Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Closed Thread

Old 1st May 2016, 02:52   #241
BHPian

Default Re: Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection

I read somewhere that non FASTag vehicles entering FASTag lane will be charged double toll as fine. Most of the tolls on Hyd-Bang highway have readers on all the lanes but the FASTag board on only 1 lane. I read that there will be an exclusive lane for RFID cars initially and then later it will be two lanes. remaining lanes will be both.

Travelled Hyd-Bangalore on 28th April. Still no sign, the clerks on the toll plazas are clue less whhen it will start. ICICI website has been showing all the tolls as ETC enabled for long. I am still waiting for a chance to use the ETC.

On the kolar road, the ETC lane is always chocked with non ETC vehicles.
Old 1st May 2016, 16:51   #242

Mod note: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.

Firstly, I am very happy to report that FastTag is working much better than what I expected because of the general attitude of Toll operators which is quite bad. I will report my experience here so that the service can be improved. We passed through 6 toll gates on our way from Chennai to Salem.

1st toll gate at Essel Walajahapet Poonamalle Sriperumbudur Toll Plaza*, here the dedicated FastTag Lane was filled with non FastTag vehicles which resulted in us having to wait for close to 5 minutes to cross the toll gate. The FastTag system picked up our tag easily.

2nd toll gate at Chennasamuduram Toll Plaza. Same story here, the FastTag Lane was filled with non FastTag vehicles which resulted in some delay after which the system picked up our Tag.

3rd toll gate at Pallikonda Toll Plaza, the dedicated FastTag Lane was barricaded, once we honked for the watchman's attention, the barricades were removed and we went through the FastTag lane which promptly worked and we were on our way.

4th toll gate at Vaniyambadi Toll Plaza, here the watchman was standing at the entrance of the toll and as soon as he saw that we had a FastTag, the barricades were removed and we went through the toll gate with no problems. This toll gate was the best experience we had.

5th toll gate Krishnagiri said FastTag is not working we need to pay the toll in cash. It was quite dissappointing. Hope this gets fixed as soon as possible.

6th toll gate at Omlur was weird, we went through the dedicated FastTag Lane but on approaching the sensor the message displayed was invalid tag, we went back and forth twice but still the same message was deployed. The instrumentation there needs to be checked I guess. We finally paid by cash.

I hope this system is improved so that the adoption rate increases and it is also marketed better so that more people start using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Thanks!!! So FasTag installation in my vehicle moved to next quarter (Q2-FY16) .
I request you to start using it as soon as you can because only if enough users use it and start pestering the toll operators to maintain the systems will there be any chance of this scheme succeeding. If this scheme fails, it will take years for another scheme to come up and replace it and we will be stuck paying cash till then.

PS: The 10% Cashback means you can easily recoup your investment in this.

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st May 2016 at 17:02. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.
shyampsunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2016, 21:19   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyampsunder View Post
6th toll gate at Omlur was weird, we went through the dedicated FastTag Lane but on approaching the sensor the message displayed was invalid tag, we went back and forth twice but still the same message was deployed. The instrumentation there needs to be checked I guess. We finally paid by cash.
I think there is some issue at Salem. No one reported it saying it is working though they claim it is in place.
Old 1st May 2016, 23:37   #244
BHPian

The Mumbai Pune expressway is going to be challenging. Last week on Friday I was at the toll around 830am and the line was 1km. No point of having the RFID in the car. I truly hope they can do something about the mess. It's a regular feature and it's sad nothing is being done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
More problems with FASTtag . I travelled on the Mumbai-Pune expressway and the toll is 195/-, but I get 117/- deducted twice instead. Probably FAStag counted this as 2 separate trips from Mum-Lonavla ( 117 ) and Lonavla-Pune(117), and I end paying 234/-. I've raised another dispute on the ICICI fastag website.
Were you able to use the facility in the Vashi (or any other Mumbai exit) toll?

The situation you mention is going to be challenging for tolls till this and also return / daily passes such as sea link which should be 90 bucks for return pass.

I for one am planning to stay away until initial gremlins are sorted
Old 2nd May 2016, 04:25   #245
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Last night and today, my XUV 500's FASTag worked flawlessly in all the toll plazas between Bangalore and Chennai, except at Krishnagiri, where, the toll collector talked to somebody in intercom, and then, told me 'Pongo, Sir' ['Please go, Sir']. I saw the message 'Exempted Vehicle' on the display panel.

Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection-blorechennaitoll.jpg
J.Ravi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 06:52   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post

Were you able to use the facility in the Vashi (or any other Mumbai exit) toll?

I for one am planning to stay away until initial gremlins are sorted
I took the Thane-Eastern Expressway-Mulund/Airoli-Pune expressway route and there were 3 toll gates on the route . I wasn't very sure if my FASTag would work on these. I asked a security guard on one of the toll plazas and he wasn't clear as well, so I ended paying cash.

I would recommend using fastag despite these problems. When people start using it and report problems, they will be sorted out. I opened 2 tickets on the ICICI website and got calls from them saying that the amounts ( 75 + 39 ) would be credited to me.
sdp1975 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 08:54   #247
BHPian

I have been thinking about getting FASTag but was not completely convinced.
Had been to Mulbagal (from Bangalore) yesterday. Had to cross 2 tolls on the way - in both places dedicated FASTag lanes were choked with non-FASTag commercial vehicles (Tata ACE types).
Guess I'm not going to get FASTag in a hurry
Old 2nd May 2016, 10:35   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Did a Bangalore-Coimbatore-Bangalore trip on Thursday and Friday, here is the experience with FasTag:
NPV,

Just curios, was your return journey within 24 hours of your onward journey? Do you know if the toll charged (by FASTtag) for return journey within 24 hours is less than the regular Toll?
Old 2nd May 2016, 11:22   #249
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post

Third and most Important: Fastag like schemes will record exactly how much operator is collecting as user fee. This can not be obfuscated with duplicate physical records. As there will be a record at more than one place, which is out of control of operator.
In Turkey, all tolls are paid by a prepaid wireless unit. No leakage, on time data all the time
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 13:57   #250
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Isn't the Karumathampatti toll operational yet? I do not see it in this list, hence asking. Or did you deviate before?
I have all the toll receipts with me, do not see one for Karumathampatti. Also, I do not remember passing through any place where work on toll plaza was in progress, and the only deviation I took was at Sankari bypass on my return journey which bypassed Salem.

*Looked up on google and found that the Chengapalli-Karumathampatti toll is Rs.85 which I have mentioned. Lot of people have requested for this toll amount to be reduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naut View Post
Just curios, was your return journey within 24 hours of your onward journey? Do you know if the toll charged (by FASTtag) for return journey within 24 hours is less than the regular Toll?
I think at the tolls where I'd paid <= 24 hours, FasTag did not work!
However, as far as I know, there is no such provision with FasTag for multiple entry/day pass as with cash payments. Instead, there is a 10% discount but I'm not sure if this is effective yet.

Last edited by NPV : 2nd May 2016 at 13:59.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 14:57   #251
BHPian

I hope the government ensures that this is the only RFID based toll collection system. I can already see others coming up. Mumbai entry points have their own RFID based system which I presume is independent of FASTag. MEP's system has other provisions too like monthly pass. Why should people affix multiple RFIDs on their cars?
Old 2nd May 2016, 15:01   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
I hope the government ensures that this is the only RFID based toll collection system. I can already see others coming up. Mumbai entry points have their own RFID based system which I presume is independent of FASTag. MEP's system has other provisions too like monthly pass. Why should people affix multiple RFIDs on their cars?
I don't think people will have to affix multiple RFIDs , most likely there will be multiple scanners at the toll gates so that different types of RFIDs are handled at the gates.

Far from the ideal solution to have a single uniform RFID across the country though.
Old 2nd May 2016, 15:27   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I don't think people will have to affix multiple RFIDs , most likely there will be multiple scanners at the toll gates so that different types of RFIDs are handled at the gates.

Far from the ideal solution to have a single uniform RFID across the country though.
There is some confusion on whether the tags issues by Mumbai Entry Point ltd (MEP) are same as FASTag or not. At the toll plazas, I do not see any reference to the word FASTag. Its just called "ETC Tag lane". The tags issued by MEP also have text "MEP" on them. No reference to FASTag. However some news reports suggest that they are same as FASTag. Link: http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle7285887.ece

However this report suggests that Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC) & MEP have another RFID system independent of FASTag. I am confused.

Can users of MEP tag clarify? 2 questions:

1. Can FASTag RIFD holders use their RFIDs at Mumbai entry points?
2. Can MEP RFID holders use their RFID tag at other FASTag toll plazas?
Old 2nd May 2016, 16:29   #254
Senior - BHPian

In the case of Bangalore Elevated Highway, they had a separate device for auto collection of tolls. But this was now smoothly migrated to the FasTag system. So I guess sooner or later Maharashtra also would have to move over to FasTag.
Old 2nd May 2016, 17:38   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
suggests that Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC) & MEP have another RFID system independent of FASTag.
My knowledge of roads in Mumbai are limited, however I guess you are mentioning about Sea link which I guess is a MH State government project. I don't think there will be any linking of payment gateways of state and NHAI toll booths anytime soon hence you will have to continue with two different RFID tags.

In case of Bangalore Elevated toll road, the project was handled by NHAI, so even-though they were having another payment system they migrated to Fastag.
Closed Thread