Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 6th November 2017, 14:28   #46
BHPian

Default Re: How to get a Driving Licence in Bangalore without agents

Quote:
Originally Posted by verma_rahul View Post
Thanks, I had initiated the process all by myself. Done with the Learner's License and have now booked a slot for Driving License test. Hope the officials do not question the ownership of my car.
Being licenced to drive is not a prerequisite for vehicle ownership. There are many vehicle owners who hire drivers as they may not be keen on driving themselves. Hard for us car enthusiasts to understand that but it takes all kinds to make up the world!

Some RTOs issue you a receipt that you have passed the test for you to produce to the cops in case papers are checked during the 45 odd days that it takes for the smart card DL to reach you. Indiranagar RTO did not and I had kept copies of the LL anticipating that I will not get any proof for the interim period.

All the best!
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2017, 20:12   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verma_rahul View Post
Thanks, I had initiated the process all by myself. Done with the Learner's License and have now booked a slot for Driving License test. Hope the officials do not question the ownership of my car.
How much is the total cost of getting the License?
balenoed_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2017, 08:34   #48
BHPian

Caution : This will not work in Bangalore

AltoLXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2017, 14:01   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
How much is the total cost of getting the License?
Hi! I don't clearly remember now but I guess it was about 350/- for LL, 960/- for DL (LMV and MCWG) and another 60/- for Biometrics and photo.

One thing I realized during the entire process is that while giving the tests for DL, hand signals are extremely important for both 2 & 4 wheelers (do not turn on the A/C and forget to give hand signals) along with terms like "Right Reverse Parking" for 4 wheelers. Saw quite a few of them failing the tests because of incorrect/absence of hand signals.

This is mainly applicable for people who go to the RTO themselves (KR Puram in my case) as we were asked to appear for the tests in the adjoining lane while people who came through "training schools" were nowhere to be seen in the lane at all. They probably have a dedicated lane for them.

Rahul
verma_rahul is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2018, 11:15   #50
Senior - BHPian

My DL is expiring in 3 months and I need to renew it at Indiranagar RTO , Blore East.

Has anyone done it recently and if so what are documents to be carried?
Is a medical certificate required as well?
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2018, 13:31   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
My DL is expiring in 3 months and I need to renew it at Indiranagar RTO , Blore East.

Has anyone done it recently and if so what are documents to be carried?
Is a medical certificate required as well?
The process has been made easier. Log on to parivahan.gov.in and do it hassle free now. However do note that the window for renewal opens 30 days prior to expiry of the licence.

I am also waiting for the window to open to renew my licence. No need to go through any agents now.
BeantownThinker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2018, 15:47   #52
BHPian

Recently, my father asked me to help him renew his DL. He's over 60 so he has to get it done every 5 years.

Logged in to parivahan and put in his license number and date of birth.

Took me to the application form (it was pre-filled).

Page 3,4 and 5 are to be taken to the registered govt doctor (private docs cannot certify this). My father went to Sanjay Gandhi hospital and got the stamp and signature from there (Rs 100 cost).

Next, you need to scan:

1) Medical certificate (3 pages) and convert to pdf (smallpdf.com works well)
2) Current DL
3) Passport size photo
4) Signature

Keep in mind (and I found this weird- the passport photo scan has to be between 10-20KB. It's an absurd requirement, took me a bit of fiddling with Photoshop elements to get the size down.)

Signature- not to hard to bring down the size but keep in mind the image dimensions they ask.

Once you upload the above 4 docs, you will be asked to make payment either now or later.

If you choose to make the payment now, you will be given some convoluted choices (and the least painful of them is the Netbanking payment through the "Khajane" gateway of Karnataka govt).

Again, I find it weird that only netbanking is enabled (no cards or wallets accepted). Thankfully, the payment went through in 1 try.

My father now has to go to the RTO for this I guess his biometrics?

Applicant need to go to RTO office on Appointment Date(if appointment taken) along with necessary documents for getting application process at RTO Office.
Transaction Name Pending At Counter
RENEWAL OF DL CAPTURE BIOMETRICS OFAPPLICANT BIO-2

Procedure for DL

RENEWAL OF DL SERVICES ON DL Completed
RENEWAL OF DL UPLOAD DOCUMENTS Completed
RENEWAL OF DL UPLOAD PHOTO AND SIGNATURE Completed
RENEWAL OF DL FEE PAYMENT Completed

(Side note- when I applied for my MCWG LL 6 months back, online payment wasn't working. Had to go to the RTO, stand in line for 1.5 hours and then make the payment at the counter).

I'll update this post when my father completes his RTO visit.
bugatti is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2018, 16:02   #53
Senior - BHPian

My current DL was issued in 1998 and will expire in 4 months. I tried to check the DL details online, but says duplicate entries found and I have to visit the RTO. The question is, my current residence is different from the RTO zone where I had got the DL done, should I go to the same RTO or can I go to any RTO? Mine is a non smart card DL, but it is a card with details printed on it.
dass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2018, 12:08   #54
BHPian

Hello all

I had a quick question on my DL. i got my DL issued in Mumbai and later on when i shifted to Bangalore i got smart DL card from Rajaji Nagar RTO issued. In the smart card original DL number is mentioned (as mentioned in my Mumbai DL). Now my license will be expiring during year 2019. A quick check on Parivahan site revealed the status that my DL details do not exist. Does it mean that i cant do online renewal of my DL and need to visit RTO? Please help!
lazybrain is offline   Reply With Quote