Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 7th September 2006, 12:22   #31
Team-BHP Support

The stuff that works in US doesn't work here. After few months of trying I have adopted the Indian style.

1) I used to yield and I started getting "what a loser" look from the very people I helped. If the yield to one car, it turned into a caravan with people behind me cursing me. Now I yield selectively.

2) The 3 second rule, don't even get me started. Moment I allow some gap, some biker gets in between and slows down, like I don't exist, but I still have to apply brake to my invisible car. I have lost count of the bikers I have saved.

BTW, I have regularly done at 80mph at one car distance on NJ turnpike and GSP (NJ), which is very routine during peak hours. That's less than 1 second reaction time. Things are not perfect even in USA.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 12:36   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
While it is OK to speed up on multilane expressways,
driving through populous areas, calls for extreme caution.

If you are with me on this, let's just move on.

Ram
As you said yourself, lets move on.......all this is conjecture because the part he is referring to cannot be termed as "populous" under any circumstances; nor IMHO can 60 be called "speed"ing.

Bottom line, as you have said is that the Tavera driver was the one at fault. I think we should just leave it at that.......no offense meant
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 13:06   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
Bottom line, as you have said is that the Tavera driver was the one at fault. I think we should just leave it at that.......no offense meant

Yes correct. And look out for ways & means as to how traffic laws can be impressed upon such madcaps like the tavera driver & ensure safety of all.
Safe driving!!!
autozealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 13:40   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autozealot
Yes correct. And look out for ways & means as to how traffic laws can be impressed upon such madcaps like the tavera driver & ensure safety of all.
Safe driving!!!
i think we should get out of our cars & bash the miscreant so that he will be more careful next time. and then he should be reported. often i find that the phone number(Which is given to report rash driving) is delibarately missing one digit.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 03:49   #35
Senior - BHPian

Guys Guys guys!!!!

I think my thred has been hijacked. My main issue was to take a pledge that if you guys ever see this in your company cab just take their happiness off. And please for christ's sake never get in any kind of road rage with these guys these guys are inpired with the worst indian movies and can go to any extent . But guys as said speed is not a constraint still the time you can control your car however is u see some one in front of you, you actually do not have enough time to react even if you are 100 mts appart more over you cannot tell what extent of stupidity the other person can get he can take a voilent left or a voilent right in any case you need to you those breaks real hard and if some one is tail gating you there is no point in considering that possibility. even say we are at 10 kms per hour speed what about the other maniac who is comming at you with flashing high beam at 40 km. Ram no offences to you though but if some body gets into this kinda situation all those driving fundas fail because your mind is busy flashing your entire life in front of you.
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 09:25   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar
Ram no offences to you though but if some body gets into this kinda situation all those driving fundas fail because your mind is busy flashing your entire life in front of you.
with you....most times (unfortunately) the "you should have done this..." comes from the comfort of a padded chair in your office cabin or home; in the real life situation, its a split second you have to make the decision and you could go either way!
Old 8th September 2006, 12:26   #37
BHPian

[quote=pramodkumar] And please for christ's sake never get in any kind of road rage with these guys these guys are inpired with the worst indian movies and can go to any extent .

You are absolutely correct Pramod, but Im sure Suman doesn't mean to encourage violence on the road. Specially on the hi-ways where you have no idea of the oppositie persons nature & his capabilities.
Its probably a way to express ones anger at that point of time, coz I too felt the same about the tavera's driver on reading ur post the first time.
God forbid, but its only after head-on collisions & loss of life & property that such drivers realise what they were doing was wrong. But by then its too late. The only solution to such problems is better law enforcement & educating such careless bas***** which I feel is too big a task.

az

Last edited by autozealot : 8th September 2006 at 12:27.
Old 8th September 2006, 12:50   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autozealot
You are absolutely correct Pramod, but Im sure Suman doesn't mean to encourage violence on the road.
az
Wasn't me advocating a bashing buddy, it was Esteem Lover . Not that I disagree with him!!!
Old 8th September 2006, 13:30   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
Wasn't me advocating a bashing buddy, it was Esteem Lover . Not that I disagree with him!!!

Yes I realise that, apologise for the same. Really, the thought of such asses (like the tavera driver) drives you to anger ..........HAHAHAHA.....
Old 8th September 2006, 13:48   #40
BHPian

Default cab menace

Hi Pramod,

Gud luck saved u. This cab thing at night especially on delhi gurgaon route is becoming a menace. We see so many articles, but no changes. Wish there were more people like you who'd take a stand. Even the cops are in with these transporters. Plus these people have a union and you often hear them bashing up even employees with restraint.Bad scene.

Keep safe,
Cheers..

dMH
da MotorHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 14:13   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
Our country in general and North India in particular lacks proper law enforcement.
Come to Bangalore dude, see how the autos take U-turn, check how the call centre cabbies drive in both direction in the one-ways, and the way BMTC bus drivers drive as if no one else exists on the road when they are driving. You want more, see the autos driving in hyderabad and other places in south.

I mean its same everywhere.
car_whizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 19:28   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Default In defence of a much maligned lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_whizz
... the way BMTC bus drivers drive as if no one else exists on the road when they are driving.
car-whizz, that is more by the auto-guys and two wheelers.

Drive a big vehicle in bangalore city traffic sometime, and you'll know the kind of stress, trouble and problems these guys face. Consider all the factors, and compare that with the number of accidents caused by these drivers - and you can see that they are not what you say. Do a study of other cities if you want to. Come to think of it, when was the last time that you got into a city bus and sat up front with the driver to try see what is it like to drive one of these things?

Karnataka state [rural & urban] bus drivers are some of the best you can get .. Yes, I'm serious.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2006, 00:29   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_whizz
Come to Bangalore dude, see how the autos take U-turn, check how the call centre cabbies drive in both direction in the one-ways, and the way BMTC bus drivers drive as if no one else exists on the road when they are driving.
Think relative. One of my colleague in Bangalore who is originally from Delhi told me that BMTC drivers when compared to Redline bus drivers of Delhi are just "Devata Log hain" This was few years back though.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2006, 14:21   #44
BHPian

Default Not anymore pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Think relative. One of my colleague in Bangalore who is originally from Delhi told me that BMTC drivers when compared to Redline bus drivers of Delhi are just "Devata Log hain" This was few years back though.
I can imagine this maybe 5 years back when the traffic was less. If you would have travelled through bannerghatta road, it was an empty stretch. Buses were less in number and there was road for everyone. Not anymore. I've even driven in Delhi. Bus drivers (in terms of driving) are equally bad. I'm strictly not talking about the verbal abuses etc. I've even have first hand experiences with the "Devta logs" (no offense meant) at both places. There were many instances the recent one being a BMTC bus ripped-off the bonnet of my friend's car while reversing without seeing.

Old 13th September 2006, 20:34   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

CW, would like to hear your comments after you drive a bus, for just one day, in today's traffic.

btw, was the rip while reversing intentional?

I know how many problems I face and the stress that I see when I drive my four-wheeler in today's traffic. Can only imagine what these guys go through. If you can see that traffic today is much more today than it was five years back, you would also be able to see that the problems that one faces also have increased - exponentially.

The points have been off-topic. I know I am in a minority when I support some of the ST guys like the Karnataka & BEST guys. While I will not extend the interaction on this point endlessly, your arguments would hold more water if you had said the same after walking in their shoes - or more appropriately, driving their vehicles from their seats. Atleast to see what they go through - day-in, day-out.

--------------------------------------------------------------
OT & OTLS: reminds me of Joseph Heller. And Catch-22.

"You mean there is a catch?"
"Yes. Catch-22".

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to.

Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22," he observed.
"It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote