Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 4th November 2014, 14:33   #1
BHPian

Thumbs up Uttar Pradesh: No helmet/seatbelt? No fuel!

A step in the right direction taken by the UP government. As per a suggestion from the UP transport department, motorists that do not wear helmets and seatbelts could be denied fuel. If implemented, it would knock some sense into the heads of erring drivers.

I just hope that this proposal sees the light of the day and it is extended across every nook and corner of this great nation.

Complete article here
http://www.deccanchronicle.com/14110...t-be-sold-fuel
racer_ash is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 14:40   #2
BANNED

Default re: Uttar Pradesh: No helmet/seatbelt? No fuel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
A step in the right direction taken by the UP government. As per a suggestion from the UP transport department, motorists that do not wear helmets and seatbelts could be denied fuel. If implemented, it would knock some sense into the heads of erring drivers.
Helmet rule is sensible, but seatbelt is senseless. International Safety norm is that one should NOT wear seatbelts when fuel is being filled up so you can escape quicker in case of fire.
gsurya is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 17:19   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Helmet rule is sensible, but seatbelt is senseless. International Safety norm is that one should NOT wear seatbelts when fuel is being filled up so you can escape quicker in case of fire.
Can be interpreted in a different way though - any vehicle coming into a fuel-pump should be checked for 1.bike-rider wearing helmet and 2.car-driver wearing the seat-belt. Its the rider/driver's prerogative to remove the helmet/seat-belt while filling up fuel.

I have heard that Infosys has this policy that when an employee is coming in a bike, he will be allowed to take his bike inside the campus only if he is wearing a helmet.
callvvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 17:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
I have heard that Infosys has this policy that when an employee is coming in a bike, he will be allowed to take his bike inside the campus only if he is wearing a helmet.
My employer Schlumberger has a strict zero tolerance policy for seat belts ( driver and co passenger) and helmets. On official visits too we are to rent only taxis that have a 3 point seat belt.
A good move by the U.P government.
rakesh_r is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 21:36   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
My employer Schlumberger has a strict zero tolerance policy for seat belts ( driver and co passenger) and helmets. On official visits too we are to rent only taxis that have a 3 point seat belt.
A good move by the U.P government.
Even my company follows the helmet and seat belt policy strictly. If one does not wear helmet/seat belt, he or she is not allowed to enter the company premises with their vehicles. They need to park them outside. And then, the Hyderabad Traffic police are always behind such vehicles. But the irony is, people still continue to pay fines but don't invest in buying a helmet.
JoseVijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 22:45   #6
BHPian

I personally am not a fan of these restrictions. I believe I'm unbiased because I always wear my seatbelt; always.

As long as people are aware of the risks AND as long as it doesn't adversely impact other folks on the road, they must be allowed to choose. They must have the choice of not wearing a seat belt.

The same logic applies to smoking, drinking etc. However I support the ban on drunken driving because it could impact other drivers or pedestrians.
Why force people to do something they don't like. By that logic, ban soft drinks, fatty chips, KFC, and even TV maybe.
dozer is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 23:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Our country has enough rules. It is just enforcement that we lack. . It is really funny that new new rules are brought in every week but no one mentions how one plans to enforce it.

I dont think the rule will ever take off successfully. People will abuse the fuel pump attendant and just tell him to fill in fuel and take the money and ***.

Even if at all implemented, people will just belt up / wear helmet before entering the fuel pump and de-belt as soon as fuel filling is over. Enforcement should be at road level and not at these private outlet levels

What next, no entry to a mall without wearing seat belts ??
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 09:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

I appreciate the intent on Govt's part. But.. you need to visit the hinterlands of UP to 'feel' how lawless the land can be. The basic law and order is in shambles. I wonder how this will be implemented.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 10:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I appreciate the intent on Govt's part. But.. you need to visit the hinterlands of UP to 'feel' how lawless the land can be. The basic law and order is in shambles. I wonder how this will be implemented.
You are being optimistic in anticipating issues in implementation.
I would think, for the regions described, even getting people to be aware of this would be nothing short of a miracle!
This for a region , where people drive/ride on the wrong side, just because it's the shortest route to the destination!
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 10:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

I don't get the logic behind this. Are they going to check for helmet's & seat belts when car's drive in to fill fuel? Anyone will stop by the side put on his helmet or belt up and drive up to fill up fuel then leave the fuel station and remove his helmet & belts and keep driving. What purpose does it serve?

There is already a rule all over India which says 'No PUC No Fuel.' I have never been asked for PUC ever since these rules came into effect.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 10:48   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Even my company follows the helmet and seat belt policy strictly. If one does not wear helmet/seat belt, he or she is not allowed to enter the company premises with their vehicles. They need to park them outside. And then, the Hyderabad Traffic police are always behind such vehicles. But the irony is, people still continue to pay fines but don't invest in buying a helmet.
You are right. Have seen this happening my office as well where helmet/seatbelts are mandatory.

The point is, for bikes, it is very difficult to drive with the helmet hanging by the rear view mirror stalk or on the handle bars. So people invariably wear them, whether they like it or not. So, if this rule is imposed, atleast 10-15% of people will wear helmets just for the heck of it and this will gradually become part of life. The others will soon start learning. May be that is the whole intent of the RTO.

Cars on the other hand have no such issues. Just pull that strap when you are entering the pump and simply unbuckle after you exit. For such people, I can only say. God help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Hehe may be that why they are planning to implement it here and if it were successful in these badlands, enforcement in other places would be a cakewalk for the govt.
racer_ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 10:49   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Premier Mills office in Race Course Rd, Coimbatore had the helmet rule way back in 1992. They also made it a smoking free zone. Used to be a funny sight seeing smokers hiding behind a tree, standing on the roadside to avoid being seen by the Chairman.

Race Course Road in CBE used to be my favorite place to spot imports in the early 90's.
vivriti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 11:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Of all the places ... UP???
I don't know whether to laugh or cry - but hello Mr UP transport department - you have any idea how many people drive on your roads without a valid driving license?
Or how many have "sourced" driving license without undergoing any tests?

That should be fixed first if you want safety on roads.
Seatbelts/Helmets/Airbags etc will come later.

The funny idiocy of this rule is that it can be extended further: perhaps someone can also start checking for other safety equipment. If your car doesn't have airbags - no fuel for you.
If your bike doesn't have ABS - go back, no petrol!
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 00:11   #14
BHPian

Default Re: Uttar Pradesh: No helmet/seatbelt? No fuel!

Now this rule is in West Bengal too. I rode to Shaktigar today from Kolkata. Near Shaktigar i went to an Indian Oil bunk to refuel my bike. After refueling, one guy standing out side the bunk in a Pulsar135 asked me if he can borrow my helmet for two minutes. When i asked why, he told as he was not wearing a helmet the bunk attendants refused to give him fuel. The bunk owner/manager saw him asking me for the helmet and he walked down to me and told me not to lend him the helmet. These guys must learn the basic safety norms first. According to him unless these guys get any first hand sufferings they wont abide by the law. I agreed to the bunk owner/manager and refused to lend him my helmet. So in a disappointed way he left the bunk. Later the bunk owner/manager told me this rule was amended some times back but despite of repeated warnings and requests these guys do not wear a helmet.

I was glad that in-spite of looking at the petrol bunks profit the owner/manger was more concerned about the safety of the bikers.

Last edited by Samba : 20th April 2015 at 00:15.
Samba is offline   Reply With Quote