Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 14th May 2015, 14:57   #91
BHPian

Default re: Woman throws brick at traffic cop's motorcycle. Cop throws brick at woman. Cop sacked

Its a classic case where the general perception about our poor police wallahs and prejudice played against the traffic cop. Not defending the policeman's act but sometimes in self defense killing the attacker becomes justified so if that young lady instigated a senior (by age) police fellow his actions are those of human behavior.
Gender bias has now been too much in country. Bloody hypocrisy. The female fraternity asks for equality only where the benefit is theirs else special considerations are always welcome.
Anyways lets see what course of law follows for the self-portrayed victim offender.
I hope the cop is reinstated on duty soon.
Honda Monk is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 15:39   #92
BHPian

Default re: Woman throws brick at traffic cop's motorcycle. Cop throws brick at woman. Cop sacked

If the Police officer can't tolerate one woman, how will he deal with male goons? This was a test for the Policeman in which he has failed miserably. Even if the woman is at fault, this is not the way to deal with her. There are different ways to neutralize a threat & throwing a brick is certainly not one of them and that too at women.
CarNerd is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 16:47   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
If the Police officer can't tolerate one woman, how will he deal with male goons? This was a test for the Policeman in which he has failed miserably. Even if the woman is at fault, this is not the way to deal with her.
What kind of patronizingly sexist attitude is that? A cop on duty was attacked. That much is fact.

His reaction was over-the-top, sure, and he got penalised for it. The guy has been dismissed from service and criminal charges have been charged. That's the extent of the law.

But should he have *not* reacted just because the aggressor was a woman? It's not an exact parallel but would an American cop not used force in a similar situation regardless of the gender of the aggressor?

This attitude I feel is the root cause of a lot of woman's issues in this country. Either we are blatantly oppressive or cloyingly patronizing. Notice the clamour for "women's protection" every time a rape or assault is reported, rather than focusing on women's freedom which is at the root of the issue. Of course safety on our streets is an important concept and the more vulnerable of us deserve that protection. But that's not the core issue and we know it!
noopster is offline   (15) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 18:17   #94
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Woman throws brick at traffic cop's motorcycle. Cop throws brick at woman. Cop sacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Lots of comments support the cop!

If you have ever been unfairly stopped by a cop, you'd understand what he was up to. Cops in India only collect hafta and this cop was looking for easy pickings. He did not expect the lady to fight back. When she refused to quietly pay up, the SOP of the hafta-cop is to ask for "License and Registration" and "confiscate" it, once confiscated, you'll have to run around the police station and possibly the court as the cops now have the upper hand. They'll be very creative and apply every rule against you.
If the cops were fair, I'd have no problem supporting this cop.
Let's talk about this particular case and let's avoid generic statements about the police and how they operate.
This particular cop asking for 'hafta' is what has been claimed by the woman. What makes you so sure that, that is precisely what happened? You seem to be assuming that he asked for a bribe because you believe that 'generally' that's what happens.
Here's my experience: I have been stopped at least 20 times in last 10 odd years by traffic police. Except once, they always had a valid reason to flag my vehicle. Only ONCE, a traffic police has asked for bribe .. that too when I cribbed about how much time would be wasted and hinted at 'settlement'.

Quote:
Here is what counts (according to me):
  • The cop should have tried to defuse the situation.
  • That is precisely what he did. Please listen to the audio.

Quote:
  • He deals with (such) people on a daily basis and should know how to handle this without getting violent
  • I have seen people running away from traffic-cops. But people throwing bricks at traffic police... I don't believe that's such a common scenario that the traffic police should know how to react.
    Please note that there is a difference between "policeman" and "Traffic policeman"

Quote:
  • I doubt that the lady created a life-threatening or dangerous situation for others. He could have simply noted the registration number.

• Jumping a signal causes accidents and is definitely a life-threatening and dangerous situation. SS-Traveller has already shared how sending a challan at the registered address is a futile exercise in Delhi. Please do read his post again.

Quote:
  • Cops and public officials have the entire machinery working in their favor to do their job. Instead, that machinery is misused. This requires a stringent deterrent - the cop should be booked for attempted murder and made an example of.
  • OK, help me understand this better. The lady throws a brick first. The cop also throws a brick. But its the cop who should be booked for 'attempted murder' right?

Quote:
  • The lady did not hurt the cop and the risk to the cop was minimal, retaliating the way he did, proves he is unfit for the job.
A traffic policeman's job is to ensure smooth traffic flow and to stop people who do not follow traffic rules and have no regard for other's as well as their own safety. This particular policeman was doing his job just fine till someone picked up a fight and threw a brick at him. Quite an unusual scenario and he didn't react appropriately. That makes him unfit for the job? I doubt that.

Last edited by SDP : 14th May 2015 at 18:20.
SDP is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 20:54   #95
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Woman throws brick at traffic cop's motorcycle. Cop throws brick at woman. Cop sacked

And now , challans fall to 4000 levels as cops jittery :

Quote:
Call it the effect of the incident involving a traffic cop and a woman he was challaning, traffic challans have taken a deep plunge in the past two days—from a daily average of 13,000 to 4,000. On Tuesday and Wednesday, 7,900 challans were recorded.

Sources say traffic inspectors have been instructed to avoid flagging down drivers, especially women, and instead send the challans to their addresses. Senior officers have asked the challaning officers to operate in a group of three to four, in which at least one will record the process on a video camera.
Source

Last edited by sdp1975 : 14th May 2015 at 20:56.
sdp1975 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 21:36   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Something new is happening on the roads of Delhi, noticed today.

Name:  Traffic management.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  305.5 KB

Is Delhi Traffic Police​ now outsourcing its work?

Spotted these gentlemen in kurta-pyjamas and high-visibility belts, with white batons in hand, at multiple places. They appear to have no clue about managing traffic, but are trying to do their best. One jumped in front of the auto-rickshaw at huge risk to himself (seen in the pic) because it crossed the stop line. Another stood in the middle of the high speed lane on Rohtak Road, waving traffic trough while obstructing the lane and putting himself in grave danger. A couple of them stood and watched as mute spectators as a car took an illegal U-turn on Ring Road.

There were uniformed traffic constables posted along with these gents too, but they appeared least interested in regulating traffic or catching hold of violators. Perhaps this has something to do with some of them being hit with stones by 'concerned' citizens extracting revenge for the brick-throwing incident. Special Commissioner (Traffic) Mr. Muktesh Chander is trying to pacify citizens by defending his men on Facebook as well as through the newspapers. Here's an article from the Hindustan Times Delhi edition today.

Name:  Capture1.JPG
Views: 563
Size:  117.1 KB

Delhi Traffic Police seem to have a long and uphill task on their hands in trying to restore Delhi citizens' faith and confidence in them. Till they manage to do that, I dread to think of the hooliganism and free-for-all that will rule on Delhi's roads.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 21:41   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

Is Delhi Traffic Police​ now outsourcing its work?

Spotted these gentlemen in kurta-pyjamas and high-visibility belts, with white batons in hand, at multiple places. They appear to have no clue about managing traffic, but are trying to do their best.

Looks like They are following gurgaon best practices - police just do challans and leave the administration to home guards / private guards.

And now the latest is that the Delhi CM (never one to waste an opportunity to lampoon Delhi police) has jumped in the fray praising that woman for her bravery as a role model. What message does that send out? No one cares to stop and think. Trust politicians (and Arnab Goswami) to come in and make any mess worse, rather than support a sensible discussion.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 22:00   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Looks like They are following gurgaon best practices - police just do challans and leave the administration to home guards / private guards.
These appeared more like volunteers, and not home guards or private guards as seen in Gurgaon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
And now the latest is that the Delhi CM... ...praising that woman for her bravery as a role model.
Had mentioned it earlier, and my opinion of it...
Quote:
We are proud of you. Delhi needs citizens like you. So says Delhi's Chief Minister to the lady who bricked no nonsense. She will never be penalized for the traffic violations - ever. The next time she's stopped for a traffic violation, she's just got to show the cops a pic of an epic brick and the CM's phone number saved on her mobile. Voilą, with the CM batting for her, such brick-batting incidents won't happen again.

Citizens like me are not proud of sharing the roads and the city of Delhi with citizens like these.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 22:06   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Was there any religious/spiritual event nearby? These guys can be volunteer members who were out to facilitate sooth movement of traffic.
avingodb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 22:08   #100
BHPian

Question Re: Woman throws brick at traffic cop's motorcycle. Cop throws brick at woman. Cop sacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Let's talk about this particular case and let's avoid generic statements about the police and how they operate...

A traffic policeman's job is to ensure smooth traffic flow and to stop people who do not follow traffic rules and have no regard for other's as well as their own safety. This particular policeman was doing his job just fine till someone picked up a fight and threw a brick at him. Quite an unusual scenario and he didn't react appropriately. That makes him unfit for the job? I doubt that.
All I can say is - YMMV

The establishment in the US has finally accepted that the police treat African-Americans unfairly (to put it mildly), and this is attributed largely to the use of technology in showing others how the police act when they encounter (!) an African-American.

Cartoon Credits:
May 13 2015 : Mirror (Bangalore)

CORNERED
MORPARIA
mvadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 22:14   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
Was there any religious/spiritual event nearby? These guys can be volunteer members who were out to facilitate sooth movement of traffic.
None that I noticed. And they were spread out over quite a large zone, from the Outer Ring Road near Peeragarhi Chowk (where I noticed them first), along the Rohtak Road, and along the Ring Road up to the Patel Road T-junction.

Edit: This bit of news is interesting. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...m_campaign=TOI

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 14th May 2015 at 22:22.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 23:19   #102
BHPian

Quote:
None that I noticed. And they were spread out over quite a large zone, from the Outer Ring Road near Peeragarhi Chowk (where I noticed them first), along the Rohtak Road, and along the Ring Road up to the Patel Road T-junction.

Edit: This bit of news is interesting. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...m_campaign=TOI
I would want action also to be taken on the guy who took the video and also claimed that Police demanded bribe (if indeed the policeman didn't ask for a bribe and was hit three times).

This is heights of manipulation and the honorable CM would have been well advised not to take sides until the whole truth came out.

He could asked for an enquiry into the matter instead he went with the popular opinion.
SchumiFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2015, 00:15   #103
Senior - BHPian

NEWS channels or Brand Adverts, almost NO ONE would take a stand that can even remotely be labelled as "anti-women".

Also they wouldn't care either, as long as the sensationalism keeps the money flowing, they're meeting their 'targets'.

Bottom Line : If we want independent, fair & neutral media, we'll have to PAY for it!

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 15th May 2015 at 00:16.
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2015, 04:35   #104
BHPian

When the British introduced the policing system in India they made sure that they introduced a harsh, oppressive system on the lines of the Irish Constabulary Forces and not the relatively docile and welcoming London Metropolitan Police. The sad thing is that post independence we have not been able to change this. There have been countless efforts to bring in the Police reforms since the times of Julio Rebeiro but their fate would leave many of us in fits of despair and laughter at the same time!
This incident is not a one off but happens daily in some or the other part of our country! I dont say that only the police is at fault but with time their behaviour has started deriving hostility from the masses as well! This is an explosive situation which needs to be dealt with in a stead fast manner for the unity, integrity and internal peace of our great nation!
Jai Hind!
Mcroadster is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2015, 07:06   #105
BHPian

Default Re: Lady & Traffic cop throws bricks at each other. Cop sacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Please watch the video: The woman threw a brick at the bike (NOT the cop). The cop retaliated by..... the law and action should be taken against both, not just the cop.

Also, from what I understood, she did not refuse to pay the fine - she had asked for a receipt and when the cop refused & insisted on a bribe is when things got out of hand.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote