Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 11th December 2014, 00:06   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Driving Licence confiscated for violating 'No Parking' zone

Fellow BHP-ians:
I dont understand where we are drifting.
Parking and No-Parking Zones are defined for purpose.
Parking in a No Parking Zone is an offense, exceptions may be life saving emergencies.

If we know if it is an offense and a cop slapping a fine is natural and has to be accepted. Yes, Govt is not perfect, we dont have infrastructure, etc etc. That doesnt give any reasoning to violate the rule.

For ones who bash on cops' attitude, pl try walking around in dusty, noisy, polluted streets filled with cars owned by people who find it is reasonable that any rule can be flouted provided one has an urgency (Heard it from a nice cop!).
I personally think courtesy is not needed for a repeated offender (no matter how small offense is), with simple reasoning that at least such lack of courtesy may stop offenses!
babu.sundaram is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 00:06   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Agree with your observations, however there are people who don't care to pay the hefty fine(or hefty bribe) and repeat the offense. The intention of fine is to ensure the violations are not repeated. While the violators pay the fine/bribe and police/state gets money, it is the other rule obeying road users who would be impacted because of these illegal parking. Traffic violation is mistake, if done unknowingly for lack of information or notification, certainly not for repeated offense even after paying the fine, sorry to disagree with you on this.
So let's have a points based system how there is in the UK. After a certain points your licence gets revoked for a certain time and for every 3 points you get, depending on the offence you have the fine and the fines are super high too. 100 pounds for breaking the signal, etc etc. Do the same here. Who can afford a 1000 or 2000 rupees fine every now and then ? Make heavy fines on the cops too for taking a bribe, suspend them, revoke their salaries etc etc, why should the system be strict only on us.

The traffic police want an easy way out of everything. Jab tak paisa aa raha hai, tel lene gayi janta is their logic.

Quote:
My point is why regular road users like many of us, who religiously follow the all road rules needs to suffer everyday, because someone is willing to pay the fines and repeat the offense. This needs to stop, in my personal opinion if drunk and drive can result in DL suspension, then all notified traffic violations needs to be handled with same yard stick.
Hey that's like saying stealing a loaf of bread should have the same penalty as a murdering or a raping someone. What will be difference between us and the Taliban then. Imagine, there has come a day when the freedom in this country can be compared to the rule under the Taliban.

Quote:
As of 2013, everyone have to pay LTT in Karnataka. They have removed the yearly tax.
You are right, I stand corrected here. But what happens if I leave Bangalore in 1 year after paying a life time road tax ? Since I have not re registered my car in Bangalore, I cannot claim the road tax back, now what ? Bucket loads of money lost for the road tax payer and this is not a small amount. Imagine if I shifted to Bangalore, I will have to pay 40 thousand rupees for a Swift Diesel which falls in the 6 to 7 year slab in the first month I land in Bangalore. Imagine, house deposit, rent and now road tax even without me getting my first salary in my hand. Is that welcoming ? Does it sound logical ? Sounds pretty much extortion to me, but I guess when I bring this up, I am going off topic, but I am just mentioning this to prove that BTP are bunch of thugs and chors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post
Fellow BHP-ians:
I dont understand where we are drifting.
Parking and No-Parking Zones are defined for purpose.
Parking in a No Parking Zone is an offense, exceptions may be life saving emergencies.

If we know if it is an offense and a cop slapping a fine is natural and has to be accepted. Yes, Govt is not perfect, we dont have infrastructure, etc etc. That doesnt give any reasoning to violate the rule.

For ones who bash on cops' attitude, pl try walking around in dusty, noisy, polluted streets filled with cars owned by people who find it is reasonable that any rule can be flouted provided one has an urgency (Heard it from a nice cop!).
I personally think courtesy is not needed for a repeated offender (no matter how small offense is), with simple reasoning that at least such lack of courtesy may stop offenses!
Slapping and fine and confiscating a licence to be canceled are two different arenas. Guna is not repeat violator and even if he were, how does the cop who caught him know that ? Is there a system to prove 'repeat offence' ?

And please, this cop walking around in dusty, noisy, polluted street has no logic. He chose this job and hence he is doing that job. Everyone has our parts to play in life. I am sympathetic towards them and I respect them too but only when they are doing their job humanly and not when they are harassing someone or taking bribes or using their badge around to flaunt power. Being humble is what these people need to learn asap and from all the 'Road tax fiasco stories I have heard here, they are not even H for HUMBLE'. A person driving an Alto maybe earning more than the cop, but that does not mean you 'THUG' the money out of him.

Last edited by humyum : 11th December 2014 at 00:27.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 00:15   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post

On one hand, we have constables and traffic wardens who spend the whole day in managing traffic, in busy junctions, inhaling all the dust and smoke and who go home with chronic illness. They are the real heroes who deserve complete respect.

On the other hand, we have the seniors who sit at the station all day, go out on a stroll now and then when they feel too lazy inside their cabins and create such incidents, go back to the station and become obese, both with food and money. Imagine if it was some other person, unlike the thread starter, not knowing what to do would settle for some bribe amount?

I appreciate the work done by some cops who really deserve their piece of cake. But these aren't the ones falling under that category. Of course, abiding the law, its a good thing that the licence went along the process defined in the system and not some under the table dealing.
audioholic is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 01:40   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
.. Is there a system to prove 'repeat offence' ? ..
BLR cops with BlackBerry can find the history of fines on the vehicle or a person (DL number) from their database.

Quote:
And please, this cop walking around in dusty, noisy, polluted street has no logic. He chose this job and hence he is doing that job. Everyone has our parts to play in life. I am sympathetic towards them and I respect them too but only when they are doing their job humanly and not when they are harassing someone or taking bribes or using their badge around to flaunt power. Being humble is what these people need to learn asap and from all the 'Road tax fiasco stories I have heard here, they are not even H for HUMBLE'. A person driving an Alto maybe earning more than the cop, but that does not mean you 'THUG' the money out of him.
After all penalties work on same principle. If the price to paid for an offense is ostensibly high, it acts as deterrent. Price need not be only money. If the fear of harassment (not the money) keeps a few driving habits a little better, why not?

On the other hand, a person driving a car, should also read the rule book and follow in spirit and letter!

PS: I am not justifying the actions of the cop; but as commuting public, we are not anywhere close to what rulebooks tell us to be.
babu.sundaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 02:02   #35
BHPian

If you think the cops are doing something wrong, then don't give them a chance to do so. As simple as that. And if you are doing something wrong/illegal, then you have to bear the consequences, as simple as that. It doesnt matter how small is your offence, the cops are simply doing their job. No point in blaming the cops. They are doing their job.
Rohitj92 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 09:43   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Imagine if I shifted to Bangalore, I will have to pay 40 thousand rupees for a Swift Diesel which falls in the 6 to 7 year slab in the first month I land in Bangalore. Imagine, house deposit, rent and now road tax even without me getting my first salary in my hand. Is that welcoming ? Does it sound logical... but I am just mentioning this to prove that BTP are bunch of thugs and chors.
You are confusing between Karnataka RTO and BTP. The road tax extortion is conducted by Karnataka RTO, not BTP. Not only this is offtopic, you are barking up the wrong tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The traffic SI is indeed going overboard. Please post your complaint in Facebook BTP page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I was going to do that. Thanks.
Have you complained on BTP wall? I am checking everyday and not able to see the post.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 09:59   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
When I got back, i saw traffic cops who promptly issued ticket but also took my DL asking me to come to the police station to collect it.
When I went there I was told that they are sending my DL to RTO RECOMMENDING IT TO BE CANCELED!
Hi Guna - could you update on how this issue was handled - have you got your DL back?
akj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 10:18   #38
Senior - BHPian

Next time dont take it for granted and look for places marked for Parking. Only a handful have to go through this DL seizure as BTP cannot do it for every offender due to limited wheel locks they would have and a Tiger can tow 1 vehicle every 30-40 min. For the rest of them they would put the parking fine sticker.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 10:22   #39
BHPian

It's interesting to see the first few comments, that the Share of this Thread on Facebook, has received. It is representative of a somewhat different sentiment from other people, outside of this forum.
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 10:30   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Illegal parking is a non-moving violation. Cancelling DL for non-moving violation is absurd. The traffic SI is indeed going overboard. Please post your complaint in Facebook BTP page.
The problem is too widespread to be considered trivial or minor anymore. Huge traffic jams are the order of the day - take 1.5 hours to cover 15 kms on old airport road, marathahalli, kr puram, old madras road.

On langford road near that school, a two lane road has reduced to a one lane road due to parking of school buses on one whole side along with dozens of taxis and private vehicles.

If the police don't take strict measures, people will continue doing the same thing and paying Rs. 100 fine. Won't end up solving the actual problem.
farhadtarapore is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 10:55   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
If the police don't take strict measures, people will continue doing the same thing and paying Rs. 100 fine. Won't end up solving the actual problem.
Totally agree there. When shopping malls are charging Rs. 40 as parking charges, Rs. 100 fine for wrong parking is not really going to be a big deterrent for a lot of folks. They'll just consider it as convenience charge!

Unless there is a huge inconvenience associated with the illegal parking, people would still continue to do the same.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 10:58   #42
Senior - BHPian

The irony is this:
- A 2 wheeler that gets lifted by a Tiger (very good possibility as they can accommodate many) needs to pay 100(fine) + 200(tow charges). Its time consuming for the vehicle owner and may need to get there in an Auto and get the bike back. Average of 350 bucks one can say.
- For a car owner, a very good % get away by a mere 100rs fine sticker(Tiger limited to take only 1 4 wheeler and cops have limited wheel locks). Often its close to or cheaper than a fee we pay at a mall for half a day. Also considering how much a 2 wheeler pays for the offense, the 100Rs fine literally feels free or owner thinks, no issues, I will pay 100 as my need of parking is sufficed.

Last edited by funkykar : 11th December 2014 at 11:00.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 11:26   #43

Exclamation Re: Driving Licence confiscated for violating 'No Parking' zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I guess I had come across this ultra rude guy of Jayanagar station last week. Reading this made me feel horrible or rather lucky for not going through the same fiasco.

This experience may sound funny, but the cop I am talking about was the most disgusting guy I have come across. It so happened that when my dad went to get groceries from a shop less than a km away from my house, in a practically no traffic area, he had parked the car in a no parking area for a minute(time taken to get a bunch of leafies from a vegetable vendor) and this smart cop comes from nowhere and sticks the NP notice on the car and disappears.
It was so random that my dad realised this after coming home that there was a notice up the windshield.

So since my car had a pending fine, I was on a stroll in Jayanagar when I saw this ultra mean cop fining people who had parked around the shopping complex area. I then pictured myself as a sincere and honest citizen and thought of paying the fine to him. I thought he would be happy with some extra collection for no damn effort of his. When I approached him, he thought I was paying spot fine(for an immediate offence) and asked my vehicle number. I told him that I had a notice pending and wanted to pay up. He realised it later and was about to fine me for a spot offence :O Then he was kind of disappointed and showed me the previous offence and generated a bill. I paid and he literally snatched the cash and walked away. Also, in front of me, he fined another guy whose vehicle was clamped, while another car belonging to a judge was let go, in spite of the poor fined guy asking the same thing. When he asked them to remove the clamp, he told it will take some time.

All this while, I was annoyed at his attitude. Now, I feel lucky since this ******* didn't seize my licence for no mistake of my own. He wouldn't have even listened to my story at that time. They need to follow rules I agree, but that should be accompanied with some logic and reasoning.

In the same lines, I had walked to a police guy two years back to pay for another no parking offence(all near my house - by dad since he cant walk much because of knee problem). This guy was happy that I was voluntarily paying up fine and ended the exchange with a smile and a handshake. Whole some cops are professional, others are plain useless.

The parking problems in Bengalooru city are primarily existing thanks to the ever growing population, poor planning and a cancer known as corruption.

BBMP, who while giving permissions for the so called complexes, do not care if the the basements of the complexes which are initially shown as car park as actually being used as car parks or converted to shops.....because they have been PAID HEFTY BRIBES TO TURN BLIND TO THESE VIOLATIONS.

Namma Bengalooru Cops.......The less said the better.......

We are to partly to blame......Lets follow rules and don't give them a chance.
Lets make an effort and beat them at their own game.

Last edited by Samurai : 11th December 2014 at 11:50. Reason: Less said the better...
devil_for_ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 11:39   #44
BHPian

As a Jayanagar resident myself, I can tell you that the road sense is getting horrible. People are driving on the wrong side of the road, overspeeding, breaking signal; the whole lot ! And the traffic cops have tried various measures to curb these problems but people still flout the rules blatantly. I think the cops have had enough and are trying to enforce strict punishments, hoping that the traffic violators better get their head together and start obeying rules.

And as for the gentleman in the previous posts comparing our policemen as Taliban and this is just a money making gimmick ? That's not so pleasing to hear. Even though it doesn't seem like it but these guys work hard at their jobs and it really takes your stress to a whole new level.

At the end of the day, obey the law.
shoaib3030 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 11:46   #45
Senior - BHPian

The irony of situation in our country.
A first time parking zone violation gets licence confiscated, while a serial rapist gets to drive the cab for years together with the same licence and permit.
mpksuhas is offline   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote