Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 27th June 2012, 18:54   #46
BHPian

Default re: Accidentally filling Petrol in a Diesel car?

@ all experts -- What about opposite? What if some diesel enters a petrol car? How severe would that be?
the.city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 19:58   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.city View Post
@ all experts -- What about opposite? What if some diesel enters a petrol car? How severe would that be?
I have actually done it I once filled up about 15 litres of diesel in a petrol car. Then topped off with petrol after I realised the mistake. So now the tank of 40 litres has 15 litres of diesel and 25 litres of petrol.

Being a carburetted engine, I could drive it to my mechanic about 6km away. But it was not a very pleasant drive. The car was jerking and bucking like mad, but it never stalled.
KiloAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 21:16   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild
Let me give you expert opinion
This thing happens almost every week at my bunk
Since you own a bunk, let me share this with you: here in USA and in other countries as well, the nozzle diameter size is different for Diesel and it does not go into Petrol powered fuel tank at all. Moreover, in USA, mostly there are dedicated diesel dispensers (and I can understand, low diesel vehicles allow you to have one dedicated unit) and the handles are green colored (petrol handles are usually black) so it's very easy to differentiate petrol vs diesel.

Looking at this thread, I presume that we don't we have something similar in India but my question is how hard is it to install different diameter nozzle or different color coding?

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 27th June 2012 at 21:20.
Nitrous Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 21:45   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
Since you own a bunk, let me share this with you: here in USA and in other countries as well, the nozzle diameter size is different for Diesel and it does not go into Petrol powered fuel tank at all. Moreover, in USA, mostly there are dedicated diesel dispensers (and I can understand, low diesel vehicles allow you to have one dedicated unit) and the handles are green colored (petrol handles are usually black) so it's very easy to differentiate petrol vs diesel.

Looking at this thread, I presume that we don't we have something similar in India but my question is how hard is it to install different diameter nozzle or different color coding?
That would not be 100% true. Even here we have different colored handles and clear labels of the type of fuels being dispersed. Nozzle diameter being different might prevent Diesel nozzle entering a Petrol fuel tank, but the reverse would not be true, right? Also, most of US is self-service pumps, so if you fill up with incorrect fuel, you have no one else to blame, but yourself.

This mostly happens due to the carelessness of the driver of the car. Since most cars come in both flavors without any major differentiating factors, it is very easy for the attendants to get confused and the car owners/drivers are busy doing something else (using the cellphone, usually).

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 27th June 2012 at 21:49. Reason: Added Text
PatchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 22:07   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy

That would not be 100% true. Even here we have different colored handles and clear labels of the type of fuels being dispersed. Nozzle diameter being different might prevent Diesel nozzle entering a Petrol fuel tank, but the reverse would not be true, right? Also, most of US is self-service pumps, so if you fill up with incorrect fuel, you have no one else to blame, but yourself.
I know that having different size of nozzle prevents only one type fuel getting into other type and not vice versa. BUT, what's wrong in adopting it even if it saves costlier damages for just one type of fuel powered vehicles. Correct me if I am wrong, but it's more costlier to repair diesel parts if petrol is filled up than the other way. And now with pricing policy, diesel cars are selling in much higher numbers as well. So if this is adopted, at least diesel vehicle owners are protected.
Nitrous Power is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 22:15   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I know that having different size of nozzle prevents only one type fuel getting into other type and not vice versa. BUT, what's wrong in adopting it even if it saves costlier damages for just one type of fuel powered vehicles. Correct me if I am wrong, but it's more costlier to repair diesel parts if petrol is filled up than the other way. And now with pricing policy, diesel cars are selling in much higher numbers as well. So if this is adopted, at least diesel vehicle owners are protected.
In a country plagued with so many bigger and more serious problems, do you think that the govt would be even bothered by this small issue?
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 22:30   #52
BHPian

Quote:
So if this is adopted, at least diesel vehicle owners are protected.
IMHO, human beings believing that they can actually multi-task is the root cause for most problems. Reminds me of a quote I read a long time back - "There is no such thing as fool-proof. Fools are so ingenious, they will find new ways of making mistakes"

All it takes is for the owner/driver to get out of the car and make sure that the right kind of fuel is being filled. Wonder how many owners/drivers will walk off a crowd with the wrong woman on their arms, assuming them to be their wives

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 22:39   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg

In a country plagued with so many bigger and more serious problems, do you think that the govt would be even bothered by this small issue?
Point taken. There are far bigger issues to worry about than this. However, if you think, it's not that hard to get it implemented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy

IMHO, human beings believing that they can actually multi-task is the root cause for most problems. Reminds me of a quote I read a long time back - "There is no such thing as fool-proof. Fools are so ingenious, they will find new ways of making mistakes"

All it takes is for the owner/driver to get out of the car and make sure that the right kind of fuel is being filled. Wonder how many owners/drivers will walk off a crowd with the wrong woman on their arms, assuming them to be their wives
Understood that its sheer laziness on owner/driver's part but hey, if alternative is available then why not?

BTW, Comparing wrong type of fuel to wrong woman takes the cake
Old 27th June 2012, 22:40   #54
Senior - BHPian

The nozzle sizes are different in India also. My Mondeo has a nozzle restrictor plate at the entrance and it allows only the correct nozzle to enter. I discovered this when once during a fuelling stop the attendant tried to use the diesel nozzle assuming my car was a diesel. The nozzle did not enter the restrictor plate. If I remember correctly the international standard diameter for petrol nozzles is 20mm and for diesel nozzles it is 24mm.

That being said I have personal experience with my Swift which will pretty much allow any nozzle to enter irrespective of diameter. The same applies to the Hyundai Verna and the Santro. I know for sure about these vehicles as I have experience with them.

The training normally given to bunk attendants in the west is that only the correct size nozzle should fit the vehicle. The 20mm petrol nozzle can enter the 24mm diesel tank pipe. But it is the attendants duty to ensure the fit is a snug one. So if he uses a 20mm nozzle in a 24 mm hole he should be able to make out that it is the wrong nozzle and hence the fuel.

This only applies to bunks that have attendants. If the car owner/user does it he is responsible for the damage.

Last edited by vikram_d : 27th June 2012 at 22:48.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 22:53   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d
The nozzle sizes are different in India also. My Mondeo has a nozzle restrictor plate at the entrance and it allows only the correct nozzle to enter. I discovered this when once during a fuelling stop the attendant tried to use the diesel nozzle assuming my car was a diesel. The nozzle did not enter the restrictor plate. If I remember correctly the international standard diameter for petrol nozzles is 20mm and for diesel nozzles it is 24mm.
Well, we do have other thread exists for Diesel in Petrol car where users have filled in Diesel instead of Petrol. Now if what you say is correct that nozzle sizes are of different diameter for both the fuel types in India, then the only logical explanation is that the manufacturers are providing One Size Fits All gas tank openings and not different sized diameter for diesel and petrol cars.
Old 27th June 2012, 23:01   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, we do have other thread exists for Diesel in Petrol car where users have filled in Diesel instead of Petrol. Now if what you say is correct that nozzle sizes are of different diameter for both the fuel types in India, then the only logical explanation is that the manufacturers are providing One Size Fits All gas tank openings and not different sized diameter for diesel and petrol cars.
I know about the other thread, but I posted here because this thread was active. In my case the attendant did not fill diesel because the nozzle would not enter. The nozzle diameter is an international standard and not an Indian one. I only posted so that people would know about nozzle sizing and be more careful in the future and as you said in India car manufacturers are providing one size fits all tank openings.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 23:57   #57
Senior - BHPian

Found some more interesting info. Once upon a time nozzle sizes were the same for petrol and diesel. The change over to 20mm petrol nozzle was made when unleaded fuel was introduced. 24mm was for used for leaded petrol and 20mm for unleaded. Omce leaded fuel became obsolete the 24mm size became standard for diesel, which it was anyway in the days of leaded petrol.
vikram_d is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 10:29   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
Never thought that this will happen to my vehicle.

Yesterday, my driver by mistake filled about 1000 bucks of petrol in my Swift Vdi, and drove around 40 kms with it. Unfortunately, the tank didn’t had much diesel before.

In the late evening, when my dad tried to crank the car, it didn’t started. It was then we realized that the driver must have filled petrol instead of diesel.

I know the extent of damage could be huge, and will have deep impact on my pocket. But, can somebody please tell, what should I do in this situation? I have already asked Maruti helpline to come to my place and checkout my vehicle at home itself. What should I ask mechanic to specifically check, after draining out all the petrol?

Really worried… right now! Keeping my fingers crossed.

That is real sad incident. What was your driver thinking or was he a newbie ?

To avoid this mishap, I have pasted a sticker displaying 'Diesel" on the fuel lid itself. Maybe you can try the same to avoid repeating the same in future.

Please post your experience with the car, like how you managed to get it running back again and monetary damages.

All the best!
TaurusAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 10:42   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
That is real sad incident. What was your driver thinking or was he a newbie ?

To avoid this mishap, I have pasted a sticker displaying 'Diesel" on the fuel lid itself. Maybe you can try the same to avoid repeating the same in future.

Please post your experience with the car, like how you managed to get it running back again and monetary damages.

All the best!
Just a thought. Since diesel is heavier than petrol, if the owner now pumps in diesel into his tank, the lighter petrol should rise above the diesel and eventually spill out of the tank. Also since the fuel lines originate from the bottom of the tank, the engine will sip diesel only.
Yes i agree the fuel lines and the pump needs to be checked and cleaned before the car is started.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 10:47   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Just a thought. Since diesel is heavier than petrol, if the owner now pumps in diesel into his tank, the lighter petrol should rise above the diesel and eventually spill out of the tank. Also since the fuel lines originate from the bottom of the tank, the engine will sip diesel only.
Yes i agree the fuel lines and the pump needs to be checked and cleaned before the car is started.
If you read his post correctly, you may note that the damage is already done. The engine is not cranking and the car is stalled to do any experiments further.

Last edited by TaurusAl : 29th June 2012 at 10:51.
TaurusAl is offline   Reply With Quote