Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 29th June 2015, 13:33   #1
BHPian

Default Pune: Man sets fire to 92 vehicles near Sinhagad Road

Vehicles where torched across five housing societies and a pizza outlet.
Three persons have been reported to be injured with minor burns.
Initial investigation reveals the role of an unidentified man who chose vehicles randomly. Fuel lines of the vehicles where cut and then set ablaze. Fire spread quickly engulfing nearby parked vehicles.

Here is a link to the original piece of news from TOI:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/47858030.cms
spyder_p8 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2015, 13:59   #2
BHPian

Default re: Pune: Man sets fire to 92 vehicles near Sinhagad Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder_p8 View Post

Initial investigation reveals the role of an unidentified man who chose vehicles randomly. Fuel lines of the vehicles where cut and then set ablaze. Fire spread quickly engulfing nearby parked vehicles.
Thanks spyder_p8 for sharing the information.

Its really unfortunate. Its very difficult to practically stop such incidents if the culprit is doing this at around 3:30 - 4:00 am.

Most of us are not as particular with 2 wheeler insurance as with the car insurance. In past too, there have been such incidents in the same area. I suggest the follow BHPians in the area to have the insurance cover and to advise the same to their friends and relatives in that area.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2015, 10:04   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder_p8 View Post
Three persons have been reported to be injured with minor burns.

Here is a link to the original piece of news from TOI:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/47858030.cms
Very unfortunate and sad turn of events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Thanks spyder_p8 for sharing the information.

Its really unfortunate. Its very difficult to practically stop such incidents if the culprit is doing this at around 3:30 - 4:00 am.

Most of us are not as particular with 2 wheeler insurance as with the car insurance. In past too, there have been such incidents in the same area. I suggest the follow BHPians in the area to have the insurance cover and to advise the same to their friends and relatives in that area.
I agree. In addition to this these societies have hardly any security arrangements. What I have seen is people are very unwilling to accept any increase in maintenance contribution of society. So the society has no money to employ security guards.

The need of hour is CCTV camera and security guards deployment in every society which will deter miscreants like this from doing anything which will harm the people and building premises.
athanedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2015, 12:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Name:  00 Avdhootarcade2.jpg
Views: 4131
Size:  65.8 KB

Name:  00 Avdhootarcade3.jpg
Views: 4186
Size:  76.3 KB

Name:  00 d2b303705eab45039e41f9e73e662fa1wallpaper1.jpg
Views: 4171
Size:  70.9 KB

Name:  00 DominosPizza1.jpg
Views: 4233
Size:  69.3 KB

Name:  00 DominosPizza5.jpg
Views: 4208
Size:  83.3 KB

Picture source : http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-...1-1363760.aspx

More Details: http://www.rushlane.com/92-cars-and-...-12155306.html

Insurance scam is what comes to my mind.

EDIT: Video of the man doing this. Quite scary!
http://picsture.com/unidentified-man...6dae43909.html

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th June 2015 at 18:40. Reason: Adding pics, thanks!
Captain Slow is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2015, 14:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: Pune: Man sets fire to 92 vehicles near Sinhagad Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Insurance scam is what comes to my mind.
It more seems like an insane person going around burning vehicles without any specific objective. What benefit would this person have from Insurance, he would not be related to any vehicles at all. Remember a few months back the case of state transport bus driver who ran amok damaging vehicles. The Dominos pizza outlet vehicles which were burnt, I have seen them being parked haphazardly on the Sinhagad road. I have also see the guys using these vehicles rashly on the road, so I fell no remorse for them. But other society vehicles, definitely yes.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2015, 21:29   #6
BHPian

Default Re: Pune: Man sets fire to 92 vehicles near Sinhagad Road

Yes it is most likely a deranged arsonist. Videos from security camera should be of help. This type of cases are fairly common. I remember one not from very long ago in Los Angeles. You can read about it here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%E..._arson_attacks.

Big tab to pick up for the insurance companies.
dj78 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2015, 22:15   #7
MSC
BHPian

A single person goes on burning spree and almost scores a century in the amazing "burnout".
It is highly probable that this is nothing but an act of mental instability and insanity.
Any person in his senses is highly unlikely to torch such a large number of vehicles which were owned by people definitely unknown to him.
The biggest reprise is that no loss of life took place. Everything can be replaced but not life.
MSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 11:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanedar View Post
What I have seen is people are very unwilling to accept any increase in maintenance contribution of society. So the society has no money to employ security guards.
You know the absolute funny thing?
Those same people would have no qualms spending Rs500 extra (compared to say this month) per month on icecream/eatingout/clothes etc without even thinking.

But when it comes to a Rs500 increase in maintenance, everyone makes such a hue and cry as if they are living below the poverty line.

So I guess you can see where their priority lies.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 16:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

Crazy idea, but if this was a "well-built" man as some reports indicate, perhaps he was hired by the Dominos outlet owner as part of an elaborate insurance scam? I mean that was his first stop, and the guard was conveniently sleeping inside and the number of vehicles he set on fire from there on, decreased (maybe that was done to try indicating that this was a random act of vandalism?).

However, having seen some of our country's idiotic youth, I wouldn't be surprised if this was cause by a guy reeling from a breakup
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 17:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

I am reading in the newspapers that the police have arrested a murder suspect who had just murdered his friend last weekend over the liquor bill.
Where is the world moving? A guy who has murdered someone is not kept in the jail even after arrest and he is roaming on the roads setting fire to the vehicles?
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 21:00   #11
BHPian

We had random acts of broken windshields a couple of years ago. Cars parked on streets suffered windshield and door glass damage. No theft of items in cars.

Police nabbed the perpetrator. Reason offered by him was, no body loaned him a car when he was need for a medical emergency in his family.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2015, 12:31   #12
BHPian

Pune police have arrested a 32 year old man accused of burning 92 vehicles. It seems he had committed similar crimes in the past as well.
Pune Mirror
mahesh_sn is offline   Reply With Quote