Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 2nd May 2016, 18:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Caught on Dashcam! Le Méridien Hotel valet damages my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
but i suspect that this is being done since the basement parking may be over crowded (and they fear a mishap or complaint by the customer) or the outsourced team do not want to miss out on the tips.
Not sure which laws you talk about, they cease to exist in Delhi when it comes to certain places and certain people.

In Sheraton I'm usually refused to take my car in the basement and I'm mostly on my own to find a parking place within the hotel.

The shock of my life was when I had parked my car in the Hyatt basement the first time. How the Valets had parked the cars was not a sight for the faint hearted. There was constant wheel-spin noises because of the inclines and the way those cars were revved within the basement was really something.

What is also common in some hotels is that during the non-peak hours the valets sit inside the AC cars listening to music. The parking area is basically their chill zone and even I would be annoyed if I had a visitor there.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2016, 18:47   #17
BHPian

A request:
Just put up a photo on of the damaged part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskaranjaiya View Post
And, everything was caught on tape....next steps in order to get my car repaired at no cost to me.
Good thing that you have a dash cam! My father is reluctant to buy one.
You have the evidence and all you need to do send a strong message that you mean business.

No, don't go about sharing the video on Twitter or FB immediately. Instead, write to the manager expressing your distress and send him the link to this thread.

If he doesn't give you the response you expected, just put forward a threat (mildly) about spreading these videos on Twitter (tagging: @LeMeridien). He would be fool not to come to an agreement with you. Last thing these hotels want is bad publicity.

Even if the valets are outsourced from a company, the company should pay you considering that they have to retain their contract with the hotel. Just write a mail CC'ing the manager of the Hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
I am assuming that you come from a upper middle class/ upper class family and spending these 5-6k for you would just mean a lunch at Le meridien with your family.
Are you suggesting that I sacrifice an opportunity to eat at a 5 Star just because a valet damaged my car?

What if the damage is more severe?

Sorry, I will report any damage. I don't care what happens to the driver. Let him lose his job. He wasn't driving in a crowded street in one of India's Metro cities, he was driving in a controlled environment at a slow speed.

No regrets on being harsh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

They can make you sign any T&C, but that doesn't absolve them of any responsibilities - even legally.
I've heard this from you in the thread about service centres also. How?

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 2nd May 2016 at 18:57.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2016, 18:47   #18
BHPian

Dont let it go. Pity for the poor valet guy will get you nothing and that guy will learn nothing after getting away scott free by being careless with your car.

I had a similar experience a couple of years ago when I was passing by an upmarket chinese eatery on Waterfield Road in Bandra. I was driving past and a valet guy who was taking a U turn in a customers Land Rover reversed straight into my drivers door crumpling it.

The restaurant manager and security manager while polite and slightly helpful refused to help me directly and asked me to take it up with the manager of the valet company since it is outsourced and the driver is not their responsibility so they washed their hands of it.

What followed was a lot of back and forth, negotiations, whining, etc and finally the guy coughed up Rs 6000 on a Rs 9000 repair bill.

Throughout all this I enquired a few times but the owner of the Land Rover was oblivious to the accident his car was in and did not approach the restaurant guys.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2016, 19:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

A different note altogether, but why should the person at the receiving end be mindful of the culprit's potentially 'poor' situation while seeking redressal/compensation?

I'm not advocating being mean to another human pointlessly, but why shouldn't the valet be held responsible for his actions? If such fender-benders can cost him his livelihood and well-being, shouldn't he be the one taking care not to be careless (and unscrupulous on top of it!) with someone else's expensive property?
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2016, 19:39   #20

UPDATE:

And so as it happens, having talked to the manager, they have acknowledged their fault owing to their internal inquiry and have promised to pay for the repairs. They wanted me to send them my car which I flatly refused and instead asked them to pay the expenses incurred at the Hyundai dealership I frequent for the service of my car. To their credit, they happily agreed.

I have agreed to take the car to the dealership on Friday and I shall be accompanied by their representative to settle the bill there and then. They have also requested me to take down the videos which I shall oblige since they have agreed to pay for the damages. I apologise for having to take the video down.

I would like to thank everyone here on Team BHP for their invaluable advice which helped me in talking with Le Meridien Hotel management.

Also, to those that have asked. I am using Xiaomi's Yi Dash camera which i acquired from Aliexpress. I would rate them as having excellent footage quality and they have great options to view the footage via an app on your mobile which connects via wifi to the camera. Not to mention, it is reasonably priced!

I will update further if there are any new developments however I anticipate the remaining part to be straightforward.
jaskaranjaiya is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2016, 20:43   #21
BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE:

And so as it happens, having talked to the manager, they have acknowledged their fault owing to their internal inquiry and have promised to pay for the repairs. They wanted me to send them my car which I flatly refused and instead asked them to pay the expenses incurred at the Hyundai dealership I frequent for the service of my car. To their credit, they happily agreed.

I have agreed to take the car to the dealership on Friday and I shall be accompanied by their representative to settle the bill there and then. They have also requested me to take down the videos which I shall oblige since they have agreed to pay for the damages. I apologise for having to take the video down.

I would like to thank everyone here on Team BHP for their invaluable advice which helped me in talking with Le Meridien Hotel management.

Also, to those that have asked. I am using Xiaomi's Yi Dash camera which i acquired from Aliexpress. I would rate them as having excellent footage quality and they have great options to view the footage via an app on your mobile which connects via wifi to the camera. Not to mention, it is reasonably priced!

I will update further if there are any new developments however I anticipate the remaining part to be straightforward.
Good news!! Good on the hotel's part to sort this out without creating any mess. Happy Driving!!

All those, who mocked my point of view or were dead against it. I respect your opinions, and I can understand "The guilty should be punished" part too. However, I live my life on different terms and I firmly believe that Humanity is rare and should be preserved.

In the end, to each his own.
Engine_Roars is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2016, 20:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.....I firmly believe that Humanity is rare and should be preserved.....
An appreciable life-view, and I'd bet if the valet had owned up to his mistake on the spot by informing the owner (instead of hoping it will go unnoticed), a lot more people would probably agree that it'd be best to 'let it go' as an honest mistake. Doesn't compassion work both ways?

To each his own, of course.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2016, 21:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

Had no doubts that a reputable Hotel like LeMeridien would compensate for the damage. Good on them. All disclaimers that say "we are not responsible for damages" "valet parking at owner's risk" blah blah, do not mean they can get away. They are still legally bound to bear responsibility. Small restaurants put such stuff up to scare people off from confronting them about damages, but big hotels are always courteous, polite and accepting when it comes to such stuff

BTW: That is a great dashcam you have got there infact that was the first thing that popped up in my mind when I played the video last night

Quote:
All those, who mocked my point of view or were dead against it. I respect your opinions, and I can understand "The guilty should be punished" part too. However, I live my life on different terms and I firmly believe that Humanity is rare and should be preserved.
I completely respect what you are saying however, preservation of humanity need not be at the risk of fostering negligent and reckless attitude. There is no hard and fast rule about such stuff, I am just saying that one needs to be smart about this otherwise you could end up being taken for a ride and have that pick away at your conscience as you realize that your lack of action could cause such a thing to happen to more people.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 14:05   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm curious, what if a Valet runs over your leg while handing the car over to you, what if he doesn't break a bone but twists your ankle.

And then what if a poor driver hits somebody and you are the only witness, or what if he damages somebody else's property, or maybe govt. property?

I'm just trying to ascertain your breaking point assuming if was only you who had to take a call.

A Valet's job is supposed to park the car without damaging it, duh! If he's not doing his job properly and somebody points that out how is it going against humanity??!!
fine69 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 15:18   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I'm curious, what if a Valet runs over your leg while handing the car over to you, what if he doesn't break a bone but twists your ankle.

And then what if a poor driver hits somebody and you are the only witness, or what if he damages somebody else's property, or maybe govt. property?

I'm just trying to ascertain your breaking point assuming if was only you who had to take a call.

A Valet's job is supposed to park the car without damaging it, duh! If he's not doing his job properly and somebody points that out how is it going against humanity??!!
I never said anybody is going against humanity. Period.

Regarding the hypothetical situations you are talking about - I am sorry but I am not looking forward to get into unnecessary arguments and discussions. Op had asked for suggestions and I shared what I thought I would have done if in a similar situation.

As mentioned earlier, to each his own.
Engine_Roars is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 17:22   #26
BHPian

I agree that a lot of valet drivers are paid a low salary in the 5K to 10K range because, like waiters for example, a large chunk of their salary consists of tips. However, that is no reason for anybody to say that the poor should be entitled to get away with commiting a crime because they can't afford it. I do truly understand the moral dilemna of whether a person stealing food or medicines to feed a hungry and dying family member should be prosecuted for it or not, but at the end of the day, a crime is a crime irrespective of why. What that means is the poor and rich should be equally punished for the same crime. The rich should not be able to get away because of their wealth, and the poor should not be forgiven because of their lack of wealth. Am sure the OP would have been a lot more willing to forgive the driver if he had admitted to the crime on the spot.

On another tangent, this is part of the reason I don't like giving my car for valet parking. Unfortunately wifey insists on it, so for the sake of peace of mind, I tend to do it when she is there, but given a choice I would always rather park the vehicle myself rather than give it to the valet, purely because I don't know how they would treat my car. Definitely it would not be anything close to how well I treat it.
pganapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 03:00   #27
BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE:
They have also requested me to take down the videos which I shall oblige since they have agreed to pay for the damages. I apologise for having to take the video down.
I remember seeing those videos that you had uploaded some time back. I remember the picture quality was pretty good, especially the one at the night. If you don't mind could you please upload some other videos that you took with the yi dash cam (preferably night) so that I can compare it with other DVRs that I'm shortlisting for a purchase.
Is the quality good enough to read the number plate off the video?

Thanks in advance
texens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 11:55   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by texens View Post
If you don't mind could you please upload some other videos that you took with the yi dash cam (preferably night) so that I can compare it with other DVRs that I'm shortlisting for a purchase.
Is the quality good enough to read the number plate off the video?

Thanks in advance

This is the review upon which I based my purchasing decision. He has the videos and he talks in details about the dashboard camera. Hope it helps you in your search. Also, I bought it from aliexpress.

Yes, the quality is indeed good enough to read the number plate off of the video. You will have no problem regards to recognising offending number plates wether it be night or day.
jaskaranjaiya is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote