Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 25th September 2006, 09:12   #1
BHPian

Just learnt about a shocking incident yesterday. Apparently a school teacher driving a santro in Kharghar, had the misfortune of causing the death of a slum kid, who ran across her car from nowhere. A good samaritan helped them take the kid to CBD belapur hospital where he was declared dead. The teacher a young woman is in a mess. She has a small kid of her own!. A senseless tragedy that has ruined two families.
shbhrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 11:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

This one's happened to me when i was 18 and was on a bike.
I got beat up for no fault. The kid just came on the main road from nowhere thinking it was her playground. The mistake's on the parents who dont educate the importance of road safety.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 11:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shbhrao
Apparently a school teacher driving a santro in Kharghar, had the misfortune of causing the death of a slum kid, who ran across her car from nowhere.
This incident should be carefully investigated whether it was a deliberate accident or a genuine accident. As we are aware of incidents, where poor parents resort to such nasty gimmicks to extort money from innocent car owners.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 12:01   #4
BHPian

If we can quit blaming ourselves whether rich/poor.. there is someone else who need to take this blame. Yes I mean the Govt. We always know the devil but never can do anything about it!! its simply because it has an abstract name called Govt. not any single responsible persons name.

Why should i be blaming the govt. for this incident?
- Because Corporation should certify Speed limits at everycorner, even if its a horn-free zone,
- If required some streets, narrow / slums / etc should be limited to lighter vehicles like bicycles etc

Biggest of all is that .. if the parents dont teach, Govt, RTO, Corporation, NGOs of whoever should give all required Instructions/ Drills/ Training to people thru regular training programmes. Its ofcourse the big name's (Govt) responsibility to train people to live. Where are the training programmes on Road Safety, Cleanliness, Letter Writing skills, Nutrition, Security for the general public?? Why being ignored???

WHY WONT THE DEVIL CHANGE??, OR HAVE A FACE TO BASH-UP ??

THE BEST PART IS IT CAN SCARE US WITHOUT ITSELF BEING SEEN !!
four_tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 12:54   #5
BHPian

I agree with Four tire. Our govt. is useless. A majority of our people have no road sense at all and no civic sense (but that's another story). Anyway, even on so called fast roads like the palm beach road, you see people crossing the roads. Our driving licensces are a farce! CIDOC boast about laying down roads, but you don't see stop signs at curves etc, you don't see speed limits in most zones. Things are in a mess and I think our stupid indian chalta hai attitude has a lot to do with this.
shbhrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 14:35   #6
rks
BANNED

I just did Pune-Mumbai on Friday and returned this morning. Today I saw a dead dog lying on the Expressay and a cow grazing by the left lane near Bhatan tunnel!! Plus workers blocking half of the right lane while trimming the bushes on the divider and casually running across the Expressway. But that is not all -- on Friday night, I was doing something like 120 kmph and switched to the left lane as the centre and right lanes were blocked by slow-moving vehicles. Saw two hefty stones on the left lane and had to swerve past them. Realized that my life was hanging by a thread here - only a split second between life and death. Have to wonder when my luck is going to run out, like it did for that unfortunate kid.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 15:47   #7
BHPian

It is no use blaming the government and all the authorities. The first and foremost is disciplined road users.
I drove to Chennai from Bangalore on the 21st and returned on the 22nd. The roads were in excellent condition and I was able to do 120 at most times. This is a 4 lane road with wide dividers in between. But woe and behold, often I found vehicles coming head on towards me - the drivers are driving on the wrong side of the road with complete nonchalance. Can we disregard safety completely?
Between Krishnagiri and Ambur, I witnessed the aftermath of an accident. A company bus was driving on the wrong side of the road and a Maruthi 800 almost went under it. The crumple zone on the 800 was completely ineffective for providing resistance as it was too low in relation to the bus. The drivers side A pillar was completely mangled. It would have been impossible for the driver to survive. An absolutely avoidable tragedy!
I was seriously considering setting up of a "road squad" which will stop these kind of motorists and lynch them in public.
Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 15:56   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover
It is no use blaming the government and all the authorities. The first and foremost is disciplined road users.
Apart from providing good roads,
providing disciplined and sane road users
is the total responsibility of the Authorities.
So that behind the steering one is assured!!

If somebody claims to be Governing, Its only better when doing it!!!
four_tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 17:52   #9
BHPian

It is important to educate the road users and at the same time impose discipline by enforcing fines and penalties for the misdoers. For instance, in Chennai, on the busiest Anna Salai, it is a common scene of the pedastrians crossing the roads at unsafe places by jumping over the center medians (how much ever higher it be). This creates a lot of hardship to the drivers, and it is a chain reaction ... if one driver does some thing to avoid an incident, it may result in unforeseen hardship to another driver.

Certainly, Government has a role to play both in educating the road users and in enforcing fine and penalties.
goldsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 23:57   #10
BHPian

RKS- I just did Pune-Mumbai on Friday and returned this morning. Today I saw a dead dog lying on the Expressay and a cow grazing by the left lane near Bhatan tunnel!!

Atleast you had to negotiate dead dogs & stones at high speeds and not bodies of hit-n-run victims lying rite in the middle of the lane. Its a
not-so-rare sight on NH 8 (Bombay/Amhd) splly from dusk to dawn.
Wonder what the authorities are there for!

.........Realized that my life was hanging by a thread here - only a split second between life and death[/quote]

Pls take it kool on the e.way even though you are quite confident of yourself. Dont try to push ur luck too much. Drive safe!

az
autozealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 00:43   #11
BHPian

the accident involving the slum kid was really tragic. my sympathies to the bereaved family.

i suppose that the teacher has been living in India all the while and is aware of such unpredictable behaviours of pedestrians.

had she been alert and with good reflexes, i think the fatality could have been avoided. now she has realised her speed limit. but at the cost of an innocent life.
playlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 01:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover
I drove to Chennai from Bangalore on the 21st and returned on the 22nd. The roads were in excellent condition and I was able to do 120 at most times. This is a 4 lane road with wide dividers in between. But woe and behold, often I found vehicles coming head on towards me - the drivers are driving on the wrong side of the road with complete nonchalance. Can we disregard safety completely?
Completely agree with you Rover. I drove on the 8th of this month to chennai over the weekend and almost killed a cyclist.Luckily saw him cut lanes, jammed the brakes,burnt some rubber and hit the damn cyclist only when my car lost momentum. The dude was an ice cream vendor who was cycling on the wrong side of the road and then cut across the median into the left lane.Was lucky enough that my car hit him from the side and he dint have any injuries.Bad for my car since the ice-cream box on the cycle was made of solid iron and the door got scratched .
Should mention Lady luck was with me because nothing happened to this guy and also the bikers behind me saw this guy crossing lanes.Thanks to those bikers for supporting me.
People driving on the wrong side is a common view here especially buses(local).
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 10:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

Was travelling at 80 kmph near the main highway near kurla.Was goin at around 80 when a kid came running to cross the road.Veered to the right to avoid him and TO MY ASTONISHMENT..HE STOPPED AND WAS TURNING BACK.:O..jammed on brakes with all my might and ended up stopping the car just cms away from that dude who stood standstill.Got out and gave him some tight slaps for endangering my future with his silly acts.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 10:35   #14
M77
BHPian

See my post on Bangalore Traffic.

In the case of pedestrians, it is definetly the govt's fault, in not providing
safe pathways, for people to cross, or walk on footpaths. And also blame
people to keep their pathways filthy enough that they themselves can't
walk on them. There are very good reasons why the rest of the world
looks down upon India as a third world country.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buckle...e-traffic.html
M77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 10:41   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum
Got out and gave him some tight slaps for endangering my future with his silly acts.
You should've flung the damn 'dude' away in to a pit

No ceriously, its the parents or the guardian who is responsible for children who just stroll around like they are in disneyland. If its an adult, he needs no less than one tight slap which would probably help open up his ears & his napping brains.

The road after turning left from Mahim causeway to Lilavati Hosp./ Bandra Rec. one needs to be utmost careful because of the slum dwellers.

az
autozealot is offline   Reply With Quote