Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2014, 12:44   #1
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 531
Thanked: 350 Times
Default Drove on dirt road, cop wants to fine me for rash driving

Today, I had to experience or rather be a victim of traffic police cheating.

I was normally coming to office. There is an area (Uppal X roads in Hyderabad) where Metro construction is going on and there is some 50-70 mts of Traffic jam. Pillars are located in the middle of the road, and the area near by pillars doesn’t have any road because of the construction happened.

Seeing the huge traffic, i took a right and went through the sand road. This will be the right lane, if Tar has been put on the road. I haven’t violated any rules. I didn’t ram into any vehicle.

Just after crossing 20 mts or so, Traffic police stops my vehicle. Demands for licence which i duly show. Now he wants me to pay a fine of 1000 for Rash driving. I ask why? For which he doesn’t have any answer.

The argument went on for 1 hour or so. Trust me. I haven’t got any explanation other than rash driving. I really do not understand how one could do a rash driving in a traffic jam. If i take a dirt road on the right, which is officially the fast lane, how come i have violated the rules?

They write a challan and ask me to sign on the same. I duly rejected it. They wrote, “refusing to sign” and later, i was taken to Police station. I really do not understand why Police station came into picture. I should have been taken to Traffic police station, if i have violated any rules.

They started threatening that they will tow my vehicle away and damage the complete front part. Today i am Mad. I am hell MAD.

I argue the same with the CI of the Police station. He hasn’t said anything. Neither he complained about my driving. He understood the scenario. He didn’t say anything. I was actually surprised. But the Traffic police who is the culprit started saying, “He should pay fine for Rash driving”

They took my licence and RC. Now i am planning to take the same forward and discuss the same with traffic commissioner and others. If i have violated a rule, i am more than happy to pay the fines. But, without violating any rules, i really do not understand why i am asked to pay the fines. On what basis these guys behave this way?

I have been in the assumption that one who is hard working, good, talented or so will try to leave this country because many of them are unfit to make a living here. Now, I feel my name should be added to that list too. I know what my thoughts are wrong, but the system in India are pathetic. My Blood is pumping like anything. My brain stopped working because of the idiocy shown by government officials

Last edited by gemi_kk : 8th August 2014 at 12:45. Reason: Improving Readability
gemi_kk is offline   (14) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 12:52   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,398
Thanked: 3,422 Times
Default re: Drove on dirt road, cop wants to fine me for rash driving

Just a case of Ego on part of the cop there. Sometimes they try to flag you down thinking that the person will relent or might not have all the documents of the car and end up paying them some amount. Any amount is good for them. Once in a while when they catch hold of someone like you who is willing to challenge them, it really throws them into unknown territory and they start behaving like a moron. I am sure you will be able to extract out an apology out of the cop if you complain to the higher ups and post on facebook and all. IMO driving on that sand track is not a violation of any rule. Although morally I do feel that it adds to the traffic jam as at some point of time you are bound to join the main file of traffic which is driving on the tarred road and end up obstructing and cutting into that lane. But still don't think it will make up for rash driving.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 12:54   #3
Team-BHP Support
 
Rudra Sen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,327
Thanked: 3,832 Times
Default re: Drove on dirt road, cop wants to fine me for rash driving

Mod note: Thread moved to Street and Travel Experiences.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 12:58   #4
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 531
Thanked: 350 Times
Default re: Drove on dirt road, cop wants to fine me for rash driving

Forgot to mention the following.

- I have not used not even a single bad/foul word.
- i have been politely asking for a reason on why i should pay the challan. Some times i raised my voice and just asked only one thing. Explanation for holding me wrong. I asked them "Why i should pay the fine? Tell me the reason." I asked this a hundred plus times.

At the end, they used foul words. They broke my car key chain. they behaved very rudely with a Citizen who hasn't violated any rules.
gemi_kk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 13:08   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
mallumowgli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Palakkad/Coimbatore
Posts: 1,087
Thanked: 684 Times
Default re: Drove on dirt road, cop wants to fine me for rash driving

Did the challan mention any reason for the fine? I think the law states that you are supposed to follow what the traffic police's instructions, even if you feel that there is no violation on your part. Means, you pay the fine first and then take it up with the appropriate authorities for being wrongly penalised
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 13:10   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 98
Thanked: 53 Times
Default re: Drove on dirt road, cop wants to fine me for rash driving

Hopefully someone from Hyderabad reads this thread and can help you out with getting your voice to the authorities who can deliver swift justice to you.
This is a ridiculous abuse of power.
Anghammarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 13:20   #7
BHPian
 
latentpotential's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: IIM, Ahmedabad
Posts: 497
Thanked: 332 Times
Default re: Drove on dirt road, cop wants to fine me for rash driving

Even the traffic cops put you in a spot, ensure you have their names and associated details. Post incident and penalty payment, follow up again with an RTI. If they are in the wrong (as you say) they can end up being heavily penalized, plus get an official bad remark. You will need to do some extra work for this, including taking pictures, and videos of the location where the incident happened, clearly showing what were the possibilities.
latentpotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 13:25   #8
BHPian
 
rm_arjuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 445
Thanked: 52 Times
Default re: Drove on dirt road, cop wants to fine me for rash driving

i have been challaned couple of times for no traffic violation which i have not paid,no amount of arguing will help unless you know someone in higherups which is a hard fact .Traffic cops are goons in uniform and their only aim is to fleece public and earn money ,even yesterday a constable was caught by ACB with 16000 Rs.

Legally you are entitled to register any new vehicle within 1 month of purchase ,however traffic cops stop almost all new vehicle and take bribe , i was stopped while riding back from the showroom on the day of delivery when i showed the invoice the cop has the cheap mentality to ask tips of Rs.100 to drink barley water for my new bike . Sorry state of affairs
rm_arjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 13:38   #9
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 531
Thanked: 350 Times
Default re: Drove on dirt road, cop wants to fine me for rash driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Did the challan mention any reason for the fine? I think the law states that you are supposed to follow what the traffic police's instructions, even if you feel that there is no violation on your part. Means, you pay the fine first and then take it up with the appropriate authorities for being wrongly penalised
It says Section 184. And i am against Cellphone driving. I had some close encounters earlier who were driving while using their phone and damaged my car. i promised myself that i will never do that mistake and wont let others suffer from my idiocy.

That specific police officer works at a Traffic police station, which is near my home.

Last edited by gemi_kk : 8th August 2014 at 13:39.
gemi_kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 13:38   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 4,924
Thanked: 1,912 Times
Red face re: Drove on dirt road, cop wants to fine me for rash driving

@gemi_kk
I guess the Cop had a real bad day before he met you and must be trying to vent out his frustration by using the powers.

Can you elaborate as to why did you take the route which wasnt there in the first place? I am sure you must have set a precedent to others to break the traffic. When there was a traffic jam, you should have ideally waited for your turn to move. Instead you took a wrong way of beating the traffic. I normally have seen this kind of act at signals in Mumbai when vehicles try to squeeze their way between vehicles and in turn block the movement.

The best course in situations where you confront the cops is to be calm and talk logic. If one flares, then it irks the cop in a big way. The loser then would be the commuter since he cant do anything with the law enforcing people.
ghodlur is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 13:44   #11
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 531
Thanked: 350 Times
Default re: Drove on dirt road, cop wants to fine me for rash driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@gemi_kk
I guess the Cop had a real bad day before he met you and must be trying to vent out his frustration by using the powers.

Can you elaborate as to why did you take the route which wasnt there in the first place? I am sure you must have set a precedent to others to break the traffic. When there was a traffic jam, you should have ideally waited for your turn to move. Instead you took a wrong way of beating the traffic. I normally have seen this kind of act at signals in Mumbai when vehicles try to squeeze their way between vehicles and in turn block the movement.

The best course in situations where you confront the cops is to be calm and talk logic. If one flares, then it irks the cop in a big way. The loser then would be the commuter since he cant do anything with the law enforcing people.
Mate, i didn't violate any rules. As said, Metro construction is going on in the middle of the road. And close to the pillars, there is no road because of the construction happening. I took a right. Please note that this will be the right late, if road is put. If i did a left overtake, i can understand. but for overtaking from right. I am going bonkers.

If they are ready to talk, why wouldn't i? They are not ready to give a reason but what me to pay. This is why the whole ordeal happened. If they could give a reason, then why would i confront them. Their inability to answer my question made me to question hard for an appropriate answer.
gemi_kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 14:05   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
Deeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Delhi/Noida
Posts: 1,087
Thanked: 63 Times
Default re: Drove on dirt road, cop wants to fine me for rash driving

What happened in the end? Did you pay the fine and get your documents back or have you still not paid and the documents are confiscated?
Deeps is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 14:19   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
ad3952n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Noida (U.P)
Posts: 1,583
Thanked: 1,835 Times
Default re: Drove on dirt road, cop wants to fine me for rash driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Mate, i didn't violate any rules. As said, Metro construction is going on in the middle of the road. And close to the pillars, there is no road because of the construction happening. I took a right. Please note that this will be the right late, if road is put. If i did a left overtake, i can understand. but for overtaking from right. I am going bonkers.
That's the actual culture of Traffic cops in majority. In Delhi NCR it gets even worse. Now, I have certain queries buddy:

1) As the metro construction is going on so was there a diversion sign board?

2) Did any other vehicle followed the same alternative path as you did?

3) Was there any type of signal put up to stop the vehicles?

As a suggestion, If you have a dash cam in your car then show the recording to the traffic commissioner and challenge the challan in court. Also, Stop burning your blood over these unreasonable cops as you will not get a suitable reply from them.

Take Care.
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 14:25   #14
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 531
Thanked: 350 Times
Default re: Drove on dirt road, cop wants to fine me for rash driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
That's the actual culture of Traffic cops in majority. In Delhi NCR it gets even worse. Now, I have certain queries buddy:

1) As the metro construction is going on so was there a diversion sign board?
2) Did any other vehicle followed the same alternative path as you did?
3) Was there any type of signal put up to stop the vehicles?
As a suggestion, If you have a dash cam in your car then show the recording to the traffic commissioner and challenge the challan in court. Also, Stop burning your blood over these unreasonable cops as you will not get a suitable reply from them.
Take Care.
I am planning to get a dash cam.
There will not be any sign board. because i am on the right side of the road. And i am besides the divider, in the right direction.

| | |
| o| |
| ^ | |
| | | |
| | |
| | |

I have put an arrow mark on the left lane. And O is the place where i was. Rest of the traffic in center lane, i and some bikers on right lane. didnt see back to check who all are in right lane.
gemi_kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 15:00   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
ad3952n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Noida (U.P)
Posts: 1,583
Thanked: 1,835 Times
Default re: Drove on dirt road, cop wants to fine me for rash driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
I am planning to get a dash cam.
There will not be any sign board. because i am on the right side of the road. And i am besides the divider, in the right direction.

| | |
| o| |
| ^ | |
| | | |
| | |
| | |

I have put an arrow mark on the left lane. And O is the place where i was. Rest of the traffic in center lane, i and some bikers on right lane. didnt see back to check who all are in right lane.
Seeing the diagram I am of the following opinion:

o I I
^


1) You appear to be on the left side of the motorcycles but definitely in the right lane. No wrong overtaking is there in my opinion.

2) Rash driving in the traffic is not possible in all sensibilities of a sane driver.

3) Cop was trying to stop the traffic and did not want anyone to pass/ move for a few seconds.

4) The missing diversion board is not understood by me. Here in Delhi we have diversion marking at places where Metro construction is there. It appears as a clear case of poor signage.

5) Knowing that he can't book you for any reasonable fault, the cop has made illegitimate use of his power. As you said "The officer did not speak anything after understanding whole scenario" clearly shows you are not at fault rather the cop's ego is pricey it seems.

To avoid such untoward incidents in future please get a dash-cam soon.

Thanks
ad3952n is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fast driving is not rash driving - Delhi HC tsk1979 Shifting gears 26 18th April 2011 12:20
Lost my driving licence. Then got a challan for rash driving! DNM Street Experiences 36 2nd March 2011 16:25
Driving testdrive cars in a rash manner Endofdayz Street Experiences 31 21st November 2009 04:46
In case of rash driving call... quadra Street Experiences 49 27th September 2008 11:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:28.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks