Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 20th August 2012, 11:29   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Accidentally filling Petrol in a Diesel car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Diesel is lighter than water and it floats and maybe that's one of the reason why you were able to drive for so long. Did you notice any loss of acceleration or other problems while driving
I'm sorry but this doesn't make sense at all. Agreed the diesel is lighter than water, but the fuel pump pulls in fuel from the bottom of the tank and not from the top. I don't how the car did 300 odd kms and that is really surprising that it didn't run into trouble earlier.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 11:35   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
I'm sorry but this doesn't make sense at all. Agreed the diesel is lighter than water, but the fuel pump pulls in fuel from the bottom of the tank and not from the top. I don't how the car did 300 odd kms and that is really surprising that it didn't run into trouble earlier.
I didn't say that is the only reason.
On a lighter note, like the air car developed by TATA, they might also be going somewhere with the water powered car.
speedmiester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 11:39   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Diesel is lighter than water and it floats and maybe that's one of the reason why you were able to drive for so long. Did you notice any loss of acceleration or other problems while driving
Hi Speedmiester,

I believe Diesel is not lighter than water. Because the diesel tanks have flow pipes mated below the tank running towards the fuel pump at engine bay. If the diesel floats, then water is consumed to run 300+kms in a diesel engine, which would definitely be a wonder of the world.

Since Diesel is heavier than water, all the diesel had been utilized by the fuel injectors.

yes there were jerks on my way back home, which were not that frequent, but during signals, I used to shut down the engine. It used to take 2-3 cranks to start back, I didn't give much impedance towards it.

Somehow, its still a mystery to me inspite of thinking all possibilities, still the car couldn't have run so many KM's with water diesel was left over.
kicksperliter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 11:59   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksperliter View Post
I believe Diesel is not lighter than water. Because the diesel tanks have flow pipes mated below the tank running towards the fuel pump at engine bay. If the diesel floats, then water is consumed to run 300+kms in a diesel engine, which would definitely be a wonder of the world.

Since Diesel is heavier than water, all the diesel had been utilized by the fuel injectors.

yes there were jerks on my way back home, which were not that frequent, but during signals, I used to shut down the engine. It used to take 2-3 cranks to start back, I didn't give much impedance towards it.

Somehow, its still a mystery to me inspite of thinking all possibilities, still the car couldn't have run so many KM's with water diesel was left over.
Diesel is lighter than water. The specific gravity of diesel measured at 15 degrees Celsius is around 850/900 kg/cu.m where as for pure water it is 1000 kg/cu.m. The water that was dispensed in this case would be far from pure so it would have most certainly weighed more and hence diesel would float on water and not the other way round. Almost all liquid fuels that we know are lighter than water including crude oil. That is the reason when there are oils spills the oils remains on top of the water and does not sink.

Edit: Source for density of different liquids - http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_liquids.htm

Last edited by vikram_d : 21st August 2012 at 12:02.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 12:24   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Diesel is lighter than water. The specific gravity of diesel measured at 15 degrees Celsius is around 850/900 kg/cu.m where as for pure water it is 1000 kg/cu.m. The water that was dispensed in this case would be far from pure so it would have most certainly weighed more and hence diesel would float on water and not the other way round. Almost all liquid fuels that we know are lighter than water including crude oil. That is the reason when there are oils spills the oils remains on top of the water and does not sink.

Edit: Source for density of different liquids - Mass, Weight, Density or Specific Gravity of Liquids
Thanks Vikram for correcting me. Then this adds more to my mystery of how did car run on water mixed with diesel?
kicksperliter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2012, 17:00   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Petrol in Diesel car.... VW bills!

VW gave an estimate of Rs 28,000 for flushing diesel out of a petrol Polo. The car was driven 10-12 kilometers after it was accidently filled with diesel instead of petrol. When asked, they said they can clean lines, flush tank, change spark plugs for 1500 and 6000 labor but the owner will have to sign a document stating that VW will not be responsible if anything happens in future coz of this..
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2012, 20:09   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
VW gave an estimate of Rs 28,000 for flushing diesel out of a petrol Polo. ...
...sign a document stating that VW will not be responsible if anything happens in future coz of this..
Just one word- ABSURD!!

So is the owner planning to bear that expense? Or are you the owner?

That signed document could be the last nail on the coffin because how would VW be able to differentiate a genuine engine problem from one that has arisen due to incorrect fuel addition?

The way VW deals with customers, any future troubles that vehicle faces could be swept aside saying its the fuel issue that caused the problem.
mempheS.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 11:33   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksperliter View Post
Thanks Vikram for correcting me. Then this adds more to my mystery of how did car run on water mixed with diesel?
I think the diesel filter, which has a water separator did its job. For 300 km it got enough diesel to keep the engine running. When it got pure water the engine stalled. By the way did u get water in fuel indicator light on ur dashboard?
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 11:48   #84
BHPian

Default A near disaster: Petrol put in my 6200 km run Etios Liva

Mods, please shift this to the appropriate position if this is not the right place

It was a near disaster, never thought this can happen to me. But it happened. Petrol was put in my 6200+ km run Etios Liva Diesel, but somehow I could avoid a total disaster.

The incident happened last Sunday at Lake Auto Stores, Kolkata. At the crossing of Southern Avenue and Lansdowne Road. A well-known fuel station in this part of the city, normally very efficient too. I had been using this pump for ages and never had a problem. This time the accident happened.

I parked the car, asked for diesel and to make it auto-full. The attendant cross-checked "diesel?" and took the filling handle in his hand. Before I could look, I was distracted by a person who was trying to sell his packet of car shampoo etc. I dissuaded the person, looked back at the meter and fuel has started getting in in my car. In a few minutes, my car had taken in 6.7 litre and then the pump attendant suddenly stopped the machine. And yelled at me: "Dada, don't turn the ignition on."

--"What happened?"
--"Unmindfully, I had put petrol in your car."

Gosh. I came down from my car and saw the disaster. It was petrol, that was getting in in my four month old diesel car. I know the consequences of fuel mix in a diesel car and didn't know what to do now.

All the petrol pump attendants came running in, so did the manager. They were profusely apologetic and immediately started taking correcting measures. All of them assured me, "Dada, leave the car to us. We will do what is necessary."

Fortunately, the petrol pump has a repairing workshop attached to it. They pushed the car to the workshop, drained out the entire fuel from the car. Then they removed the fuel tank from the car, blow dried the tank to remove any trace of residue of the mixed fuel. The fuel tank was then put in it's proper place and the car was filled with diesel. The tank took in 43.2 liters of diesel in auto-full position.

The payment calculation was done like this:
The fuel that came out from my tank was measured. It came to approximately 23 litres. Out of which 6.7 litre was their own fuel. So when I came to the filling station my car was having approximately 16.3 litre of diesel when I came to the petrol pump. Assuming there was some spillage when they were removing the mixed fuel, they rounded off the original diesel content in my car to 21 litres and I was billed for 22.3 litres. Fair enough. I dont think I lost in terms of money. On the other hand I got a few litres of diesel for free. Not enough compensation for the time lost or the mental agony, but I don't think I could have asked for more given that the people in the pump were courteous enough and the way they handled the emergency situation efficiently.

Two more points:

1. I called up Toyota service, and they immediately responded. They wanted to send a service engineer in any emergency. But after talking to the mechanic at the workshop who was handling my car, they were fully satisfied. They asked me whether I had put the ignition on after the fuel mix. When I said "no", they said: nothing will happen to my car, and I run the car like before after removing mixed fuel and drying the tank.

2. I asked the petrol pump attendants whether this kind of fuel mix happens regularly or not. They said, it's not a regular phenomenon, but mistakes do happen once in a blue moon. They have faced situations like this before. And all the attendants were unanimous in their opinion that with so many cars these days, they get confused once in a while. Specially with Toyota and Maruti mid-sized cars. They also opined that the petrol pumps should not be having petrol and diesel filling machines side by side, which is the custom in most pumps.

Last word: my car is running fine since Sunday. Almost 400 km and nothing is wrong so far. I hope I am lucky and had a narrow escape!

Mods: I missed mentioning that my car is diesel in the heading. Can you please make it "A near disaster: Petrol put in in my 6200 km run Liva diesel" ? Regards

Last edited by subratasenn : 10th January 2013 at 12:02. Reason: Request to moderators
subratasenn is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 11:55   #85
BHPian

Default Re: A near disaster: Petrol put in my 6200 km run Etios Liva

^^^That's a real narrow escape you had! Its nice to know that the fuel pump attendant was alert and accepted/corrected the mistake ASAP.
Nice lesson learnt. Thanks for sharing. Wish you many more miles.
Divya Sharan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 11:57   #86
BHPian

WoW - You were definitely lucky, You should thank your stars that the pump attendant was alert enough.

Kudos to the pump owners for accepting their fault and trying to fix it, i have known some folks who will argue its not their fault blah..blah.

Wish you many more happy miles ahead and thanks for sharing.
vishygk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 12:06   #87
BHPian

Thanks @vishygk, I know I am really lucky. I don't know what would have happened if I had put the ignition on in my car. Mistakes do happen, and I won't blame the pump attendant for that. I am fortunate that he immediately admitted his mistake and started taking corrective measures.
subratasenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 12:15   #88
Senior - BHPian

More than the trouble you landed in to, I am simply amazed at the way the folk at the pump handled the situation. They went out of the way to help you and accepted fault. There is next to no scope of this in the city I live. At the most, a Shell pump will be accountable. The rest will never accept a mistake from their end.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 12:18   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Pheww!! That was real close!

Although the pump guys were at fault, I will still admire the way they responded to the problem. Firstly, at least they accepted it being their fault...9 out of 10 times in such situations, pump guys will get adamant that they filled what you asked for. They would seldom accept that it was their fault. Good civic sense prevailed here. Not to mention the fact that they got your tank clean at their own expense, though the trouble was all yours. But the best thing that they could have done & what you would expect. Everything sorted out amicably! That's rare here!

Let the sense prevail!

Regards.

Last edited by saket77 : 10th January 2013 at 12:20. Reason: typo
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 12:33   #90
Senior - BHPian

OMG, that was close.
But, really good job by guys over there to get it fixed on their own, kudos to them.

How long did it take for the whole process to be taken care ?
Also , wanted to know if 5-6 lt of petrol get mixed with 15-16 lt diesel will it really screw up the car ?
I guess we need to be extra careful every time we refuel .

Cheers
Schoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote