Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 29th March 2016, 12:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Caught on CCTV: Speeding i20 damages our parked car. How do we track it down?

Look at the police cams at the intersection just after this place. These cams are usually high quality and should have the number plate visible, of course you may need some contacts in that area to help you out.
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 12:52   #17
BHPian

Default re: Caught on CCTV: Speeding i20 damages our parked car. How do we track it down?

The car in question has surely passed through atleast 4 cctvs as there are 4 to 5 banks on the same road ahead
But not sure if number plate will be visible

Best ploy would be take the watchman of mandir and nearby building into confidence and extract any info from them

You never know they are waiting for someone to approach them to give some info in exchange of bakshish

I am sure they would have noted down the number
rikhav is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 13:12   #18

Sorry about your loss.

I am unable to watch the video footage now but usually there are options in the software to identify any particular object or scene in a better way in most professional / commercial installations.

If the temple from where you have taken the footage has a proper CCTV system with application software (Milestone is one such application), then there is a good possibility that you can play around with the software to get better visuals of the car that hit yours. Please try again with the temple if they are willing to help you find out the number plate in the video footage they have recorded in their system.

It is really sad to see how people hit and run without any decency. In Philadelphia during 2009, one morning when I got out to taken the car, there was a note clipped to the wipers that said "Sorry, kids were playing, ball got to the car. Call xxx-xxx-xxxx. Thanks". There was a small scratch on the car but most importantly the parent was responsible enough to let me know that it occurred because of them and was willing to settle this; I was moved by the gesture completely.

I hope you find the culprit and get justice.
Petrolhead007 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 13:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Thats nasty. The girls may even have been under influence and hence the hurry to get out of there.
The police will need considerable time and effort to track down several cctv's along the road and then identify the culprits.
As mentioned earlier, unless you have good contacts with the police and someone in Hyundai dealer network, I would suggest to get the car repaired under insurance and then forget about it. Without the influence, even if the damage has been very severe, nothing much can be done unfortunately, and you will frustrate yourself for few months for nothing in return.

I really hope these crazy girls are caught and are made to pay for the losses and for the effort to track them down.

EDIT: Chances are, one of the parents of those girls has higher influence and then the case will be washed down the sink.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 29th March 2016 at 13:57.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 13:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, I don't think that you will find reasonable recourse.
What if the girls say 'SORRY' or their parents or relatives say 'Maaf Kar Doh, ladkiyan ghabra gayi thi' which is the most likely excuse they will give and request you to claim insurance.
Also even on paid parking lots, Multiplexes and even on AUTHORISED Service Centres, it is prominently written that "Parking at owner's risk."

Why am I sounding negative is because I wish to say that you pursue this hunt but with ZERO expectations, whatever you get can be considered a bonus.
carwatcher is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 13:48   #21
BHPian

If the Police are serious about catching the culprits, then I don't think it will take them more than 1 day to short list the suspects.

Its a matter of zeroing on 3 mobile numbers moving away from the tower in that area and find out those girls.

But will the police do it, I don't know. But since you have given a complaint for the sake of Insurance, the insurance company is supposed to follow up on the case to get it cleared. Don't they?

Regards
chandrda is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 13:56   #22
BHPian

Hey Blackbolt,

1) They were going too fast, and a car at the intersection made them swerve, fishtail and lose control.

2) Since your CCTV didn't pick up the plates, look around the area for a better quality CCTV camera (eg. toll booth), then get their footage and look out for the same car around the same time of night.

3) The cabin lights seem to be ON while they are driving - in case that helps you identify the car in footage from another camera. I'd even hazard a guess that they are LED (based on the apparent colour temperature in your footage).

4) Another tip: Headlights are OFF. Idiot. Maybe the car at the intersection proceeded ahead because of this. (Driver's side ORVM seems to be folded too). Also, given that headlights are off - there's a high chance the person lives in this area or just started their return journey from closeby.

5) If you watch the video closely, the front passenger seat was empty, and there were 2 ladies in the back. Hard to see the sex of the driver, but given this information, I'd say its probably a man/hired-driver driving the car.

6) Driver wasn't wearing his(?) seat belt either! Watch him hit his head:

Name:  uKMEIB.gif
Views: 4705
Size:  1.83 MB
Higher quality: http://i.imgur.com/h30nSmT.gifv

Last edited by rehaan2 : 29th March 2016 at 14:07.
rehaan2 is offline   (22) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 14:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

Would the cops really do anything unless its a top-down directive for them, I doubt!

You have a choice of either greasing some hands and you can be rest assured that these girls would be caught (you are already losing 70k, its that vs whatever you are willing to offer, not to mention that it would be recovered from the guilty party) or reaching out to the higher-ups who can influence the cops to investigate this case the way it should be.

Last resort, be a detective and reach out to the nearby stores/shops and see if you can get your hands on the CCTV footage. Time is of essence here because not all save the CCTV footage for long.
fine69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 14:13   #24
Senior - BHPian

Also to note , if it helps in anyway:
The i20 was driven without headlights or even park lights on.

I am not surprised if they lost control because of another car not seeing them at the junction , which made them loose control.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 14:25   #25
BHPian

I may be seeing it in a wrong way…. but could you please clarify as whether the car was parked in a proper authorized / designated parking lot. No barricades/ markings /posts can be seen. Prima facie it appears that the black car was parked in a manner eating up too much into the road space. If it goes this way around, then you may also end up into trouble.
King_pin09 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 14:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

Definitely need a better quality video!
I tried playing with the video but was just able to get the picture a bit sharper and thats it!

The camera is being constantly overexposed by highbeams that, it wasn't able to capture the darkened numberplate.

Also, the camera's IR was not working too(probably as a result of excessive ambient lighting), as the newer RTO plates are reflective and readily reflect IR also.

Their unusually rapid escape seems to have been triggered by someone(possibly a security guard, etc. yelling in their direction after the mishap)

Failing to turn on headlights and parking lights and unnecessarily driving fast and swerving like that, could it also be DUI?

I really hope you can get better quality video from around the area and nail these culprits.

Last edited by sohail99 : 29th March 2016 at 14:41.
sohail99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 15:27   #27
BHPian

You can find out the culprits with some effort and an FIR from police. There may not be too many white Hyundai's with damage to front left side and which had service after the said date. But the important point to note is if the area is legal parking area or not. If not then the police may not be that forthcoming to help you out.
vamsi.kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 15:31   #28
BHPian

This is utter negligence. Driving without lights on and then running away. This has to be taken to the POLICE. Thank god there was no one walking/standing on that footpath.
vamsi2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 16:17   #29
BHPian

Try assigning the job to some private detectives. Mumbai must be having lots of them. They might do the dirty work for you. I don't know about the financial balance. But you sure will have the satisfaction of bringing those damsels to daylight.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th March 2016 at 08:36. Reason: u > you.
crdi is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 16:31   #30
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Sorry to hear about the damage to your car.

I would say, just report it to the police and let the insurance process take care of the damage. There is hardly anything to be gained by tracking the other car owner/driver down. If they would have been thoughtful and mature, they would have stopped, called the police or would have at least left a note. Instead what we see here is utter disregard for law and complete lack of responsibility. Even if you manage to track down the owner/driver, 99% they would disown it and except for shouting at the top of the lungs, I doubt, you would be able to do anything else. Even if you take the legal route and drag them to court over rash driving and damage to your car, the long drawn process and delayed justice would be very frustrating to say the least.

So, I would still say : Shit happens! Smile and move on! No point spending your energy, time and money on a pursuit that's not going to get you anything.

Last edited by SDP : 29th March 2016 at 16:32.
SDP is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote