Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2015, 22:52   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Vasai Virar
Posts: 11
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Being part of a 5 vehicle Pileup in Mumbai

VEHICLES IN THE ORDER OF PILE UP:
1 Octavia
1 Indica
1 Swift (MINE)
1 Rickshaw
1 Fortuner

TIME OF ACCIDENT : 7:16 pm Jan 4, 2015

ACCIDENT SPOT: Just before Malad Flyover, Western Expressway, Mumbai

Mumbai: Returning from a Friend's place, I was heading home listening to Bon Iver's Holocene. Driving peacefully; maintaining a safe distance from the Indica ahead.....BAM, he applies urgent brakes. I apply them in a conditioned reflex too. Saving only a few millimeters of distance from the Indica's bumper. Breathing a sigh of relief, patting my back with the apparent damage I had saved the car from. And BANG!!!. I look into the rear mirror; a Rick has violated my Swift's beautiful derrière. Second BANG!!! A Fortuner has struck the rick pushing it even more inside my car. As I step outside, I see the Indica I saved has rammed into an Octavia. Which apparently stopped urgently to save itself running over a political hoarding lying on the First Lane.

As I begin to take pictures, the Skoda and Indica guys runaway. So does the Fortuner guy after seeing the policeman approach.

Traffic Policemen take me and Rickshawwalla aside. Begin to assess the damage of both vehicles. Rickshawwalla asks me to cough up the money for the damage caused. Clearly my vehicle was more damaged, I thought I'll have to put up a fight.

But here comes the element of surprise!! Traffic Police defend me and so do the just arrived Local Police Constables. Saying, firstly a Rickshaw cant ply on the first lane of a highway. Secondly, technically he rammed into me and not otherwise. Taken aback, he says its a rented rick and cant do anything. He has the lender to answer with the damage and says he wants to register a complaint & wants to be reimbursed for the damage done.

Alrighty then, you want a complaint filed, Lets roll. Local Policemen assure me that I am out of trouble as they've heard the first hand account from the traffic constables. As I reach the Dindoshi Police Station, we wait for the rick. But no one turns up. Getting info from his walkie talkie, we are informed that the rick guy ran away.

To top it all, the constable calls my dad and tells him I wasn't at fault. And without having a penny in bribe, I was helped by these truly gentle policemen. I thank you all.

Special Mention: PC Maruti Patil Mumbai Police ; thanks for your support

Shared by A Proud BHPian
Attached Thumbnails
Being part of a 5 vehicle Pileup in Mumbai-screen-shot-20150104-10.41.44-pm.png  

Being part of a 5 vehicle Pileup in Mumbai-screen-shot-20150104-10.41.51-pm.png  

Being part of a 5 vehicle Pileup in Mumbai-screen-shot-20150104-10.32.04-pm.png  

Being part of a 5 vehicle Pileup in Mumbai-screen-shot-20150104-10.32.12-pm.png  

Being part of a 5 vehicle Pileup in Mumbai-screen-shot-20150104-10.32.20-pm.png  

Being part of a 5 vehicle Pileup in Mumbai-screen-shot-20150104-10.32.39-pm.png  


Last edited by GTO : 6th January 2015 at 09:52. Reason: Typos
Sidd BHP is offline   (63) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 10:08   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,613
Thanked: 949 Times
Default re: Being part of a 5 vehicle Pileup in Mumbai

Attaboy police!
I was mildly surprised reading your experience. I say mildly because I have realized in a few instances that the constables these days appear to be more logic driven than in past.

But I am dismayed that such a pile up happened. Clearly a case of people not maintaining the desired distance (which increases with the speeds). And what about the political hoarding? Who gets caught for that lying on the road as a hazard?!

Just yesterday I saw some flags and banners on the road divider with COCONUTS hanging. Imagine if those coconuts decide to drop on a car's windshield or roof. Or worse, drops on a two wheeler rider :O

Last edited by alpha1 : 5th January 2015 at 10:10.
alpha1 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 11:23   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 4,924
Thanked: 1,912 Times
Red face re: Being part of a 5 vehicle Pileup in Mumbai

Sidd,

Sorry to know that you were unwillingly involved in the pile up. Must admit the rickshaw driver's audacity for asking you the compensation when he should have been claiming one from the Fortuner guy. I guess the bigger vehicle made its fearful presence on him. Can see the passengers still inside when the rickshaw rear is seen crumpled.

Hats off to Mumbai policemen who used their heads before their heart.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 11:37   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,038
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default re: Being part of a 5 vehicle Pileup in Mumbai

Rickshaw brakes not getting applied in time is bit understandable (though not excusable), but Fortuner guy really had some brain failure to speed up when he can't control the brakes. Bigger the vehicle, higher is the responsibility to drive it sanely. Sadly that was not the case here.

You are lucky it turned out in your favour. Sorry for your swift, but be thankful you were not directly rammed by the idiotic Fortuner and had that rickshaw to soften that blow. It's a bitter and sweet start to a new year.
ani_meher is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 12:32   #5
BHPian
 
Octane_Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 625
Thanked: 399 Times
Default re: Being part of a 5 vehicle Pileup in Mumbai

The moron rickshaw guy has got some guts to ask you to cough up for the damages. You should have asked him to first pay for your car's damages.

The Fortuner also suffered good amount of damage, isn't it? And what about the Octy and Indica? They were the least affected or what was it?

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 13:40   #6
BHPian
 
Napo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/Calicut
Posts: 38
Thanked: 15 Times
Default re: Being part of a 5 vehicle Pileup in Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidd BHP View Post
...Saving only a few millimeters of distance from indica's bumper. Breathing a sigh of relief patting my back with the apparent damage I had saved the car from. And BANG!!!. I Look into the rear mirror ;a Rick has violated my Swift's beautiful derriere. Second BANG!!! A Fortuner has struck the rick pushing it even more inside my car. A
Shared by A Proud BHPian
Sidd BHP
I can see only a hair line gap between swift and Indica. Were you on your brakes when the rick banged? Otherwise you might have hit the Indica making things worse :-(.

Last edited by GTO : 6th January 2015 at 00:08. Reason: Typo
Napo is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 14:21   #7
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,625
Thanked: 9,096 Times
Default re: Being part of a 5 vehicle Pileup in Mumbai

Contrary to popular belief, cops are actually quite reasonable, especially Mumbai cops. The fact that you didn't run away from the scene must have definitely worked in your favour.

Can imagine your chargin, stopping in time only to have someone propel you into the vehicle ahead from behind!
noopster is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 14:46   #8
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 7,268
Thanked: 4,423 Times
Default re: Being part of a 5 vehicle Pileup in Mumbai

The best part was the cops calling your folks to support you. What an "alibi" to have

Well done police !
Eddy is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 14:57   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Vasai Virar
Posts: 11
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napo View Post
I can see only a hair line gap between swift and Indica. Where you on your brakes when the rick banged? Otherwise you might have hit the Indica making things worse :-(.
Yes my feet were pressing the brakes It was an emotional roller coaster. One moment of relief and the other is the relief killer, and yes I'm thankful to my wits I was hard pressing the brakes. The Indica's rear end was saved. But mine took the hit.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Rickshaw brakes not getting applied in time is bit understandable (though not excusable), but Fortuner guy really had some brain failure to speed up when he can't control the brakes. Bigger the vehicle, higher is the responsibility to drive it sanely. Sadly that was not the case here.

You are lucky it turned out in your favour. Sorry for your swift, but be thankful you were not directly rammed by the idiotic Fortuner and had that rickshaw to soften that blow. It's a bitter and sweet start to a new year.
A very happy new year to you too. Didn't turn out to be so happy for me. But great to have Team-bhp's support. More bitter than sweet I'll say. Ricks can't ply on first lane by the way. The Traffic Constables told me so at least.


Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 5th January 2015 at 15:27. Reason: Back to back posts.
Sidd BHP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 15:05   #10
BHPian
 
poised2drive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 259
Thanked: 256 Times
Default re: Being part of a 5 vehicle Pileup in Mumbai

I am sorry to see that beautiful car taking the brunt of irresponsible drivers !
But I am happy you did not have to undergo all the distress that a common Indian would, otherwise, have to ,given the attitude of the typical cops.
Those cops deserve an applause and I hope this is just not an anomaly.
And I guess the rear damage would be covered by the insurance, wouldn't it?
poised2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 15:08   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Vasai Virar
Posts: 11
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
I am sorry to see that beautiful car taking the brunt of irresponsible drivers !
But I am happy you did not have to undergo all the distress that a common Indian would, otherwise, have to ,given the attitude of the typical cops.
Those cops deserve an applause and I hope this is just not an anomaly.
And I guess the rear damage would be covered by the insurance, wouldn't it?
Given the car to showroom this morning. Yes its covered by Zero Depreciation Insurance. But yes its not just the fibre bumper. But also the metal dome housing the Extra Tyre has taken the hit. So its gonna be quite a job to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Contrary to popular belief, cops are actually quite reasonable, especially Mumbai cops. The fact that you didn't run away from the scene must have definitely worked in your favour.

Can imagine your chargin, stopping in time only to have someone propel you into the vehicle ahead from behind!
haha i was definitely chagrined. but yes not running away did work in my favor. The police were supportive. And i got a strong alibi to tell my father. otherwise bhpians seriously its a chore explaining parents how you were not at fault...

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Contrary to popular belief, cops are actually quite reasonable, especially Mumbai cops. The fact that you didn't run away from the scene must have definitely worked in your favour.

Can imagine your chargin, stopping in time only to have someone propel you into the vehicle ahead from behind!
they most definitely do reason nowadays i must say. at least from this personal street experience

Last edited by GTO : 6th January 2015 at 09:54. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Sidd BHP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 15:15   #12
BHPian
 
poised2drive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 259
Thanked: 256 Times
Default re: Being part of a 5 vehicle Pileup in Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidd BHP View Post
Given the car to showroom this morning. Yes its covered by Zero Depreciation Insurance. But yes its not just the fibre bumper. But also the metal dome housing the Extra Tyre has taken the hit. So its gonna be quite a job to do
well, I guess something is better than nothing ! But seriously, it feels absolutely ridiculous to shed money from our pockets for the other fellow's mistake as well .
poised2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 15:17   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Vasai Virar
Posts: 11
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Attaboy police!
I was mildly surprised reading your experience. I say mildly because I have realized in a few instances that the constables these days appear to be more logic driven than in past.

But I am dismayed that such a pile up happened. Clearly a case of people not maintaining the desired distance (which increases with the speeds). And what about the political hoarding? Who gets caught for that lying on the road as a hazard?!

Just yesterday I saw some flags and banners on the road divider with COCONUTS hanging. Imagine if those coconuts decide to drop on a car's windshield or roof. Or worse, drops on a two wheeler rider :O
It was a swwacch Bharat abhiyan hoarding by some local politician by the way hah what an irony!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
well, I guess something is better than nothing ! But seriously, it feels absolutely ridiculous to shed money from our pockets for the other fellow's mistake as well .
I know right . Even though its covered by insurance. My Premium will rise. And also i ll lose my no claim bonus

Last edited by GTO : 6th January 2015 at 00:12. Reason: Back to back posts.
Sidd BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 16:45   #14
BHPian
 
Napo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/Calicut
Posts: 38
Thanked: 15 Times
Default re: Being part of a 5 vehicle Pileup in Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidd BHP View Post
Yes my feet were pressing the brakes It was an emotional roller coaster. One moment of relief and the other is the relief killer, and yes I'm thankful to my wits I was hard pressing the brakes. The Indica's rear end was saved. But mine took the hit.....
Good presence of mind. Otherwise along with Indica's rear end your front bumper might also get a hit.
Nice to hear about the cops being so helpful. Something that doesn't happen all the time.
Napo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 17:16   #15
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,186
Thanked: 12,728 Times
Default re: Being part of a 5 vehicle Pileup in Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidd BHP View Post
VEHICLES IN THE ORDER OF PILE UP:
1 Octavia
1 Indica
1 Swift (MINE)
1 Rickshaw
Great Policemen!

And moreover good braking by you for saving the front end at least else the repair would have inflated further. ABS kicking in. Eh?!

As I can assess the damages and do check the below:

1) Rear bumper: ₹ 2300 (for a new one)
2) Painting the rear bumper: ₹ 2000-2500
3) Clips for the rear bumper: ₹ 100-200
4) Check the wheel well (Spare wheel)
5) Check the alloy wheel and if it is OK then get it balanced;
6) Boot door can be repaired by denting.

All the best and do feel sorry for you as you'll be needing to shell it from your pocket. You should have noted down the Octavia's number and also the Autorickshaw guy's number to at least get some compensation. Though they'll not respond.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Major pileup on Texas highway, record 100+ vehicles involved ghodlur Street Experiences 14 16th February 2015 10:38
Polaris Slingshot: Part car, part motorcycle, all excitement ashkamath The International Automotive Scene 0 2nd September 2014 17:12
6000 kms road trip travelogue (Mumbai-HP-Punjab-Jammu-Raj.-Ahmedabad-Mumbai)-PART-1 Pankaj1126 Travelogues 20 25th April 2011 19:11
6000 kms road trip travelogue (Mumbai-HP-Punjab-Jammu-Raj.-Ahmedabad-Mumbai)-PART-II Pankaj1126 Travelogues 8 4th February 2008 13:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:02.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks