Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: Do you want odd-even policy to continue in Delhi beyond the Jan 15th deadline?
Yes, I can feel the oxygen in the air for a change 14 7.14%
Yes, travel is a breeze 86 43.88%
No, highly inconvenienced on days I cannot take my car out 63 32.14%
No, nothing changed - I continue to take pills for my allergies/asthama! 33 16.84%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th January 2016, 16:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Poll: Do you want the odd-even policy to continue? Only NCR BHPians please!

***Not an NCR resident so not voted, but have affected extended family there***

We'd probably get a fairer picture if we polled people actually affected by the rule, not everyone in NCR. There are plenty who are reaping the benefits but aren't really affected (own multiple vehicles or have good public transport coverage for their commuting needs).

Anyone with two usable cars and/or living along a Metro route would be (and probably is) chuffed to bits!
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 16:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Red face re: Poll: Do you want the odd-even policy to continue? Only NCR BHPians please!

It's good to see an initiative getting such a response both from the authorities as well as the public. But did this initiative address the actual issue of reducing the pollution? Was any study done to analyze whether vehicles are the biggest contributor to the pollution issue? Did the govt also take some stringent steps to reduce the polluting industries in and around NCR?

There was a report in the newspapers that pollution levels have dropped by a whopping 30% which I would not agree to. Is this going to end as a political gimmick which will then be used as leverage for other political benefits?
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 17:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Poll: Do you want the odd-even policy to continue? Only NCR BHPians please!

Why can't we see the results of the poll unless we vote?

@Chetan_Rao:
"if we polled people actually affected by the rule, not everyone in NCR"
why shouldn't a person using the office bus vote on this? Isn't he stuck in traffic jams in his normal daily commute mainly because of a plethora of single occupied cars on this was to office/home?

Let him speak out if he has seen the benefit of having less traffic on the road.
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 17:44   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Why can't we see the results of the poll unless we vote?
Oh, I didn't realize non-voters don't get to see. This is my first thread/poll, please excuse my ignorance.

I don't know if I can edit or modify the poll. Let me check. If anyone can help me with that or point me to a FAQ or article, that will be great.

If the poll cannot be altered to let non-voters to see, the workaround could be to add one more voting option:
"Not from NCR, I am here to see the results"

EDIT: Mods, I don't seem to have access to modify the poll. Can you please help?

Last edited by chakri400 : 8th January 2016 at 17:48.
chakri400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 17:53   #20
BHPian

Looks like i am the first one to vote for option 1.

My office is bang opposite the New Delhi Railway Station (the building with the Airport Express Metro and parking) and there has been a marked difference in not only the traffic but the air around the office space as well. I never drive with my windows rolled down (makes me want to throw up) but i have done so while driving to work at 915am 2 days this week.

Yes, this cant be the only measure and various other steps are needed.

But as one of the first steps in the right direction, its good!

Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 18:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
[/i]why shouldn't a person using the office bus vote on this?
And where did I say that? You interpreted the exact opposite of what I meant.

I just opined there are people who are enjoying the reduced congestion by driving all days because they can afford to (they would probably have driven all days anyway, but it's better for them now), while others who live in the middle of nowhere (w.r.t. public transport options) are being inconvenienced by a lack of viable options.

You think someone with two usable cars getting to drive on less congested roads daily will ever vote against the initiative? How is such a person affected by the ruling, except getting a better driving experience at the expense of others' hardship? That's all I meant by probably getting a fairer picture. Keywords, probably & fairer.

P.S. It would also be great to know how many people not restricted by the ruling are contributing to reducing congestion further by offering a ride to others in their circle. Now what would a seriously good thing!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th January 2016 at 18:29. Reason: Rephrasing
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 19:33   #22
BHPian

Meanwhile, here are the results so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Poll: Do you want the odd-even policy to continue? Only NCR BHPians please!-poll-results-8jan.png  

chakri400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 19:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

Voted Yes - for easy travel around the city and not because it has affected pollution so far. I am at a loss of words on how some people expect the pollution to drop drastically within a week when we have killed the air quality for so many years.

There is less congestion on the route i drive and i save 20 minutes every day, the added convenience of not getting stuck in horrible bottlenecks and kill your left leg contribute to a good quality of living.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 20:22   #24
BANNED

Voted No. Highly inconvenienced on days I cannot take my car out.

We have only 1 car at home which is odd numbered. Dad has to leave with a cousin much earlier and come back much later on the odd days which is tiring him out even more. And there is no public transportation connection from home to work.

As I had mentioned on another thread, the only people who are happy are the ones who have an odd and an even numbered car in their households. Traffic has only eased out at some areas does not mean the whole city has benefited. Traffic from Gurgaon to Delhi is still nothing less than hell and well, the pollution hasn't gone down as such. So honestly, I do not see any benefit. There has to be some rethinking done.
kisharchit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 21:09   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Voted -------snip--- living.
How are you managing when your car is off the road??
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 21:55   #26
BHPian

Voted - #3 --> I have One car and its Odd, and I travel from Indirapuram, Ghaziabad to Gurgaon for work. Though Bike is convenient for me, but if it rains or is too cold then I would want to be in my car. Which I cannot as 2000Rs is too much a challan.

Last edited by GTO : 9th January 2016 at 13:42. Reason: Typo
Shivanshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 22:25   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Well as a Delhiite needing to travel 70 kms daily to Gurgaon, I can vouch for the fact that traffic has definitely reduced by a significant margin. There isn't any significant difference in the air, possibly because of the fact that private vehicles were never the real or biggest contributors to this pollution. Few things that I noted were:

1. People followed the rule only due to the high challan amount. Post 6 PM when it gets dark, you can see all cars on the road as most people feel safe after dark even though the rule is applicable till 8 PM.

2. If they continue with this rule for more time, then people will slowly start maintaining a second car or start using Fake CNG stickers.

3. A small number of people who are forced to use carpooling these days, may actually see the merits or the same or find it not to be that inconvenient. They might continue to use it.

4. The govt. should learn a vital lesson from this and increase all challan amounts so that the fine becomes relevant in today's terms. A fine of Rs. 100 for parking in " no parking" zone might sometimes work out to be less than what you pay at the mall for the parking. 2000 should be made the base amount of any fine.

5. This rule has atleast successfully made everyone feel that pollution is a problem that needs immediate answers. So they need to really start working towards an accepted solution.

Last edited by GTO : 9th January 2016 at 13:42. Reason: Typo
drmohitg is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 22:50   #28
BHPian

Thank you for creating this poll. Just voted. I support the odd even rule one hundred percent.

Having recently moved to Delhi 2 years ago I have been really struggling with the air quality in Delhi. I'm glad that the media woke up this year and forced this government into some action.

I know a bit of the inside story for Delhi first hand because I had been involved in implementation of systems related to UN's Kyoto protocol in Asia Pacific countries since 2006. Even made a trip back then related to an emissions control project and met some bureaucrats. All I want to share is that previous administrations have deliberately and systematically ignored friendly advise and offers of help from nations, agencies like the UN, other global pollution watchdogs for more than a decade!

So although I'm not into politics leave alone be an AK supporter, I think this step deserves due credit.

Lastly, I'm more bothered about indoor air quality and my family's health so have several measures in place to fight it as best as I can.

One of the items in use at my home is an IoT device which measures PM2.5, VOCs and CO2 levels in real time.

I live in a known pollution hotspot of Delhi and I can share as of now is that there has been a significant improvement in VOC and CO2 readings since last week, which otherwise used to start peaking and going into unhealthy range in the evenings.

I have not noticed any meaningful drop in indoor PM2.5 levels compared to December, but that could be attributed to several factors.
outofthebox is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 23:43   #29
BHPian

No. voted #3, I have an even numbered car and lack of connectivity makes commuting to office difficult on odd days. I'll have to do 8 to 8 on next week's odd dates.

I agree congestion has reduced and driving is a breeze, at least in mornings. But then decreased congestion was always going to be a by-product of this policy. And from what I have read it has not really solved the problem it was intended for. Plus I'm not too happy to see government making claims around their effective governance and stuff, just because people in general complied with the policy.

Since extension seems to be on cards, I'd say exempting Saturday as well will give some respite with regards to managing personal work.

Last edited by lordvader : 8th January 2016 at 23:44.
lordvader is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2016, 06:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

Voted for travel is a breeze. However, not able to find significant impact in pollution, may be due to my office and work location.

The impact on traffic is very clearly visible. Staying close to metro and office also close to metro station, always have an option to fall back on Metro when required.

I see Dust as one of the biggest contributor of pollution in Delhi. Its always floating due to heavy rush of vehicles, its always in the air. Some areas like Anand Vihar are heavily polluted not only due to industries, but also due to heavy dust there. ISBT bus stand broken roads, buses running through them all day, means dust is too busy to settle and is always in the air. Plus heavy traffic and people there. If ISBT Anand Vihar can be made like Koyambedu, Chennai (one of the biggest bus stand in Asia), it will help a lot for the dust to become invisible in that area.

Not only public transportation infrastructure, but also real infrastructure needs to be made better for pollution levels to come down. Slapping people with heavy fines is a shortcut to tax those people who are already being punished with several taxes like petrol cess, road tax, tolls, excise duty on fuel and is stuck in bad traffic due to bad planning by administrators. Administrators should look at poor citizens as those effected by all these things instead of punishing these very people.

The roads such as Shanti Path, India Gate area doesn't come as heavily polluted despite very high volume of vehicle throughout the day, why ?
Because, its virtually dust free and green. Why cant same infrastructure be made at places like Anand Vihar (which is broadcasted throughout the day as dangerously high polluted place).

While the initiative is good and is welcome, however, the problem lies somewhere else and needs to be addressed there to get better results rather than make people suffer who would have different requirements for travel.

Last edited by tanwaramit : 9th January 2016 at 06:47.
tanwaramit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote