Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 22nd July 2014, 16:13   #1
BHPian

Angry The pathetic Dindoshi Flyover @ Goregaon, Mumbai

If youíre a Mumbaikar, then you very well know the pain of driving on our pathetic city roads and especially during the monsoon.

As our city grew bigger, there was a need for wider roads and flyovers to accommodate the ever growing car population in our city. But, I really donít know, whether this has actually done any good for this cityís motorist or has it done more harm. We had to go through the traffic snarls all through the construction phase of these flyovers and now when the construction is completed things just get worst as far as traffic is concerned, thanks to the quality of work performed by the corrupt officials involved.

The flyover in question in particular is the Dindoshi Flyover in Goregaon which was opened to Public in 1999. Now, many of us living in the city know the pathetic condition this particular flyover has been in the last few years. Just recently it was shut for 45 days to carry repair works.

This was the condition of the flyover, while the repair works were going on. (Courtesy Google)

Name:  07Traffic.jpg
Views: 4867
Size:  227.7 KB

Name:  Bridge_2.jpg
Views: 1745
Size:  122.3 KB

Now itís been just over a month since the flyover was reopened post the repair work was completed and the condition is no different. The entire layer of Tar which was laid in summer has been washed away and the surface has become uneven with gravel all over. It just canít get any worst then this and thousands of commuters have to suffer daily due to corrupt practices adopted by the people involved in constructing these flyovers.

Just a few days back some activists have approached the CM over the issue, but I really have my doubts that we can accept any positive outcomes as everyone would just blame each other for the mess.

You can further read about it on the below link

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/38563397.cms

Further, in 2013 the citizens of Raipur had named potholes after some local politicians of that area. I donít know whether the same would be effective in Mumbai and whether we could even try doing something like that.

You can read about the Raipur incident on the below link

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/22225239.cms

But the best one, was what the Russians did, they drew the faces of politicians around the potholes in 2012. It got the concerned peopleís attention and the potholes were covered up soon after. Sadly this wont be possible in our case, due to the number of potholes that we have to deal with.

Few images of that incident. (Courtesy Google)

Name:  russia1.jpg
Views: 1332
Size:  77.6 KB

Name:  russia2.jpg
Views: 1398
Size:  197.9 KB

Name:  russia4.jpg
Views: 1374
Size:  109.4 KB

But, seriously, canít we as a community do something about it?
SnS_12 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014, 16:34   #2
BHPian

Default re: The pathetic Dindoshi Flyover @ Goregaon, Mumbai

It is simply pathetic. I don't use the flyover, but as per what people told me, at the time of its repair commuting on W.E. highway was a nightmare.

I was expecting that this time they will make some solid repairs and things won't repeat, but we know how things turned out to be.

A few days back, a friend who works at the new T2 terminal was telling me how fast they built the approach flyover to the terminal. Since the inauguration was to be done by The PM and they couldn't delay it, they built it so well in such short time.

It's all about priorities, if they want they can even get the Dindoshi flyover in top condition, but then they just don't want to miss out on any opportunity to gobble up money.

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014, 19:36   #3
BHPian

I can't believe the ludicrity of the first image. 6 real lanes of traffic (translates to 8-9 lanes in India) forced into 2 stupid freaking lanes? And look at how horrible the "lane" between the mounds is. Incredible! Nobody in the municipal corporation seems to care either. Insane!
hellmet is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014, 21:49   #4
BHPian

While I myself haven't experienced the inconvenience caused by the flyover's WIP, a very close friend of mine had to resort to taking the train from Kandivali to Mahalakshmi and then to Worli just because the driving time had increased to an odd three and a half hours proving to be simply too tiresome.

I just loved the way the Russian tackled the issue and I believe it would turn heads here too.

Last edited by Turbo_Torq : 22nd July 2014 at 21:51.
Turbo_Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2014, 11:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Agree with hellmet, why not close one side of the flyover completely? What are they trying to achieve by keeping this one tiny lane open? Not aware of the ground situation there but am very intrigued by that first pic!

As for flying over flyovers, well, every Delhiwallah would want that, with the bottlenecks continuing on every frigin' flyover!
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2014, 16:44   #6
BHPian

Default Re: The pathetic Dindoshi Flyover @ Goregaon, Mumbai

This piece of s*#@ along with all the other pot hole ridden roads of Mumbai are a shame on the city which is the financial hub of the country. It amazes and angers me at the same time that the MMRDA and BMC cannot provide a single stretch of smooth tarmac.

The Western Express Highway is a patch of concrete, tar, cobble blocks and what not. I hope our Prime Minister can personally look into this nexus of building poor quality roads.

BTW I pass through this mess daily and it takes me at least an hour (on a good day!) to travel a distance of mere 10kms!!

This flyover (if I may call it) is also a significant contributor to the Anger Management Issues that most motorists in Mumbai suffer through.

Last edited by trek : 23rd July 2014 at 16:55.
trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2014, 16:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The pathetic Dindoshi Flyover @ Goregaon, Mumbai

In my view, they should demolish the flyover from its present state and make an east-west flyover. The current traffic is North-south bound but the junction is such that major vehicular movement is east west. This will choke the roads.

It is all about precision planning and foresights. Dindoshi flyover starts where Malad flyover ends; why couldnt they make one long flyover like Kashimira flyover?
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote