Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: Can speed cameras reduce mishaps on our roads?
Yes 26 60.47%
No 6 13.95%
Maybe 11 25.58%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th September 2014, 00:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Question Can speed cameras reduce road mishaps?

Folks! With the revision of speed for 2 & 4 Wheeler respectively by the Govt. Of India, do you think that the speed cameras will be helpful in detecting over-speeding now in India? Can these cameras prevent mishaps on our roads which are caused by over-speeding?

Or, the Penalty/ Fine model as implemented by the government recently is sufficient enough to turn an insane driver into a sane driver in our country?

Opinions welcomed!

Thanks.
ad3952n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2014, 00:27   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Folks! With the revision of speed for 2 & 4 Wheeler respectively by the Govt. Of India, do you think that the speed cameras will be helpful in detecting over-speeding now in India? Can these cameras prevent mishaps on our roads which are caused by over-speeding?
"Working & monitored" speed camera may get an improvement but not the solution.

The solution lies in us - 50% of it!

We all need to change and get practical + patient. Unnecessary honking, Lane changing, day dreaming, mobile phone usage all need to get out of our brains to make our roads simple, systematic and driveable.

Increasing fines without taking bribes will get a fear in the minds and if these fines are sent with proofs from the speed camera, road users will think twice before behaving like a maniac.

What's your thought and vote?

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 4th September 2014 at 00:28.
a4anurag is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2014, 00:32   #3
BHPian

Default Re: Can speed cameras reduce road mishaps?

This model is quite effective in Bangalore. Here you do not find free roads as such due to heavily ingested traffic conditions..hence when one gets a free wide stretch ,cars/bikers try to test their limits which in fact is dangerous to others.

I have observed that people taking same path everyday know where speed guns are installed and THEY DO slow down in its range,only fear being heavy fine or DL confiscation.

It also curbs drunken drive to much extent here. Rest the fact is traffic conditions are very pathetic during peak office hours .

Last edited by GTO : 8th September 2014 at 11:31. Reason: Typos
ashish_BHP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 4th September 2014, 00:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
What's your thought and vote?
Anurag, to be honest, the driving culture in India if improves then these fines and cameras can be cut off and a safe experience of driving can be enjoyed. But my thought appears to be far fetched. More so, in the present scenario, I don't find our speed interceptors being capable enough of monitoring the new limits.

Thanks.

Last edited by ad3952n : 4th September 2014 at 00:34.
Old 4th September 2014, 08:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have voted yes.
I had watched a documentary on Nat Geo or Discovery, where they showed policemen placing life-size cutouts of police cars at crucial places. Surveys had shown that just that motorists' minds cannot easily figure out that it is a fake car from long distances, and they slow down.

Once and Indian motorist gets fined a few times for overspeeding, she/he will automatically slow down at the sight of a camera, whether it is working or not!
rohanjf is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2014, 08:39   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
...do you think that the speed cameras will be helpful in detecting over-speeding now in India? Can these cameras prevent mishaps on our roads which are caused by over-speeding?

Or, the Penalty/ Fine model as implemented by the government recently...
Speed cameras and penalties/fines are linked to each other, isn't it? Automated speed cameras capture the registration plate of the offending car, and the image is sent to the owner as evidence with the penalty notice.

There will, however, be one or two foreseeable problems in the near future if such a mechanism is implemented...
Not sure how many of you are aware of this, but Delhi Traffic Police has lately stopped sending penalty notices to owners of cars violating traffic rules. >50% of such notices end up in uncollected penalties or losses to the department, and the reasons are:
1. Addressee unknown / owner sold vehicle / fake registration number;
2. Owner does not respond to notice and pay fine, requiring further action and court summons to be served by DTP personnel;
3. Owner contests notice in court, leading often to higher costs than penalty collected, or the case being dismissed by magistrate.

In light of the above, DTP has stopped sending notices by post; whatever they can collect by stopping offending vehicles, they do. Those that run away are not pursued further at present (though the registration number goes into their database). Of course, if their personnel is injured in the process of someone running away, they pursue the matter very aggressively.

But yes, speed cameras will definitely be a deterrent to overspeeding as they are all over the world, provided they are installed in adequate numbers, and (most of them) work
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2014, 09:37   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Even before the top-speeds were increased, speed-cams were effective in reducing accidents on Kerala roads - read some stats but don't have the link. So, should not be any different with the higher allowed speeds.

Only thing is the state-cars don't come under the purview of speed-cams and speed like there is no tomorrow. So, Govt cars should also be brought under control.
Which incidentally is like asking the cat to bell itself.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2014, 09:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Not sure how many of you are aware of this, but Delhi Traffic Police has lately stopped sending penalty notices to owners of cars violating traffic rules. >50% of such notices end up in uncollected penalties
I agree sir, hostility has begun to show up lately on their part. Ever since the revision of speed has been implemented, I for one have not seen any interceptor on high-speed roads like DND or even at the Gurgaon toll.

This actually is the apathy, that implementation of rule does not go hand-in-hand with required technical advancements i.e upgrading/ updating the interceptor fleet with needful data/ equipment so that they are able to prosecute the offenders much more actively like the way they used to do sometime back.

Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 10:17   #9
BHPian

Road and civic sense will reduce road mishaps by 50 to 60%. The rest is enforcement by the law and basic awareness by the general population as well. Pedestrians included.
sumathindra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2014, 10:28   #10
BHPian

They sure did, in my case. Suddenly, I see a couple women crossing the busy airport road. Had it not been for the speed camera threat, things would have been different.
These village women were actually taking the speed camers for granted!
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2014, 10:55   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Even before the top-speeds were increased, speed-cams were effective in reducing accidents on Kerala roads - read some stats but don't have the link. So, should not be any different with the higher allowed speeds.
@supremeBaleno, Sir you have made a good point, however, the problem still persists. Regular commuters are now aware of the camera coverage and behave well in the areas where the Cameras are present, Once out of Coverage area all hell breaks loose.

Case in point : last month i was travelling from nedumbassery to pune with a stop oever at my BIL's place in trissur. My BIL being a regular commuter on the bypass, knew exactly where the cameras were and at the other stretches was cruising at over 120. Reason given, need to work out his car, which otherwise runs around the (in) famous chock-a-block thrissur Round/ Kuruppam Road.

As long as the under-the-table means of payment exist, imposing heavy fines which will deter over speeding is a distant dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
"Working & monitored" speed camera may get an improvement but not the solution.

The solution lies in us - 50% of it!
Fully agree with your view sir, As drivers if every one takes time to respect the rules, our highways would be more stress free and safe.

I think it's high time the manufacturers of automobile remind the drivers that they are not Wiley "the coyote" from the famous Road Runner series. While Wiley can get away unscathed from a crash, it may not hold true for us mortals.. Beep - BeeP

Cheers
kutoos is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2014, 11:34   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutoos View Post
@supremeBaleno, Sir you have made a good point, however, the problem still persists. Regular commuters are now aware of the camera coverage and behave well in the areas where the Cameras are present, Once out of Coverage area all hell breaks loose.

Case in point : last month i was travelling from nedumbassery to pune with a stop oever at my BIL's place in trissur. My BIL being a regular commuter on the bypass, knew exactly where the cameras were and at the other stretches was cruising at over 120. Reason given, need to work out his car, which otherwise runs around the (in) famous chock-a-block thrissur Round/ Kuruppam Road.

Cheers
Very true !! Also another problem which has cropped up is that I have seen people suddenly reducing speed just before the camera resulting in rear end crashes .
alexpaul is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2014, 12:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Definitely reduced accidents here. However as Alex pointed out, people tend slow down quickly when they see the camera leading to some accidents and close calls. Also, there are many mobile apps nowadays that's got the entire location of cameras. People speed and upon reaching near the camera they slow down. Some people dont even mind paying the fine as they want to make up for the lost time in the city. It takes around 2 months for the challan to reach the owner. Manage this effectively, collect fines without any delay and people will tend to take this seriously. I have also seen speed cameras located at the side of the road rather than the conventional position which is on the median. These cams on the road side are hard to notice and this will definitely help generate many fines. For people who didnt know about this, here's the link to check the pending charges:
http://www.payment.keralapolice.gov.in/

Last edited by naveen.raju : 4th September 2014 at 12:32.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2014, 15:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

Voted Yes.

More than the speed, in our country, it's the negligence and carelessness that causes accidents. Think about rear endings. It might be blamed on overspeeding but it can happen even at 30! On the positive side, the damage will be a lot less at slower speeds. Speed cameras should be setup in pairs or a network so as to catch the offenders based on average speeds rather than instantaneous speed. Moreover, these same cameras can also be setup to record and prosecute dangerous driving - cutting lanes etc.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2014, 16:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Unless we can cover the whole stretch of roads with cameras, not much will change. What we get now is people 'pretending' to behave themselves when around an interceptor or traffic camera.

It's the same 'do it for the police' attitude as the majority take to helmets and seat belts. Unless we start driving safely for safety's sake, no amount of policing will help beyond a point. Not to forget that it's almost literally impossible for the authorities to have eyes (human or tech) everywhere, when they're so grossly understaffed and underfunded. Who will pay for the extra eyes and tech, and the myriad of administrative tasks required post-facto?

About time we put the onus on the driver to mend their ways, or let Darwin sort them out, as he eventually does.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th September 2014 at 16:15.
Chetan_Rao is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote