Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Closed Thread

Old 13th June 2016, 19:09   #331

Default Re: Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection

I have taken multiple trips from Bangalore to Coimbatore after installing FASTag on my car. Except Thoppur toll (Dharmapuri), all other toll plazas have working FASTag arrangements either separate lane with auto scan equipment and/or handheld device to scan the tag manually.

Quick summary of all toll plazas along Bangalore to Coimbatore route below.

Electronic City Toll (Hosur Road):
  • FASTag works flawless all the time.
  • Separate lane for ETC vehicles. Only ETC vehicles are allowed.

Attibelle Toll:
  • FASTag works flawless all the time.

Krishnagiri Toll:
  • Separate lane for ETC vehicles. But, they allow all vehicles in that lane.
  • No auto-scan equipments installed yet. Only handheld device.
  • Have to inform the toll attendant about FASTag. He/She will come out and scan the tag manually every time.

Thoppur Toll:
  • Separate lane for ETC vehicles. But, lane is closed for all vehicles except buses and other vehicles with monthly passes.
  • No FASTag auto scan equipments installed yet.
  • This toll is not yet added to the active FASTag accepted tolls in NHAI website.
  • We have to pay in cash every time.

Omalur Toll:
  • Separate lane for ETC vehicles.
  • FASTag works only at times. Shows "Invalid Tag" most of the times. They use Handheld device to scan if auto-scan doesn't work. This toll is bit hit-and-miss.

Vaigundam/Kumarapalayam Toll:
  • Works flawless all the time.
  • Recently, auto scan equipments got damaged due to rain and winds. So, they used handheld device to scan the tag last time.

Vijayamangalam Toll:
  • Separate lane for ETC vehicles. But, Lane is completely closed. No auto-scan equipments installed yet.
  • Earlier, they used to say FASTag is not active. After raising complaints, they started using Handheld device.
  • We have to inform the toll attendant everytime. Be prepared to wait for few minutes everytime. They will take their own time to come and scan the tag with the handheld device as the device will be at some other counter.

Kaniyur/Coimbatore Toll:
  • Separate lane for ETC vehicles. Lane is normally closed for all vehicles. Have to argue with security guard every time to let me in the ETC lane.
  • Auto scan equipments are installed. But, it never worked. They use handheld device most of the times.
samy1117 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 22:41   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnrock View Post
Please explain the procedure to get FASTAG without going to ICICI branch.
I had ignored this earlier since the process required one to travel to ICICI/NHAI. I tried sending SMS to the number given on ICICI website, I received a call next day. A person visited and picked up the required documents and in the next 3 days they delivered the sensors. Happy in the way they managed this overall.

Procedure :-
SMS - ITOLL(Space)Pincode(Space)Name to 5676766. Example ITOLL 400051 Roshan Kumar

Documents required :-
1. ID Proof & Address Proof
2. RC Book Copy
3. One Passport Size photo
4. One cheque of Rs.500
vijaymishra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 10:41   #333
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samy1117 View Post
Quick summary of all toll plazas along Bangalore to Coimbatore route below.
Very well summarized, thanks!
My last trip on this route was on Sunday 12 June, and I found that the dedicated FasTag lane was closed at Krishnagiri, Thoppur, Omalur and Sankari/Vaigundam toll plazas (no attendant at the booth too), maybe this was a one-off case or a Sunday arrangement due to the traffic pattern ?
Old 14th June 2016, 10:52   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

My last trip on this route was on Sunday 12 June, and I found that the dedicated FasTag lane was closed at Krishnagiri, Thoppur, Omalur and Sankari/Vaigundam toll plazas (no attendant at the booth too), maybe this was a one-off case or a Sunday arrangement due to the traffic pattern ?

I too make frequent trips between Cbe - Blr and each time it will be a different set of acceptance/non-acceptance toll gates. Most frustrating is mixing up of vehicles in the toll booth lane or after waiting for 5 minutes in FastTag lane for the barrier to be moved manually, no one showing up, going to next lane and finding FastTag does work....Predictability is a huge problem. The system is still not mature and it may take a year or even more is my guess.

Cheers
Old 14th June 2016, 11:16   #335
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Tip for the folks using FasTag to exit/enter Bangalore on NH7 Hosur route:
-While exiting Bangalore at Attibele, stay on left most lane with FasTag signboard (mostly used by buses but I think they use another ETC toll payment that also works on this work), this will be quick usually compared to all other cash lanes
-While entering Bangalore at Attibele, stay on second lane from left which has the FasTag signage, again this will be very quick compared to other cash lanes
-While entering BETL from Electronics City side - You can take the left-most 2 lanes with FasTag signage
Old 16th June 2016, 18:17   #336

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
So far, I have takend 4 round trips from Bangalore to Coimbatore with FASTag installed.

In Thoppur Toll, they allow only buses and other vehicles with monthly passes. Equipments are not installed yet. The attendants are very rude in this toll if we talk about FASTag. Also, this toll is not yet added in ETC active tolls list of NHAI as mentioned earlier.

In Krishnagiri Toll, FASTag lane usually open for all the vehicles. Maybe, they were doing some installations on that day. They use Handheld device all the time.

In Omalur Toll, FASTag lane is always open and only ETC Vehicle can pass thru. But, at times, I have noticed that they let non-ETC vehicles in that lane. Tag will be scanned automatically as we wait /move behind the vehicles in front of us and we need to inform the attendant about the Tag at the counter. He verifies in the system and let us pass.

In Vaiguntham toll, the lane is partially closed with the barrier. Cars can pass thru that narrow opening. But, we should be careful. Recently, I have noticed that one security sits at the Tag lane entrance. This toll has one of the best FASTag scan system on par with Electronic City and Attibelle tolls.

Overall, We can say that the FASTag system is not perfect yet. But, the system is improving gradually as more vehicles with FASTag started plying on the roads.
samy1117 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 16:56   #337
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fastag update on the Bangalore - Nagercoil/Kanyakumari/Trivandrum stretch

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
As per the Fastag active toll plaza list, Fastag is supposed to be active at these tolls, but actually they are not active. So, don't depend on the information published in this link to buy Fastag RFID.

http://www.icicibank.com/Personal-Ba...ag/index.page?

Also, when I checked at these toll plazas they said it might take 15-60 days to activate Fastag.

Attachment 1507900
Response from NHAI:

Here is the response from NHAI regarding my concern raised against the Kappalur, Salaipudhur, Nanguneri toll plazas which were listed in the NHAI/ICICI list of "Fastag operational toll plazas" but they were not active / operational when I passed these tolls last month.

I was surprised that they send a official response for the concern raised. It required multiple follow-ups though.

Name:  Snap1.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  76.7 KB

So, it looks like user feedback's are considered and passed on to the relevant authority to take action.
arun_josie is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 19:11   #338
BHPian

Default Re: Fastag update on the Bangalore - Nagercoil/Kanyakumari/Trivandrum stretch

Quote:
Response from NHAI:

Here is the response from NHAI regarding my concern raised against the Kappalur, Salaipudhur, Nanguneri toll plazas which were listed in the NHAI/ICICI list of "Fastag operational toll plazas" but they were not active / operational when I passed these tolls last month.

I was surprised that they send a official response for the concern raised. It required multiple follow-ups though.

Attachment 1518892

So, it looks like user feedback's are considered and passed on to the relevant authority to take action.
Great. Can you share the email address to which you wrote the complaint?
I wrote sometime back regarding Krishnagiri toll and their atrocity, but didn't get any response.

-Ravi
Old 18th June 2016, 23:12   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Great. Can you share the email address to which you wrote the complaint?
I wrote sometime back regarding Krishnagiri toll and their atrocity, but didn't get any response.

-Ravi

Its the same address which are mentioned in my earlier post.

Quote:
Thanks for the pointer. I sent an email (robangalore@nhai.org, ronhaibangalore@gmail.com) regarding the Krishnagiri toll issue allowing all cars in Fastag lane and regarding the incorrect information about the active toll plazas in NHAI/ICICI Fastag website.

But since these tolls comes under Chennai circle, I was asked to email rochennai@nhai.org, nhaichennairo@gmail.com, kri@nhai.org. No response so far.

Meanwhile others who face issues at Krishnagiri toll or other tolls in Tamil Nadu which are still allowing all vehicles in the Fastag lane, please drop an email at rochennai@nhai.org, nhaichennairo@gmail.com, kri@nhai.org.

Lets report these incidents regularly and bring attention to this. There will be strength in numbers.

However, the official response was from NHAI, PIU-Madurai <nhai_madurai_piu@yahoo.co.in>
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 02:47   #340
Awaiting Email Confirmation

During my Chennai>Bangalore drive on 19/20 June 2016, except the Krishnagiri toll plaza, FASTag worked flawlessly at all the other toll plazas, saving many precious minutes. At the Krishnagiri toll plaza, I was allowed to enter the exclusive FASTag lane. Somebody came out with a hand-held scanner and scanned the windshield tag. So far, no toll has been deducted. I didn't get sms too.

Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection-fastag20062016.jpg

During my last Bangalore-Chennai drive also, P Cheetah had a free passage through the Krishnagiri toll plaza.

Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection-blorechennaitoll.jpg
J.Ravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 08:18   #341
Senior - BHPian

POS office is located at Vaikuntham/ komarapalayam toll.. I got the application forms. Tag will be issued immediately. ICICI representative is available there.
Old 20th June 2016, 11:57   #342
Team-BHP Support

As a next level follow-up of this program and especially for its mass deployment, I think authorities need to team-up with the manufacturers and make it an option to be made available as a default, when one purchases a new vehicle. And in a later stage make this mandatory if possible. So that way the price of the tag gets consumed within the price of the vehicle.

So when a person purchases a new car, he can link his own id to the vehicle ID for payment related purposes. In other words each person has an ID (against which he can load cash) and the vehicle has an ID which it gets linked. I think through this approach automated toll collection can be deployed at a faster pace.

Last edited by ampere : 20th June 2016 at 11:58.
Old 20th June 2016, 13:26   #343
BHPian

Thumbs down Re: Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
As a next level follow-up of this program and especially for its mass deployment, I think authorities need to team-up with the manufacturers and make it an option to be made available as a default, when one purchases a new vehicle. And in a later stage make this mandatory if possible. So that way the price of the tag gets consumed within the price of the vehicle.

So when a person purchases a new car, he can link his own id to the vehicle ID for payment related purposes. In other words each person has an ID (against which he can load cash) and the vehicle has an ID which it gets linked. I think through this approach automated toll collection can be deployed at a faster pace.
All new vehicles after 2014 jan are coming with factory fitted RFID tags , vide some Govt Mandates. They force these OEM car makers ti implement these RFID etc rules on war footing , but then they themselves fail to implement it. As a new car buyer,thus I am already paying for a RFID tag ( which is unfortunately not used by anybody , just remains pasted on top left corner of windscreen) .

Then for using Fastag, I have to pay for another tag , which also is a cumbersome process ....that is our sad state of governance.

Then it does not work even after 3 years of Fastag implementation. All talks on papers by GOI bodies, nothing really works on ground even to or 10% expectation.
Amazing is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 13:30   #344
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
Then it does not work even after 3 years of Fastag implementation. All talks on papers by GOI bodies, nothing really works on ground even to or 10% expectation.
Surely a bad scene. The plan to make Fast-Tag mandatory should have been after they enable automatic toll collection across the critical mass of highways. Looks like not the case. I really hope it improves.

I was hoping to make a case where they can decouple the user account from the vehicle. That part should be configurable as per user requirement and not hard coded. Not sure if its implemented that way.

Last edited by ampere : 20th June 2016 at 13:32.
Old 20th June 2016, 13:54   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
...make it an option to be made available as a default, when one purchases a new vehicle. And in a later stage make this mandatory if possible. So that way the price of the tag gets consumed within the price of the vehicle.
I find an RFID tag placed on the windshield of all new cars these days. Probably it's a step in the same direction as you said.
Closed Thread