Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 23rd May 2015, 17:02   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Not using side mirrors & indicators when shifting lanes = a trivial mistake? Think aga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Thanks for sharing that story, loved the cartoons!

If I might add something, its not only about using side mirrors and indicators when shifting lanes. In most western countries you are taught this:

- look in your mirror
- look over your shoulder
- turn on your indicator

There is a certain dead space that your mirror doesn't cover, so you actually turn your head in that direction,which is roughly over your shoulder.

Fail to do so on a western driving test and you will have flunked the test!

Jeroen
True, but in India, by the time you look back ahead you may have hit something. The traffic is so mad that all you can afford is your peripheral vision to check your six in the mirrors.
fighterace is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2015, 17:08   #32
BHPian

Default Re: Not using side mirrors & indicators when shifting lanes = a trivial mistake? Think aga

Is this thread actually relevant. How many drivers/riders use indicators and mirrors while changing lanes. At least in Kolkata this thread is totally redundant. Just to prove this, drive around for an hour in the city and count how many times you actually see someone indicating before changing lanes. Only the expensive car drivers, when stuck behind some non-moving lane flicks the indicator switch before crawling out of the lane and that is only because he is afraid of being swiped himself.

Actually, the rule is if you a driving a heavy built vehicle you have a licence to change lanes at will because the other guy will stop to accommodate you. If you drive a delicate car the rule is to be prepared at any instance for evasive action when these road hogs swerve on your lane at any moment.

Indicators? Oh those are for making turns and that too is optional.
techiecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2015, 19:03   #33
BHPian

Nicely explained Tamarind.
And cheers to you assisting fellow Road users. Nobody usually bothers to stop & help.

With regards to the post, there are many out there who do not even mind using them at all!
They feel the mirrors are less stylish on their 2 wheelers. I being a frequent user of both mirrors still find it difficult to notice some morons who come from behind in a zig zag fashion.
After all, it finally on to us to keep an extra alert on ourselves so we are not hit!
unni246 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2015, 20:29   #34
BHPian

Excellent point and innovatively substantiated!!

Many riders and drivers do not care to look in their rear view mirrors before changing lanes. Sometimes, when the tempers get better of me (when they swerve right onto my path making me apply brakes suddenly), the reply I get from them morons is this - " YOU have to look in front and drive. Do you EXPECT ME to look back and change lanes?? - I guess people are 'naive' (read Extremely Stupid) when it comes to this.

Even while riding a bike, when the lateral field of view for the rider is un-obstructed, it is a bit 'chancy' to change lanes even after glancing at the mirrors. Such is the talent of our budding racers on bikes (and some cars). Drivers need to give a cursory head tilt to ensure there aren't any other vehicles in the blind zone (hopefully not the kind that the lorry driver did!)
r.praveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2015, 13:53   #35
BHPian

Angry Re: Not using side mirrors & indicators when shifting lanes = a trivial mistake? Think aga

Wish everyone had presentation skills like you, Tamarind! Nice and effectively put across!

Here are some of my observations:

Honk, even if annoys the rider in front (especially 2-wheelers riders with full face helmets whose hearing and vision is obstructed by the helmet). Much cheaper than damage or injury.

Anticipate and expect the most dangerous (stupid) move by the 2-wheeler rider in front. He expects you to know that he is stupid. Note the use of gender specific language - males are even more stupid than females because of the testosterone soaked brain.

Vehicles on your left side are 'superior' - because you are on the right and cannot see exactly what the vehicle on the left is doing to cut in, you are expected to give way NOT the other way around!

Might is right.

On rear view mirrors:
1. Mirrors on Marutis are of low quality - they have a small field of view and I dont know about the high end Marutis, but I could not get a RV mirror with a night mode for the A-star (though apparently it is available according to some posts on TBHP). I have now installed a much better clip on mirror and I can easily see even the left rear on my RV mirror. [It does help to have the left ORVM too].

2. Glancing behind to scan the blind spot is also dangerous, as many have pointed out, the situation ahead can change drastically in the instant your attention is diverted from the front.

And of course the thread right here on TBHP (Real use of Left Side Rear View Mirror !!)discusses LHS ORVMs.

3. Mirror(s) on two-wheelers are just there to satisfy mandatory legal requirements. The change in position of the eyes relative to the mirrors is much larger, depending on how your seating position shifts and this makes it almost impossible to have a good picture of what is behind you and besides you, even if you are a safe rider. There are many innovative mirrors 'available' but I have not been able to find one locally (even online).

Riderscan

or the mirrors you stick on helmets (www.bugeyes.com)

or the Reevu with its complicated internal optics

The view and rear-view from inside the helmet

Last edited by mvadg : 24th May 2015 at 13:54.
mvadg is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2015, 14:44   #36
BANNED

Hey tamarind!
A very good narration with proper pictorial representation. It was totally engaging to read. A very valuable contribution my friend. If this can get people to mind their road discipline, a lot of mishaps can be avoided. This article of yours will definitely add value to peoples lives.

Thanks a ton buddy
BIKE MANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2015, 15:02   #37

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 20th July 2015 at 11:18. Reason: goos > good
nidheesh is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 24th May 2015, 23:00   #38
Senior - BHPian

Nice Thread.
I was also thinking on the same lines as we have two newly opened Petrol pumps in Goa which are on the most popular beach belt. They were open after great difficulties, politics, etc. but while opening they did a small mistake which IMHO is a big one. I have put it in a drawing which I am attaching with this post.

Now on a daily basis some 2-wheeler (especially tourist) applies sudden brakes seeing the first petrol pump which is on the other side of the road not realising that there is another one about 300 mts away on his side of the road (and how could anyone do that without proper signboard indicating next Petrol pump) and as this is a 2 lane road, the 4-wheeler behind the 2-wheeler also applies the brakes but the next vehicle behind it (be it a 2-wheeler or 4-wheeler) doesn't do the same always and ends up rear-ending the poor 4-wheeler. Then the usual fight/argument takes place and all this while the "root cause" 2-wheeler goes to the petrol pump without caring the least.
A simple solution is to put speed breakers but till now they have not come up, so lets wait. I am sure this happens all over India, isn't it.

I have personally witnessed atleast 5-6 sudden braking, tyre screeching, or rear ending incidents on both the sides of the Petrol Pumps, which is obvious.
Attached Thumbnails
Not using side mirrors & indicators when shifting lanes = a trivial mistake? Think again!-tbhp.png  

Last edited by carwatcher : 24th May 2015 at 23:03.
carwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2015, 23:40   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterace View Post
True, but in India, by the time you look back ahead you may have hit something. The traffic is so mad that all you can afford is your peripheral vision to check your six in the mirrors.
Not true. I do it each time I change a lane in India just like I have done abroad.
It takes a mili second and one should never be following the vehicle in front that closely as to hit it in that fraction of a second. It is no different than glancing at your co passengers or the speedometer. You don't turn your head all the way back. You simply glance just behind your shoulder.
Lobogris is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2015, 10:51   #40
Senior - BHPian

There are enough fools who don't believe in mirrors in Hyderabad. So many times I have saved umpteen morons who drift and zigzag left and right at a whim, without even bothering if there is a 2 ton SUV a foot behind their fenders. The only saving grace is the dual tone horns which I have, and use liberally to warn them of my presence.
The trick to driving in Hyderabad is to honk every time one overtakes, passes by or crosses any traffic even if it a two legged species. The honks alone warn these people into moving away, else they are not bothered.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2015, 10:57   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
Nowadays most two wheelers rely on other road users not hitting them rather than making a conscious decision to avoid accidents themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
Another thing I don't understand is why they insist on driving in the rightmost lane?!
Personally when i drive my scooter on the bypass or highways i prefer the left most lane ~2 feet away from the median and drive with constant speed. I watch the road like a hawk for any glitters in the fear of the purposely placed nails on the road.
(Ofcourse this glittering technique works only for new nails - you cannot make course corrections well in advance for the rusty ones and by the time you find the protruding pointy thing in the road its already close by and i prefer to avoid any sudden movements which might cause panic for the people who are behind me)

And there were my colleagues who want to avoid such strenuous efforts and drive on right most lane. Justification given was that the right most is little safer for them than the middle lane where vehicles can whizz by from both sides !

PS: (I placed the word "purposely placed nails" in the above statement based on several encounters which were business opportunities for the tire mechanics charging exorbitant amounts)

This scene might change if all the bikes & cars come with tubeless tires which then would be a loss for the mechanic who spend his money and time in placing the nails without any expectation/estimation of returns :P
Tamarind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2015, 11:18   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite911 View Post
Its funny how many car manufacturers still sell lower variants of their cars without a Left hand side mirror.

Thanks to the OP who took time to create this sequence, though it looks funny and something to smile about, it also shows the inherent danger of not using these devices correctly.

I am a biker and a car user. I travel from Anna Nagar to Ashok Nagar daily and i have seen countless folks not using their mirrors at all. I have also seen what happens when they do and when they don't.

Hope this serves us as a reminder of how precious each second is and how we need to be alert to do the right thing at the right time.

Trumpet!
trumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2015, 12:12   #43
BHPian

Default Re: Not using side mirrors & indicators when shifting lanes = a trivial mistake? Think again!

Considering our many in our country views OVRM's as something to be treasured and not used properly, it is not strange to see such an incident.
I had once attended a defensive driving course in Australia when I was there a few years back. The one rule that I have always stuck too and still follow it to the dot is to always break to allow other person to join in, as I have been in numerous situations where people just don't care about providing an indication of turning or merging, lost cause I suppose.
Threads like these similar to near misses should always be a pointer to refresh your driving habits just to correct some niggles and laziness creeping in.

Regards,
SVG
Car-tya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2015, 13:04   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterace View Post

I dont think so at all. Nobody does it here. But I have been looking over my shoulders all my life in all vehicle and all traffic I find myself in. So I still check my mirror, look over my shoulder, turn on the indicator, on my bullet in the midst of rush hour Delhi traffic if need be.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2015, 14:12   #45
BHPian

Default Re: Not using side mirrors & indicators when shifting lanes = a trivial mistake? Think again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-tya View Post
The one rule that I have always stuck too and still follow it to the dot is to always break to allow other person to join in, as I have been in numerous situations where people just don't care about providing an indication of turning or merging, lost cause I suppose.
Very much agree to this. But the traffic in India (more so in my city Hyderabad), the moment you allow some one to merge into our lane, the entire convoy of the next 2-3 cars honk as though I have committed a crime as big as a murder! Not only that, they come back by driving parallel to my lane and show their decency! Not one person has the patience or the grace to be empathetic towards other drivers.

Atleast in the scenario described here, I am of the strong opinion that the person driving the 2 wheeler should have been extra careful...

Inquilab28 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote