Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 4th February 2016, 11:55   #16
BHPian

Default Re: How to get a Driving Licence in Bangalore without agents

I recently applied for renewal of DL in Jayanagar RTO. I did it without any agent. There is so much redundancy in the system and so many runarounds that you really wonder who decided on this system! Looks like they added work to keep people employed! Following are the steps that I did:

1. Go to enquiry counter and ask for forms for DL renewal. You need to fill up the form and fix your photograph. You also need to get an envelope with stamps (Rs 17) and also a plastic cover to put in your current DL.

2. Had to take medical test from Govt doctor only. This is a scam. If all doctors are allowed to be practiced by the Govt, why should only Govt docs sign the form? We tried going to Sanjay Gandhi hospital, but there were such long queues that we would have had to wait for entire day. Plus you need to register yourself etc by paying money. There were agents at the RTO who took Rs 100 and got the doctor's signature done. In fact, they kept coming and asking me if I wanted doctor signature while I was filling up form. I finally had to use agents for this, though I didn't want to. Paid them Rs 100, they asked me if I had any seeing or hearing issues, took the form and got all signatures done

3. My DL had expired more than 30 days earlier and I had not noticed it. So I had to go to a superintendent who will tell me the amount to pay. The fee is Rs 200 for smart card DL, Rs 100 if DL expired beyond 30 days, and Rs 50 for each year or part there of since DL expired. Paid Rs 350.

4. You then pay the amount at the cashier window (less Rs 50 which is collected in Biometrics).

5. You next go to the ARTO(DL)'s office where you need to stand in queue and get his signature on the form. He just looked at the form and my current DL and signed on it.

6. You go to Biometrics room, show your application, give your left thumb print and have your photo taken. You pay Rs 50/- here and they affix a stamp on your application indicating you have paid.

7. You finally go to another person who will take your form and note it down in a book and give you acknowledgement.

Had to spend couple of hours for all these thanks to long queues.

I don't know why the goverment simplify the process. If all records are computerized, why can't one person look at your current DL, enter its details on the computer, which can then calculate the total amount you need to pay, then pay it at the same counter and just go to another room for biometrics and be done? Why should people be forced to run from one counter to another just so that superintendents and ARTOs can verify? Bureaucracy at its worst! What can be done by two people maximum now takes 5 people to achieve, along with loss of time as you have to stand in queues everywhere!

But still, you can do it with no agents. Govt doctor's signature/medical exam is not required for those under 40, so you don't have to worry about paying agent for that. Or if you have time, you can get it done in Govt hospital without bribe.

They said it will take around 25-30 days for my DL to be mailed to my home.

How long has it taken for others to receive your DLs once you submitted it? Gurha, how long did it take you to get your license? Please let us know when you receive it, if you haven't received it yet.

Last edited by sanchari : 4th February 2016 at 11:57.
sanchari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2016, 11:47   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurha View Post
I would agree on the first part completely, but sadly not on the second part. I don't know Kannada but still the behavior of the people at the RTO office or even BESCOM office, it never made me feel that I should have known Kannada prior to applying.

You definitely need patience as the speed of work is really slow.
Hi,

I didn't mean that knowing Kannada (or local language of the place) is mandatory. It is always better. I agree, given the metro/cosmopolitan mix of Bengaluru, probably the government officials too are nowadays okay to converse in a common language - Hindi/English.

I am really glad if that happens everywhere.

Thanks,

Ramas.
ramassrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2016, 10:35   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodude View Post
Thanks a lot Gurha for sharing the story. While reading your post, I also remembered my story of getting DL at Kalyan RTO.
Thanks turbodude for sharing your story. Yes, it really feels great to achieve something for which you have put in your effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
I recently applied for renewal of DL in Jayanagar RTO. I did it without any agent. There is so much redundancy in the system and so many runarounds that you really wonder who decided on this system! Looks like they added work to keep people employed!

How long has it taken for others to receive your DLs once you submitted it? Gurha, how long did it take you to get your license? Please let us know when you receive it, if you haven't received it yet.
Thanks a ton sanchari for sharing the entire process of renewing the DL, this will be really useful to those who want to renew their license.

It generally takes 25-30 days, I haven't received it yet and eagerly waiting to get that. Will update once I receive it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramassrs View Post
Hi,

I didn't mean that knowing Kannada (or local language of the place) is mandatory. It is always better. I agree, given the metro/cosmopolitan mix of Bengaluru, probably the government officials too are nowadays okay to converse in a common language - Hindi/English.

I am really glad if that happens everywhere.

Thanks,

Ramas.
Ramas, Yes that is really an added advantage to know local language, but gladly people here in bangalore understand that their are so many outsiders and they converse well in English.
gurha is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2016, 10:55   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton sanchari for sharing the entire process of renewing the DL, this will be really useful to those who want to renew their license.

It generally takes 25-30 days, I haven't received it yet and eagerly waiting to get that. Will update once I receive it.

Thank you for starting the thread, it inspired me to share my renewal experience too.

BTW, when did you apply for your DL if you don't mind me asking? Just want to see how many days has passed. I applied on Feb 1st.
sanchari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2016, 11:06   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
Thank you for starting the thread, it inspired me to share my renewal experience too.

BTW, when did you apply for your DL if you don't mind me asking? Just want to see how many days has passed. I applied on Feb 1st.
I applied on 14th Jan, so still some 10-15 days left according to RTO department
gurha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2016, 23:15   #21

I have a few question regarding driving license application
  1. Can we apply for license in any of the RTO or does it depend on RTO jurisdiction similar to RC registrations.
  2. Do all applicants require a medical certificate or is it only for elderly ?

Thanks for the detailed information . I am also planning to tke agent-free route
sandeeprawat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 10:31   #22
BHPian

Hey Sandeep, I got my license renewed last month (hard to believe I've been driving for close to 2 decades!) The entire process was completed in under 2 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeeprawat View Post
Can we apply for license in any of the RTO or does it depend on RTO jurisdiction similar to RC registrations.
You can apply anywhere convenient for you. If the application is submitted in an RTO other than the home location (issuing RTO), the license is issued after verification of records and will therefore take longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeeprawat View Post
Do all applicants require a medical certificate or is it only for elderly ?[/list]
Applicants above 40 years are advised a mandatory medical test, and anyone who is nearing 40 can be asked to get a medical certificate. This is especially true if you will cross 40 during the validity of the license to be issued.
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 15:05   #23
BHPian

Since it takes more than a month for the new DL smart card to reach the recipient, what is one to do in the interim? Drive with a copy of the LL (since the original LL would have been submitted along with the new DL application) does one still need to use L stickers? Should not be IMO since only when the candidate passes the driving test does the DL goes for processing.

Whats the protocol if cops stop to check documents when one is still awaiting the smart card?
hothatchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 17:58   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Applicants above 40 years are advised a mandatory medical test
How I do this at Bangalore? I am 42 so what I understand I will be issued 10 years license only.
Tsixty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 21:35   #25

You can get the test done via any government doctor. Many times the doctors are in same premises - example BDA complex in Koramangala.
manduks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 13:06   #26
BHPian

Quick Update: Went to YESHWANTHPUR RTO KA 04 today morning. Reached there around 9:30. Bought the brown file cover & a small envelope for putting picture for 5 rupees. Went to LL/DL section, found few dedicated government officers were working while it was close to public.

Once opened around 10 paid 60 to counter (MCWG+LMV) ensure to carry change.
Got the token for document verification. The guy was typical rude doing small drama. He asked to get my paper properly pinned and get Medical Certificate.
Went down and asked one of shop and they got me a new form and doctor signature with stamp for 100 INR.
Went back to the same document verification place and this time got it signed.
Now moved to testing area (counter 01). The police inspector manner was more of an officer and he was prompt and quick. Asked few questions and I passed. Submitted all the signed documents now to counter 09. And was told to collect the LL tomorrow after 4:30PM in person. I was out by 11:30 AM and was told no bio-metric for now. Will keep you posted for DL part. Cost so far 60+5+100.
Tsixty1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 11:53   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Whats the protocol if cops stop to check documents when one is still awaiting the smart card?
They will give you a small receipt when you submit all your documents including your original LL/DL. You can just show that to the cops and tell them you are awaiting smart card
Old 21st February 2016, 20:48   #28
BHPian

Update on my renewal. It took around 16 days for me to receive my license. Applied on the 1st and received it on 17th. I had applied at Jayanagar RTO.

Last edited by sanchari : 21st February 2016 at 20:52.
Old 21st March 2016, 16:35   #29
BHPian

I too recently had my wife's Driving License (DL) for MCWOG made at the Yeshwanthpur RTO, and the process was same as that mentioned by @gurha.
The riding test was taken at the Peenya test track, where two-wheelers are made to ride on a narrow track with curves and an 8 formation.

Video of Peenya Test Track (KA 04 - Yeshwanthpur RTO) posted by someone else on YouTube:

The test was taken on 08-Feb, but the DL is yet to arrive after close to 2 weeks. How long did it take for your DL to finally arrive?

Last edited by tibby : 21st March 2016 at 17:04. Reason: Added more details regarding the video
tibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 09:11   #30

Question Re: How to get a Driving Licence in Bangalore without agents

Quote:
Hi,

Well it might sound weird why would you have a post here in Team-BHP which specifies the procedure for applying for a DL, where everyone here would already have a DL, but in case there is someone who wants to apply for a fresh license in Bangalore because of any reason, this post of mine might come in handy.

Happy and Safe Driving.
Gurha, great initiative trying to get this done without any agent. I've applied for an LL in KA51 too (applied Feb 10) without an agent and had little to no trouble.

When we were getting the documents verified, the ARTO specifically asked us whether we speak Kannada (with a smirk!) when he saw our passports issued in another state. I immediately started talking to him in Kannada and his attitude changed completely. He was joking, and almost had a little chit-chat while there were at least 50 people behind us in the line. My wife and I have lived in Bangalore for over a decade and can speak Kannada fluently, and it comes in very handy every time we deal with govt, and other local folks.

That aside, I am going to apply for a DL in the next few weeks and wondering how tough the DL test was. Can you tell me more about the DL test? Did the officer sit beside you in the car? Did they care what type of car you were driving? (I am planning to take the DL test in an AT car - have a separate thread about that).
nirupesh is offline   Reply With Quote