Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 7th August 2015, 07:46   #511
BHPian

Default Re: Car convoy attacked in Ladakh by taxi mafia!

I only get a 15 day holiday twice a year to come back to India and I try to make the most of it. Me and my dad had planned that once I had a license we would most definitely go on a biking/driving trip but looking at the conditions I have lost all interest to go.

Even though my parents would much rather prefer a taxi, influenced by my passion of driving, me and my dad recently made a trip to his hometown without a driver and he acknowledged that it was a lot more fun. The taxi association needs to understand the some people drive themselves not to save money/do what they want, but for making memories without a stranger (taxi driver) in tow and the simple joy of motoring (as exemplified by Team-BHP motto "Live to Drive"). Of course, these things are not on the Taxi Association's mind. Such a sad state of affairs.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 7th August 2015 at 08:13. Reason: edited to remove references to another member. Please stick to topic.
jalajprakash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 12:56   #512

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
I spoke to a few Ladakhis I had met during my last trip- our taxi driver, hotel manager and our guide.
Even I just now spoke to Leh Tax Union guys. They have clearly said that, "If you are traveling on your own personal car and if you have all the documents on your name, then you can travel safely and smoothly. You are most welcome. BUT, please, DO NOT come by any outside taxi or any other rental car. Also, IMPORTANT NOTE to all travelers going to Leh on their own cars, PLEASE refrain from using any foul language and if possible use "AAP" instead of "TU and TUJHE""

Last edited by ampere : 7th August 2015 at 13:39. Reason: Removed bulk of quoted post
xplorerdev is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 14:09   #513
BHPian

This is a real example of Goondaraj! A taxi Union has created rules for the tax paying, law abiding citizens of the country. What if I'm driving my chacha/mama's car? How would I prove that it is not rented. The real reason is why should I prove it to some goons from a taxi Union??

I'm definitely not traveling to Leh before this gets resolved. At the least, they won't get my 2 cents!
troublemaker is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 14:38   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorerdev View Post
Even I just now spoke to Leh Tax Union guys.
But the catch point (as highlighted by many others) is that the Taxi Union is NOT a law enforcement agency. They cannot form up their own rules and enforce it by bullying. Perhaps @SILVERWOOD and his team of lawyers can also highlight this aspect in their complaint. The state administration and state police are just allowing the Taxi Unions to start enforcing illegal laws (made by them). The state admin and police are actually failing on their duties here.
sachinpk is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 00:16   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
But the catch point (as highlighted by many others) is that the Taxi Union is NOT a law enforcement agency. They cannot form up their own rules and enforce it by bullying. Perhaps @SILVERWOOD and his team of lawyers can also highlight this aspect in their complaint. The state administration and state police are just allowing the Taxi Unions to start enforcing illegal laws (made by them). The state admin and police are actually failing on their duties here.
I now remember hearing somewhere that with respect to some of these tribal-status areas (Lahaul-Spiti would be included here) there is special provision in Indian law for a degree of self-governance; In specific reference to the Ladakh context, what this essentially came down to is that if the natives got together and drafted some new rule or the other that served the sensitive interests of the community, all it needed to be considered valid/legal was several dozen of their signatures. Obviously, no such provision would allow leeway for clearly defined criminal acts, and not being very informed when it comes to matters of the law, it's possible I misunderstood and won't say more on this; but it should be interesting to see how the whole case proceeds, and what might come to light along the way.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 8th August 2015 at 00:21.
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 07:20   #516
Distinguished - BHPian

Hugely OT?

Lot of accusatory finger pointing at Ladakh Unions. And justified too.

Just my two cents for inward reflection by city guys. How many of us get into verbal - or sometimes physical - altercation over outsiders or neighbors parking on road in front of our house? We consider this our territory. We have more right to park on this piece of public land. At logical level this is exactly what union guys are doing.

Not that it becomes justified.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 08:06   #517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Hugely OT?

Lot of accusatory finger pointing at Ladakh Unions. And justified too.

Just my two cents for inward reflection by city guys. How many of us get into verbal - or sometimes physical - altercation over outsiders or neighbors parking on road in front of our house? We consider this our territory. We have more right to park on this piece of public land. At logical level this is exactly what union guys are doing.

Not that it becomes justified.
Er, how's this analogous, sir?
I'll give you an analogy. My local mobile and parchoon stores have employed guards outside my society to stop online store's delivery fellows by barking at them and slapping them around till word spreads and no deliveries happen. They also stop all the residents before entering and check what they bought from BigBazaar. Everytime, thoroughly.
mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 23:22   #518
Senior - BHPian

Why don't we all just forget about Ladakh completely? Clearly the local taxi union rules there and not the Indian government. They make the laws, they decide who should and shouldn't come to the region and how they should dress and talk and behave and drive. I think this nonsense has gone on too far and it's time to boycott these people.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 08:49   #519
Senior - BHPian

This incident was featured in the Citizen Journalist show on CNN IBN last evening. They spoke to a person from the Taxi Union who was complaining about self drive rentals polluting the Pangong lake by driving right upto it. He was also trying to explain that people in Ladhakh depended on tourism for their livelihood.

The Goverment response was on expected lines - we are investigting and no one will be allowed to take law in their own hands.

I hope that the situation improves. The Taxi Union will exist only if the "Domestic" tourists keep coming to Ladakh. Most foreigners are back packers, some are bikers and they do not spend as much as the domestic tourists who come with their families. If Ladakh gets tagged as an "unssafe destination", these familes will shy away.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 09:24   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
This incident was featured in the Citizen Journalist show on CNN IBN last evening. They spoke to a person from the Taxi Union who was complaining about self drive rentals polluting the Pangong lake by driving right upto it. He was also trying to explain that people in Ladhakh depended on tourism for their livelihood.

The Goverment response was on expected lines - we are investigting and no one will be allowed to take law in their own hands.

I hope that the situation improves. The Taxi Union will exist only if the "Domestic" tourists keep coming to Ladakh. Most foreigners are back packers, some are bikers and they do not spend as much as the domestic tourists who come with their families. If Ladakh gets tagged as an "unssafe destination", these familes will shy away.
Nice Joke, they are the ones who started it.
Last year when i was there, mine was the only private vehicle near Pangong and rest all of them were taxi's
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 11:03   #521
BHPian

This incident has now been highlighted at the right places, and I have been witness to debates with equal weights in favor of the taxi union and the self drive enthusiasts!

I think tourists assume the behavior of taxi guys (and state police), to be unhealthy, by default, and small spats are grossly unreported, with the overall experience masking the unpleasant interactions.

I personally have doubts if footfalls would decrease. The non BHPians or the aam familyman planning a Leh trip, is unaware of these incidents.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 17:46   #522
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Er, how's this analogous, sir?
I'll give you an analogy. My local mobile and parchoon stores have employed guards outside my society to stop online store's delivery fellows by barking at them and slapping them around till word spreads and no deliveries happen. They also stop all the residents before entering and check what they bought from BigBazaar. Everytime, thoroughly.
Please go to the roads around CMH hospital in Indira Nagar, Bangalore. All the residents place flower pots / big stones on the road to prevent anybody parking the vehicles. The flower pots/Stones extend up to 10 ft from their respective gates. They are place not only in front of the gate but entire stretch of their home. Most of foot path area was converted in to gardens.
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 19:23   #523
BHPian

This way of "protecting the interests of one group" by banning one group from practising their business is done in many areas in India, and Taxis in Ladakh is not the first. Didn't our government, by law, approve the interests of Telecom companies over the cheaper VOIP? Even smaller examples: Power loom weaves are banned from weaving what can be technically achieved by them, to protect the interests of hand loom weavers.
While this way of banning something to protect something else may be acceptable in some cases, I don't understand how everyone around can just turn a blind eye when violence happens?
Unless some action is taken on this, there is a chance that it is taken for granted, and this will spread to other tourist spots. After all, in tourist spots, the main business is tourism. Like we cannot take our own food inside a cinema hall for the benefit of the vendors there, we cannot drive our own car, for the benefit of the taxi drivers there.
Soon we can even get attacked if we don't take an auto or taxi from the railway station, because their only livelihood is to take people home from railway station, and we could violate their rights, by just walking.
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015, 13:34   #524
Senior - BHPian

My friends who drove there said in most roads while they were driving cautiously through the bad and uneven roads, would every now and then encounter random zoomcar SUV's driven rashly with no consideration to either the vehicle or others on the road.

As an auto enthusiast he found it rather disgusting, and said he could empathize with the locals who wanted to keep such elements out. While these are arguably the minority, they still do give others a bad name I suppose.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2015, 04:46   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
This is a very slippery slope, which goes against the idea of India as a nation.
Completely agree with you here tsk, this is indeed a very slippery slope. No wonder people like Wendy Doniger & Sheldon Pollock are disproving the idea of India as a nation altogether. I don't know if this is off topic, but in my openion this kind of behaviour from different parts of our country is just adding fuel to the fire, artificially created by these so called scholars. I'm some how scared that this kind of hooliganism and "son of the soil" chest thumping will just lead to innovative business ideas being crushed. The idea in question here being "self driven rentals". The validity of any legal business idea cannot and should not be left to the approval of local hooligans, irrespective of the place.

I've had the immense pleasure of driving to Ladakh with my wife last summer. The place and its people left a lasting positive impact on my mind.
I'm still wondering if someone has instigated these taxi drivers or have they resorted to this terrorism on their own. Regardless of what got them to do this, the local police and the authorities have managed to shoot themselves in their backsides in a spectacular manner.
Moving forward, have mailed to the id mentioned and also shared this link on my FB page. I can assure all of you that any person in my sphere of influence will not head to Ladakh until this issue is conclusively resolved.
msk016 is offline   Reply With Quote