Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 5th May 2015, 17:23   #1
BHPian

Default Zoomcar Hit and Run! What to do? Update - Zoomcar responds

Hi All,

Need some immediate help on how to go about this.

Incident.
At around 4.50 pm today (5th May 2015), on Old Madras Road, near Avalahalli junction, a brown Honda Amaze from Zoomcar (its number ending with 5773), quickly changed lanes, was driven rashly and hit a two wheeler. The two wheeler was thrown 100 ft away and then hit a road median between the expressway and service road.

The driver sped the car away and while others stopped there to help, I managed to follow the car only upto a certain distance, and note down the number.

The driver sped away. Called 100 (Police Control Room) but I was told it was hard to track the car as they have little idea.

Called Zoomcar's customer care but did have to wait for quite a long time (10 mins) without a response.

I understand that Zoomcars have a GPS tracker and they would also know the live speed at which the car is going. So I hope this forum would help us in nabbing the culprit.

Request mods to move it to the appropriate thread and get the immediate attention required to nab the culprit.

Last edited by GTO : 6th May 2015 at 13:29. Reason: Correcting typos
kaushik_ak is offline   (29) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 17:41   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Zoomcar Hit and Run! What to do? Update - Zoomcar responds

Zoomcar seems to keep a very close tab on where there cars are (and even what speeds they are doing).

Once you share this information with them, they should be able to find out who was driving.

If the customer hotline wait was extremely long, there's always their twitter and facebook pages, which I'm sure they check frequently.

However, it would probably be in the best interest of justice if you share these details with the accident victim as well.

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th May 2015 at 17:52.
Rehaan is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 17:46   #3
BHPian

@Rehaan: Thanks and I completely agree with you.

Called up zoomcar customer care and even sent a mail and waiting for response.

Even though the maximum liablity of any damage is INR 5000. if the car gets damaged/ involves in an accident (forum members can correct me if wrong), I still wonder what made the driver speed away like that. Maybe the driver was afraid of getting beaten up. But escaping from the scene is not the right thing to do. Will keep the thread posted with any updates I get.
kaushik_ak is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 18:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_ak View Post
I understand that Zoomcars have a GPS tracker and they would also know live speed at which the car is going. So I hope this forum would help us in nabbing the culprit.
Good work that you noted the number but what good is it if the information is not shared with the victim?

How exactly would the forum help you in nabbing the culprit? You called up 100 but I don't think they seemed too interested in the case, else would've called you back for more details in case it was something serious.

Alternatively, maybe the victim had a serious injury but nobody knows who hit whom and they can't really do much about it. I doubt whether the police coordination is so good that somebody was able to relate the accident with your complaint containing details of the hit-n-run car.
Quote:
Called up zoomcar customer care and even sent a mail and waiting for response.
What good would a response be, irrespective of what it is. Even if zoomcar says that they'd approach the cops are you certain they will? I don't think they'd want to put one of their rental vehicles out of business.

I think the right thing to do, as already pointed out, would be to try to locate the victim and share this information with him. Else you could always go to the police station under who's jurisdiction the hit-n-run happened and share details with them. Of course I don't recommend it but then I'm not one of those who wants too much excitement too sudden.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 18:18   #5
BHPian

Need help from this forum on two things:

1. It is easy to get away with a self driven rented car as one has limited liability on the car and fellow users on the road. At least, if the car was one's own, there is a greater chance of surrender. How do we curb this on self driven cars? It can happen anywhere else.

2. Going by the fact that the police/zoomcar would be less interested in curbing such incidents and shoo away the incident to avoid negative publicity, how could we bring in a better system to stop such menace.

My intention was to inform Zoomcar on this incident and let the forum know the reactivity and sensitiveness of ZoomCar on such incidents. I am yet to get a response.

Informed Zoomcar to share the details of the driver with police after my oral complaint.
kaushik_ak is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 18:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. It is easy to get away with a self driven rented car as one has limited liability on the car and fellow users on the road. At least, if the car was one's own, there is a greater chance of surrender. How do we curb this on self driven cars? It can happen anywhere else.
I don't think its easy at all. Car rental companies take your credit card, ID proof, their office have CCTVs where one goes to submit details, they have GPS logs etc. so chances of getting away are almost nil.

As for the liability on the damage front, car rental companies have adequate measures in place to assess if there's a cosmetic damage to the car (one might be able to get away from a less visible mechanical damage).
Quote:
2. Going by the fact that the police/zoomcar would be less interested in curbing such incidents and shoo away the incident to avoid negative publicity, how could we bring in a better system to stop such menace.
Its not just a question, its THE question.
Quote:
My intention was to inform Zoomcar on this incident and let the forum know the reactivity and sensitiveness of ZoomCar on such incidents. I am yet to get a response.
I think everybody here would respect that you took time out to do something about it but there's only so much a regular Joe can do when others who have a higher legal or moral responsibility shy away from it.

Last edited by fine69 : 5th May 2015 at 19:01.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 18:51   #7
Team-BHP Support

I think you did the right thing and am appalled that the authorities claimed they could not catch the guy when they have all the information they need to do so!

Please go and file a complaint at the police station closest to where the accident took place and insist that they investigate. It would help to have the details of the victim before you do so, however.

Speaking objectively, given the immense negative publicity that Uber received after teh Delhi rape incident, I think Zoomcar would be eager to be seen as co-operating with the authorities and not shying away from their responsibility by shielding the perpetrator. When you rent a car abroad for example the rental agency shares all information with the local authorities for any transgressions. It should be no different here.

Mod Note: Changed the thread title because the earlier one was a bit confusing.

Last edited by noopster : 5th May 2015 at 19:12. Reason: Typo
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 19:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Please go and file a complaint at the police station closest to where the accident took place and insist that they investigate.
In case the victim didn't file a complaint himself I don't think the cops would do anything. I mean how can one insist on investigating if the other party is not interested in pressing charges?

I'm not sure if OP has had any experience in dealing with a situation where he's been a witness to an accident and there was a fatality or somebody got critically injured. We all know it doesn't work out very well for the witness in the end. So while I'm all for reporting the incident to police, he should know what he's getting into, maybe talk to his lawyer before approaching the cops. The biker was thrown away 100 meters so it doesn't look pretty at all.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 19:15   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
In case the victim didn't file a complaint himself I don't think the cops would do anything. I mean how can one insist on investigating if the other party is not interested in pressing charges?
True but it's quite possible that the victim or his relatives did later walk into a file a report but were handicapped by the fact that they didn't know the number AND they probably didn't realise it was a Zoom car that hit him. This is potentially vital information that makes OP a valuable witness if not an actual legitimate complainant.

The cops usually know of such incidents and if they are able to steer OP to the victim, he may at least get some justice for his pain and suffering. That's all I'm saying.

Edit: I've had a good experience with the Bangalore cops when a piece of construction debris was thrown off a site and broke my rear left window. The outcome I'm outlining above is not as far-fetched as one might imagine

Last edited by noopster : 5th May 2015 at 19:17.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 19:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

Just yesterday I wrote to Zoom Car on this Blue Ecosport that was being driven recklessly on the Salem - Bangalore route on 3rd May 2015. I have DVR recordings of the way this moron was cutting across traffic. They are yet to respond.
speedsatya is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 19:24   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
True but it's quite possible that the victim or his relatives did later walk into a file a report but were handicapped by the fact that they didn't know the number AND they probably didn't realise it was a Zoom car that hit him. This is potentially vital information that makes OP a valuable witness if not an actual legitimate complainant.
I too hope that this has happened already. Would check with the local police station in jurisdiction on the same. As suggested, if no complaint has been registered already, there is little we could do.

Last edited by Samurai : 5th May 2015 at 20:33. Reason: action taken
kaushik_ak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 19:34   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Just yesterday I wrote to Zoom Car on this Blue Ecosport that was being driven recklessly on the Salem - Bangalore route on 3rd May 2015. I have DVR recordings of the way this moron was cutting across traffic. They are yet to respond.
Had a similar observation,it was a Ford Figo.Spotted somewhere after Vellore driven very rashly and should be speeding at around 140km/hr. The driver was changing lanes with out looking at the mirror and blocking other vehicles from passing through. The vehicle was driven by three youngsters .I find it hard to believe that Zoom does a speed monitoring on their cars.
sandeep3in is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 20:14   #13
BHPian

Speed governors could be made mandatory on self driven cars. That would atleast partially help curb such incidents.
kaushik_ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 09:53   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,
The two wheeler was thrown 100ft away and then hit a road median between the expressway and service road.

Hey - what happened to the victim? I quickly scrolled through the posts but didnt find any mention of that. I can only hope that it wasnt serious given that you say it was 'thrown' 100 feet away and hit the median.

Last year, while driving to Goa in a Zoom City, I had exceeded their 120 kms (IIRC) speed limit. It was on the 4 lane NH4 highway towards Chitradurga with sparse traffic. I was immediately called by the Zoom rep and cautioned and I took care not to exceed the limit throughout those 4 odd days since it implied a fine of Rs 500 which was levied on me. Hence imagine my surprise when I eventually learnt that you are fined only once if you overspeed in a given rental period i.e. whether you have exceeded once or a thousand times is immaterial, you will be fined only Rs 500!

That to me is preposterous, it implies that you are 'purchasing' the right to violate one of the T&C by paying a modest amount.

I dont think its possible for Zoom to regulate drivers of all hues and shades given that driving in India, as a rule, barely rises above the mediocre at best and is lethal at worst. In this case however, they should be prompt in dealing with something as blatant as this
hothatchaway is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 09:55   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
I find it hard to believe that Zoom does a speed monitoring on their cars.
I reckon they must have. Go one notch above 125 kmph and they immediately send off a text and e-mail. Has happened with a friend. I personally feel that their GPS tracking is very effective, considering that they've sent me texts everytime I have driven across state borders.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote