Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 30th July 2006, 12:38   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
These guys were not supposed be sleeping on the footpath.
Shan2nu
Jay walkers are not supposed to cross the road where ever they want as well.. you will be in for a major surprise if you hit someone crossing a road and then claim he should have crossed the road only at a zebra crossing or a traffic signal.
w 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2006, 14:50   #32
BANNED

Yes, but jay walking is still technically against the law.
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2006, 17:45   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
Yes, but jay walking is still technically against the law.
Try hitting a jaywalker intentionally during your next drive..and then tell him he was asking for it as he was technically against the law..

Even mithun chakraboty or amir - garib dialogues will not save you from mobs IMO
Old 31st July 2006, 00:09   #34
BANNED

So are you advocating mob psychology instead of rule of law?

In that case, I have no argument with you.
Old 31st July 2006, 11:40   #35
BHPian

I am advocating Pragmatism and not hairsplitting of law because I believe even a pavement dweller is entitled to his life.

If you want to justify loss of a life because you feel technically they should not be sleeping there, even I have no argument with you.

let's agree to disagree on this.

Last edited by w 12 : 31st July 2006 at 11:41.
Old 31st July 2006, 11:57   #36
BANNED

OK I have tried not to post here but I guess I cant.
Here's my PoV.. the person driving the car was drunk.. well she shouldnt have been driving at all in that state.
The person sleeping on the footpath shouldnt have been there but he was.
Do 2 wrongs really make a right?
This is India.. a place I am VERY SORRY TO SAY.. has laws which are ancient and followed depending on the whim's and fancies of the officer you go in front off's mood.. if he's having a good day.. your let go.. if not.. your buggered!
Whatever anyone here advocates.. pragmatism/hairsplitting/mob mentality etc etc etc does not change the fact that 2 people are dead...the law was broken by a drunk driver..and thats that.
BUT does the person/persons involved in this fiasco have to be made an example of when just a few years ago Salman Khan did the same thing and to all intents and purpouses was let go almost scott free?
I was under the (mis)conception that the law is equal for all in the land.. but then sad to say I guess I was WRONG!
Cheers.
2L8uLoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2006, 15:37   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12
Why is driving a car on pavement / footpath inevitable ? Only Roads and not footpaths are meant for cars AFAIK.
Some reasons - drunk driving, car breakdowns, faulty brakes, bad roads, underage/untrained drivers..... thats the reason why those of us who can afford to build solid walls which cannot be easily breached. When a person sleeps in the open (especially by the side of the road), they need to (am sure they do, but probably dont have much choice in the matter) understand that they are at greater risk of being run over and probably dying. It could be by cycle, stray animals or automobiles. If you count the no. of vehicles on the roads now-a-days (considering that we seem to have more vehicles than roads) and the no. of people who sleep by bombay roads, then even a 0.1% chance would mean multiple incidents each night. At some point of time or the other, the law of averages will catch up.......
Wheeliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2006, 17:55   #38
BANNED

W12, at no point have I justified loss of life or suggested that pavement dwellers have no right to life. But I don't think they're totally blameless either. Because there is a law against what they are doing.

Ok let's end this one on the agree to disagree note.
Old 2nd August 2006, 18:36   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK
Sir,sorry but they have no where to go so they choose the footpaths which are meant to walk not drive...
I would like to also say that we need to know our capabilities to handle a car,its not going to run as you think after all its a machine that is controlled by man..
Drive Safe guys!!
well, I could always say -

When will people learn how to Breed, and control population?

My parents have 1 child (myself), and I have an adopted child, like a responsible citizen.
So why should i face the burden due to other peoples indecent behaviour in my own country?

Thats the difference between Indians and civilized world.
We would rather fight and throw stones and break the law like it doesnt matter.

Last edited by eflanker : 2nd August 2006 at 18:40.
eflanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 19:52   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflanker
When will people learn how to Breed, and control population?

My parents have 1 child (myself), and I have an adopted child, like a responsible citizen.
So why should i face the burden due to other peoples indecent behaviour in my own country?
More power to you and your Parents,But

Even in countries with zero population growth overspeeding and rashdriving is still a crime. And no car driver has the license to reduce the population of India by rash driving.

And If some one was sleeping on footpath, the actual users of footpath, the walkers or the law will take care of them. A cars place is still on the road.

Overspeeding and loosing control of the car , going on a footpath and killing people , and then running away from the scene is not really decent behaviour either IMO.
Old 3rd August 2006, 13:35   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771
no one fled fom the scene the car belongs to my friend but he was not driving it as for the girl first thing she did was she went to the police station along with her friend while my friend(owner of the car) stayed at the accident site
these media guys need to write some crap to make it more interesting
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2006, 14:54   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
It may be illegal to sleep on the footpath. But the driver is still legally liable for running over pavement dwellers. That is the way the law works and I think it is right. There are many other similar scenarios -- e.g. most of our pedestrians cross the road illegally -- they are supposed to go to a pedestrian crossing and then maybe wait for the traffic signal, but they seldom do. That doesn't mean that our drivers should be able to get away with running them over. It is still the driver's responsiblity to ensure safety of pedestrians.
Very aptly put, rks.
Sleeping on the pavement might be illegal (though I am not sure whether there is any law specifically mentioning this). But then, an automobile has no reason to be on the pavement, which is for pedestrians use.
Comparing the crime of "mowing down 2 people with a car" and the so-called illegal act of "sleeping on the pavement" is illogical and cruel. The gravity of the crime needs to be taken into consideration too.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2006, 21:21   #43
BHPian

This is a very unfortunate incident.

Hopefully it will dissuade people from sleeping on the pavements (and I've also seen people sleeping on the roads).

Of course the culprit here was the drunk driver. But if the law is just, then the drunk driver could only be punished for the offense of drunk driving, and not for murder or manslaughter because the victims were also breaking a law.
theEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2006, 21:53   #44
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd
This is a very unfortunate incident.

Hopefully it will dissuade people from sleeping on the pavements (and I've also seen people sleeping on the roads).

Of course the culprit here was the drunk driver. But if the law is just, then the drunk driver could only be punished for the offense of drunk driving, and not for murder or manslaughter because the victims were also breaking a law.
You seem to have missed the point of the previous post by SupremeBaleno. The punishment for sleeping on the pavement is not to get run over by somebody. That is like giving a death sentence for a petty offence.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2006, 21:47   #45
BHPian

The incident is unfortunate. In Bangalore, footpaths are not meant to sleep, or walk, They are meant to be ridden by two wheelers when 4 wheelers occupy the road :-)

Anyway, people should learn to drive on roads and not footpaths. Footpaths are not meant to sleep. But they cannot be blamed. They dont have a house to stay in. So they find the footpath the best. Drive the vehicle on our roads, let the footpaths be reserved for human being whther they sleep, stand and sit is their problem.

Humans ... the road is for crazy drivers and also the sensible ones ... let them do what they have to do there. dont interfere with them.

Let these be our principles, divide the area and rule our areas. The idot who caused the crash should be arrested and punished for driving in a non-driveable zone or kind of no-entry and also for murder. Because a person who can kill others on footpaths is very much capable of doing that on road too.
vincentt is offline   Reply With Quote