Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 13th May 2016, 08:26   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Corporates & their idiosyncratic rules for employee vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsk View Post
OT: Regarding compulsory use of seat belts; I never understood why it should be compulsory within the city limits?
I have personally experienced a model called as a belt slide developed by Mercedes. You can sit on this and experience the force during a crash at a 'mere' 10kmph. That will convince anyone to wear a seatbelt. I have the video of it too, but I dont think you can feel anything unless you experience it yourself. You shouldnt be asking such a question having seen so many discussions in the forum.
audioholic is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 09:26   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OT: Regarding compulsory use of seat belts; I never understood why it should be compulsory within the city limits?

I understand that seat belt is absolutely needed when one drives on the highways where the average speed is 60+Kmph. However, within the city limits the average will be about 20Kmph and here insisting on wearing a seat belt is more of a irritant.
How is it an irritant???? That flummoxes me. Ive heard a lot of people say its an irritant. How?
Also, is the "dr" in your handle for Doctor?
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 09:31   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I understand that seat belt is absolutely needed when one drives on the highways where the average speed is 60+Kmph. However, within the city limits the average will be about 20Kmph and here insisting on wearing a seat belt is more of a irritant.
Seriously?
Then why don't you try not wearing a seatbelt and while driving at about 60, go and collide with a wall or apply "sudden brake" and see for yourself how it feels when your mug gets pasted nicely on the steering hub, thus causing the brand logo of your car make, to get beautifully imprinted on said mug.

Do some research, read a little on the internet about how seat belts save lives. Don't make casual statements of the kind you have made above saying that seat belts are an irritant etc.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 09:40   #94
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do you really think that's right ?

Driving on city roads or highways does not matter, in the event of a collision (even at low speeds) seat belts are your primary protection, even known as the Primary Restraint System in the car. Airbags are known as SRS or Supplementary Restraint System so don't ever underestimate the use or value of seat belts, they're priceless from a safety perspective. Please do an internet search on seat belts and you can simply keep reading about them for days on end.

What many of our motorists on the road fail to understand is the term "Risk" and hence they question things like wearing helmets when using 2 wheelers and seat belts when using 4 wheelers. The fact is that in the event of an accident, these mechanisms can save their lives.

Last edited by NPV : 13th May 2016 at 09:44.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 10:02   #95
Team-BHP Support

Two things that have dramatically reduced deaths in accidents have been

1: Seat belts- dramatic reduction in head injuries
2: Crumple zones - dramatic reduction in injuries
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 10:16   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
One fateful day in 2011 my HR Head, a loyal determined spunky young 33 year old lady announces, "Sir we have more cars than parking spots. You cannot have your parking spot locked away." "What", I sputtered, aghast at her temerity. Undeterred she continues, "From tomorrow it will be first come first served". I begged, "P_____ please allow me this one privilege before retirement and dementia overtake me. If not my rank or shareholding please think of my age." No Siree she stuck to her guns. And with that rule we still live.
Thatís awesome! Hope that employee is still working for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneeraj View Post
Maybe it is because most of them might be creating a nuisance to the others. Not being good at parallel parking, even slotting within the lines etc.
It would be nice to avoid these kinds of comments please? We do have women members in the forum, and even otherwise sexist comments are best avoided.

Quote:
OT: However, within the city limits the average will be about 20Kmph and here insisting on wearing a seat belt is more of a irritant.
OT: So true! How irritating it is. Infact cars should have a speed-sensitive chime/alarm for seat belts, to remind on fasten/unfasten seat belts
vb-san is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 10:22   #97
BHPian

Unhappy Re: Corporates & their idiosyncratic rules for employee vehicles

Quote:

Why is it to be told that wearing seat belts are compulsory? Why can't you use the simple primary safety feature that all cars come equipped with?

It is sad that after spending 9 years in TeamBHP, you have not learnt the basics. Its obvious you haven't gone through the following thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...-pictures.html

Pls go through, you'll understand why it should be compulsory within the city limits?

And please wear seat belts when you drive, we tolerate a lot on our daily routine, tolerate one more irritant

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 13th May 2016 at 10:28.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 10:56   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
So true! How irritating it is. Infact cars should have a speed-sensitive chime/alarm for seat belts, to remind on fasten/unfasten seat belts Frustrati
It is alarming to see the notion that you need to wear seat belts at relatively low speeds or city driving on a car enthousiast forum!

Even at a low speed of 20 km/h if you hit something solid or a another car head on your body will subjected to forces that will snap your bones.

If you do not have a airbag your face is likely to smack into the steering wheel, dashboard and front window with considerable force.

You are most likely to survive at such speeds, but not without some serious injuries that would have been totalled prevented by wearing seat belts.

One of my sisters had an accident on a busy parking lot. She drove into a car that just pulled out of its parking place. She was doing around 20 km/h. She was not wearing a seat belt, no airbag.

She ended up at the emergency room with a broken nose and cheekbone, multiple cuts and abbressions and needed some plastic surgery afterwards.
If she had worn her seatbelt she would have just walked away with at best a litle bit of a sore spot around shoulder/ chest where the belts dig into your upper body.

So please understand the very elementary physics of slow speed accidents. Your body is not built to withstand such forces.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 13th May 2016 at 10:57.
Jeroen is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 11:05   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
It is alarming to see the notion that you need to wear seat belts at relatively low speeds or city driving on a car enthousiast forum!
Of all.. you did not get the sarcasm

Its amazing for someone who had been in this forum to think that seat belts are not needed in city limits, and hence the comment.
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 11:54   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroamit View Post
After seeing your T-BHP join date as 2007, I am very disappointed that this question comes from you, being a T-BHP member. Seat belts are helpful always whether you are driving at 20 KMPH or 100 KMPH. It may be irritant for newbie but for a person who care about life, it shouldn't be. Please wear it for your own safety.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Do this.
Run on the treadmill at 15kmph. So you have a fair idea of what is 15kmph.
After that. Run at the same speed on the ground and run into a wall. We can then debate whether at 15kmph seatbelt is useful or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I have personally experienced a model called as a belt slide developed by Mercedes. You can sit on this and experience the force during a crash at a 'mere' 10kmph. That will convince anyone to wear a seatbelt. I have the video of it too, but I dont think you can feel anything unless you experience it yourself. You shouldnt be asking such a question having seen so many discussions in the forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
How is it an irritant???? That flummoxes me. Ive heard a lot of people say its an irritant. How?
Also, is the "dr" in your handle for Doctor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Seriously?
Then why don't you try not wearing a seatbelt and while driving at about 60, go and collide with a wall or apply "sudden brake" and see for yourself how it feels when your mug gets pasted nicely on the steering hub, thus causing the brand logo of your car make, to get beautifully imprinted on said mug.

Do some research, read a little on the internet about how seat belts save lives. Don't make casual statements of the kind you have made above saying that seat belts are an irritant etc.
I have had a crash @ ~80 Kmph against a fly-over pillar trying to avoid a Tata Ace that suddenly veered into the highway from a side road at pretty good speed and survived without a scratch. Of course, I was wearing the seat belt. However, I did not feel the "tuck" (maybe I was holding onto the steering wheel tight enough).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Do you really think that's right ?

Driving on city roads or highways does not matter, in the event of a collision (even at low speeds) seat belts are your primary protection, even known as the Primary Restraint System in the car. Airbags are known as SRS or Supplementary Restraint System so don't ever underestimate the use or value of seat belts, they're priceless from a safety perspective. Please do an internet search on seat belts and you can simply keep reading about them for days on end.

What many of our motorists on the road fail to understand is the term "Risk" and hence they question things like wearing helmets when using 2 wheelers and seat belts when using 4 wheelers. The fact is that in the event of an accident, these mechanisms can save their lives.
Quote:

OT: So true! How irritating it is. Infact cars should have a speed-sensitive chime/alarm for seat belts, to remind on fasten/unfasten seat belts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
Why is it to be told that wearing seat belts are compulsory? Why can't you use the simple primary safety feature that all cars come equipped with?

It is sad that after spending 9 years in TeamBHP, you have not learnt the basics. Its obvious you haven't gone through the following thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...-pictures.html

Pls go through, you'll understand why it should be compulsory within the city limits?

And please wear seat belts when you drive, we tolerate a lot on our daily routine, tolerate one more irritant
Thanks for your explanations.

I never said I don't wear seat belts. Infact, I have got so used to wearing them that if I drive for even short distances without it I feel uneasy.

I raised this point to really understand its importance in slow speed. Couple of explanations here kind of illustrated that. Like audioholic said, watching videos would still not give one the "feel". Perhaps I was too lazy to google for these info.

Some of you questioned that I being a team-bhp member for so long I din't have this wisdom. Age does not automatically make one wise, nor just being in a company of wise men

Last edited by drsk : 13th May 2016 at 12:07.
drsk is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 11:58   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
2: Crumple zones - dramatic reduction in injuries
Not exactly. Crumple zones are a means for applying physics. Now, air bags & seat belts (even with pretensioners and load limiters) absorb / ensure the driver inertia is limited only to an certain value.

Crumple zones are meant to be reducing the inertial forces on the driver by a significant margin so that the restraints function effectively.

e.g. - when you travel at 48 kmph (current test speed for offset frontal crash) and crash into a barrier you come down to 0kmph resulting an force as equivalent to 90g irrespective of the mass effect (simple 1/2*v^2). Now most normal humans can survive 10-20G for a 1~2 second period (your eyeballs pop out of their sockets beyond 26G). This force is with the mass of the driver / occupant. So we would be having a lot of force acting on the restraints.

Now no crush of the vehicles means all forces are acting on the restraints, meaning you will have rib cage crushed and eyeballs popped (pretty cruel way for death).

So you need to control the force that acts on the restraints and that is were the crumple zones come in to picture. Yes, we could even have a car that would not require an restraint, but that would mean you would be having a front overhang so long that it would seem you have attached a trailer in front of your dash.

Please note that this explanation is based only on the force aspect, though there are other factors like dash / pedal intrusions, steering wheel displacement, etc. which also occur during the crash.

Quote:
Infact cars should have a speed-sensitive chime/alarm for seat belts, to remind on fasten/unfasten seat belts
Please avoid such comments on such public forums. Though you might find it annoying and frustrating, bear in mind that all NCAP / NHTSA crashes happen in an controlled environment and assumptions. Moreover, the ratings are for chances for survival and not specific mortality rates / confirmed injury levels. Dummies are consistent, humans are not. Pain threshold, mortal rate vary with each individual and current science cannot confine it.

Actual vehicle crashes are an entirely different ball game. The speeds are not the same, the crash can be with a light pole, a large truck, a pillar, etc.

Look at the scenario when a truck / suv hits from the side even when you are at <10kmph. The vehicle rolls over and the only thing to make sure you are not thrown out the window are the 3 Point seat belts (no not lap belts). Wearing seatbelts is must on all and every occasion irrespective of any vehicle speed.

Please make no compromise on it, ever Seat belt reminders (SBR) are mandatory in most developed markets and I do believe that we should follow it too.
rajess_in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 12:04   #102
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks to the almighty, I have never experienced even a minor car accident till date. However, once, while running on a treadmill at a speed of 9kmph, I ended up stepping on the plastic cladding on the sides of the treadmill instead of the rubber and fell face down. I suffered a bad back injury and had to rest for two days to recover for a fall at such speed. I can totally imagine the hit a body would take for any speed even slightly over 10 kmph.

The most basic safety rule that I follow while driving is that as soon as you get into my car, the first thing you have to do is fasten your seatbelt.
anuraglakhotia is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 12:14   #103
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Corporates & their weird rules for employee vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodude View Post
Infotech does not issue a sticker unless employee owns the car . This rule applies to both 2 wheeler and 4 wheeler. Now he has become second owner of his own car. Also he cannot take any other family vehicle to office.

Another rule in the company that you must park your car in such a way that it faces the road in between. It cannot be parked in a position in which headlights are facing the compound wall.

Did other bhpians also come across such strange rules anytime? Request you all to share your experiences.
1. Yes, i am in an adjacent company to L&T Infotech and even we have this rule. I think it is a standard now for almost all IT parks. My opinion on what the reason behind might be is that since several companies are subsidizing (if not fully paying for) the employee's parking slots they wouldn't want it to be rented/let out by employees to other employees of other companies where he/she had to bare the full cost of his parking slot

2. You will understand the reason why vehicles are asked to be parked facing the drive way if you wanted to leave your office on peak hours.
If I am having a slot at -1 and if i wanted to take my car out by 18:30 hours, i will have to wait so that a kind hearted person can stop his car (consequentially all the cars behind him) to allow me to enter the line. These cars are being lined up from two floors beneath (-3) and have been moving in snail pace up the ramps which can steep

To make things more clear to you, have put this sequence of images,

Case1:

Your car is in red and you have parked your car with your tail facing the drive way. The white line marking is the path which you will have to take to come out of the parking and move towards exit

Name:  Image4.png
Views: 669
Size:  18.2 KB

Now lets put the traffic on and see where the car number 3 and the two wheeler have to be stopped so that you can reverse your car

Name:  Image5.png
Views: 679
Size:  58.9 KB

And you have begun the process of reversing keeping the car number 3 and all vehicles behind them, while the lane in-front of the car number 3 is moving ahead

Name:  Image6.png
Views: 675
Size:  46.2 KB

By the time you have finished your reverse from the tight parking space and engage your forward, the vehicles in-front of you have moved much ahead and there is empty space which nobody is utilizing

Name:  Image7.png
Views: 669
Size:  34.5 KB

Waiting time of all vehicles behind you increases and frustration builds

Name:  Image8.png
Views: 672
Size:  39.8 KB
The situations gets more intense if you have a BPO company operating on your block whose shift gets over by the time you want to leave your office

Case 2:

Now lets take the case where you have parked your head lights facing the driveway,

Name:  Image1.png
Views: 670
Size:  57.9 KB

And now I'll allow the pictures do the talking

Name:  Image2.png
Views: 664
Size:  41.8 KB

Name:  Image3.png
Views: 672
Size:  44.6 KB

If you want to throw some more permutations into the picture, visualize what happens when you have parked like in Case 1, and you have one more car to the left of you (below your car as per the image) who is trying to reverse on the same time as you are !
Want some more ?
Add one more car to your right side and all three are trying to leave at the same time ! Got it ?

To sum it up from a resource utilization and network planning point of view, the later (Case 2) is just more optimized,.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I heard from someone that a Tata motors office at some particular location allows only Tata cars to be parked inside the premises.
Cars of other brands are supposed to be parked outside!

I think this is more weird than your friend's experience with L&T!
I am on a job where i have to work closely with manufacturers and their supply chain. When i visited a car manufacturer in Thailand and happened to pass through their employee parking the percentage of cars of the same manufacturer standing there was around 3 or 4%. Guess what was the fun topic during break and lunch times :P

Though our conversation was on a casual note, think otherwise !
Think about the embarrassment that their managers would be subjected to !
If what you said is true and not just hearsay, I think it is a sensible move by TATA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
We also park car the way you pointed out. In case of emergency egress is easier if all park facing towards the road, otherwise there have been cases of delays.
Sir no sir, i beg to differ here. On emergencies nobody is encouraged to use the lift nor go to basement to take their cars !
Tamarind is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 12:24   #104
BHPian

Default Re: Corporates & their weird rules for employee vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarind View Post
Sir no sir, i beg to differ here. On emergencies nobody is encouraged to use the lift nor go to basement to take their cars !
Well we are not in buildings, but in huge plants in thousands of acres, where we have assembly points and then dispersal in a phased manner to restrict personnel inside the plant till issue is resolved and to avoid a host of other issues.

Therefore during emergencies these measures of proper parking help in reducing chaos. This is the procedure followed in all 101 countries where we have plants.

Last edited by nkghai : 13th May 2016 at 12:30. Reason: adding
nkghai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 12:30   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Another thing that gets my goat is the absolute lack of any manners of the literate uneducated folks at work, honking on their way from the entrance to the parking, overtaking because they need to save the world, stopping in the middle of the single lane entrance for a tete-a-tete with his colleague and the list goes on!
I really find these aspects weird at office parking locations and fail to understand:

1. Your car is being checked by the security. Person behind you honks.
2. You shift down to first gear before the boom barrier (and speed breaker) to swipe your card. Person behind you tail gates + honks + crosses the boom barrier on your swipe. Does not use his.
3. Going down sharp bend curves, person behind you tail gates, and honks.
4. Same, going up.
5. You are near your bay, and shift down to enter the bay in "one-go" someone overtakes you at 30 km/h + adds a GoD.
6. People overtaking in parking.
7. People parking and not checking if they are in their allocated bracket.
8. Parking too close to the car next door.

Also is it a good practice to keep head lights on in basements. I always do.

***Oh...and. Not using indicators. Well, people do not even use them on the streets. Big deal.

Last edited by asingh1977 : 13th May 2016 at 12:31. Reason: Adding a punch-line.
asingh1977 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote