Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 25th January 2015, 12:28   #91
BHPian

Default Re: List of avoidable holiday spots & sightseeing places!

I feel the below places are highly avoidable:

Jaisalmer: The highlight is the fort complex wherein people currently reside inside, it's turned into a sort of an open mall with boards and banners and wares displayed on every empty space. There are open gutters and the stink of ammonia.

The other highlight for someone coming to Jaisalmer is to visit the Sam Sand Dunes, which now is more of a litter dune with empty chip packets, beer bottles!
There is an alternative in the form of Khuri dunes but they are not really impressive in size.

Kumbalgarh - The fort is in decent condition but the light and show which is supposed to be the highlight is quite overhyped. I would not recommended for anyone to go out of their itinerary and visit here.

Goa - Calangute and Baga beaches - Its their 'juhu' beach. Avoid always.

Lonavala - Nothing to do except bump into the same people of Mumbai whom you were trying to avoid in the first place!! Also thrown in the mix are litter, loud music and traffic jams to recreate an authentic 'Mumbai' feel.

And ofcourse all the 'popular' temples where people somehow are completely comfortable in an atmosphere filled with litter, greed and wastage.

Last edited by trek : 25th January 2015 at 12:30.
trek is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2015, 03:01   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Bottom line - I feel it is NOT the problem of the place, but rather the crowd/people which makes it a mess.
+1 to this. Many of the so called holiday destinations have been over-hyped by the media and crowd that it has lost its charm. But visit any of these places in off-season, you will get a totally different experience. The only problem is how to manage your vacation time and that of your family
jeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2015, 11:22   #93
BHPian

My 2 cents.

1. Shimla - A concrete overcrowded hill with no character left.

2. Lonavala/Khandala - Extended chaotic suburbs of Bombay - Avoid like the plague especially during the weekends.

3. Saputara - Not worth the time and money, overcrowded and nothing to do beyond 1/2 a day.

4. Daman - Drunk drivers, dirty beaches.

5. Baga / Calangute strech, Goa - Dirty, overcrowded tourist trap.
clix22 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2015, 16:51   #94
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Smile Re: List of avoidable holiday spots & sightseeing places!

Great thread ak916,

Apart from the usual suspects, I have one addition.

4 years back I went on a holiday with family to Rajasthan.
It was in Ajmer that this happened to me.

We were staying at Hotel Satyam, Ajmer and the hotel supplied tourist guide suggested we see Mayo College.

I was under the impression that Mayo College is a school.
Boy, was I wrong!!

The place has turned into a tourist attraction now. Turns out the management encourages tourists to visit the place during the entire year to SEE THEIR CULTURE.

I saw the beautiful buildings which I was prepared to see.

What I was not prepared to see were children in their classes as a part of the official Mayo tour. The kids were in their classes when tourists were made to usher past their classes and corridors. Now just imagine the plights of those kids. They are made to stay away from their families with no contact with outside world and then they get to see so many people while they are supposed to study. The sadness in their eyes was overwhelming. The kids must have felt like wild animals in a zoo.

Thankfully photography was not allowed at that time. But I wouldn't be surprised if the management decides to allow it for THE EXPERIENCE.

A place I will never go back to for sure is Mayo College tour.
DevilzzzzOwn is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 20:38   #95

Mysore:

Mysore palace:
As another poster pointed out, this place has absolutely nothing to offer. There are several broken bulbs decorating the peripheral wall outside the palace. You're asked to remove your footwear before entering the palace (which is complete nonsense IMHO). You're being forced to enter the palace through a shop where all kinds of sandalwood related stuff and mysore silk, etc. are being sold at an outrageous price. We felt that this was a complete waste of our time.

Brindavan gardens:
Crowds of people loitering around, eating stuff, and throwing garbage everywhere. Then there are way too many 'fountains' spraying water above the ground for a few feet, and it's lit up in colours (most of which looks cheap and ugly). There's a lake where extremely overloaded boats ferry people around a 'musical fountain' (close your eyes and think of a large fountain amidst a lake crowded with too many noisy boats, and loud, cheap music playing at the same time - it's dark all over). The toilet outside this place was probably the worst I've seen in a long time. Thieves are common in the large, dark parking area (You'll see warning boards about it). A nightmarish place that's being oversold as a tourist attraction.
Kalashnikov is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 21:11   #96
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov View Post
Brindavan gardens:
Crowds of people loitering around, eating stuff, and throwing garbage everywhere. Then there are way too many 'fountains' spraying water above the ground for a few feet, and it's lit up in colours (most of which looks cheap and ugly). There's a lake where extremely overloaded boats ferry people around a 'musical fountain' (close your eyes and think of a large fountain amidst a lake crowded with too many noisy boats, and loud, cheap music playing at the same time - it's dark all over). The toilet outside this place was probably the worst I've seen in a long time. Thieves are common in the large, dark parking area (You'll see warning boards about it). A nightmarish place that's being oversold as a tourist attraction.

Completely agree! Huge waste of time. The light and musical fountain show is extremely basic.

Let me add one more point. My car was blocked from all sides when I returned to the parking.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2015, 17:56   #97

The great oh-city of pilgrims called Nashik.

You dare not visit the temples here on weekends/public holidays esp. if you are just a couple!
  1. Trimbakeshwar: Highly commercialized since few yrs, everyone wants to swipe their fingers on your wallet or rob your phone for those toll-free unit.. right from Parking, entry to skip move 10 feet ahead of the line, special prashad etc. etc. ! The pandits here run behind you like bees around a flower - do this pooja, that pooja.. etc. Seriously Overcrowded - full of pushes and shouting people kinda... Lot of visitors have no sense of driving or parking. I stopped going inside the temple if at all my parents forced me to take them there. "DoorDarshan" is the safest & best! You won't be allowed to go closer than 15ft away from the shiv-ling. Look down or up in the mirror or the LED screens. Please carry your food or come back home taking pills to avoid side-effects of dirty oil vada pav or missal which is what you get in abundance! The place is filthy... seriously bad scene and poor management.
  2. Shirdi: I love the temple but then Human beings have made it so very unholistic experience. They say its a money magnet... for devotees, hotel industry and Pay-To-Jump-The-Queue crew. Please avoid Thursdays to Sunday (both inclusive). The experience is on the same lines as Trimbak but overall its not as badly managed. Yes, visitor experience is been commercialized by the local bhai-log.
  3. Someshwar (waterfall/temple): This is on-the way to Sula but trust me its full of really terrible crowd. The temple is not maintained well. If you have kids, you'll hear them scared of the dog-chase around. There are a few kiddo-rides swings/see-saw which are in hopeless condition too. Couples beware - the cops or "those dressed as cops" will nicely want to fine you for "indecent behaviour in public place" even if you didn't do it! Lots of chain snatching happens here or on the road around beyond 6-30 pm.

General Precautions for Drivers

1. Incase of a break-down "discuss auto fare First":

Not to mention, beware of the auto-wallas in this city for they love to charge you a good 50-60 bucks for just a kilometer distance! The city runs without meters and if you can't speak their level of marathi - you are welcome mr. visitor - you deserve the "Travellors-Special Auto Fare".

2. Caught By Traffic Cop:

If a traffic cop catches you here, do not mess with them. Never answer back. Simply accept your fault (even if not urs) and pay the "small" fine! They love the word "Saheb" .... Don't ever say the reciept is fake.

Disclaimer:

I am by no way saying any of the temples are bad. These are human experiences and you might have better or worse interactions depending upon your visit. The purpose of putting it online was indeed to share it and if you are the temple owner/trustee/manager - this should be a good feedback for improving or checking on who is spoiling the holy place.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st June 2015 at 16:16. Reason: Corrected spacing. Thanks! :)
TheLeapYearGuy is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2015, 08:45   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushal21fb View Post
My take on this topic, whatever places you go do not go in the peak season. For e.g. go to Manali in September/Oct (avoid honeymoon period or summer holidays), visit Nainital in mid Dec i.e. before Christmas/New Year period etc. Avoid long weekends, and public holidays.
I was in Manali for the past couple days and I can confirm that it's a complete mess. Too many tourists in spite of heavy rains and the snow point in Solang Valley is pretty bad. The snow is dirty and it's all touristy activities sold as adventure. We paid 3500 for renting coveralls and boots and two "adventures", namely snow tube and skiing. Snow tube is basically sliding down a short distance in an inflated rubber tube (like the ones in tyres). Skiing is on a short plain and also a waste of time. Avoidable place.
Crow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2015, 18:45   #99
BHPian

Having extensively travelled around southern India, these are my "to avoid" places.

Kanyakumari: Cape Comorin and the boat ride to the statue on a rock. If you've managed to get through the hordes of people lining up to board the boat to that rock and finally reach there, you'll be disappointed to find absolutely nothing of interest. After a few minutes of running circles around the rock, you're packed into the boat like a can of sardines and unloaded back on shore. Loads of touts and anti-social elements in this area make it a place to avoid. The best recommendation would be to stay put in a hotel facing the sea and enjoy the same view in the comfort of your room.

Rameswaram: Avoid the town at all costs. Crowded, littered and full of flies, so many of them, that they swarm you like you were a honeycomb. The beauty lies just outside the main town area which is the road to Dhanushkodi. Very scenic.

Kodaikanal: Beautiful hill town. But there's a place called Berijam lake that requires a forest permission. Moreover, if you're driving down, it's even harder to get a permission as there's only a certain number of cars allowed in a day. Cabs are preferable. After all the formalities and hype created around it you're left disappointed with nothing but a view tower and thorny bushes. The lake itself is nothing to write home about. Avoid the other so called scenic spots too, like the pine forest, silver cascade, guna caves. These spots are hangouts for tourists who want to indulge in anti-social activities and get away with it! Also, horrible parking spots due to haphazard parking by tourist vans and buses. If you still want to check these places out, leave your car at the hotel and hire a cab! The real beauty of Kodaikanal lies outside it, in neighbouring towns like Mannavanur. This place is a "photoshop" of Switzerland.

Munnar: After all the effort of going to the top, there's very little to keep you engaged or to have a "visit again" effect on you. Many of the cottages advertise themselves as being in Munnar but after you're there, you realise, that such places cannot even be classified as a hill station although the postal address will say "Munnar" on it. I had the misfortune of staying in one, which was situated in a valley so steep, infested with insects I have no clue of. It was a record break attempt to get my Ertiga out of that place and I vowed never to visit that place again. There are other non-tourist scenic spots in Kerala that are hidden gems in this state. Munnar is definitely not one of them. If you're looking for cool weather, get prepared to be disappointed.

Courtallam: Avoid at all costs. Another "hyped over the top" place that's lost its charm it once used to have. Today, this place is no more suitable for families. I've seen policemen in uniform having a few pints in full public view! The area around the falls is full of monkeys (both animal and.....) without proper amenities.

Thekkady Boat Ride: The worst boat ride of my life. I've never felt more compelled to jump out and end the ride as this one! The tickets are expensive and there's quite a queue to get past. Once you're on the steamer, they take you on a 1.5 hour ride around the lake. After the initial euphoria is over, you spend the next 1 hour gazing at nothing and hoping the ride will end soon. If you're still persistent, take the first ride at about 7 in the morning. Any later, you will sit with the scorching sun beating down on you inside a cage that's a boat. HIGHLY UNRECOMMENDED!

Mahabalipuram: Since I'm from Chennai, I should warn others about this place. They charge you for entering this town. There is absolutely nothing in this town except shops that fleece tourists and foreigners. Even the caves and the heritage buildings there are nothing worthy of mention. If you want sandy beaches, just pull into one before you enter this town. There are loads of them with easy access on the ECR.

London: Many still confuse London and the UK. For them to have visited London is to have seen the UK. But the truth is, you'll appreciate the beauty of this country once you head out of London. Don't get me wrong: London is good but in my opinion, not worth the hype surrounding it. It's crowded, teeming with people any time of the day and the entry tickets for tourist spots - uber expensive and not worth the price. There are better looking European cities. The actual beauty of England is in its countryside. Don't miss out if you have the time.
swiftdiesel is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 13:01   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Having extensively travelled around southern India, these are my "to avoid" places.
Well, You have chosen some of the really famous spots(read - crowd pulling) and marked them as to be avoided. Firstly, forget tourist spots, get into any of our buses with 30 people and you will find that there are minimum 5 anti social elements there. To be clear, I am not claiming them to be criminals, but people who cause inconvenience to others - spitting, littering, making unnecessary noise, coughing hygienically, etc.

Secondly, its true that some places are overrated -for example, boat ride in Kanyakumari(many like the rides and island, its the wait that drains ones enthusiasm), Rameshwaram temple(religiously important hence highly polluted by the big crowds - guess it applies to a lot of places), likewise at all other spots you mentioned.

All across the world, there are only few "FAMOUS" spots which can be visited at ease. Rest all have some problem because of the crowds and improper management. And in India, with such high population, one will really find it difficult to claim a famous spot to be really convenient to visit. So if convenience is important, please visit these places at off season and on a working day/religiously unimportant day and one will really enjoy it.

And there are some really wonderful places that are relatively less visited -
1) temples around Thanjavur -kumbakonam-chidhambram-Vedaranyam belt.
2) beaches in ECR apart from Mahabalipuram and chennai like you mentioned.

And lastly, never believe what the package people tell you. In most cases they lie about what is the place is really known for(I have also been cheated by these people in a trip to - Kodaikanal-Munar-thekkady). I got a chance to visit these places with friends who knew these places well and I really enjoyed it though it was in peak season.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 17th April 2015 at 22:17. Reason: Typo corrected. Please check carefully before posting please.
ANewExperience is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 19:02   #101
Senior - BHPian

Awesome thread. Love it. Yes, very subjective but hey everyone has posted mostly their own experiences and so they are entitled to their views. But it is obvious there are some missed expectations - as in someone would have watched a movie about the place or a friend would have told them about it and so went ahead with the trip and found it boring. Another thing that I have often noticed - when you travel to a place with friends who don't have the same mindset as you have, they tend to start cribbing and even you will get bored of the trip after that. Has happened to me - so I am quite thankful that at this age in life, my friends are on the same wavelength and when I know they won't even be interested in a trip that I like, I just go alone.

Some people have mentioned Kanyakumari and I totally agree. There is NOTHING in that place! I mean, unless you are religiously inclined or believe that you see 3 different coloured seas at Land's end. And honestly, even Vivekananda Rock is boring - I mean, imaging walking around in your bare feet on that hot rock. Ouch! And worst of the time to visit is during December - sorry to say but too many tourists, pilgrims. And mostly all of them plant landmines along the coastline and leave.

But there is an alternative - if you are of my mindset - take a nice sea-facing room with an open balcony if possible, watch life passing by. But hey, thats just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_pphilip View Post

I find this thread extremely useful not for the list of places to avoid but for the reasons given in support because it will help me in deciding and evaluating when I get to these places, but Iíll still get there to experience the good and bad as it will give me a clear picture of how bad or good it can get, broadens my perspective since I experienced and went through it. The best part about TBHP is, there are so many honest and beautifully documented threads which triggers the travelers spirit in you, helps you travel armed with helpful information.
Totally agree on the lines you've mentioned. This thread is subjective, true. But perhaps you are of a totally different mindset than the person who put up the post - like a person visiting a fort without knowing the history behind it - then you might enjoy it if you are of that mindset!

I'd travelled Cambodia alone and I LOVED it! It took me some 8 hours to just complete Angkor Wat temple only. I was tripping my head off there. But I saw so many people with obviously bored faces there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post
Nandi hills is horrible during the day. You should book a room at the KTDC hotel and stay over one night to see how the place transforms during the night. The cost is about 1k to 3k per room. The 1k room has a better view of the city/airport. The tourists are asked to leave at about sunset except for those who have taken rooms. We have great memories of that place. We stayed there for 3 consecutive weekends in 2013, thats how much we liked that place.
Yes, this has been at the back of my mind for a really long time. I need to go sometime and stay there. Thanks for bringing back the idea.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 19:59   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Awesome thread. Love it. Yes, very subjective but hey everyone has posted mostly their own experiences and so they are entitled to their views.
My sincerest apologies if i have hurt anyone. What i wanted to say was that rather than posting "places to avoid", it would be nice to post "things to avoid at places" based on one's opinion. Like Naveenroy said opinions are very subjective but it could mislead people to miss out things(places)

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 17th April 2015 at 22:12. Reason: typo corrected
ANewExperience is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2015, 15:30   #103
BHPian

Smile Re: List of avoidable holiday spots & sightseeing places!

Worst time to visit any place is between March to May, if you worried about crowd . Generally school children would have got vacations during this time and people plan for outings, so all popular places will be filled with people.
Karthik Gullu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 16:03   #104

With my personal experience, it is better to visit any place in South India during exam season : Feb-Mar.
I would prefer to opt-out from the following places especially in weekends :
  1. Bangalore to Mysore : The 4 lane road is too crowded. So many vehicles. Better to use alternate road through Bangalore--> Kanakapura--> Malavalli--> Talakadu--> T Narasipura--> Mysore
  2. Mysore to Bangalore by evening Trains : Never book your tickets in evening trains from Mysore to Bangalore (Ex :Tirupathi passenger). People will travel in foot-board like in city bus. Very hard to get inside & take control over your seats
  3. Mysore Zoo: Main attraction for school trips from outside of Mysore. Sometimes so many people & irritating behaviour that i feel animals inside the cages are much better than humans outside.
  4. Brindavan Garden & Palace. Too big queue for tickets. But one remarkable experience is of Palace lightings in the evening. This will be there on Holidays & weekends. Unfortunately Beauty will lit up in crowded days. But a must see.
  5. Bandipur : Safari will be crowded. Not worth in the weekends. Alternative could be K Gudi, but animal sightings are rare.
I have experienced the beauty & worthiness of above places by taking leave & visiting on weekdays.

Following places i will avoid in specific season or date:
  1. JOG-FALLS : August 15th is a special day in JOG falls. Naturally rain will be more which leads to equal amount of water. Also the Falls will be projected by huge lights in the evening. Vehicle parking will go up to 4KMs long. Worst time to visit. Many people litter the place. Not at all comfortable. The same experience in long weekends.
  2. North Karnataka : Summer will be too HOT(~40 deg C) to bear. So better to avoid any places in North Karnataka like Hampi, Badami etc..
guru0101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 18:18   #105
BHPian

Quote:

Mahabalipuram: Even the caves and the heritage buildings there are nothing worthy of mention.
I think its all about what you are interested on. If you are someone who loves architecture and about archaeology then this is one of the best spot.

a classic example is I and my wife, i would have gone more than 10 times to this place but never lost interest on it whereas my wife shocked me with a comment when we went close to the big rock standing on the edge of the slope. When everyone will be wowed by it and would love to touch it, My wife casually said, "yeah lets sit here. I can see it from here and its nothing interesting". She was not even to keen to touch it once or get close to it.
klassics45 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote