Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 24th February 2015, 20:57   #16
BHPian

Default Re: 5 lakh crore to develop Indian Highway network by 2019

Leaving aside the ambitious hours quoted in the news, it will be good to see improvement in road infrastructure.

Earlier when NH 45 (Chennai-Trichy) used to be two lane road, it almost took more than six hours to cover the 320 km distance. With the four lane road and toll maintenance, the drive has become relatively stress free and can be covered within four hours. At least in Tamilnadu you can drive from Chennai to Kanyakumari, which is covered by four lane road and bye pass for major towns and cities. I think this is result of Golden Quadrilateral project, which has improved the driving condition to great extent. It is not perfect, but far better than what it was few years back.
AshBabu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 21:17   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Which ever agency or Government board/ministry is taking this decision, I will request them to please allot some funds for implementation of traffic rules to be followed on our highways.

This is more important than building roads IMHO.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 02:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I liked his confidence. I hope he can achieve even 20% of his said goals.
I even had a look at his interview on cnbc and he has some interesting ideas through which they can achieve it without over leveraging our balance sheets. The 200 kmph speed should be taken with a pinch of salt as i feel thats overly squeezed by all of us to miss the point of his interview by a mile.

Coming to high speed rails, i am following a set of articles on the railways by Bibek Debroy who is a economist with the railways and on the Niti Ayog body. It will open up your understanding on the railways pretty much.
http://swarajyamag.com/author/bdebroy/

Good luck

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 12:32   #19
BHPian

This is a very interesting thread. People have commented about the impractical claims made about the 6 hour -1000KM commute possibility.

I have one point here: The minister is talking about the quality of the road, and not the capability of vehicles that will be plying on it. He might be talking about creating corridors where intrusions would be minimal and hence a high speed, uninterrupted drive would become a reality. In fact, the figure might have been the result of a mathematically challenged officer in the government. That does not mean that the vision is flawed.
The expressways that have been created were also the result of a very ambitious vision that is still being realized after 15 years.

In India, unless you aim at the sky, people don't believe you. So many decades of State apathy has made us sceptical about identifying possibilities

Another point that I want to make is about the importance of roads in facilitating commerce, entrepreneurship in rural areas. There are researchers working on assessing the impact of roads on industrialization. Here is a study by world bank which states, among other conclusions, that the GQ project(s) have helped the movement of industries from urban to rural areas.

The point about increase in the concentration of cars is very valid. However, the market is still at a fraction of its potential. I say this because I am staying in a village right now and I can see the day in the next 5 years when many citizens who currently own a bike and use it for the daily commute would want to get a car. What I have realized is that most villages that are around a major city are witnessing a rise in prosperity (at least in pockets) at a fairly good pace. In the last 20 months that I have spent here, I have seen 3 new dealerships opening up- one for motorcycles (Hero), one for commercial vehicles (tractors+LCVs by Mahindra) and the third for passenger cars (Maruti). If this is the scene in one of the poorer states, one can imagine that the market forecast for the rest of the country would not be too different.

Having said that, I really doubt if there is any government department which is seriously monitoring the automobile sales in different categories to understand where our Oil imports would stand 10-15 years from today. Importing huge amounts of crude oil for keeping India on wheels is not a very smart thing to do. Electric cars, specifically LCVs like the Ace and Maximo, are going to help because most small scale industries in rural areas use them to transport their products. But that will give rise to electricity problems- already people face power cuts in summer.
I think the government is trying to clean the mess in steps. Roads will be the first step, then they would focus on increasing electric vehicles or making things like Bio Diesel commercially available . While they're at this, electricity generation and distribution would improve as well.

Like someone has mentioned in an earlier post, '' Acche Din '' aane mein time lagega

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 25th February 2015 at 12:34.
Nissan1180 is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 13:03   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshBabu View Post

Leaving aside the ambitious hours quoted in the news, it will be good to see improvement in road infrastructure.
I completely agree. At least there is serious thought of improving the infrastructure.

About the speeds being discussed, I would be happier with a road on which I can realistically cruise at 80kph for a thousand kilometers rather than a road where I can do 120kph but have to pass through dense traffic every 50 kilometers.

If the aim is improving the economy of the whole corridor (which I am sure it is), the focus needs to be on safe, efficient and fast movements of trucks. The cars, unfortunately come second in this prioritization.
braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 13:31   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
But 1000km in 6 hours by car? In which country has he seen that? Certainly not the US, where the highest speed limit is 75 mph (120 kph). I would guess that even in Germany, 1000km in 6 hours would be impossible. In India, with our lack of road discipline, attempting it would be complete insanity.
Maybe it's the Govt's "behind the scenes" attempt to cut down on population, stress the importance of life insurance and reiterate the need to learn Mathematics.
(How many zeroes do we have in 5 lakh crores anyway)
rav11stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 13:49   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Which ever agency or Government board/ministry is taking this decision, I will request them to please allot some funds for implementation of traffic rules to be followed on our highways.

This is more important than building roads IMHO.
Fully agree. The ST buses maintain the right most lane through the expressway, the trucker the middle lane, leaving the left most lane for passenger cars!! and if there is a parked truck whilst overtaking from left you've had it, and Toll queues eat up all the travel time gains!
scooby05 is offline   Reply With Quote