Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 25th November 2015, 09:56   #76
BHPian

Default re: Rash driving case fabricated against me by Pune Police & RTO *UPDATE: declared Not Guilty!*

on the topic of harassment by Pune police, found this report of a similar case in Pune reported by Motorbeam

http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/11/gen...reaking-rules/
i_see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2015, 10:25   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Rash driving case fabricated against me by Pune Police & RTO *UPDATE: declared Not Guilty!*

I sometimes feel that the RTO and Police are licensed beggars at the head of the queue. It is almost impossible to get anything done in the RTO without either paying Lube Money ar wasting a lot of time. I hope with the GST they will also centralise the records (I hear the are already computerised and linked) and enable us to make changes on-line. Only today I hard that even after Aadhar many places are asking for additional photo id's. Why? ?
sgiitk is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2016, 23:57   #78
BHPian

After being released on Bail, Hiring a Good lawyer (Really Really Important), Paying the Court of law numerous visits, watching and hearing many other case arguments in front of me and realising what a difficult task it may be to be a Judge, Finally My case has been resolved. Thanks to the Almighty that within a year and 3 months, my case has been closed. Not Guilty. But I have learnt my lesson. Stay as far as possible from all govt authorities. They DO mis use their powers. Stay away and just do your own thing.

Cheers guys.
stuntfreak is offline   (25) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 00:58   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntfreak View Post
....Finally My case has been resolved. Thanks to the Almighty that within a year and 3 months, my case has been closed. Not Guilty...
Congrats! You made no mistake and you won finally. Could you please narrate everything to us from your last post please? You have a weekend coming and you might be able to spare a couple of hours for the sake of common people like us who gets bullied (just like you) and who needs a strong inspiring story of justice prevailing.

The reason why am asking is, there will be quite a few points which would have proved your innocence and those will definitely help anyone who may be going through a similar pain. I also hope the erring officials were properly reprimanded so they wouldn't try this on any other poor souls.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 2nd December 2016 at 01:00.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 06:19   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to the Almighty that within a year and 3 months, my Not Guilty. But I have learnt my lesson. Stay as far as possible from all govt authorities. They DO mis use their powers. Stay away and just do your own thing
Phew, once more the govt. authorities managed to fleece someone!
BTW, what was the action taken against the cops by the court? Since you are proven 'Not Guilty', that means they are guilty of causing mental agony to you. They deserve to be challaned and punished, you pursued this point?
Normally cops don't wave such cars to stop (for them even San Storm is also a super car), seems more of a frustrated team doing this to you.
My personal experience says, "cops are always right". Smile at them and tell them to make the adjustments with some buttering. Don't argue and you stand a chance to be Left after 5 minutes of fun. And if you are in a mood of argument then do it such a way that public around will grab your attention. Cops normally avoid the situation where someone humiliate them in front of hundreds of people, they know that no one likes them.

Dash Cam
If you have a dash cam, never ever tell the cops that you have one. My relative did the same mistake after getting into argument with cops. He ended up saying "there is a camera in the car, I have the footage", after hitting a phantom police motorcycle.
They took the cam out of the car, took him to station and started the procedure of seizing the car, camera, mobile phone and documents. What reason they gave? "This man drives in all the areas with a camera recording security arrangements, road maps and traffic situation. Chances of criminal or terrorist body connections". Anyhow, he managed to call me from somebody's phone, I reached the station, talked to them, made them talk to their officials and left the place.

Moral:
Even if you have a dash cam, don't act over smart. Being smart is enough. First of all pass the recording to your mobile phone, then share with some friend, then tell the cops that you have a dash cam. Do it all sitting in the police station because if you try this roadside then they will first of all kill the evidence against them. When they know that footage has reached the third person, they will try to threaten you but if you take a strong stand; you are free for sure.
Dash cam is a proof against the convict, and it is important to keep your dash cam safe in the event of an accident, cop misbehaviour etc. In case of accident too, if it's a local party who is the victim and you are an outsider. There is a good chance that the mob will even go to the limits of thrashing you to get the camera into their hands so that they can destroy it or take the memory card out.
VKumar is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 06:58   #81
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Rash driving case fabricated against me by Pune Police & RTO *UPDATE: declared Not Guilty!*

Quote:
After being released on Bail, Hiring a Good lawyer (Really Really Important), Paying the Court of law numerous visits, watching and hearing many other case arguments in front of me and realising what a difficult task it may be to be a Judge, Finally My case has been resolved. Thanks to the Almighty that within a year and 3 months, my case has been closed. Not Guilty.
Congratulations! You fought the good fight and won.

Quote:
But I have learnt my lesson. Stay as far as possible from all govt authorities. They DO mis use their powers. Stay away and just do your own thing.

Cheers guys.
I can appreciate your sentiment but would urge you to keep the faith. Like every system our law and order system is made up of good eggs and bad eggs. You unfortunately came up against the worst. But do remember that you were declared Not Guilty by the same system so maybe a wary trust is what's called for

Do post some more details about the court proceedings and how you proved your innocence to the judge. Am sure everyone who is watching this thread will benefit!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 08:37   #82
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Rash driving case fabricated against me by Pune Police & RTO *UPDATE: declared Not Guilty!*

Quote:
Finally My case has been resolved. Thanks to the Almighty that within a year and 3 months, my case has been closed. Not Guilty.
Glad this got solved after a long wait. Quite a pain to reserve days for court hearings & mess up rest of schedule.
Do cops face a case registered against them now or court case was only to judge rash driving?
sukiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 09:48   #83
Senior - BHPian

Oh man I can't believe the ordeal you had to go through and for this long for something that you did not do! For a country with the ambitions of becoming a superpower, this is downright disturbing. I thought in the age of mobile phones and facebook this would not be possible. Now that you have been declared not guilty, let us pursue it further by sharing these on our timelines and make sure the so called cops, the guardians of the law, feel the force of the law onto themselves.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 11:16   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow. Hats off to your persistence with it. What happens in such cases where you are proved not guilty? Were you awarded a compensation for all the troubles? And if you are not guilty then doesn't it follow that the cops fabricated the whole case and will now face prosecution? Also who bears the legal fees cost and cost of the lawyer for all these hearings?
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 11:31   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After being released on Bail, Hiring a Good lawyer (Really Really Important), Paying the Court of law numerous visits, watching and hearing many other case arguments in front of me and realising what a difficult task it may be to be a Judge, Finally My case has been resolved. Thanks to the Almighty that within a year and 3 months, my case has been closed. Not Guilty. But I have learnt my lesson. Stay as far as possible from all govt authorities. They DO mis use their powers. Stay away and just do your own thing.

Cheers guys.
Hearty congratulations, glad to note all has ended well. Please do share your experience on the forum which would really benefit many if one gets stuck in a similar situation.
Agreed on the last point.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 2nd December 2016 at 11:35.
rakesh_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016, 19:20   #86
BHPian

Congratulations mate! Glad to know you got through this long fight with pride! Truth can be hidden but not for long.

I was in a similar situation a few months back when I got stopped by a police offer at around 11 in the night in Rohini at a red light. He takes my license and RC and allegedly accuses me of rash driving and said he already had info on me by fellow officers. He said I can *pay him off* or he'll cut a challan, after explaining that I've done nothing wrong and banging my head on the wall, I happily oblige to go ahead and cut whatever challan he has to so I can get over with and the mister furiously declines.
I was with my girlfriend and he even started misbehaving with her and inappropriately touching, telling to get out of the car, needless to say, I lost my temper and engaged into an argument which led me to hit him, a few moments later I'm behind bars and he's asking me to pay 1 lakh to get off else he'll press serious charges against me. He wasn't allowing me to contact anyone neither letting my girlfriend leave, eventually, I threatened if he doesn't allow her to leave she'll file a case for sexual harassment on him. So, he let her off. She immediately contacted my dad as I told her to as DCP of crime is a real close friend of his. After spending about 4 hours behind bars and at around 5 in the morning, my dad and DCP arrives and I'm out of there in a matter of time as DCP really hit hard on his nerve. I did not file any charges against him as the DCP advised. Although the damage was done, in my mind I was a person who spent 5 hours behind bars, my reputation was pretty much ruined in my eyes.

Now what I did was wrong, I shouldn't have lost my cool and hit him, but then again, these so called corrupt officers, to earn money, can do anything to you. This incident has left me shattered thinking in what country am I actually living in and instead of relying on these police officers to help us, it's the complete opposite.
Lesson learned, stay away from the so-called government servants, they consider themselves superior compared to the rest of the public.
Ruchir031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016, 21:53   #87
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Rash driving case fabricated against me by Pune Police & RTO *UPDATE: declared Not Guilty!*

Quote:
Stay as far as possible from all govt authorities. They DO mis use their powers. Stay away and just do your own thing.
As much as we would not like to accept that fact, but yes, it is the hard truth. Really glad that you got this case resolved in not so much of time.
I recall my experiences with these cops. If you can handle it with a small amount and less time, go for it. Getting into intricate details and explaining the truth to them, how much ever politely, they will always take it in a wrong manner and it ultimately comes down on us.

Cheers.
Luv_Jaiswal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2016, 07:41   #88
BHPian

Default Rash driving case fabricated against me by Pune Police & RTO *UPDATE: declare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchir031 View Post

I shouldn't have lost my cool and hit him, but then again, these so called corrupt officers, to earn money, can do anything to you. This incident has left me shattered thinking in what country am I actually living in

May be off topic compared to the Original Post but physical assault on a cop would have landed you in jail for years in most countries. In the US, you would probably have been shot or perhaps even killed.

While I do agree that our cops are corrupt, the fact is that most of us upper middle class or rich Indians deal with constables in particular in a very high handed manner, secure in the knowledge that our connections will get us out of trouble. By and large, my experience with cops has been that talking to them politely helps. Cops often misuse their power when you hurt their ego with rude talk. Just think about it - would you ever talk in that tone if a cop pulled you over on a US highway?

Glad to know that the Original Poster was able to fight the case and win - gives us faith in the judicial system.
Hayek is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2016, 08:52   #89
BHPian

Default Re: Rash driving case fabricated against me by Pune Police & RTO *UPDATE: declare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
While I do agree that our cops are corrupt, the fact is that most of us upper middle class or rich Indians deal with constables in particular in a very high handed manner, secure in the knowledge that our connections will get us out of trouble. By and large, my experience with cops has been that talking to them politely helps. Cops often misuse their power when you hurt their ego with rude talk. Just think about it - would you ever talk in that tone if a cop pulled you over on a US highway?
I never raised my voice a bit and was very practically talking to him, the way we should with a cop. As I mentioned he wanted me to pay him off or cut a challan, when he wasn't ready to agree I wasn't at fault and I said cut the challan, he refuses. I still had no anger or anything till the moment he started messing with the female.
I have a fair share amount of experience in the US when I've been pulled over, for checking purposes. They talk to you in a very friendly manner, hell, you can even talk to them about what they're up to for the day or if the job annoys them, something I'd not dare to do in India, not in Delhi for sure.

I agree losing temper was my fault, I apologized even after leaving the station, but I'm sure when a female is involved and being harrassed by these male officers, you've got to take an action. I sincerely asked him not to involve/trouble her, but he didn't bother to listen and even starting touching her, only then it was when I hit him.
Ruchir031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 12:44   #90
BHPian

I had a similar experience few months back. I was at this junction which is a big one between the signals because of a small garden kind island in between (no it's not a roundabout) and the the road forks around the island. Attaching a pic to explain more clearly-

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  75.3 KB

So I reach this signal at point A and leave it as it is green. As soon as I leave it, it turns yellow and immediately at point B, the bikers in lane next to the island start moving stopping the traffic in my lane, even though its not yet green for them. Me and another car in front of me get caught in it. The guy in front cleverly, takes a right and mingles with the traffic and moves away while I am caught in a sea of two wheelers in the front and back with almost no way to move out of way. Lot of honking follows as well.

Once the peak traffic from that lane moves, I reverse to Point A in an attempt to avoid causing inconvenience to the next 2 lanes of traffic. Just as I get back to point A, a cop comes running and asks for my license. I give it to him and he tell me that cant I wait for the signal to turn green and not cause inconvenience to the other motorists? I replied saying that I left when the signal was green, forget being yellow and it was the bikers from the other lane who actually blocked my path and even the car in front of me. He says, the other car is gone but am stuck causing a jam, and I replied saying that maybe he wanted to go the other way or maybe he too had no choice.

Same routine, he asks me to take the car ahead and to park in the BRTS lane which I did. He then asks me to come out of the car to the "bade sahab" sitting there (at the far end of the junction) and pay the fine. I replied saying, I have not broken a single rule and will not be paying anything. He again said that I had caused inconvenience to other motorists by breaking the signal. I then asked him to pull over the footage from the CCTV at the junction and check it once and if found guilt, I will pay whatever fine he asks me to.

He did not expect this and said they are not "rich" to put CCTV cameras on the junctions and I said I did not ask him to put but the CCTVs which the corporation had put up. With no choice, he started saying " you educated folks are always like this, acting too smart after breaking a signal.....blah blah..." gave me the license and asked me to go with me still asking him to prove me guilty and take the fine.

Now looking at this incident which the fellow bhpian has gone through, I feel I was lucky not to have gotten into bigger problems and should have paid the fine and left even if it was no fault of mine
centaur is offline   Reply With Quote