Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 13th May 2016, 14:23   #106
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Corporates & their idiosyncratic rules for employee vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajess_in View Post
Not exactly. Crumple zones are a means for applying physics. Now, air bags & seat belts (even with pretensioners and load limiters) absorb / ensure the driver inertia is limited only to an certain value.

Crumple zones are meant to be reducing the inertial forces on the driver by a significant margin so that the restraints function effectively.

I get that, but the introduction of crumple zones in cars has been a major game changer for safety
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 15:08   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I get that, but the introduction of crumple zones in cars has been a major game changer for safety
Please understand that Crumple zones is not a exclusive feature / invention related to vehicles. Every beam (pipes, sticks, rods, even your toothbrush) will buckle (crumple) when loaded axially (i.e. u compress them along the length). That is fundamental material property of the entity.

Over the years (and that would be almost 4 decades by now) engineers have applied this principle for materials in crash phenomena. Yes, it did help in improving overall performance of the vehicle body structure in crash assessment.

Cars did crumple / crush even before the times (refer this link as an example: https://www.truck-images.com/1940s-c...ba6de42036df1b), only that engineers emphasized the importance of this phenomenon a little later.

This is basic Strength of Materials (SOM of 3rd semester mechanical / civil engineering) at work and forms a major design criteria behind all designs. Just that marketing teams found an creative way of selling this concept. At the end of the day, all materials (from paper to planes) will crumple eventually on application of the right load.
rajess_in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 15:09   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsk View Post
OT: Regarding compulsory use of seat belts; I never understood why it should be compulsory within the city limits?
Just to add to the many comments: try walking into a wall. 3-4kmph. It hurts, right?

Actually, perhaps a tree branch or low roof is a better example. Smacking yourself on the forehead at walking speed hurts a lot.

Perhaps I'm in a small minority stupid enough to walk into things, but I'm very glad I am, because the experience has informed my driving knowledge.

Quote:
(maybe I was holding onto the steering wheel tight enough).
I suggest that you go through some of the stuff on the internet which describes what happens to people in car accidents. It is gruesome stuff, but we really need to do this if we are going to drive.

People have an idea that holding the wheel is some sort of help. Apparently, in the event, we instinctively grip that wheel as hard as we can, and the result is multiple fractures in our arms and shoulders. I'm not trying to give precise information here, just what I have remembered. Please go to original sources for the information.

I've never understood why people feel that they are safer, in any way, on city roads. Seems to me (I don't have stats) that accidents are far more likely to happen in the dense traffic. The results may not be the dramatic mangled steel of highway highspeed collisions, but the injuries can still be severe or fatal.

All but one of my gallery-of-shame accidents happened in town --- and one of them was in a car park!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 15:14   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please----SNIP----oad.
The point being made was that crumpling to dissipate impact force around the cabin is more recent. Which is why people who are unaware still carry on about "Thud-build-quality".
Everything crumples, even the trucks in the picture you posted. How much force that took, thats the bone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
People have an idea that holding the wheel is some sort of help. Apparently, in the event, we instinctively grip that wheel as hard as we can, and the result is multiple fractures in our arms and shoulders.
Palms, knuckles, wrist, forearms, basically domino, and if youre fast enough, till your chest gets to the steering wheel, and then the rest of you breaks.

Last edited by mayankk : 13th May 2016 at 15:17.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 15:46   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please understand that Crumple zones is not a exclusive feature / invention related to vehicles. Every beam (pipes, sticks, rods, even your toothbrush) will buckle (crumple) when loaded axially (i.e. u compress them along the length). That is fundamental material property of the entity.
Materials crumpling and crumple zone are related but separate things. Crumple 'zone' in a passenger car is the portion in the car where the material is allowed to crumple so that the impact that reaches the passenger zone is reduced. Your first post was correct or rather educative. But you later said that cars did crumple earlier also gives the impression that earlier cars/vehicle to took advantage of this phenomenon to reduce passenger injury - not quite, in my opinion. (sorry for OT, though)
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 17:12   #111
BHPian

Default Re: Corporates & their weird rules for employee vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Not sure about the time saving here. It takes the same time to actually park in that position and Time wise its all the same. Must be aesthetics for the company when they look at their parking lot. The best i could think of is avoiding time delay for other employees while one is trying to reverse for ever.

I like that companies follow proper paper work, seat belt, speed limits etc. Only problem i have seen is employees simply misusing the speed limits and driving at speeds that will save them exactly 6-7 seconds from the safe speed limit recommended. Science wont lie, but still these employees making a fool of themselves. I have personally had altercations inside campus with such intelligent creations.
Though some dont follow the rules here in Europe (at least) you need to park your car facing the street. Parking always means street facing parking - else you fail (of course there are some exceptions).
Such reverse parking (street facing parking) ensures that you are always facing the street while parking and afterwards while taking the car out. Our normal indian style parking ensures that driver's visibility of street is very less and hence more hazardous.
Once you are used to reverse parking, the time for reverse parking and indian style parking is same. But reverse parking is lot safer due to more visibility of street.
subscrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 17:45   #112

Talking about Weird rules, what about companies fleecing employees?
My company recently stopped providing cabs during daytime (Fair enough, this avoids a lot of logistics expenses for the company) but they also charge employees Rs 600 per car and Rs 300 per 2 wheeler per month for parking! The total income annually is upwards of Rs40 lakhs+ for the company and if the parking in the building gets filled up (approx 300-350) then they have appointed valets who drive your car 4+ kMS to a compounded ground nearby through rough road with no shelter and bring it back in the evening. The distance between my house and my office is around 13 KMS but my car ends up doing 36kms per day.
Of-course i put part of the blame on employees as well 1. for not standing up to the company and 2. not using other means of transport available, there are enough public transport options in Bangalore but 95% of the cars parked are single person driven. I personally have chosen Ola Share, saves me half of the money i'd have to spend on Petrol and Parking.
MRAMAB is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 18:34   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Thatís awesome! Hope that employee is still working for you
Yup she still heads our HR department across the company and keeps us all on the a tight leash
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 18:40   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
Though some dont follow the rules here in Europe (at least) you need to park your car facing the street. Parking always means street facing parking - else you fail (of course there are some exceptions). ... ... ...
But not, at least when I last looked, in the British part of it.

My last ExGF, in many ways a better driver than I am, refused to take on reversing into parking space. I tried to persuade her that, if she ever found herself in some dark corner of a carpark with some dodgy-looking guys on her trail, getting straight in and driving straight out would be very much what she would want to do. She would not. To me, reversing in is easier than reversing out!

As to charging for parking space, I remember a conversation in which the company accountant predicted that, one day, a parking space might be considered as a taxable benefit.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 18:44   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRAMAB View Post
My company recently stopped providing cabs during daytime (Fair enough, this avoids a lot of logistics expenses for the company) but they also charge employees Rs 600 per car and Rs 300 per 2 wheeler per month for parking!
To put another perspective to this, it may be an idea by your company in trying to dissuade people from getting their own vehicles and to use as much as public transport as possible!
TorqueyTechie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 18:59   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
To put another perspective to this, it may be an idea by your company in trying to dissuade people from getting their own vehicles and to use as much as public transport as possible!
Well does not seem to be working
MRAMAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 20:44   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
I think most of the fortune 500 companies have a strict rule that the top executives / managing directors / key person's are not allowed to drive within the city themselves & must compulsorily be chauffer driven.

People may think this is taking things too far, but given how much shareholder money & how many people's livelihoods depend on the decision of such people, IMO it sufficiently justifies such a rule.
It is certainly justified. As mentioned by others, if multiple executives are travelling by air also to a common destination, they are not allowed to travel all together in same flight (impact to business / continuity / succession etc. being the reasons).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPanda View Post
Rules are made for the safety of employees. Now if employees want to play the cat and mouse game (helmet/seatbelt till gate), then it's their call. We have the same rule of not allowing employees with no helmets or not wearing seat belt. All we can do is spread awareness.

Best approach is to understand the reason behind these rules. They may look to be time taking/unnecessary, but it's all for the greater good.

Regarding security guards, I request you not to fight them. These poor souls neither have the authority nor have the intelligence to bypass the laid down rules. Whatever they have been instructed, they will follow that to the T. I understand that in the sweltering heat it is painful to spend more time in backtracking and coming back again, but try and understand their plight. Doing close to 12-15 hours shift, 26 days a month, in this weather for minimum wage is no easy task.

So next time you see a guard give them a smile, appreciate them for what they do and listen to them.
Truely agree with both points that rules are for a greater good and about the security guards. In my company also I have seen some of my so-called qualified-yet-uneducated colleagues interact with these guards in a manner which is very wrong. The guards are merely doing there duty and at times against the weather conditions as well so please smile, be polite and they would also return the gesture. If an employee has an issue with a certain rule, take it up with the concerned department / management but not the guards who are merely following orders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I was accused of overspeeding once with my loud exhaust in first gear (car was too highly tuned and was lumpy at low speeds). I challenged by asking them to measure. They kept saying "we know". I insisted on them actually proving my speed which they could not.

Now they have speed cameras

Some, like Infosys are a real pain - thank god for Uber.
Maybe a good decision to have cameras to enforce limits, else just by mentioning a limit but not being able to measure it might not be fully serving the purpose. Need to check if we have cameras in my office, I doubt that we do not. Just curious (OT), what was the pain about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
At least he is using that helmet.
Thank you for doing what you did. As you said, he is using the helmet which is most important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Another thing that gets my goat is the absolute lack of any manners of the literate uneducated folks at work, honking on their way from the entrance to the parking, overtaking because they need to save the world, stopping in the middle of the single lane entrance for a tete-a-tete with his colleague and the list goes on!
Totally with you on the above points. At times, some folks drive in the parking lot as if it were the Buddh International Circuit they were driving on. Parkings are not the place for racing or overtaking.

Quote:
OT: Regarding compulsory use of seat belts; I never understood why it should be compulsory within the city limits?

I understand that seat belt is absolutely needed when one drives on the highways where the average speed is 60+Kmph. However, within the city limits the average will be about 20Kmph and here insisting on wearing a seat belt is more of a irritant.
My first reaction after reading this was, Did I actually read this or were my eyes too tired after a long week. a BHP-ian asking why to wear seat-belts? There has been enough discussion and I hope going forward you would be wearing seat-belts AT ALL TIMES irrespective of the speed limits. Do it for your near-n-dear ones, bear this one more irritant for them if not for self.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarind View Post
If you want to throw some more permutations into the picture, visualize what happens when you have parked like in Case 1, and you have one more car to the left of you (below your car as per the image) who is trying to reverse on the same time as you are !
Want some more ?
Add one more car to your right side and all three are trying to leave at the same time ! Got it ?

To sum it up from a resource utilization and network planning point of view, the later (Case 2) is just more optimized,.
Thank you for the pictorial representation of what was discussed / posted about by many.

Cheers,
S
sukhoi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 23:55   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
A friend who works in shell told me that it is compulsory to have a car with ABS & Airbags to be able to get car to office and also security guard won't let you in or out, until you are wearing a seat belt.

Pretty nice i should say, it's a different story that my friend had to buy a new car because his old car did not have ABS or Airbags :P
I work for Shell too.
If I happen to be sitting in a car without seat-belts (driver or passenger does not matter), I may lose my job.

If I am caught talking on the phone while driving, same result.

It also applies if i am a passenger in a vehicle and the driver is talking on the phone. Even applies to cabs.

"Safety" is a condition for employment at Shell.
Mudcat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2016, 10:30   #119
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Please stick to the thread title and avoid off-topic discussions . Thanks!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2016, 22:40   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coplay View Post
Interesting set of rules every company seems to have.
I work in Bangalore inside a building called Prestige Shantiniketan based in Whitefield.
AFAIK, there dont seem to be any rules here inspite of almost 30-40k people working. Atleast, the rules like below are only on paper.
1. 10kmph speed limit - Nobody Cares to monitor, nobody cares to slow down especially in the basements. I've seen people testing top speeds on their cars here.
2. Helmet/Seatbelt - [b]Nobody cares....

I wish this office premises comes up with some strict rules. The only thing they do is make one ways all around the campus with no explanation of why they do that.
I work in PSN too, it is one hideous campus when it comes to rules and cleanliness. The Multilevel car park is amazing piece that they have but the unprofessional guards always putting the locks on the private cars parked as they like is the only duty they abide to! The cabbies are always parking where the feel like, the cars are lined up next to each other barely leaving any space for vehicles to pass and added to it the pain of showing ID card to get into the campus rather than the company/prestige issuing the stickers or tags. Sometimes I wish there were a few basic rules out here.
bhansali_hardik is offline   Reply With Quote