Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 29th August 2006, 23:40   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentt
Hi,
This accident is an unfortunate case and am sure your friend is lucky to be alive. I cannot just only blame the driver for his sleepy nature. It so happens that he sleeps less because he has to be driving more.

Cost cutting should not go down to a level where employees will be cut in these terms. Our company is better I should say, Drivers get adequate rest before/after driving.

But one thing that really bothers me when I sit in our cabs too, is the speed in which they drive. Can some kind of speed limiters be installed in this call centre cabs compulsorily so that they drive no more than 55kmph or some fixed speed deemed the best.
I was carried out long time back with DELL B'lore... they had GPRS and the Transport Admin could easily track down cabs, also they had a lock which would restrict the cabs going above 60KMPH. But don't know if its still happening...Overall its the responsibility of the driver and the employee sitting inside it !!
jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006, 02:30   #17
BHPian

very sad..
good to hear everyone are fine now.
gamerno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006, 03:45   #18
BHPian

Not all BPO or Call Centre transport systems try to get the most outta the cabbies you know. I know of a Company Call Centre and BPO that takes the transport of the employees very seriously.

First they tried the 2 drivers per car. 2 cab drivers for one vehicle. Can't jump vehicles. You are assigned to one cab and one cab only. But then if one driver for one cab is ill and can't turn up the driver had to continue on. Ofcourse there are exceptions where the supervisors would assign him a drop or pick up close by. But the idea wasn't fool proof.

Current system in place - A limit on the KMS that they clock. Under a target they get paid a good amount per kilometer. Once that limit has been reached and they continue on, they get paid lesser per KM and there are levels. So the more that they drive the worser for them. So noone really drives continously and they get help from the service providers also. They only pay a driver for the stipulated hours meaning no excuses that you pulled an extra shift or swapped with someone else.

Haven't seen one sleepy driver since then. But no plan is fool proof. The idea must have sent the transport budget through the roof. Hope noone screws with it.

But the never ending problem will be the cab drivers thinking that they can emulate MS.
TheCockroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006, 03:56   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango
I was carried out long time back with DELL B'lore... they had GPRS and the Transport Admin could easily track down cabs, also they had a lock which would restrict the cabs going above 60KMPH. But don't know if its still happening...Overall its the responsibility of the driver and the employee sitting inside it !!
The restriction didn't work bud. It was a bad idea. Imagaine the drivers want to overtake a vehicle and there is another vehicle coming from the other end. His sub concious will tell him that he can make it in this car, but he hits the speed limitor when he's side by side the vehicle he's trying to overtake with another one in front of him. Hence the idea RIP. Now its more about getting the right people for the job. You make the service providers deals and they will give you the kinda people you want or else you loose your contract (Not fool proof again). Dont' know much nowadays dont' want the 90 mins. travel time when I can do the same distance in 25 mins on my bike. So all information is from a while back.

Last edited by TheCockroach : 30th August 2006 at 03:59.
TheCockroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006, 09:47   #20
BANNED

Very unfortunate!!
The SUMOs have very bad crash resistance. The vast amount of crashes on them have proved it.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006, 11:17   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil
Helps by significantly reducing congestion on our city streets! Wouldn't you love to see the number of Indicabs almost halved?
Oh.. You bet!!!

My only concern was if they don't reduce the stress levels of the driver by better management, the risks don't actually go down as most of cabs are driven in the nights.
Venom_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006, 15:31   #22
BHPian

Do you all think the cabbies really love to drive at a breakneck speed all the 12 hrs everyday??? or they donot have families, hate bathing and sleeping, and that is the reason they are on the shift 24 hrs a day??

To everybody cursing the call center cabbies, try to lead there life just for one day and you will see the point. I am a vehicle owner and quite a few of my vehicles are operating in the call center environment. Believe me, I have also done duty as a cabbie, under very tight situations. when the driver for the next sift in the cab could not turn up. And the guy driving for the last 12 hrs needed a well deserved break.

I don't know about other owners, but I am proud to say, all my drivers are well rested, by Indian standards. Every driver has a 12 hr shift, this is a countrywide practice, and I can not change/challange that, economics.

About the rough driving, letme tell you the cabbies never get enough time to do the trip at a sedate pace. Either the route roster is late, or we get traffic snarls, and there is always a company bonafide employee, on any trip, who starts getting dressed after the cab honks the horn at his doorsteps, when that guy already know of the time when the cab will come for pickup. The problem can never have one solution. Every one has to do his part efficiently to solve this problem.

About the bigger vehicles instead of sumo/qualis/indica. What chance you have if the Tata buss is being driven by a time starved, sleepy, driver manages to break control?? Which is easier than a qualis or indica getting out of controll.

Please correct me if whatever I said is wrong. Since as a owner it affects us, when the cars crash gue to driver fatigue, and I do sincerely want to have some regulations in this industry, so that the Driver fatigue can be reduced, universally. Having the same financiall effect on all operators.

Last edited by sumitkalindi : 30th August 2006 at 15:43.
sumitkalindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006, 15:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitkalindi
To everybody cursing the call center cabbies, try to lead there life just for one day and you will see the point.
Sumit, your point is well taken but to give you another perspective....I do the Gurgaon-Delhi commute everyday and believe me....40% of the Qualis, Tavera & Sumos that are driven at breakneck speed are during those periods that the drivers are picking up passengers by the wayside and making an extra buck ON COMPANY TIME........this is what bugs me no end. Reason for the breakneck speed and rash driving is more because they are going off their usual route to pick up & drop daily commuters...not always because companies give them impossible deadlines & time frames
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006, 15:53   #24
BANNED

Sumit, no matter what the constraints/hardships endured by cabbies, it does not give them or car companies the right to put everyone else on the road at risk by their hazardous driving.

Please don't take any offense, but I have seen some really badly driven call centre cars nearly kill innocent motorists and pedestrians, and there is absolutely no justification for such a thing.
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006, 16:01   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
Sumit, your point is well taken but to give you another perspective....I do the Gurgaon-Delhi commute everyday and believe me....40% of the Qualis, Tavera & Sumos that are driven at breakneck speed are during those periods that the drivers are picking up passengers by the wayside and making an extra buck ON COMPANY TIME........this is what bugs me no end. Reason for the breakneck speed and rash driving is more because they are going off their usual route to pick up & drop daily commuters...not always because companies give them impossible deadlines & time frames
Sure, that why I said, "The problem can never have one solution. Every one has to do his part efficiently to solve this problem."

You said about 40% what about the rest 60%, they can be assumed to be working sincerely, and if we break up the 40%, 80% cabbies are the one who are either offduty, or returning after a drop off, and they have enough time in their hand to catch 40 winks after reporting back to the Transport Controll Center of the company. Even favouritism, by the operator play a good part, return early, please the dispatcher and get the lucrative route.

Every one has a part to play in this. To change this we need a movement from the correct guys, more responsibllity of the company, towards its employees, since after all it is the employees that suffer the most.
sumitkalindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006, 16:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitkalindi
after all it is the employees that suffer the most.
...along with a few thousand other innocent pedestrians, two wheelers & motorists as Boom pointed out
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006, 16:59   #27
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
Sumit, no matter what the constraints/hardships endured by cabbies, it does not give them or car companies the right to put everyone else on the road at risk by their hazardous driving.

Please don't take any offense, but I have seen some really badly driven call centre cars nearly kill innocent motorists and pedestrians, and there is absolutely no justification for such a thing.
I agree with this. Once the cab drivers take on the responsibility of driving they have to do it right. No excuses, like lack of sleep. I can understand fatigue playing a major role in accidents during long drives on the highway. But city driving in the middle of the night on empty roads should not end up in accidents unless the driver is extremely careless. Sure, he can still doze off due to extreme fatigue -- but I personally cannot excuse that on a short drive. The driver could take a cup of coffee, wash his face, or just concentrate harder -- that is his job. Of course, the company can help too by letting the drivers take proper rest.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006, 17:11   #28
BHPian

Well, when I was working in a bpo(delhi), we used ask the cab driver about his state.

If sleepy we always had him sleep in the last seat and drive it ourselves.

Also, the person sitting in front had the responsibility to check if he is wide awake or not.

Infact, when he used to come to pick me up he used to park and sleep and give the keys to my mom. So that when I'm ready I would drive and pick my colleagues and wake him up when the office is nearby.

Although bending the rules but was safe and co-operative on our part.

Better be safe than sorry.

Ciao
Samy
urdudesamy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006, 17:36   #29
BHPian

Smile Cab woes ... Drive responsibly

Looking through all the posts, I do realize that even my idea that I had asked of speed limiter will have problems as mentioned during necessary overtakings. But I still feel 60 - 70 kmph limiter would really do some good.

However, apart from company rules and company policy on transport, whatever means is used to track the vehicle, I think the most important thing that has come in here is the fact that the vehicle needs to be driven responsibly. The vehicle should not be a means for the driver to remove out his frustration of his job. Because the losers will be ourselves only.

I think hence, the responsibility comes back on our head. To tell the driven to go slow. I often in the cab quip and say, ... "havent we taken off". I thought we were going to start the take off roll for flying home .... After which drivers drive for a little while slowly and then back to default. Drivers should be educated guys and not as sometimes seen - Xth failed!!! or even worse.
vincentt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006, 17:45   #30
BHPian

@Boomshiva, I am not for, or against anyone. I am just putting the issue from a different angle, that's all. Your point is perfect.

If you see, rules abroad, there is s rule that a driver can do a max of some hours of duty, and their minimum wages are also governd by the authorities. So that the drivers do not loose out on there pay due to govt driving limit regulations.

However here a rigourus 12 hrs, duty behind the wheel is a rule than exeption and over it they also get a overtime if it is more than 12 hrs. SO you got my point. If I want to keep three drivers for operating my vehicles 24 hours, I would have to spend more than my competitors, on every vehicle, in this competitive market this would cripple me financially. Now suppose there is a rule by the customer(read BPO companies/Govt Regulation) that the driver has to be paid a minimum of this amount for a max of 8hrs duty, beyond which if the driver is not replaced with a Well rested driver, the vehicle will not be issued any route. Every owner /operator has to keep three driver to keep the vehicles operating 24 hrs. Creating a level field for all the operators/owners and also eliminating a big reason for these accidents. That's what I am talking about.

@vincentt vbmenu_register("postmenu_283569", true); I agree with you "Drivers should be educated guys and not as sometimes seen - Xth failed!!! or even worse." But again you see lots of bottlenecks. From the Licence issueing authorities to our mind set, that driving is a menial job. Just think, will any graduate, or 12th passout opt for being a driver??? No, low pay, long duty hours and all.

And sure buddy no offence meant no offence taken. I am a broad minded guy. :-))

Last edited by sumitkalindi : 30th August 2006 at 18:00.
sumitkalindi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote