Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2016, 17:29   #421
BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days*Edit: website launched for feedback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj2268 View Post
Some pictures of Rajiv ChowkAttachment 1456485

Attachment 1456486

Source:

Fb wall
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Came to post the same but you beat me to it.
God bless the ones who had to suffer this. I will prefer taking a cab instead of becoming a walking sandwich.

Couple of more pics from whatsapp.
There are conflicting reports on the peak hour rush in metros in news and on web. Please do not use random pictures from web without checking authenticity. At least one of them seemed to be an old picture.

http://scroll.in/article/801369/how-...and-supporters

Twitter really exploded with some very funny comments and pictures about "Rajiv Chowk" metro. Here is my favorite.
"Rajiv ji was always a people magnet. We should rename Rajiv Chowk to Rahul Chowk to decongest it."

Last edited by umvarma : 4th January 2016 at 17:43.
umvarma is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 17:50   #422
BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days*Edit: website launched for feedback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
If these pictures are indeed true, I would prefer to walk even a distance of 10Km rather than being part of such a crowd.
In the olden days, it is not very uncommon to walk distances such as 10km - it takes 2 hours or less depending on speed, which these days is very realistic time duration in peak traffic times travelling in car.
Even if you want to walk, the question is, where would you walk, given that the two wheelers are squeezing into all possible gaps till the edge of the roads and pavements.
Good Government has given leaves to kids. For employees nobody is declaring holidays!
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 18:04   #423
BHPian

I go from Rk Puram/Moti Bagh to Supreme Court every day and today seemed like an early Sunday morning drive when I left at 9. The odd even formula will be hated, but it sure does wonders to the congestion which is as big a problem as pollution. Although changes, if any, will be pretty minute after the 15 day period, this move definitely will get the govt to work on its ailing public transport arm and be better equipped to make this directive a long term and more sustainable effort. The rule seems stupid, but the results, even unintended, can be brilliant!
zee_bat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 18:41   #424
BHPian

There is no doubt that there was considerably less congestion on the roads today. A commute between my place and Central Delhi would have normally taken 60-75 minutes. It was relatively a seamless affair today with 40 minutes on one side and 35 minutes on the other. So, at least less congestion can be seen across the city.
Old 4th January 2016, 18:50   #425
Team-BHP Support

Rajiv Chowk doesn't need any external stimuli to be a near-stampede, it's in that state almost perpetually. I'm not a Delhi citizen so haven't had a chance to use the Metro for longer than a couple weeks at a stretch, but there are days when even I've walked out because one can only take so much. Can only sympathize with locals who have no viable alternatives for their daily commutes (includes my own extended family).

I don't blame the government, there are just far too many people for ANYTHING to be effective unless drastic steps are taken. Call me cynical, but that's just fact. WE ARE TOO MANY.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 20:41   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Rajiv Chowk doesn't need any external stimuli to be a near-stampede, it's in that state almost perpetually. I'm not a Delhi citizen so haven't had a chance to use the Metro for longer than a couple weeks at a stretch, but there are days when even I've walked out because one can only take so much. Can only sympathize with locals who have no viable alternatives for their daily commutes (includes my own extended family).

I don't blame the government, there are just far too many people for ANYTHING to be effective unless drastic steps are taken. Call me cynical, but that's just fact. WE ARE TOO MANY.
So is the case with many first world centres, Tokyo for e.g. I don't think the situation at Rajiv Chowk could be any worse.

That is the trade off we face while pursuing our careers at commercial nerve centres. And as far as Delhi is concerned, the metro service needs to be supplemented by beefing up the bus service as well.
hothatchaway is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 05:58   #427
Senior - BHPian

The photo of the metro stations being circulated are indeed old. The government has clarified that too. The facebook/whatsapp champs are out again.

http://scroll.in/article/801369/how-...and-supporters
extreme_torque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 10:44   #428
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, where's my helping of humble pie?
People seem to have taken up the cause, however forced. Moi, fr'instance. Used the metro to get into noida, and then a solo auto who took 200 bucks one way. Cold be damned. To come back, I've asked a colleague to drop me at the nearest metro. Cost 18 bucks.
Metro journey was just 5 stations in toto, so cannot comment on beaning at other points. It used to be more, or less, manageable, and there was no discernible difference.
Last time, I borrowed my sister's CNG santro.

BUT, how many of us are adopting unsustainable measures to get through these 15 days? " saat din hi to manage karna hai."
In my own case, its not sustainable, as I had to put off a couple of new year meet and greets with clients. And, where it costs me 100 bucks worth of diesel/petrol with convenience of a half hour journey, I am spending double that. That in itself is not a bother. Getting out at 8 to get o office by 915 is the issue.
As the business times open up, it'll be even harder to schedule meetings around whether its an odd or even day.

I just hope that as an outcome, there is still a bigger chunk of junta who feel that they have found a better commute.
Fingers crossed.

Last edited by mayankk : 5th January 2016 at 10:45.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 12:02   #429
KAN
BHPian

Is the exemption valid on CNG converted vehicles as opposed to one those are factory fitted? (Typical CNG kit fitment on existing petrol vehicles would probably cost around 40k?)
If yes what is the process of obtaining a valid compliance/certification for such vehicles? I heard that CNG certificates are issued by IGL(or a validating authority) for a period of 3 years. will that suffice on a fitted CNG vehicle?
Not sure how can one check if such the vehicle is running petrol or CNG at any given time?
Subject Matter Experts please advise.
Old 5th January 2016, 12:52   #430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAN View Post
Is the exemption valid on CNG converted vehicles as opposed to one those are factory fitted? (Typical CNG kit fitment on existing petrol vehicles would probably cost around 40k?)
If yes what is the process of obtaining a valid compliance/certification for such vehicles? I heard that CNG certificates are issued by IGL(or a validating authority) for a period of 3 years. will that suffice on a fitted CNG vehicle?
Not sure how can one check if such the vehicle is running petrol or CNG at any given time?
Once you convert your car to CNG through any of the govt. authorized centers, they give you a certificate using which you have to get the "runs on petrol and CNG" part endorsed on your vehicle's registration certificate/smart card.

For the odd even rule, CNG stickers are being issued by IGL pumps which you can paste on your windshield to avoid getting pulled over by cops for non-compliance. Traffic police may very well verify the RC along with this sticker to make sure the vehicle is indeed CNG.
Old 5th January 2016, 13:37   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
BUT, how many of us are adopting unsustainable measures to get through these 15 days? " saat din hi to manage karna hai."
Me! Me! I have to manage for 5 days though, have an even numbered car.

I reached office by 8:15 today morning and would be leaving around 8 in the night, have packed 3 meals to sustain through the day.

My office timings are extremely flexible, usually I worked 6-7 hours per day but would now spend close to 12 hours in office (for these 5 days) so that's one concern but then again, its only for 5 days, that too not consecutively.

If they make a law out of this nuisance I'll simply buy another car because Delhi's weather and state of the art infra & transport doesn't permit folks like me to reach office using public modes and still look (and smell) presentable.

It definitely solves the congestion problem and folks who can afford a second car would buy one adding to the other chronic, parking problem!

EDIT: Just in case anybody is worried if this idiocy becomes a law, don't sweat, India is known for its jugaads and people will figure out sustainable jugaads too!

Last edited by fine69 : 5th January 2016 at 13:40.
fine69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 13:47   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
seeing that this scheme reduces traffic congestion significantly, decides to restart the scheme and let it run for the whole year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post

It definitely solves the congestion problem and folks who can afford a second car would buy one adding to the other chronic, parking problem!
If this scheme continues people will purchase a second vehicle , or a 2-wheeler, to manage their daily commute. Ironically, it's the temporary reduction in congestion that will "ïnspire" folks to purchase a second vehicle.

It's just a matter of time before the congestion builds up to previous levels.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 5th January 2016 at 14:04.
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 13:58   #433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If they make a law out of this nuisance I'll simply buy another car because Delhi's weather and state of the art infra & transport doesn't permit folks like me to reach office using public modes and still look (and smell) presentable.
Hmm. I do wonder how people of Bombay have been managing this exact same feat for decades now with their hot, very very humid, "turn on ac in December" weather (a fact, no exaggeration).

Quote:
EDIT: Just in case anybody is worried if this idiocy becomes a law, don't sweat, India is known for its jugaads and people will figure out sustainable jugaads too!
Yup. It's this mentality that got us so far, hasn't it?

I was a skeptic when I first heard of this plan. While I still maintain that more is required to really battle the pollution, this initiative is at least helping reduce congestion. Well, that's what I'm hearing from my friends and colleagues as I myself have not been able to get out owing to bad health

It's also heartening to see many fellow countrymen rise beyond the jugaad mentality. For instance, some people have pasted flyers on my housing society's notice board with the following details:

Car reg (odd/even)
Contact no
Traveling from - to
Travel timing

And a small note requesting people going in that direction to carpool with him

Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 14:00   #434
BHPian

Sorry for being blunt... I don't want to point fingers or target anyone. I am just giving an example.

If every person in Mumbai (who can afford it) started driving to downtown office from the suburbs there will be a grid lock every single day. I bet half the people wouldn't even reach office by lunch time. And this would have been the case even 20 years back.

We grew up using BEST/Cab/Rick and most importantly Local trains. There was no metro till about 3-4 years back. Its in our DNA

I still can't understand why is it such a big deal for people to just switch to Public transport, that too for half the number of days.

Delhi is relatively flat terrain, I would even recommend cycling to those who travel 20 km one way and have the physical ability to give it a try.

And no, I am not a supported of this stupid odd-even plan. It is just way to complicated to implement with all the stupid exemption list.

And here I am in Pune desperately wanting to use bus, but can't do it. The bus routes are useless for my commute. Takes me 30 mins on a cycle/car and 1 hour by bus (no direct route). Sigh.
freedom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 14:11   #435
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Sorry for being blunt... I don't want to point fingers or target anyone. I am just giving an example.
And here I am in Pune desperately wanting to use bus, but can't do it. The bus routes are useless for my commute. Takes me 30 mins on a cycle/car and 1 hour by bus (no direct route). Sigh.
Same thing here in Delhi. Many people want to use public transport, but, cannot due to the same reasons. Not pointing any fingers, just saying.
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed