Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: Do you want odd-even policy to continue in Delhi beyond the Jan 15th deadline?
Yes, I can feel the oxygen in the air for a change 14 7.14%
Yes, travel is a breeze 86 43.88%
No, highly inconvenienced on days I cannot take my car out 63 32.14%
No, nothing changed - I continue to take pills for my allergies/asthama! 33 16.84%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th January 2016, 09:07   #1
BHPian

Default Poll: Do you want the odd-even policy to continue? Only NCR BHPians please!

VOTE ONLY IF you are from NCR region and/or have experienced odd-even policy

If you are from NCR, you need no introduction to odd-even policy and the current status. It has been a week, it may or may not be enough to judge if this policy is a success.

There are quite a few polls already either announcing success or failure (not sure who to trust).
Here is one from TOI (Courtesy extreme_torque): http://m.timesofindia.com/city/delhi...n=TOIDelhiNews

As a team-bhpian, I trust my fellow team-bhpians more than anyone else for their honest and intelligent judgement. I am sure, you do too. So, without much further ado, let's vote and see what team-bhpians want this policy to continue beyond Jan 15th
chakri400 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 09:33   #2
BHPian

Well I cannot vote right now since I am posting this from the mobile app, but having experienced it, I would say for sure that it should continue.

All the people are saying is that congestion has decreased, hence people want it to continue, but they ignore that by decreasing congestion all the idle times of vehicles all over NCR also go down, as do the emissions.

Both of these things go hand in hand. Although there should be a couple of more things added in tandem.

1) All the cabs to convert to CNG.

2) All car purchases to require submission of a proof of covered parking available for that vehicle, which will act as a major deterrent to car purchases.

3) The RTO's of all other NCR cities also adopt the way of Delhi RTO and forbid selection of registration numbers.

4) Make better last mile connectivity to and from the Metro stations.

5) The vacuuming of roads to not be limited to just the PWD roads.

6) Lastly, ensure that Truck and Bus breakdowns that cause long traffic snarls are heavily penalised to the point that the owner does make sure that the other vehicles are in perfect health.
akhil994 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 09:55   #3
BHPian

Default re: Poll: Do you want the odd-even policy to continue? Only NCR BHPians please!

Though not in Delhi, I would not want to see this continue, unless the data pertaining to the drop in pollution has been validated by an independent and scientific body. Also let them publish a white paper on the contributors to the pollution, irrespective of the entity and sector.

It now sets a bad precedents for other cities, take it as a quick route, to be seen as green.
raghu.t.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 10:41   #4
BHPian

Default re: Poll: Do you want the odd-even policy to continue? Only NCR BHPians please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Though not in Delhi, I would not want to see this continue, unless the data pertaining to the drop in pollution has been validated by an independent and scientific body. Also let them publish a white paper on the contributors to the pollution, irrespective of the entity and sector.

It now sets a bad precedents for other cities, take it as a quick route, to be seen as green.
I agree, I am not from Delhi too and I am interested in the Delhi results, decision as there are talks about using the same to replicate in Bangalore - here is a team-bhp thread on the same.

after-delhi-bangalore-adopt-odd-even-system
chakri400 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 10:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Frankly, I am not sure. Not voted yet. There are two sides to this decision.

The people I speak to all praise the lesser congestion and how travel is a breeze. These same people then go on to say, maybe, I will have to get a CNG Wagon R now if this becomes permanent. Soon the congestion will be back. Only difference being, we will probably be burning CNG then. Same traffic and long queues at the gas stations will be back.

Until the public transport improves by leaps and bounds, people will not leave personal transport. And it does not need to improve overnight. Make a plan for the next 5 years. The condition of Delhi's air did not come to this point in a day. It is thus, how do I put it, foolish, to try to curb it in a week or two.
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 10:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

I am not in NCR and hence not voting. My feeling is that, over a period of time things will be back to worse as there would be many people getting access to a second car. There would be an increased number of violators of this rule when cops become more complacent as the days progress.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 10:57   #7
Team-BHP Support

I want this scheme to continue solely because of the fact that it has reduced road congestion.

We may never really know its impact on pollution (surveys will be rigged politically, impact of other environmental factors etc) but surely reduced congestion will be beneficial in some shape or other.

PS: I have three cars at home - 1 odd and 2 even. Me and my wife have adjusted our work timings to ensure that we travel together for the past 8 years so I haven't faced a lot of inconvenience except that I have postponed the decision to sell off the odd numbered car.
Eddy is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 11:18   #8
BHPian

I also want this scheme to continue, and rather, be expanded further, to include all of NCR.

However, to ease the inconvenience that commuters frequently face, there needs to be an Online/App based/Kiosk based mechanism to submit an extra-ordinary or emergency usage charge. This shouldn't be as steep as the fine, but steep enough to discourage everyday use.

HOWEVER, this shouldn't be the ONLY measure!

There needs to be better controls on Fuel quality in all of NCR, Commercial vehicle movement, aggressive promotion of Electric vehicles (with the corresponding infrastructure), financial or privilege based rewards for encouraging Car-Pooling, further financial disincentives to ownership of Fossil Fuel vehicles, in addition to rapidly strengthening the Public Transport systems.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 15:39   #9
BHPian

In my opinion, Odd-Even policy can never last very long. It is a nightmare to implement and lot of man-hours will be lost just for the sake of implementing this policy.

There should be a comprehensive policy of transportation in all cities. Public transport is the best bet and is a time tested method to move people.

However, in India it will take many years to match up the infrastructure so that people will take to public transport.

So, we need some innovative solutions. Some of the ideas for Delhi could be ...

1. Introduce Car-Pooling. Govt. can formulate some policy on this to ensure security of drivers and riders.
2. Privatize mass transport. Let private companies introduce smaller buses and let them run the transport system.
3. Why not introduce TRAMS in Delhi?
4. Introduce more Cycle-Rickshaws. It is a very clean and safe mode of transport.
5. Tax people more if they opt for second or third vehicles for personal use.
6. Increase cost of Fuel (especially Diesel) within Delhi region, so that people will stop using it more frequently.
7. Increase the coverage of the Metro.

Good roads and connectivity is of course the primary system which needs to be kept well oiled.
sukhoi30 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 16:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

I thought the options were ambiguous at first. But as the votes have come in, salute to coming up with those.
Clearly NO-ONE thinks as of now, that its has done anything to help with the pollution.
Odd-even needs to be scrapped and other actions to be taken by the govt.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 16:27   #11

I think the policy should be scrapped and better methods need to be looked at to control congestion and pollution both. Restrictions on petrol and diesel cars will only result in the increase of CNG cars which will in turn cause the same congestion which is present now and will also cause a parking problem across various residential areas.
bking is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 16:28   #12
BHPian

So, the Govt. has told the Court that they might extend this. Was T-BHP poll referred by the Govt. :-)

Odd-even-rule-may-be-extended-15-days-not-enough-to-know-effect-AAP-govt-to-court
sukhoi30 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 16:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for creating this poll. It will really help understand whether the people actually affected by both the pollution and the resultant odd even formula support these initiatives based on their experiences on the ground. So far, we have only heard opinions from political parties and not really from genuine folks residing in NCR. Will be following the poll results closely.

My personal opinion is that we need to move to a more sustainable public transport system, since there are way too many cars on the road, and most of them are with a single occupant. Of course, I'm guilty of the same, simply because there is no comfortable means of public transportation from my home to my workplace as of now.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 16:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Yes, travel is a breeze means either...

I have 2 cars

or

I have great last-mile connectivity via public transport so the days I can take my car out becomes a bonus

I'd be very curious (honestly) to know if there is another reason except the ones mentioned above because we all know that its impact on pollution is a joke.
fine69 is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 16:41   #15
BHPian

Clearly, the results do indicate that people are supporting it because of 'reduced congestion'. Pollution, as a factor, has taken a back seat.

However, there are so many people out there who are waiting to take the next step i.e. buy the second car if this was to stretch beyond 15 days.

Do read about the Bogota experiment wherein odd-even was a success during initial months and the congestion and pollution levels became worse-off due to the fact:

a) that more old vehicles were bought to circumvent the ban
b) the number of vehicles on the road went back to the same levels within 6 months of the policy being implemented, resulting in similar congestion/pollution.

So, as a short term measure, this could succeed. However, eventually, people who cannot do away with their cars for a variety of reasons will buy 2nd hand cars or the likes of Kwids.
rdhawan15 is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote