Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2015, 20:45   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,466
Thanked: 692 Times
Default re: Woman throws brick at traffic cop's motorcycle. Cop throws brick at woman. Cop sacked

Dont understand the support to the Cop here. The lady needs to be penalised and may be she has been. She hurls a brick at his motorcycle not him. The cop throws it on her. He is unfit as a human being too (just like the lady). Two extreme positions by people !
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 21:28   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
dark.knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: India
Posts: 1,077
Thanked: 2,816 Times
Default re: Woman throws brick at traffic cop's motorcycle. Cop throws brick at woman. Cop sacked

I'll blame the cop this time, and before I'm asked why I'll try to elaborate my view further. Police, specially traffic-police should be given special training on how to handle offenders either by talking or through action. They should have knack of talking with respect and booking the citizen according to the law broken, of course they should not frame false charges either as that will lead to complete loss of trust.

Now I'm not at all sure what happened in the above case as it's the cop's word against the lady's, but I'm sure of what the cop could've done. He could've let the lady escape, noted the regn number down & sent a fine via the government, or he could've taken out the vehicle key in anticipation of attempt to escape. As per the lady's view he wasn't willing to issue a challan, if that's the case then its surely his fault. Eitherway if the cop had handled the situation in a cool manner perhaps neither would've been affected. Why not just send the challan home by letting her escape?

I'm not supporting the lady, I'm just saying that cops should be more mature in every situation, they are used to such high pressure situations. Hurling of an object at a citizen of India by the police without any immediate danger to their own life is in my opinion an attempt to murder. A brick is very heavy and capable of creating damage when used as a weapon. Surely this is an extreme retaliation by the cop. If there is video proof of the woman hurling a brick at his bike, and escaping afterwards they could've merely rounded her up back at her home after she calmed down & pressed more aggressive charges. Why the obsession to clamp her down on the spot? Officers must be given training on physically restraining any aggressive citizen with minimal harm (like wrist lock or something), instead this officer chose to respond in a dangerously juvenile manner.

Since the cop hasn't given his view yet I'm assuming whatever the lady said to be atleast partially true and hence my above opinion. Fact remains that both are equally at fault and for a very small, irrelevant reason. They both could've had a far better day had either she paid up or he just let her escape temporarily.

In other news a Delhi Sub-Inspectors Santro today has mowed down 3 people hence taking their lives. The driver is said to be the Sub Inspector himself. The reason is said to be over-speeding and loss of control due to being sleepy (NEVER drive without a good nights sleep)

Source : http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/d.../1/437635.html

Last edited by dark.knight : 12th May 2015 at 21:31.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 21:44   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
schakravarthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: KA 09 / KA 02
Posts: 1,305
Thanked: 3,706 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post

In other news a Delhi Sub-Inspectors Santro today has mowed down 3 people hence taking their lives. The driver is said to be the Sub Inspector himself. The reason is said to be over-speeding and loss of control due to being sleepy (NEVER drive without a good nights sleep)
* OT *

The article says, " six sanitation workers were cleaning the road "

Are the roads well lit? Are the workers provided with reflective clothing? I'm quite unfamiliar with the situation over there. The absence of any or both is certainly a recipe for disaster!
schakravarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 21:50   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,016
Thanked: 646 Times
Default re: Woman throws brick at traffic cop's motorcycle. Cop throws brick at woman. Cop sacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Dont understand the support to the Cop here. The lady needs to be penalised and may be she has been. She hurls a brick at his motorcycle not him. The cop throws it on her. He is unfit as a human being too (just like the lady). Two extreme positions by people !
When the dear lady escalated the issue by resorting to physical violence, why do you expect the cop to remain a mute spectator?

Regarding the point that the lady threw the brick at the bike and the cop threw it at her, well, that's typically how these things escalate no? Its foolish to think that the cop will only imitate her exact actions. In the heat of the moment, he retaliated in the way he did, its obviously not right, but that's what he did.

Ideally, he should have arrested her for breaking the law and assaulting a police man, but temper makes people behave irrationally.
Lalvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 00:20   #35
BHPian
 
Engine_Roars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 185
Thanked: 363 Times
Default re: Woman throws brick at traffic cop's motorcycle. Cop throws brick at woman. Cop sacked

We Indians tend to overdo things. Either we disrespect women or we give them unfair advantages just because they are "WOMEN". Cop did wrong by throwing a brick and he was aptly penalized, however that woman too was wrong at so many levels. The video does not show COP asking for the bribe, but it does show that it was the woman who threw stone first. However, no action has been taken against the woman yet(Not sure though, if anybody has any information on it, my bad). Media & we the people have already decided that it was COP's fault, no one is even talking about why would/should a woman get violent in such a petty scenario?
Engine_Roars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 00:31   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
VW2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,414
Thanked: 1,680 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default re: Woman throws brick at traffic cop's motorcycle. Cop throws brick at woman. Cop sacked

Quote:
When the dear lady escalated the issue by resorting to physical violence, why do you expect the cop to remain a mute spectator?
Sorry but violence against violence is not an answer. He is taught to react to such situations. He is there to protect the public and that includes that lady. Even if he is getting hit with a brick, he is suppose to restrain her and stop her from causing more harm to herself and others.

There is no excuse in my book for hitting a women. Even if she is Mary Kom outside the ring you have to show restraint and manage the situation. But thats just me.

@Lalvaz - Heat of the moment is not an excuse. You think you will hit your mom or wife at the heat o the moment?

Hitting anyone physically is cowardly again in my book.

If the police was trained to manage situation then thats a fault of the entire police department. The lady is crazy to put three kids life in danger by 1) riding with two kids, 2) no helmet(kids), got into a fight with two kids on the side, put the kids life in danger. Thats not a mother, thats a crazy lady.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 07:58   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
schakravarthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: KA 09 / KA 02
Posts: 1,305
Thanked: 3,706 Times
Default

On a lighter note,
The article says that the woman was returning from a parent-teacher meeting. Looking back at my own PTMs and the subsequent livid state in which my mom would exit these sessions, the lady's mood may probably be explained, no? He He.
schakravarthy is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 11:11   #38
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 812
Thanked: 256 Times
Default re: Woman throws brick at traffic cop's motorcycle. Cop throws brick at woman. Cop sacked

Punishment seems to be too harsh on the cop. And the lady should be punished according to the provisions of law.

Gender discrimination the other way round.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 11:37   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
sourabhzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GURGAON
Posts: 1,518
Thanked: 1,257 Times
Default re: Woman throws brick at traffic cop's motorcycle. Cop throws brick at woman. Cop sacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Punishment seems to be too harsh on the cop. And the lady should be punished according to the provisions of law.

Gender discrimination the other way round.
I don't think so. Cops behave like they have full authority to do whatever they want. They need to work as per provisions laid by the law and not by their whims and fancies. This shall induce some sensibilities in policemen in Delhi.

With respect to gender discrimination, I think the action would have been similar if the cop in question was a female constable. However, it might be different scenario if it was a male rider.
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 12:15   #40
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 257
Thanked: 280 Times
Default re: Woman throws brick at traffic cop's motorcycle. Cop throws brick at woman. Cop sacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Punishment seems to be too harsh on the cop. And the lady should be punished according to the provisions of law.

Gender discrimination the other way round.
I disagree. The policeman needs to show gender sensitivity. It's absolutely improper to use physical violence against women, when they are not threatening your life. This is what is expected, and there are constitutional provisions that protect women in this regard.

The issue of traffic & other violations by the lady is a different matter, and the police should take action and deal with that separately. But that is no excuse for the cop's behaviour.
reverse_gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 12:46   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,817
Thanked: 3,024 Times
Default re: Woman throws brick at traffic cop's motorcycle. Cop throws brick at woman. Cop sacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
On a lighter note,
The article says that the woman was returning from a parent-teacher meeting. Looking back at my own PTMs and the subsequent livid state in which my mom would exit these sessions, the lady's mood may probably be explained, no? He He.
If she keeps up her driving habits, she may not have too many of those left to attend in the future.
Chetan_Rao is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 12:57   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vizag
Posts: 1,907
Thanked: 1,121 Times
Default re: Woman throws brick at traffic cop's motorcycle. Cop throws brick at woman. Cop sacked

Surprising to see people supporting this arrogant lady. She threw a brick at the bike and not the cop. Wow! So, is it ok to throw a brick at a cop's bike? And that too, AFTER you break the law. What kind of person first breaks traffic rules, THEN gets into argument with cop who stops her and THEN throws a brick at his bike. Cop hit back. Well, what do you expect a cop to do when you throw a brick at his bike? Hand you a bouquet? I ask the posters here what would they do if they were cop? Turn the other cheek? It is very easy to comment the other way when you are not holding that post in sweltering sun amid acrid fumes and with superiors' and politicians' interference thrown in. By supporting that lady, we are promoting hooliganism. This lady looks like a first-rate hooligan.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 13:57   #43
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 257
Thanked: 280 Times
Default re: Woman throws brick at traffic cop's motorcycle. Cop throws brick at woman. Cop sacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Surprising to see people supporting this arrogant lady. She threw a brick at the bike and not the cop. Wow! So, is it ok to throw a brick at a cop's bike? And that too, AFTER you break the law. What kind of person first breaks traffic rules, THEN gets into argument with cop who stops her and THEN throws a brick at his bike. Cop hit back. Well, what do you expect a cop to do when you throw a brick at his bike? Hand you a bouquet? I ask the posters here what would they do if they were cop? Turn the other cheek? It is very easy to comment the other way when you are not holding that post in sweltering sun amid acrid fumes and with superiors' and politicians' interference thrown in. By supporting that lady, we are promoting hooliganism. This lady looks like a first-rate hooligan.
Totally ridiculous argument. I was very happy to read the balanced views on this thread last couple of days, where the misdemeanours committed by the lady concerned were equally highlighted, while the rest of the media goes on ranting about the cop's behaviour only. I entirely support the view that citizens have to behave and follow rules or be disciplined, and in this case the lady concerned should be made to face the consequences of her actions.

But to use this as a justification for cops to throw bricks at women is to stretch things beyond the bounds of civilian society. I am sorry, as long as the cops are allowed to assume this as an acceptable form of behaviour, we can forget about having any law and order in this country. If cops are not properly trained to handle situations where the offenders get abrasive and violent, they should not be allowed on the streets.
reverse_gear is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 14:01   #44
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,582
Thanked: 3,244 Times
Default re: Woman throws brick at traffic cop's motorcycle. Cop throws brick at woman. Cop sacked

Pause to ponder:
This is what their training should cover - how to stay calm and de-escalate and apprehend offenders, not become unruly himself.

If every cop retaliated in every fracas like that, we would have thousands of deaths by cops in India every year.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 14:07   #45
BHPian
 
SchumiFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 849
Thanked: 696 Times
Default re: Woman throws brick at traffic cop's motorcycle. Cop throws brick at woman. Cop sacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
I entirely support the view that citizens have to behave and follow rules or be disciplined, and in this case the lady concerned should be made to face the consequences of her actions.

But to use this as a justification for cops to throw bricks at women is to stretch things beyond the bounds of civilian society. I am sorry, as long as the cops are allowed to assume this as an acceptable form of behaviour, we can forget about having any law and order in this country. If cops are not properly trained to handle situations where the offenders get abrasive and violent, they should not be allowed on the streets.
The cop has been sacked already (which is too much IMO, suspension would have been OK along with a course of anger management). One must understand that the police force is stretched thin to support a vast country like ours. This is not to give excuse for his behavior but the trial by media seems to have gone too far.

If we assume every policeman who beats a citizen has to be sacked, then I guess we can sack almost the entire force. Most times when accused are caught, I believe they are thrashed if required to get info out of them.

In this case, she might not be an accused yet, but throwing a brick on a police vehicle is not exactly a work of a law-abiding citizen even discounting the fact that she had broken two before this episode.

Just out of curiosity, if the woman had thrown a brick towards the windshield of the car in which he was sitting, does it still not amount to attacking a policeman? Bike or not, she has to be tried for attacking a policeman in addition to the other law breaking actions she has done in this case.

Last edited by SchumiFan : 13th May 2015 at 14:08.
SchumiFan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Woman stops car to save ducks. Bike hits car, woman found guilty vasoo The International Automotive Scene 14 15th July 2014 17:37
Renault executives sacked for "spying"--> cleared by French cops, company apologises Scorcher The International Automotive Scene 5 16th October 2012 09:18
If life throws an egg at you... DRC Shifting gears 19 16th April 2012 17:51
Attacked with a BRICK at Traffic Signal !!! sumathindra Street Experiences 25 19th January 2011 00:03
Traffic Cop's ENCOUNTER by me finally :-) sforsarang Street Experiences 25 30th July 2007 20:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks