Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Closed Thread

Old 6th September 2006, 00:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Crashed Lancer, Occupant dead.

A horrible crash near patel nagar, new delhi. Supposedly the lancer was coming in at high speed in the rain when a dog came in front of it. To avoid it the car hit the payment and somersaulted and got wedged between a tree and a pole. The driver died on the spot.

Old 6th September 2006, 00:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Terrible....
What's happening in the capital? Today we had 3 accident posts from Delhi members. Al these accidents are in and around Delhi

Be careful and drive safe
Old 6th September 2006, 00:18   #3
bhp
BHPian

holy ****......the drivers door A and B pillar have almost reached nr the gearbox.....2 accidents in delhi in which the driver dies on the spot....1st the indigo on the highway and 2nd this.....a crashed car and death all bcoz of a bloody dog and car been driven carelessly at high speeds in the city which is dangerous....

btw car has nice looking 17''
Old 6th September 2006, 00:19   #4
BHPian

that's a really bad accident.
i don't knw why guys drive at really high speeds when its rainining.
the person needs to be driving at a slower speed than the regular when its raining.
the pics show that he must be at a speed of over 100kmph.

thats really sad, may his sole Rest In Peace.
Old 6th September 2006, 00:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Damn that's a horrid crash & I thought the Indigo's was bad. My sympathies to the driver's family.
Old 6th September 2006, 00:35   #6
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Oh not again... Today is just one of the bad days !!
Old 6th September 2006, 01:07   #7
Team-BHP Support

and thats a sterdy lancer we're looking at there, ohc, esteem, other light weights would probably have nothing left if put through a similar crash.
May his soul rest in peace.

manson.
Old 6th September 2006, 01:59   #8
BHPian

That’s a really bad one..its very sad on Delhi roads when it rains here i have seen soo many in the past week and even i was hit by a car coming wrong side in da morning at 6 it was raining and a head on collision both airbags deployed...my new civic (3days old) almost gone will take a months time to repair...when i asked the driver y he was coming wrong side he said i was taking a short cut...!!!! felt like killing him but there was no point the damage was done……
Old 6th September 2006, 02:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Jeez!!!! Thats horrific!!

This is even worse than the Indigo crash. No chance for the driver to make it alive, just look where the steering is!!!!!!!!!!
Old 6th September 2006, 10:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikas Mawandia
That’s a really bad one..its very sad on Delhi roads when it rains here i have seen soo many in the past week and even i was hit by a car coming wrong side in da morning at 6 it was raining and a head on collision both airbags deployed...my new civic (3days old) almost gone will take a months time to repair...when i asked the driver y he was coming wrong side he said i was taking a short cut...!!!! felt like killing him but there was no point the damage was done……
S*** Vikas, sorry to hear about your new car, glad that you escaped without a scratch. It's really crazy the number of drivers who zip down the wrong sides of the road at high speeds. And they are pretty unrepentant most of the time
Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa
Oh not again... Today is just one of the bad days !!
The Lancer one took place over the weekend I think....
Old 6th September 2006, 13:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikas Mawandia
Damn Vikas that's sad to know. Hopefully you escaped without any injuries and sorry to hear about your new car.

Again these incidents highlight the lack of driver training in the country & complete disregard for traffic rules.

Last edited by iraghava : 6th September 2006 at 13:04.
Old 6th September 2006, 13:20   #12
BHPian

when will we start putting safety in the cars before goin in for performance mods? i mean even though the car manufacturers have taken us for a long ride & dont offer a dime in terms of safety, aren't private people coming to market with aftermarket airbags, ABS etc.

may the lancer driver's rest in peace.
Old 6th September 2006, 13:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendhyani
when will we start putting safety in the cars before goin in for performance mods? i mean even though the car manufacturers have taken us for a long ride & dont offer a dime in terms of safety, aren't private people coming to market with aftermarket airbags, ABS etc.
You have noble intentions Naveen but the problem is that Airbags & ABS are complex devices and retro fitting them on existing cars is going to be very difficult. And again the issue would be that would it work when its really needed??

Fitting a turbo or supercharger is common practice nowadays but see you use them everyday and if there are any faults they crop up immediately. Whereas safety is supposed to come in use only once in a blue moon and with retro-fitting there's always a chance that it might fail at the time when it is most desperately needed. Even the best installers of car performance parts would agree that in retro-fitting failures happen & problems crop up there's no denying that and safety is such a vital field you can't afford to have that happening.

And, of course you can't test the stuff by crashing your car for testing purposes can you
Old 6th September 2006, 13:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

OMG! The first pic shows the entire car itself to be twisted! The driver didnt stand a chance.
Though I am a complete dog lover, its better to run into/over the dog than endanger yourself/oncoming traffic/other road users. (No offence meant to animal lovers).
Old 6th September 2006, 13:51   #15
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche
A horrible crash near patel nagar, new delhi. Supposedly the lancer was coming in at high speed in the rain when a dog came in front of it. To avoid it the car hit the payment and somersaulted and got wedged between a tree and a pole. The driver died on the spot.
It was foolish on the part of the Lancer driver to swerve at high speed to avoid a dog. The only thing he could have done was brake and hope for the best. Sad that so many drivers forget basic principles and priorities while driving at high speeds.

Here are a couple of my experiences with stray animals on the highway.

The only time I have ever hit any animal was when a stray dog came running across the road from ahead of another car I was overtaking at about 70-80 kmph, in a 60's model Fiat -- no way I could have seen the dog in advance. I braked hard, hit the dog. It disappeared under my hood, I feared the worst as my car stopped. But then it got up and ran away, limping and howling.

Last year on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway a fox-like animal ran across my car when I was doing about 140 kmph on the right lane and again overtaking. My foot came off the accelerator in a reflex action and went towards the brake, but the animal zipped past the car I was overtaking and my own car at great speed and disappeared into the bushes on the divider before I could react further. In this case my foot actually got stuck under the brake pedal -- otherwise I probably would have braked lightly, but definitely not hard at that speed -- although hitting the animal would also have carried risks of destabilizing the car.

Since then I pay very close attention to the position of my right foot to make sure that it doesn't get entangled under the brake in an emergency. The Santro's odd position of the accelerator was to blame in this instance. While driving normally, my foot was actually reaching out for the accelerator with my heel planted in line with the brake pedal -- so when the emergency happened, the foot went under the brake pedal with the heel remaining planted. Now I keep the heel in line with the accelerator while using it and the foot lifts off to hit the brake pedal when needed. The problem is that after using the brake, the heel tends to settle down in line with the brake pedal and I again tend to lapse into reaching for the accelerator (quite far off from the brake pedal in the Santro) -- this requires conscious correction. These little details matter so much in an emergency and sometimes you are not lucky enough to get a second chance.
Closed Thread