Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2015, 17:24   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,018
Thanked: 520 Times
Default re: Salman Khan gets 5 years in jail for 2002 drunk driving & hit-and-run accident

With due respect to the departed soul the punishment was too harsh. Take away the fact whether he was under influence, this can happen to any one on this forum. Footpath is not the place to sleep, however cruel this statement may sound this is a reality.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 17:26   #17
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,660
Thanked: 7,508 Times
Default re: Salman Khan gets 5 years in jail for 2002 drunk driving & hit-and-run accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeledsoul View Post
A bit harsh I would say considering that he is already into charity and social work. Agreed he was driving under influence (if indeed he was driving), and had no license but is his offense more serious than that star's who was fully aware of the plot and lent logistical support to anti national elements who were plotting against the nation which resulted in a significant loss of life, property and not to forget the scar it left on the nation.

This star helping anti nationals gets a meagre 42 months jail term with repeated furloughs while Salman gets 60?
...
Why compare with a completely unrelated case?
SDP is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 17:27   #18
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,073
Thanked: 3,667 Times
Default re: Salman Khan gets 5 years in jail for 2002 drunk driving & hit-and-run accident

My point is little distracting from the discussion of the punishment. I feel that sleeping on a footpath also amount to negligence. Had there been nobody sleeping on a main road footpath (which ideally is no place to sleep), this accident would have not caused a loss of life. I may trigger another discussion with this statement though.

Edit: I am neither a Salman, nor a mainstream bollywood fan.

Last edited by saket77 : 6th May 2015 at 17:30.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 17:35   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,930
Thanked: 1,390 Times
Default re: Salman Khan gets 5 years in jail for 2002 drunk driving & hit-and-run accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
It is an act of negligence and there was no intent to kill. Culpable, yes. Punishable, yes. Yet I feel sorry for him.
As someone who has been at the receiving end of drunken driving multiple times, I don't. There is no way I can condone drunken driving by diluting it as "no intent to kill". You take the driving seat when you are drunk, you do have an intent to kill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeledsoul View Post
is his offense more serious than that star's who was fully aware of the plot and lent logistical support to anti national elements who were plotting against the nation which resulted in a significant loss of life, property and not to forget the scar it left on the nation.
I also don't like this comparison of criminal X with criminal Y. Our man was convicted of IPC 304, the act specifies the punishment (of which he got only half). The other man was convicted of Arms Act violations, was also sentenced to 5 years (I think the max punishment for his was 7 years as per the act) but got credit for time already spent in jail - which pretty much everyone gets. Different crimes, different punishments in the law book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Footpath is not the place to sleep, however cruel this statement may sound this is a reality.
Footpath is not the place to drive either.

Last edited by binand : 6th May 2015 at 17:36.
binand is offline   (23) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 17:36   #20
BHPian
 
wheeledsoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Kuwait city
Posts: 47
Thanked: 38 Times
Default re: Salman Khan gets 5 years in jail for 2002 drunk driving & hit-and-run accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
With due respect to the departed soul the punishment was too harsh. Take away the fact whether he was under influence, this can happen to any one on this forum. Footpath is not the place to sleep, however cruel this statement may sound this is a reality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
My point is little distracting from the discussion of the punishment. I feel that sleeping on a footpath also amount to negligence. Had there been nobody sleeping on a main road footpath (which ideally is no place to sleep), this accident would have not caused a loss of life. I may trigger another discussion with this statement though.
Agree.
So the govt., Municipality and the bakery owner should be sued too for their negligence, as they let them sleep over there. Sounds as absurd as the judgement I guess.
wheeledsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 17:39   #21
BHPian
 
Dodge_Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vashi
Posts: 467
Thanked: 440 Times
Default re: Salman Khan gets 5 years in jail for 2002 drunk driving & hit-and-run accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
My point is little distracting from the discussion of the punishment. I feel that sleeping on a footpath also amount to negligence. Had there been nobody sleeping on a main road footpath (which ideally is no place to sleep), this accident would have not caused a loss of life. I may trigger another discussion with this statement though.

Edit: I am neither a Salman, nor a mainstream bollywood fan.
Amazing. Tomorrow at a bus stop few people are standing (on footpath) for a bus and a drunk driver comes and crushes them, will people say "standing on footpath" also amounts to "negligence"?

God help us!
Dodge_Viper is offline   (15) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 17:41   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,018
Thanked: 520 Times
Default re: Salman Khan gets 5 years in jail for 2002 drunk driving & hit-and-run accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post



Footpath is not the place to drive either.
What if God forbid your car's front tyre busts and your car ploughs in to the footpath?
So from now on all accidents should be treated as culpable homicides ? Let us be a little real here. Do you think if the person who did this was not Salman he would have got such a harsh punishment? Can you point out some similar cases which got 5 year punishment in jail?

Last edited by poloman : 6th May 2015 at 17:44.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 17:43   #23
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,073
Thanked: 3,667 Times
Default re: Salman Khan gets 5 years in jail for 2002 drunk driving & hit-and-run accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Amazing. Tomorrow at a bus stop few people are standing (on footpath) for a bus and a drunk driver comes and crushes them, will people say "standing on footpath" also amounts to "negligence"?

God help us!
Analogies! They are fantastic.

With no intent to take the side of the actor, he deserves punishment for what he did and more so because of being under the influence of alcohol. But looks like it is okay to sleep on footpaths according to you. And equating with people standing to catch a bus!

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 17:44   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,759
Thanked: 1,534 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
With due respect to the departed soul the punishment was too harsh. Take away the fact whether he was under influence, this can happen to any one on this forum. Footpath is not the place to sleep, however cruel this statement may sound this is a reality.
It is not a place to drive your car either.
5 years in prison is too small a price to pay for sniffing out a few lives.
Why just 5, he should be behind bars for the rest of his life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Analogies! They are fantastic.

With no intent to take the side of the actor, he deserves punishment for what he did and more so because of being under the influence of alcohol. But looks like it is okay to sleep on footpaths according to you. And equating with people standing to catch a bus!

Regards.
Off course it is not ok to sleep on a footpath.
But no body sleeps on a footpath out of choice.
The victims were there because they probably had no other option.

And yes, one can get run over while standing on a footpath; then people will say, why was the person stationary and not walking, as foot paths are meant for walking, and not waiting.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th May 2015 at 18:05. Reason: Back to back post. Please follow board rules.
akshay4587 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 17:52   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
rr_zen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,710
Thanked: 258 Times
Default re: Salman Khan gets 5 years in jail for 2002 drunk driving & hit-and-run accident

While there can be a wide spectrum of view points here, the fundamental issue here is driving under influence of alcohol. To me, that says it all. Sleeping on the footpath may not be the right thing to do but is not such a heinous crime as DUI. And it is sad that it has taken more than a decade for the verdict to be out.
rr_zen is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 17:54   #26
BHPian
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 408
Thanked: 220 Times
Default re: Salman Khan gets 5 years in jail for 2002 drunk driving & hit-and-run accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Analogies! They are fantastic.

With no intent to take the side of the actor, he deserves punishment for what he did and more so because of being under the influence of alcohol. But looks like it is okay to sleep on footpaths according to you. And equating with people standing to catch a bus!

Regards.

Sirjee, kabhi aao Mumbai! There's no other way of saying it. People flock to Mumbai on a whim and a prayer. They have no way of arranging accommodation. Neither monetary, nor otherwise. What do you expect them to do?



Justice has been delayed, but the decision is correct.


Cheers!
Cartman
Cartman is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 17:55   #27
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,073
Thanked: 3,667 Times
Default re: Salman Khan gets 5 years in jail for 2002 drunk driving & hit-and-run accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Off course it is not ok to sleep on a footpath.
But no body sleeps on a footpath out of choice.
The victims were there because they probably had no other option.

And yes, one can get run over while standing on a footpath; then people will say, why was the person stationary and not walking, as foot paths are meant for walking, and not waiting.
I knew I was stirring a debate here.
Please no analogies. Lets talk fact & what actually happened.

Agree to your point that victims might not have other places to sleep; but rather than choosing a main road footpath, a better & safer place is footpath on the by-lanes. Sure Mumbai has no shortages of narrow by-lanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
Sirjee, kabhi aao Mumbai! There's no other way of saying it. People flock to Mumbai on a whim and a prayer. They have no way of arranging accommodation. Neither monetary, nor otherwise. What do you expect them to do?
Justice has been delayed, but the decision is correct.
Cheers!
Cartman
Thanks for the invite. Though have spent a good amount of time in Mumbai. I am not totally alien to the place.
I do not question the judgment. 5 years, IMO is not at all a harsh punishment. My point is if one has to sleep on a footpath, they should choose by-lanes. That's it.

Regards.

Last edited by saket77 : 6th May 2015 at 18:00.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 17:59   #28
BHPian
 
Dodge_Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vashi
Posts: 467
Thanked: 440 Times
Default re: Salman Khan gets 5 years in jail for 2002 drunk driving & hit-and-run accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
but rather than choosing a main road footpath, a better & safer place is footpath on the by-lanes. Sure Mumbai has no shortages of narrow by-lanes.

Regards.
Buddy, , what difference it makes? A car can't enter by-lanes?
Dodge_Viper is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 17:59   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,930
Thanked: 1,390 Times
Default re: Salman Khan gets 5 years in jail for 2002 drunk driving & hit-and-run accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
What if God forbid your car's front tyre busts and your car ploughs in to the footpath?
So from now on all accidents should be treated as culpable homicides ? Let us be a little real here. Do you think if the person who did this was not Salman he would have got such a harsh punishment? Can you point out some similar cases which got 5 year punishment in jail?
The charge of culpable homicide not amounting to murder was tagged on after he was detected to be DUI. And yes, I do think DUI accidents resulting in fatalities do deserve that charge.

And I don't think the punishment is harsh; on the contrary it is positively lenient (he got only half of the prescribed maximum punishment). I don't want to opine on whether his celebrity status affected the judge's judgment - in other cases the point has been made that celebrities have it easy under the justice system of India.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 18:01   #30
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,073
Thanked: 3,667 Times
Default re: Salman Khan gets 5 years in jail for 2002 drunk driving & hit-and-run accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Buddy, , what difference it makes? A car can't enter by-lanes?
Yup; they do. But speeds are generally slower on narrow roads and number of cars entering by-lanes at night is very less.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JLR India PR disaster! Salman Khan tweets his frustration over Range Rover breakdown sarthakgupta The Indian Car Scene 125 17th July 2017 16:10
Salman Khan to be Suzuki Motorcycles' 1st Brand Ambassador! GTO Motorbikes 16 28th April 2012 10:02
Sanjeev Nanda found guilty in BMW hit and run case - Jail Term Reduced spadival Shifting gears 10 26th July 2009 21:06
4 killed in Bangalore hit-and-run case BenjiRoss Street Experiences 58 28th February 2009 21:15
Another Salman Khan accident case?? karthik247 The Indian Car Scene 4 11th February 2006 11:00


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks