Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 16th August 2015, 20:28   #526
BHPian

Default Re: Car convoy attacked in Ladakh by taxi mafia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Nice Joke, they are the ones who started it.
Last year when i was there, mine was the only private vehicle near Pangong and rest all of them were taxi's
The unfolding story continues to be interesting. There was a post by a handle "Raftrek" on the Boycott Ladakh till 2018 forum saying "Drinking and loud music by self driven cars in Ladakh. This all disturb the fragile environment and living creatures in peaceful land. Please help us to save the wildlife of Ladakh" (sic)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...3530217&type=1

Unfortunately for the person, who apparently runs a travel agency one of the other members posted a photo shared by him on social media showing one of his own taxis right on Pangong Lake
https://scontent-bru2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...b5&oe=567CD468

So to paraphrase Orwell, "Some cars are more equal than others"? This can be used as a literal and visual dictionary example of shooting yourself in the foot...
NowNew7 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2015, 14:24   #527
Senior - BHPian

Taxi drivers from neighboring Kargil not spared.

Protests continue for second day in Kargil after taxi drivers assaulted in Leh.

Source
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2015, 14:36   #528
Senior - BHPian

This is indeed sad. What is happening to the notion of one nation? When we cannot live without borders within our own nation how can we live in peace with our neighbours? All this hullabaloo about protecting the bread earnings are hogwash. Do we then start governing migration of people from one state to another as they represent a threat to the local's livelihood? Infact, it has been a flash point in many a areas in the past. Can a rowdy group create a hindrance in my Right to Freedom to roam around in my own country in a civilized way? There are already numerous statutes that protect the right of the local people in the areas of limited resources, are they any better now?
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2015, 22:42   #529
Senior - BHPian

You reap what you sow. The conflict will now blow out of proportion and even the LTOA will not be able to contain it if that happens. Drivers from Leh will not be allowed to do business outside Leh, since outsiders are not being allowed there. And soon a handful of goons will have managed to isolate the entire region again.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2015, 09:53   #530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The conflict will now blow out of proportion and even the LTOA will not be able to contain it if that happens. Drivers from Leh will not be allowed to do business outside Leh, since outsiders are not being allowed there.
My understanding is that such a scheme already exists. Drivers from Manali are not allowed to ply their taxis in Leh, and the reverse case is also there. So from what I understand both these groups have clearly identified a mutually beneficial scheme and would stick to it. Both parties may be getting a decent level of income, and would not really bother to poach into other's territory. It is car rental companies which may screw the happiness of both these groups, so all you know - these various taxi unions may actuall gang up against this.

PS: I noticed this in Kerala. Now there is a small village, which has basically two important road junctions. These two road junctions are maximum 1 1/2 km away. In such a tiny place auto rickshaw drivers have formed groups, and decided which vehicles can park at which junction. They have a unique numbering system (no the regn. #) telling which rickshaw can work from which junction. And mind you in such a small village (a Village Panchayat, not even a town) there were around 10 rickshaws waiting in queue at both the junctions. So a sizeable youth in this village is relying on these auto rickshaws to make a living, and they really don't want others to disrupt that.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2015, 14:44   #531
BHPian

We can make numerous arguments for and against what is happening in Ladakh and other tourist destinations. Just because such a stupid, undocumented, unregulated self made law exists elsewhere, doesn't make it ok for it to be forcefully implemented. It's plain and downright undemocratic.
Gentle Giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2015, 17:19   #532
Senior - BHPian

During my last weeks trip to Leh and Srinagar we discussed this issue with Srinagar taxi driver. Our question was how did they allow Leh taxi union to come up with a ban of other region taxis (even taxi's from Srinagar which is in same state).

However, from what the Srinagar taxi driver mentioned. They are not much worried about the ban on doing local Leh sight seeing. They are happy as long as Srinagar - Leh is business is not stopped.

As per him, in case Leh union blocks Srinagar - Leh business, they will block Leh taxi drivers coming over to Srinagar (airport).
mpksuhas is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2015, 08:47   #533
BHPian

Me and my family have been avid tourists to Himalayas since the days of Ambassadors with overloaded carriers labouring along winding slopes of Mussoorie/Shimla in 60's and early 70's. Then i trekked extensively in Ladhakh, Kashmir, Uttranchal in 80's with college chums.

Now i see all "hill stations" as "filth stations" with locals always ready to make a fast buck off the the tourist. About the infrastructure, especially roads, the less said is better.

So we (our family and few of our friends) have made a point to skip any tourist 'destination' within India for rest of our lives. Make more money and have vacations abroad. Period.

Last edited by Eddy : 23rd August 2015 at 09:47. Reason: Removing political references.
DwarkaDelhiWala is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2015, 22:53   #534
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarkaDelhiWala View Post
Me and my family have been avid tourists to Himalayas since the days of Ambassadors with overloaded carriers labouring along winding slopes of Mussoorie/Shimla in 60's and early 70's. Then i trekked extensively in Ladhakh, Kashmir, Uttranchal in 80's with college chums.

Now i see all "hill stations" as "filth stations" with locals always ready to make a fast buck off the the tourist. About the infrastructure, especially roads, the less said is better.

So we (our family and few of our friends) have made a point to skip any tourist 'destination' within India for rest of our lives. Make more money and have vacations abroad. Period.
You nailed it - this is the biggest risk Ladakh et al face if they let the rowdies in the unions loose.

A vacation at a nice place in Goa or kerala is not much cheaper than Thailand or Malaysia, esp with the international LCCs.

That is the single reason I have not been able to go back to Ladakh since 2007 - you only get one vacation of two weeks every year, and Thailand / Malaysia have won in our personal order. Even last year, from Chennai, we almost went to Sri Lanka over Kerala before work intervened.
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 15:56   #535
Senior - BHPian

Dear Friends,

The Writ Petition is filed today at the High Court of Jammu & Kashmir.

The first hearing is tomorrow after lunch.

Waseem.....

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3788612
SILVERWOOD is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2015, 10:19   #536
Senior - BHPian

Dear Friends,

Our Writ Petition was heard yesterday and we got very good hearing.

More details are mentioned here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3789609

Waseem.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 11:22   #537
Senior - BHPian

Dear Friends,

We have received the interim order from the High Court Of Jammu & Kashmir.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3793398

Waseem
Attached Thumbnails
Car convoy attacked in Ladakh by taxi mafia!-io.jpg  

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 4th September 2015 at 11:24.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 12:46   #538
Senior - BHPian

But the ÷wn private veh´cles were never an issue, were they?
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 14:54   #539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
But the ÷wn private veh´cles were never an issue, were they?
Banning self driven rentals was the first step.

Please read this article.

Waseem.....
Attached Images

SILVERWOOD is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 22:13   #540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Banning self driven rentals was the first step.

Please read this article.

Waseem.....
Please tell me this is a bad dream. Fragile environment is being slaughtered by their local smoke chimney excuse of vehicles. But the article starts with the line " even with national permit" which tends to give an impression that its the taxis's they are talking about. But your efforts are praiseworthy and atleast it gives an impression of a new Indian who has had enough and who is now not afraid to stand up for his rights. Kudos to you.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote