Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2015, 12:33   #61
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,250 Times
Default Re: Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection

Someone in ICICI needs a dose of common sense. All POS are around the NH only, sure that makes sense but what about city dwellers who want to buy the tag.

Do the boffins at ICICI expect one to make a trip to these remote locations first to pick up the tag and then start the actual trip.

I reside 30 kms away from GGN and my highway trips generally start at day break. That means I need to make a 60 km run trip just to get the tag as surely the ICICI branch will not be open until after 9am and even then there is no guarantee that the person who locked up the tags in their drawers are available in the bank or have taken the day off on account of a headache in their tummy.

I would be better off sweating it in the toll lanes rather than spending the better half of a day in the tagging game.

POS are required where people can easily buy them both near the highways and within the cities. Infact why can't their ATM locations be equipped with tag vending machines, why do we have to go to a branch at all.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2015, 12:54   #62
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dombivli/Gurgao
Posts: 2,602
Thanked: 1,120 Times
Default Re: Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyampsunder View Post
I notified on the first toll coming from Salem on NH7 towards bangalore that non fastag vehicles entering fastag lanes will have to pay double the toll. Do you guys think that this is enough of a deterrent to vehicles? Don't you think that some vehicles will start using this as some kind of premium lane by paying the double toll and thus defeating the purpose of this concept?
Where people are generally reluctant to pay in the first place, I doubt if anyone will willingly pay twice the amount as fine (maybe also the toll separately). Also the tag holders will increase over a period of time to ensure these dedicated lanes will no longer be a quick getaway.
honeybee is online now  
Old 26th July 2015, 14:16   #63
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 18
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Where people are generally reluctant to pay in the first place, I doubt if anyone will willingly pay twice the amount as fine (maybe also the toll separately). Also the tag holders will increase over a period of time to ensure these dedicated lanes will no longer be a quick getaway.
The whole point of these ETC lanes are for people to get through tolls without stopping.
I desperately hope that people adopt ETC in big numbers else you will have toll owners allowing non ETC vehicles into ETC lanes because no one is using those lanes.
shyampsunder is offline  
Old 26th July 2015, 16:40   #64
BHPian
 
Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 276
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection

There was a FASTTag inauguration ceremony going on at Krishnagiri Toll Plaza ( Bengaluru- Chennai sector) today afternoon. Here is the poster displayed at the toll booth.

-- Wind
Attached Thumbnails
Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection-wp_20150726_12_31_46_pro.jpg  

Wind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 09:31   #65
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ............
Posts: 3,261
Thanked: 4,208 Times
Default Re: Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection

From The Times of India dated 27 July 2015, Chennai edition, pages 1 and 4:

Name:  eToll1.png
Views: 1049
Size:  96.9 KB

Name:  eToll2.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  128.2 KB

From The Hindu:

Name:  eToll3.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  179.7 KB

Last edited by J.Ravi : 27th July 2015 at 09:33.
J.Ravi is offline  
Old 27th July 2015, 09:53   #66
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,092
Thanked: 629 Times
Default Re: Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Also the tag holders will increase over a period of time to ensure these dedicated lanes will no longer be a quick getaway.
In that case perhaps they would also increase the number of FASTag equipped toll booths proportionately, and perhaps 10-15 years down the line all booths being FASTag ready .
sachinpk is offline  
Old 27th July 2015, 12:28   #67
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,385
Thanked: 1,983 Times
Default Re: Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyampsunder View Post
Do you guys think that this is enough of a deterrent to vehicles? Don't you think that some vehicles will start using this as some kind of premium lane by paying the double toll and thus defeating the purpose of this concept?
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Where people are generally reluctant to pay in the first place, I doubt if anyone will willingly pay twice the amount as fine (maybe also the toll separately). Also the tag holders will increase over a period of time to ensure these dedicated lanes will no longer be a quick getaway.
Fair point.

I think, these lanes will now have all the "Police", "MLA", "MP" vehicles who are looking for a free pass
Dry Ice is offline  
Old 27th July 2015, 14:25   #68
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Banglr, Coimbtr
Posts: 336
Thanked: 119 Times
Default

Given concepts like lane discipline are foreign, separate lanes for Fastag vehicles will be a non-starter. No fine, no entry bars will work. After buying Fastag we will be forced to tag along other vehicles. Secondly why banks should be asked to be the channel for selling these tags, why not Flipkart, Snap Deal......? What value addition by banks? Am I missing something?
Cheers
Waxeloquent is offline  
Old 27th July 2015, 14:28   #69
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,092
Thanked: 629 Times
Default Re: Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
Secondly why banks should be asked to be the channel for selling these tags, why not Flipkart, Snap Deal......? What value addition by banks? Am I missing something?
May be because money is involved, the device should get credited with the money. There would be lots of people who still don't buy stuff from FlipKart or SnapDeal (but may be visting banks) .
sachinpk is offline  
Old 27th July 2015, 15:14   #70
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Banglr, Coimbtr
Posts: 336
Thanked: 119 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
May be because money is involved, the device should get credited with the money. There would be lots of people who still don't buy stuff from FlipKart or SnapDeal (but may be visting banks) .

I'd then prefer PSUS petrol pumps to sell them. Banks are a hassle, limited working hours.... Cheers
Waxeloquent is offline  
Old 27th July 2015, 17:10   #71
BHPian
 
pannags's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 293
Thanked: 394 Times
Default Re: Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
There was a FASTTag inauguration ceremony going on at Krishnagiri Toll Plaza ( Bengaluru- Chennai sector) today afternoon. Here is the poster displayed at the toll booth.
-- Wind
Hopefully, the infamously long wait times at peak hours reduce by a considerable time. I wonder if the electronic city tool gates are also Fastag compliant?! It had better be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
Given concepts like lane discipline are foreign, separate lanes for Fastag vehicles will be a non-starter. No fine, no entry bars will work. After buying Fastag we will be forced to tag along other vehicles. Secondly why banks should be asked to be the channel for selling these tags, why not Flipkart, Snap Deal......? What value addition by banks? Am I missing something?
Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
May be because money is involved, the device should get credited with the money. There would be lots of people who still don't buy stuff from FlipKart or SnapDeal (but may be visting banks) .
Firstly, you need to submit necessary documentation to the bank for them to issue you an RFID tag.

and why?

Source: http://bankingfrontiers.com/

"As your vehicle crosses toll plazas, the information is passed to the prepaid account created at the central clearing house set up by the bank and the applicable toll amount is deducted and transferred to the concessionaire's account electronically."

Last edited by pannags : 27th July 2015 at 17:18. Reason: Typo
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 17:18   #72
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,018
Thanked: 520 Times
Default Re: Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection

I think this is going to help the commercial transport companies in a big way. They can centralize their toll receipts. In the current setup many drivers deviate from highways just to save on the toll which ultimately end up in their pockets.
poloman is offline  
Old 27th July 2015, 17:38   #73
BHPian
 
avira_tk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 647
Thanked: 614 Times
Default Re: Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Hopefully, the infamously long wait times at peak hours reduce by a considerable time. I wonder if the electronic city tool gates are also Fastag compliant?! It had better be
They aspire to be, the whole place was decked up for a Puja when I passed it yesterday, all the fast tag logos were covered with flowers and banana leaves. I doubt any efficiency improvements will come about though, the average users have zero manners on a normal basis the private car owners are usually worse than the cabbies, educashun levels notwithstanding.
avira_tk is offline  
Old 27th July 2015, 22:07   #74
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dombivli/Gurgao
Posts: 2,602
Thanked: 1,120 Times
Default Re: Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Fair point.

I think, these lanes will now have all the "Police", "MLA", "MP" vehicles who are looking for a free pass
Hmmm these lanes will most likely be automated, so you don't have to slow down to a crawl. Just slow down enough to allow the system to read your tag and raise the barrier. Also the barrier would always be down by default. If one wants to simply muscle his way through he will still have to use the manual toll lanes.
honeybee is online now  
Old 28th July 2015, 09:11   #75
BHPian
 
bharat4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 550
Thanked: 299 Times
Default Re: Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection

I registered for the Fastag on the ICICI website. And the message I get at the end is "Please continue your account process with nearest agent by submitting the selected documents.".

When I look at the list of POS, there's nothing in Bangalore. Does anyone know how to proceed with this, in Bangalore?
bharat4ever is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electronic Toll Collection in Mumbai wheelsNsqueals Street Experiences 20 3rd August 2017 14:56
Got a Problem? Log on to the "Government of India Online Grievance forum" cypher Shifting gears 1 20th March 2017 23:20
E Toll collection : Will it work in India? amit Street Experiences 24 17th September 2014 22:51
Government's formula to reduce accidents amit Shifting gears 15 10th January 2007 16:22
Double Toll collection on NH45. Any idea ? supremeBaleno Shifting gears 5 1st September 2006 04:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:01.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks