Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 10th June 2016, 14:44   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Car heist: 7 Hyundai Cretas stolen in predawn raid on Chennai showroom

Well, here's my take on the whole thing:

When the thieves stumbled upon the brand new Cretas standing in the showroom:
Quote:
A gang of robbers barged into a Hyundai car yard at Manapakkam here in the wee hours of Wednesday and drove away in seven of the automakerís mid-range Creta model vehicles.
When the poor chaps found out midway that it runs on the Verna's engine and doesn't come with an AWD:
Quote:
5 cars were recovered...
mukul32 is offline   (22) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2016, 22:34   #17

Default Re: Car heist: 7 Hyundai Cretas stolen in predawn raid on Chennai showroom

That's a funny guess you did mukul 32. Poor thieves might have got over some quarrels on the way back after theft, and would have ended up with leaving the cars somewhere. Evil part of my mind says, it's time for Indian Fast and furious crew to form over. Ha ha.
VishJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2016, 00:57   #18
MAS
Senior - BHPian

All 7 cars recovered.

Just wondering, how woukd Hyundai deal with these recovered Cretas? Will they sell it off to an unsuspecting customer as a new car or gift it Chennai Police for their everyday use?
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 13:51   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Just wondering, how would Hyundai deal with these recovered Cretas? Will they sell it off to an unsuspecting customer as a new car or gift it Chennai Police for their everyday use?
Wait; Lemme guess this one.
Er, I won't be surprised if our 'beloved' auto journos suddenly start getting some long term Cretas despite all that demand!
That also gives Hyundai even more media coverage for the car, over and above all those 'special feature' ads. Double win!

Anyway, jokes apart, I don't see a company like Hyundai selling them off quietly to customers, especially after the media attention the incident has received. People would keep their eye out while buying.

As for the cops, the Creta is far from a potential cop car. It is high quality and powerful alright, but overpriced, not maruti-efficient, and not rugged either.

Perhaps, at dealer level, he may try to move them at heavy discounts or something like that, but I doubt many people would be willing to buy ex-stolen cars.

Last edited by mukul32 : 13th June 2016 at 14:00.
mukul32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 14:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
All 7 cars recovered.

Just wondering, how woukd Hyundai deal with these recovered Cretas? Will they sell it off to an unsuspecting customer as a new car or gift it Chennai Police for their everyday use?
If Hyundai has an employee internal sales/discount program, they might use that route to dispose off these vehicles? Could be quite lucrative for employees, especially if they are really deeply discounted.
KiloAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 14:30   #21
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
Wait; Lemme guess this one.
Er, I won't be surprised if our 'beloved' auto journos suddenly start getting some long term Cretas despite all that demand!
That also gives Hyundai even more media coverage for the car, over and above all those 'special feature' ads. Double win!

Anyway, jokes apart, I don't see a company like Hyundai selling them off quietly to customers, especially after the media attention the incident has received. People would keep their eye out while buying.
Thank you for the confidence. I am more worried as i have booked a Creta two weeks back and waiting...
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 20:50   #22
BHPian

A close friend's friend had his Scorpio stolen earlier this month. He had put his car for sale, a guy pretending to test drive the car, drove it away right under the owner's nose. Damn! this is really crazy.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/52860144.cms

You can read about it in the link above. I will have to check whether he got his Scorpio back or not...
krivbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2016, 08:19   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by krivbel View Post
A close friend's friend had his Scorpio stolen earlier this month. He had put his car for sale, a guy pretending to test drive the car, drove it away right under the owner's nose. Damn! this is really crazy.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/52860144.cms

You can read about it in the link above. I will have to check whether he got his Scorpio back or not...
He got his car back. Please see link below

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/52963800.cms

Moral of story - always stay in car or remove key when switching drivers and hand over
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote