Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 26th May 2015, 10:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Delhi Gurgaon Expressway: 24 lanes shut, 15 km traffic jam

Was surprised to read 24 lanes. Should be the extra lanes near the toll booth I guess. All over India we can find multiple lanes on a single road that merge, de-merge which leads to traffic mess. I dont doubt their intention but what was the problem actually? Lanes not shut down properly?
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 10:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

From the dash video as well I can no signages. The people were crossing by memory or prior knowledge?
wanderernomad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 11:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I dont doubt their intention but what was the problem actually? Lanes not shut down properly?
This was the problem -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
As soon as the service road and the main carriageway merged, road blocks were placed in about 100-200m to segregate the traffic - those wanting to go to cybercity had to take the left arm and those wanting to proceed further ahead (to gurgaon/manesar/jaipur) had to take the right arm. This was the problem. Huge volume of traffic criss-crossing in that shot space (circled).
If you see the video, all that criss-crossing traffic caused the hold up, after that there was virtually no traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
From the dash video as well I can no signages. The people were crossing by memory or prior knowledge?
From prior knowledge. There were no signs to direct traffic. In the video you can spot many cars jumping sides from between the road blocks to the 'correct' side.

----

Last 2 days have been relatively smooth so far and these road blocks haven't appeared back (thankfully!).
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 11:47   #19
BHPian

When taking an exit, I see a lot of cars taking exit at very last moment - only to choke the exit and cause a jam.

If everyone waited in line everyone would gain. The traffic jam is peoples own creation and has noting to do with car population.

This is very common in Delhi-Gurgaon
Attached Images

aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote