Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 1st August 2015, 09:54   #496
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Car convoy attacked in Ladakh by taxi mafia!

On the Himalayan club page, and to some extent here as well, I just love how some people have made their peace with having their cars stopped by random civilians who have set up a rod on a stone, to check whether you are you, or your fathers son, and to turn you away thousands of kms from home.
"Its not happening NOW"/ "It'll happen to other people."

I just hope the CNG plans for the place, or the tunnel too, comes into being soon, just so that the taxi guys thrown out of their places.
mayankk is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 10:50   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
the influx of self driven cars was more than 500-600 per season. This used to take away a major chunk of their earnings, and hence the decision to ban them. Even after the ban, rental cars from surrounding and nearby states used to sneak in under the disguise of self owned ones. Hence, the decision of absolute ban.
Glad that got cleared. So nothing to do with eco"logy" but just plain eco"nomics" (read greed). Gives me a good example to follow since my company is facing a lot of competition from other players in the industry setting up shop in the city. I should definitely look at making a union and taking "appropriate steps" to handle the threat from competition.

Another takeaway that I have from here is that self drives do make a considerable number of visitors.

Quote:
2) its safe to travel in self owned cars. The papers will definitely be checked and as long as owner and driver tally, you won't be bothered.
Checked illegally by the self appointed union? I love self governance and local empowerment.

Quote:
3) the car convoy attack was an isolated incident.
Hmm... doesn't make too much difference to me if I am the isolated exception to the rule, is it? Things can be "generally okay" and I may still get attacked, injured and scarred for life. No thanks.

Quote:
4) Delhi cars are at more risk. The risk is there even if its a self owned car. They seem to have developed some sort of animosity towards the Delhi crowd.
Is that so? Didn't I read about a BHPian driving a MH registration car who was roughed up in this thread itself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Someone here from the hvk forum? Can you please put a post there to "document" how the taxis operate, how they drive, park, where they wash etc, so that is fellas can have guidelines and understand what it is that rental/own car drivers are doing wrong, and won't in the future?
Quote:
5) keep a low profile and be friendly, nothing will happen to you.
Any clarifications and guidelines here to keep the "low profile" and be "friendly"? Like don't look the union guys in the eye, just focus on third button or lower? Stand at attention when addressed? Start and end all sentences with "sir"? Be willing to shell out any "fee" charged to you?

Quote:
All three, independently, had the same things to say.
Good to see the populace is united behind the stand and therefore presumably all party and willing to face the consequences.

I will never argue that there aren't people severely lacking in common sense around. I don't even have to go to Ladakh to experience that, just step out of the house and you can see loads all around. It is the attempt to justify greed and criminal intent as a measure to save the ecology is what makes me see red!
NowNew7 is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 12:42   #498
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I spoke to a few Ladakhis I had met during my last trip
Very helpful in helping understand the psyche of the locals- thanks.

Quote:
2) its safe to travel in self owned cars. The papers will definitely be checked and as long as owner and driver tally, you won't be bothered.
5) keep a low profile and be friendly, nothing will happen to you.
Awwww that is sweet [/sarc]. They *do* know they have no right to impose these arbitrary conditions right? Or are we just supposed to accept these and move on?

The government needs to step in now- enough is enough. If it is a law, we will abide- simple. If not, there is no moral justification for this targeted campaign against self-driven vehicles, rented or otherwise.

The sad thing in all this is that tourism to Ladakh has already started getting affected. The season is short enough as it is. Feel bad for the hotel owners and others related to tourism who will lose business. But if they are allowing the taxi Mafia to represent their views, I suppose they are asking for it.
noopster is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 19:11   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
This is interesting. I would've thought that for someone with a baby, they'll have some humanity.

Sort of confirms my beliefs. Taxi union goons are normally the worst douchebags in any community (just as the taxi drivers in uttarakhand drive like absolute idiots, esp in areas of impending jam/landslides, while the locals are so so nice!)
You are right, after that day i believe they don`t have humanity. They are money hungry wolves acting like dictators. In fact police doesn`t involve in their cases. They don`t care "Atithi Devo Bhava". I don`t blame all of them but majority are thugs.
SYSTEMIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2015, 13:13   #500
Distinguished - BHPian

It's been about 3 weeks since the despicable attack on ashnd's convoy by goons at Ladakh. What initially appeared to me to be an isolated, one-off case when this thread was launched, has escalated into a full-blown war declared by misguided and poorly informed folks of Ladakh, not only against commercially registered LMVs, but also on privately registered vehicles driven by owners and their relatives / friends. There appear to be multiple reports in the social media about how vehicles have been stopped and damaged, how the police remained mute bystanders, how people have been left stranded on the road in inhospitable terrain without food and water, and how the locals have generally misbehaved with and cheated tourists in taxis as well as at hotels.

On the one hand we have the taxiwalas of the region, who, in their own economic interest, have illegally resolved to blackmail tourists and hold them to ransom, forcing them to use these taxis rather than their own vehicles, under threat of damage to such expensive vehicles. The local police and administration appear to be hand-in-glove with them, and tacitly support their activities. It is especially frightening that some Ladakhis are spreading the #teambhp brand of terror, wherein their targeting is now focused on vehicles bearing Team-BHP stickers.

On the other hand, I would like to thank Team-BHP members like ravveendra and SILVERWOOD who have shown great initiative in starting social and legal campaigns against such utter lawlessness and high-handedness. Thanks also go to all the members who have written to the various government officials and ministers, to the newspapers and electronic news media, highlighting the issue. Boycotting Ladakh as a tourist destination for some years is certainly the way forward, to make the Ladakhis see the futility of their evil ways.

@ashnd, @lamborghini and others on the team that was attacked: my apologies for having questioned you earlier regarding the sequence of events of what transpired there. No hard feelings please. The 2-minute video that you subsequently released explains everything that happened and / or is happening there. Look forward to more videos that you may want to share.

Elsewhere around the country too, similar reports have started pouring in - about Sikkim, where the taxi unions are above any law and block private cars from going anywhere beyond Gangtok, about Tawang where one is discouraged from taking one's own private vehicle to the Sela Pass (one even needs to go to great trouble to get an Inner Line Permit to enter Arunachal Pradesh at all), about Goa where out-of-state vehicles are frowned upon, and about Karnataka (especially Bengaluru) where the police themselves pretend to misinterpret the law and harass & fine non-KA vehicles illegally. At Kashmir itself, taxiwalas harass self-driven vehicles going to Gulmarg and Pahalgam, and these are not allowed to proceed beyond certain points, forcing tourists to switch over to local taxis at steep cost. Even the Nelong Valley in Uttarakhand, newly opened for tourists in May this year, is practically off-limits for most common tourists - one needs a permit from the SDM and a fitness certificate, and then one has to go there in decrepit, smoky, open-top Forest Department Boleros, leaving one's car behind.

I therefore now support the #BoycottLadakh and #SayNoToLadakh campaigns whole-heartedly. In addition, we should also institute measures to boycott as tourist destinations places like Sikkim, Kashmir, western Arunachal Pradesh, parts of Uttarakhand, Goa, parts of Karnataka especially Bangalore, and other similar places. In an independent, democratic country like ours, any impediment / restriction placed on any road being taken by any self-driven vehicle where civilians are otherwise generally allowed, is illegal, deplorable and must be protested against.

Last edited by Samurai : 2nd August 2015 at 17:09. Reason: TBD
SS-Traveller is offline   (22) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2015, 16:42   #501
BHPian

Its surprising how a few people are even actually accepting the terms being meted out to travellers in their own country! Where would all this end? Having read all of it and discovering more in media, etc. I am begining to have this rising feeling that we are going back in time, instead of progressing ahead and making the lives of our brethren easier. I continue to extend my whole-hearted support to put an end to this high-handed goonish approach being undertaken by the taxi union, where ever it may be. Be it Ladakh, Sikkim, Goa or KA. This has to stop! And for one, all of us here cannot have a divided view on it. Why are some of us 'ok' with being bullied into accepting the unlawful way, under the guise of livelihood and ecological conversation? We all know, its not the ecology that these people are concerned about, in the least. Its plain and pure - GREED. Please lets not collectively promote a culture of complacency. Lets fight for what is 'right'.
Gentle Giant is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 17:13   #502
BHPian

There are reports from other travel forums that Private cars and bikes (white board) are also not allowed to do Leh full circuits in-spite of the owners driving the vehicle.

Not sure of the veracity of the statement but if true it would cause a significant dip in tourist revenues for hotels and home stays. Possibly some one who is in Leh currently can confirm.
Aceman82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 19:07   #503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman82 View Post
Not sure of the veracity of the statement but if true it would cause a significant dip in tourist revenues for hotels and home stays. Possibly some one who is in Leh currently can confirm.
Let this tourist season at Leh get over. We would know who actually won this game. The local taxi unions, hoteliers etc., or the tourists. That being said, I am also getting a feeling that the pristine beauty of Leh is also now getting destroyed as many more tourists are finding it easily reachable.
sachinpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 19:24   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Let this tourist season at Leh get over. We would know who actually won this game. The local taxi unions, hoteliers etc., or the tourists. That being said, I am also getting a feeling that the pristine beauty of Leh is also now getting destroyed as many more tourists are finding it easily reachable.
Could be but the current issue is really not of ecology but of money.

I don't want to get into the debate of who is wrong or right but I find it unlikely that the self drive crowd would actually come to Ladhak and go on Taxis.

Who would finally win, I have no idea but I only hope that people of Ladhak do not end up as losers since there are other places which one can drive to.
Aceman82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2015, 03:52   #505

I have been to the hills few times and found the people there extremely polite and nice. I was really shocked the first time I read this. Hope the situation in Ladakh gets better soon as I am also planning a trip from Delhi to Ladakh in my car, possibly in September.
rohitchandra21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2015, 15:30   #506

We were planning Leh very soon. but now have cancelled our Leh plans. planning on some other place.

Thanks for informing us on the situation.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th August 2015 at 16:19. Reason: Post edited. Please refrain from typing... like... this...
Eagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2015, 16:58   #507
BHPian

Team member Shantonil spoke to Tenzing at 01982-253039 (Ladakh Taxi Union number I think) - he clearly said that if the car is on your name (RC card), you can take the car wherever you want in Ladakh.
Phew - some sort of relief I say

PS: I'm not favoring the situation created by locals but this news is a bit positive for those who want to visit Ladakh in their own cars!
BunnyPunia is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2015, 17:06   #508
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
Team member Shantonil spoke to Tenzing at 01982-253039 (Ladakh Taxi Union number I think) - he clearly said that if the car is on your name (RC card), you can take the car wherever you want in Ladakh.
If he (The Lord of the Union)has even said that, it is no less than threatening!

What if I take a car registered in my friend's name and there's hardly any match even with our surnames or a even leased out car as part of company car lease policy?

Who is this self proclaimed commander of the area who has rights to come up with such diktat?

By all this, it is now almost true that one cannot take rented self-driven cars to Ladakh and at the same time, It doesn't make many happy to learn that owners of their cars are allowed to drive without hassles.
paragsachania is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2015, 18:01   #509
Senior - BHPian

Came across this video in one the FB groups :

http://cj.ibnlive.in.com/taxi-troubles-in-leh-2/43900/
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 00:05   #510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
Phew - some sort of relief I say

PS: I'm not favoring the situation created by locals but this news is a bit positive for those who want to visit Ladakh in their own cars!
Isn't this exactly the issue about? Self proclaimed moral police? If they have the support of authorities to do such ridiculous checks, of course they have taken law in their own hands. Very well they will pelt stones as there is no one to ask them as they OWN Ladakh.

Last edited by funkykar : 7th August 2015 at 00:07.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote