Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 8th October 2014, 14:23   #16
BHPian

Default re: Keep a Family Photo in your car! RTO's idea to reduce accidents

I was able to find a similar thread on Nagpur traffic police trying out Vaastu at accident prone areas to reduce number of accidents six years back. Can't help but wonder what the results were though I can quite imagine.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...s-safer-d.html (Now India will experiment with Vastu to make roads safer :D)

Thanks
Sunny
Autodoc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 14:23   #17
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Keep a Family Photo in your car! RTO's novel idea to reduce accidents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
What about the throng of idiots who have no idea what's happening behind their car because the entire rear-windscreen is covered with their 'family' names?
Yes and what about the other set of morons who fill the rear with cute cuddly soft toys ?
I wonder what such people think when doing such things ?
The RTO cares a hoot about such things but they propose "novel" ideas like keeping a family photo!
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 16:08   #18
BHPian

Default Re: Keep a Family Photo in your car! RTO's novel idea to reduce accidents

Would placing a photo of loved ones on the dash, magically teach traffic rules to a driver, which was the RTO's job in the first place? I wonder.

If only RTO juggled their priorities right!
black_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 16:10   #19
BHPian

Default Re: Keep a Family Photo in your car! RTO's novel idea to reduce accidents

What if one has a fight at home with his wife before leaving, and once in car he sees her picture and gets angrier and starts driving rash, who will be responsible then ?
INJAXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 17:30   #20
BHPian

One of the primary things that my dad told me when I learnt driving was "Never get angry when you sit in the drivers seat". I know it is a lot easier said than done with the country's current traffic situation, but remembering the line from time to time helps.

Last edited by GTO : 9th October 2014 at 16:42. Reason: Your first line had typos and made no sense :)
satan's_valet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 17:57   #21
BHPian

I'd much rather that the RTO mandate all its officers have a photo of some corrupt politician convicted and imprisoned for corruption. Hopefully that prevents them from collecting bribes.
pratika is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 18:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

Silly idea. I see enough people who drive like complete morons WITH THEIR FAMILY AND LITTLE ONES IN THE CAR! How will having just a picture of them help any more I'm not sure.

On a related note, we're also counting on chauffeurs caring enough for their bosses' family. ;-)
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 18:06   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
"Never get angry when you sit in the driver seat". I know it is lot easier said than done with the country's current traffic situation, but remembering the line from time to time helps.
, ours is a country where everybody is excellent Judge for others mistake and excellent lawyer for own , So "Never get angry when you sit in the driver seat" helps a lot, you should never fall in to an argument until you have some high-fi contacts, whose mistake it actually is really does not matter, the one with contact wins.
INJAXN is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 18:27   #24
BHPian

This thread woke me up from my boring, busy work day to reflect on how ridiculous things can get. Apologies in advance if you think I am not taking this seriously !

That being said, I am wondering about the genius'es in RTO office that proposed this. Also wondering about the 'bosses' who filtered this idea from the tons of others (assuming there was a drive to collect such brilliant Ideas and this is not someone's over enthusiasm).

If this works, we might as well take burning problems like Global Warming, World Hunger, Kashmir Issue etc. and ask for solutions from the genius at the Shimoga RTO who proposed this.

Silly me, but what if a guy is single & orphan, whose photo will he then keep. Will he need to prove this incase he is caught violating this rule ?

We live in a country where jugad has little morals. Example : The Tirupati temple had allowed Parents with young babies to bypass the long queue with direct temple entry. Guess what? a few folks there started renting out babies to devotees.

If the proposed becomes a rule, we will have people selling family photos to by-pass the law.

I have no hope from RTO when folks like this will be incharge of forming rules and policing us.
charanreddy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 18:55   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
We live in a country where jugad has little morals. Example : The Tirupati temple had allowed Parents with young babies to bypass the long queue with direct temple entry. Guess what? a few folks there started renting out babies to devotees.
Really? That's new - never heard of renting babies at the temple - seen quite a lot at the traffic signals though. A lot of guys here have chipped in with their thoughts - and all of them are completely valid.

My $0.02 - yes; RTO should work towards improving on a lot of aspects that are detailed here and elsewhere - that's their job. Period. But, hey, if there's one step additional that we can take to reduce accidents, why not go for it? Every little bit helps.

Do note, I am absolutely against making this as a mandate - but then again, if it's not mandated, it wont be effective?
void_001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 19:01   #26
BHPian

Saw a white Swift in Mysore (KA-09-Z-9473) who was driving with 3 kids in front seat and a few ladies in the rear. I suppose he was trying to give them a thrilling ride experience with a quick U turn at a closed Railway crossing. Lost control and knocked off his rear view mirror on another car waiting in a standstill.

With morons like these on the road, I dont think mandating a family photo inside the car can help in anyway at all.

Rather RTO should deal with lane jumping seriously. This is the primary cause for most accidents, jams and road rage.

Last edited by HillMan : 8th October 2014 at 19:03.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 19:04   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by void_001 View Post
Really? That's new - never heard of renting babies at the temple - seen quite a lot at the traffic signals though. A lot of guys here have chipped in with their thoughts - and all of them are completely valid.

My $0.02 - yes; RTO should work towards improving on a lot of aspects that are detailed here and elsewhere - that's their job. Period. But, hey, if there's one step additional that we can take to reduce accidents, why not go for it? Every little bit helps.

Do note, I am absolutely against making this as a mandate - but then again, if it's not mandated, it wont be effective?
Bizzare as it is, It is true. The Temple board started marking babies with ink like in an election so they are not gamed.
charanreddy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 19:24   #28
BHPian

Instead of a family photo, why not have speed-limit beeper (something similar to the seat-belt reminder) like the one that comes with the vehicles from Zoom Cars or the Meru Cabs, just as a reminder to the driver that he needs to watch out?
Car-go-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 20:13   #29
BHPian

This was done by APSRTC before. But this is the first time, I've learned that the RTO is insisting. There are lot of other theories too. Like young drivers meet with more accidents than 30+ etc., etc.,

Rash driving can be reduced by having Good roads, rather than experimenting funny things. Good roads will keep the delays to the minimum, which leads to less frustration and road rage. In Europe and North America, People hardly remember the distance, rather they tell you the time taken to reach the destination. Therefore, you're mentally prepared about the time taken to reach the destination. But it, India, there are various factors which will not allow you to keep up with the time.
jaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 21:39   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
RTO first needs to issue driving license after proper testing and educating rather than to all and sundry who come with a bribe. That itself would reduce accidents.
If only they did their duty diligently rather than suggesting "novel" ideas.
I would agree.

However this is time we need to start educating bicyclist and pedestrians too about following rules. During my first trip to the statea, i was warned by a trooper for not using the zebra crossing. One can actually be fined for not doing it there.

However here, people just cross the road wherever they want, whenever they want, and their kids tag along. Same goes with cyclist.

Hope the new RTO rules look at this serious safery concern, and ensure the following.
1. Sufficient Zebra crossings
2. Shaam-Daam-Dand-Ved for such offenders too.

Cheers
adityasiera is offline   Reply With Quote