Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Closed Thread

Old 30th July 2016, 20:56   #451
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection

A quick pass through the crowded attibele toll. This is what gives you happiness when you are fastag'd Also, we should appreciate these security guys in this toll gate who always make sure that only fastag vehicles are allowed in this lane.

arun_josie is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 22:02   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
A quick pass through the crowded attibele toll. This is what gives you happiness when you are fastag'd
Absolutely! That is happiness!

Going on the Bangalore Mangalore road tomorrow. Hoping the tolls work on this stretch as well. Will update once I'm back!
Old 30th July 2016, 22:37   #453
BHPian

[quote=arun_josie;4025366]A quick pass through the crowded attibele toll. This is what gives you happiness when you are fastag'd Also, we should appreciate these security guys in this toll gate who always make sure that only fastag vehicles are allowed in this lane.

I love this. The video speaks it for all. This is what i am telling in this thread for past 1 year and the advantage we get in FASTag'd cars and encouraging people to get one.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 12:38   #454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
This is what gives you happiness when you are fastag'd

Great. Only hope they would have followed same order for all Fastag. Say, the right most toll booth lane for Fastag everywhere. This will help in avoiding confusion if someone is on a new route and find the lanes crowded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswaroop View Post
Going on the Bangalore Mangalore road tomorrow. Hoping the tolls work on this stretch as well.
You can check the same here.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 13:26   #455
Distinguished - BHPian

After many days of keeping my FASTag in the glovebox, I finally pasted it on the windshield.
After that, I've been on BETL 3 times and all three times My FASTag has been deducted.
Since I also have the BETL RFID, I do not know if my BETL tag has also been charged or not (Ideally it shouldn't be.
Since the FASTag has 600 rupees balance amount, I can only come to know if I'm charged double or not after it is exhausted.
Is there anyway to check Balance of the BETL tag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
I could do that because the tag was handed over to me. I am not sure about others (Do they insist sticking then and there?). And I was advised by the bank executive to stick it at passenger side. The Fastag website recommends near the IRVM. The Toll booth operator recommends on the right side.
The tag was delivered to my home when I was at office and my car was with me. He didn't insist on pasting it himself.
IRVM is insisted because being in the centre of the vehicle has the best chance of being scanned. But anywhere on the windshield should be okay.
The booth operator will recommend on the right because in 99% of the cases he'll be on the right side of the vehicle and a manual scan is easier without requiring him to get out of his seat.

Quote:
I have already 'disabled' the Mahindra RFID tag, by cutting a few tracks using knife from behind.
Why would you do that?
The Factory tag is for easy identification of the vehicle and in case of any warranty claim it is easier for him to identify the vehicle if needed.
Moreover the scanner can tell two RFIDs apart from each other and there is almost nil possibility of not scanning a wrong tag.
I would not recommend tampering the factory tag.
Old 1st August 2016, 13:43   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
After many days of keeping my FASTag in the glovebox, I finally pasted it on the windshield.
After that, I've been on BETL 3 times and all three times My FASTag has been deducted.
Since I also have the BETL RFID, I do not know if my BETL tag has also been charged or not (Ideally it shouldn't be.
Since the FASTag has 600 rupees balance amount, I can only come to know if I'm charged double or not after it is exhausted.
Is there anyway to check Balance of the BETL tag?
For me it deducted in both the accounts. Regarding balance of BETL tag, usually it will shown in the display associated with the boom barrier. For BETL tag, it will show the balance before deduction of the current trip and for FASTag, it will just show "Thank you proceed".

You can also check BETL balance through their recharge link. Enter BETL tag ID, your vehicle number and proceed, in the next page it will show current balance. Of-course you dont have to recharge
smnrock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 14:52   #457
BHPian

Quote:
The Factory tag is for easy identification of the vehicle and in case of any warranty claim it is easier for him to identify the vehicle if needed.
Moreover the scanner can tell two RFIDs apart from each other and there is almost nil possibility of not scanning a wrong tag.
Yes, I would not have done it if I had a choice. That's why I gave a suggestion to stick it temporarily and check how it works. I am not sure whether it was a system issue, but the scanner kept reading "Invalid tag" at the particular plaza after repeated tries. Also most manual scans at other plazas were done after multiple tries, implying that both the RFIDs were being read. From the size and looks of the tags, both seem to operate on the same frequency band.

I doubt the tag will be used by the service center, considering the volume (or lack of) of scanning required and the cost of scanner. A VIN will be more than sufficient in the case. The current RFID tags on the cars are more useful on production lines and the transport logistics. This is better than the barcodes that require close proximity of scanner.
Old 1st August 2016, 15:05   #458
BHPian

I travelled last week from Bangalore to Visakhapatnam via Tirupati, except two tolls (one at Mulbagal bypass exit toll& one in godavari district) all others are enabled with Fast tags.
Some places there is no separate lanes however when asked for fastag they came down with Manual reader and scanned.
Most of separate lanes are closed with a dedicated security person monitoring it and gave way after seeing Fastag.
Next week planning to return through Hyderabad. Hope all tolls in this route are also enabled by now.
PMK-MoJo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 16:22   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Factory tags were installed based on goverment guidelines and not for any vehicle manufacuters process.

Link (Radio Frequency IDs for Medium / Heavy Vehicles)

Now that NHAI has seperate RFID guidelines, I guess government should abolish the guideline which requires manufactures to fix RFID on all new vehicles.

Quote:
Yes, that is true. More so since the reader at toll booths are kept at both the sides of the lane as per what I saw.

Yes, for handheld scanner there could be advange on sticking RFID towards right since toll booth operators are seated towards that side.
Old 1st August 2016, 16:25   #460
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnrock View Post
For me it deducted in both the accounts.

You can also check BETL balance through their recharge link. Enter BETL tag ID, your vehicle number and proceed, in the next page it will show current balance. Of-course you dont have to recharge
Thanks for the Balance link. I checked it and unfortunately I too have been charged from both tag accounts. :(
Quote:
Regarding balance of BETL tag, usually it will shown in the display associated with the boom barrier. For BETL tag, it will show the balance before deduction of the current trip and for FASTag, it will just show "Thank you proceed".
I know this, however, during the last 3 visits, the number was not displayed because the LED display board is not working properly I guess (Hosur road up-ramp)

Regarding this double charge...I called up BETL and what followed was a irritating and shocking conversation between that BETL guy and me.

I asked him why they have deducted from Both tags.
He told that they accept both tags for people's convenience and it was my mistake that I have put both tags (Shock 1)

He told I had to exhaust BETL balance before taking the FASTag
I told I use the BETL road daily and it would take me a lot of time to exhaust the balance in BETL tag
He told that if I use rarely, I shouldn't have purchased BETL tag at all (Shock 2)

I told that I've been using the BETL tag since 4 years (from OBU days) and the FASTag was purchased after I had recharged the BETL tag.
He told that I should have told BETL before purchasing FASTag (Shock 3)

I told him that I have put Fastag for other highways and not just for BETL road.
He told that I should then ask for refund from ICICI (Shock 4)

I told him that I can't ask ICICI for a refund because of the problem with BETL.
He told that they don't have any problem and they can't write a scanner software for cases like me.
I realised that it was pointless to talk to morons like them and it was indeed my mistake to have expected anything from them
Probably I shouldn't have pasted both the tags together in the first place.

I told him that I'll put my BETL tag on another car. He told that it's ok and they don't have any problem
Finally I got one answer in my favour and I disconnected the call.
So I've paid 270 rupees for 135 rupees worth journey.
Anyway I'll have to forget it and sell my BETL tag to a colleague who uses the BETL daily.

However, with absolutely no hope of a reply, I have anyway written on the feedback section of the BETL website demanding a refund.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 1st August 2016 at 16:28.
Old 1st August 2016, 18:04   #461
BHPian

Quote:
He told I had to exhaust BETL balance before taking the FASTag
I was told the same by ICICI when i asked about this issue. Then i didn't bother much, since had only Rs.10 in BETL after that double deduction incident.
Quote:
I told him that I'll put my BETL tag on another car. He told that it's ok and they don't have any problem.
As per BETL website, tag is not transferable. But again, no one verifies against registration number
Old 2nd August 2016, 01:40   #462
BHPian

An update on the Toll booths till Hassan from my drive on Sunday.

Onward Journey:

Nelamangala BETL - Fastag lane closed, went on the last lane, let through on saying I had fastag.

1st Toll on NH75 (Nelamangala toll) - lane closed, but the last lane had hand held scanner, successful.

2nd Toll - Bellur Toll Plaza - Lane open and correctly deducted.

3rd Toll - Kadabhalli - Lane closed, entered last lane - informed attendant that it was Fasttag, the read happened and Rs. 40 deducted.

4th Toll - Shantigrama - Lane closed, but the last lane it worked correctly as above.

Return Journey:

Shantigrama worked correctly.

Kadabhalli plaza, They said an issue with the reader, had to pay cash. Rs. 40.

Bellur Cross, worked properly

Nelamangala (NH75) - the lane was blocked/closed, the hand reader was elsewhere, after 2-3 minutes of waiting and incessant honking from behind, even though I was ready to pay cash, I was let through.

BETL Nelamangala - Some 6-7 cars entered just before me into the Fastag lane, don't know if any of them were Fastag or not. None of the other lanes had more than 3 vehicles, entered the last lane, paid cash(20) and exited.

Overall a nice experience. Also, the discounts for return journey has not happened in the case of Bellur and Shantigrama tolls for return fares. Does it happen in a couple of days or should I complain?

Last edited by sswaroop : 2nd August 2016 at 01:42.
sswaroop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 08:58   #463
BHPian

Earlier we had monthly passes at the Dahisar Toll Naka, Mumbai costing 1165 for a car. Now they've made ETC tags compulsory, and they have made the monthly pass integrated to it. Guess they will do away with those cards/ passes that we kept on our dashboard near the windshield Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection-imageuploadedbyteambhp1470108473.235704.jpg
Old 2nd August 2016, 09:38   #464
BHPian

I saw that this question was asked before, but no reply was available.
Has anyone availed a Fastag for a car which is under company lease, through some organization like Orix / Leaseplan?

I have a letter from my company saying that I am allowed to use this car for my professional / personal purposes. Can I still go ahead with a personal Fastag?
Old 2nd August 2016, 11:15   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
I saw that this question was asked before, but no reply was available.
Has anyone availed a Fastag for a car which is under company lease, through some organization like Orix / Leaseplan?

I have a letter from my company saying that I am allowed to use this car for my professional / personal purposes. Can I still go ahead with a personal Fastag?
No personal experience, but from the Fastag FAQ available here

Pasting relevant information below:
--------------------------
Corporate Public Ltd./ Private Ltd./ Partnership
1. Certificate of Incorporation/ Partnership Deed/Registration certificate of the firm 2. PAN Card of the corporate
3. Photo ID of signing authority
4. List of Directors with addresses/Name and addresses of Partners

Our representative will provide you an application form, which you need fill and submit.
All required documents for FASTag should be in the name of the owner of the vehicle. If car owner is not present at the time of application, driver will need to submit his photo ID proof.
A valid driving license would be sufficient for Address & ID proof.
-------------------------

You can also call up the customer care and check with them.
Closed Thread