Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 10th June 2015, 16:25   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Zoomcar Hit and Run! What to do? Update - Zoomcar responds

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
With car DVRs getting cheaper by the day, I think ZoomCar can simply equip all their cars with a DVR each, maybe one even on the rear window. While GPS logs are evidence enough for speeding etc, video logs might come in handy in exception situations.
DVR has a limited time of recording. on an approximate term, a 4gb SD card in DVR can hold anywhere between 60min to 150min and if the car goes for 3 days(72Hrs), it gets impractical. However, it is more useful for the driver to prove his point in the instance of an accident. IMHO, DVR should be mandated in all the cars by law. Would greatly benefit the car owners and the insurance companies.
joelchandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2015, 16:28   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelchandra View Post
DVR has a limited time of recording. on an approximate term, a 4gb SD card in DVR can hold anywhere between 60min to 150min and if the car goes for 3 days(72Hrs), it gets impractical.
Which is why the loop recording feature!
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2015, 16:51   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Which is why the loop recording feature!
Well Said point! So, this will be only useful incase of capturing a untoward incident but cannot be used as a recording device to capture(for Self Drive rental companies) the way driver has driven the car.
joelchandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2015, 16:58   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelchandra View Post
Well Said point! So, this will be only useful incase of capturing a untoward incident but cannot be used as a recording device to capture(for Self Drive rental companies) the way driver has driven the car.
Capturing is one part but even if someone does capture a 10-hr drive who has got the time to go through the footage, doesn't make sense from a practical standpoint.

Now even if someone was to actually sit through a 10-hr long video, how do they prove that I was driving rash. I mean I took a curve at 60kmph with tyres screeching but the car rental cannot really penalize me, how do they "objectively" put their claim that I damaged something, tyre tread measurement is not taken before they give me the car.

Or say I ran over a couple of potholes at good speeds. The suspension, shockers n everything held up nicely and nothing really got damaged when one looks at the car, they can't prove anything.

So recording a long drive is not that important but having a couple of hours of latest footage would save everybody a lot of headache.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2015, 17:08   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Capturing is one part but even if someone does capture a 10-hr drive who has got the time to go through the footage, doesn't make sense from a practical standpoint.

Now even if someone was to actually sit through a 10-hr long video, how do they prove that I was driving rash. I mean I took a curve at 60kmph with tyres screeching but the car rental cannot really penalize me, how do they "objectively" put their claim that I damaged something, tyre tread measurement is not taken before they give me the car.

Or say I ran over a couple of potholes at good speeds. The suspension, shockers n everything held up nicely and nothing really got damaged when one looks at the car, they can't prove anything.

So recording a long drive is not that important but having a couple of hours of latest footage would save everybody a lot of headache.

Linking abs/esp/tcs sensors with dvr to start recording when one of these gets triggered maybe useful. Not sure if this is possible
kiran_cr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2015, 17:23   #51
Senior - BHPian

There are many products that can help here.

1) Dual cameras - There are dash cams with dual cameras capturing the road and driver.
2) G sensor motion detection - Camera will be turned on when there's a sudden change in the G force.
3) Wifi Car dvrs - These are in built wifi that transmit videos to the cloud and mobile device.

So there are many options available for the companies to adopt.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote