglur.

Then drove to Mangalore (Vanshi) stayed at a friends place and then drove to Goa and returned home

One of the most memorable trip ever!

Having said that I think it also the company, the moments, the stops, the memories and the places where you stay that makes these trips worthy of a revisit.

I intend going to Coorg again. Cant wait for it. Wife is insisting on going to Velankanni, but will see how I can plan that. Pretty occupied with work.
saildrive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2015, 13:13   #42
BHPian

one of the Best road trip for me was Hassan -> Chikmagalur -> Kemmannugundi -> Sringeri -> Horanadu -> Mudigere ->Hassan

- This was with my parents, wife and kids
- Accent GVS

best part of the drive for me was from Sringeri to Horanadu. Not-so-good of a road, but the drive is through winding ghats, river on one side and coffee estates on the other sides and ultimately Horanadu which in itself is a beauty.

Funny part in this trip was that, I took a wrong route(which turned to be best) from Chikkamagalur to Kemmannugundi and we entered dense forest and mountains and there were no roads(read roads with just md and stones) and the car had to travel almost at 30 degree most of the time. it took me 2.5 hours to cover 25 Kilometers and the only vehicle I spotted at about mid way was an Innova which was also lost. I asked the driver howz the road ahead in hopes of getting a positive response, he said worst part has ended for him, which means what I had already covered was the better part Post that conversation, it took me an hour and half to reach Kemmannugundi. But, it was worth it as we got the best view of mountains and dense forests which is what I live for.

Following one is also the best of the trips, I have ever done in life. Though not a drive, I and Wife did a 3 days trip to Jog, Gokarana, Murdeshwar, Udupi, Agumbe, Sringeri, Horanadu in a combination of train and bus. attached is the Travelogue I had written it then.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Travelogue(3 days out of the mechanical life).pdf (515.8 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by karthikd21 : 18th October 2015 at 13:30. Reason: Spelling mistake
karthikd21 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote