Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 31st July 2016, 14:55   #16
BHPian

Default re: Gurgaon: Traffic management, rain woes and road experiences

I am a resident of Chennai, though I originally hail from the state of Bihar. Having seen the deluge of December 2015 in Chennai, I can only imagine what the people of Gurgaon and Bangalore have undergone.
I would like to make few quick points which relates to the gobbled up infrastructure woes of our Indian cities. The storm water drain built by Britishers in Chennai were able to carry gallons of water drained from the roads and the old areas developed by our colonizers remained free from inundation. The so called hitech areas like IT Expressway and recently REGULARIZED areas built on water bodies bore the brunt of flooding. So, unless your drains and adjacent rivers are desilted, trust me this horrible problem is gonna haunt us with its prime audacity!
MDED is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2016, 16:46   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDED View Post
.... The storm water drain built by Britishers in Chennai were able to carry gallons of water drained from the roads and the old areas developed by our colonizers remained free from inundation. The so called hitech areas like IT Expressway and recently REGULARIZED areas built on water bodies bore the brunt of flooding. So, unless your drains and adjacent rivers are desilted, trust me this horrible problem is gonna haunt us with its prime audacity!
Same story in GGN:

http://www.ndtv.com/gurgaon-news/gur...blamed-1438326

A dip into the past might help explain the present. A large tract of land facing the last pillars of the under-construction Rapid Metro is sector 58, a low-lying area where a Bund called the Ghata Bund was built in the 19th century. The bund held back water that came down from the Aravallis on the other side.

In 2011, despite a clear warning from the Irrigation Department of Haryana not to construct in the submergence area went unheeded as a massive high-rise complex now dominates the skyline here, even though the threat of flooding hasn't been tackled.

Sector 58 isn't an exception. The area around Badshahpur Jheel, that's near Subhash Chowk, closer to the Southern Peripheral Expressway has also seen rapid transformation. From a low-lying area that had a water body, in the last one decade, it has seen rapid changes. Not too long back, in June 2013, a portion of this was filled up and now the Southern Peripheral Road cuts across the original water body. In a low lying area like this, such concrete lining, where the water has no escape route, it is likely to clog the roads, adding to the traffic snarls.

Such examples are seen across Gurgaon, where traditional nullahs, water bodies, green patches have systematically disappeared making way for a concrete jungle.
aditya101 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2016, 18:19   #18
BHPian

http://www.hindustantimes.com/gurgao...9WtVluj9J.html

Quote:
A tussle between the municipal corporation of Gurgaon (MCG) and forest department ensured that 250 rainwater harvesting pits could not be built in and around Ghata village this season, which may well have mitigated the havoc caused by rain over the last two days.

The forest department claimed that the MCG’s plan to build these structures came too late and could be not completed before the monsoon. The failure to build these pits ensured water flowed unabated from Ghata to Badshahpur.
The area used to have a large water body called the Ghata lake, which in the process of urbanization got destroyed. However, the water from Ghata hill still takes the same route to enter the city and ends up flooding Golf Course Road.

To avoid the situation, the civic bodies planned to create 250 rainwater harvesting pits. However, things didn’t go as planned and the natural creek from Ghata hills does not have any space to flow, nor is there a proper connection from the creek to a drain.

Ghata lake, a seasonal water body in Sector 58, was documented in the Gazette of India (1883). The natural lake and the bund used to have enough water till five years ago and was over 50 foot deep.

The water harvesting structures was to hold the runoff from the Aravallis. The runoff water usually leads to waterlogging in areas adjacent to Ghata such as Wazirabad, Silani, Haiderpur Viran, Chakkarpur and Nathupur.

However, the forest department objected to the proposal as MCG failed to do groundtruthing and provide an estimate for the project.

“The project was unrealistic. Two hundred and fifty structures cannot be constructed without conducting any groundtruthing. Hence, it is not possible to comment on the same or ascertain practicality of the scheme,” MD Sinha, conservator of forest, Gurgaon, said.

“The only solution is to increase water holding capacity of the city. Though the civic administration plans to create artificial drains, but water always has a natural way of finding its route. Also, water always takes the least restricted path and, in this city, it is the roads. Previously, behind Ghata there used to be 100-200 hectares where water used to collect. Unfortunately, those areas are now urbanised,” said Chetan Agarwal, environmentalist.
Note the dismal condition of the drain:

As natural flow of Badshahpur drain was blocked near the Delhi-Gurgaon expressway, water started flowing backwards leading to inundation of several areas, including Hero Honda Chowk and 10 sectors in the vicinity. Water from Hero Honda Chowk had to be pumped out to make way for traffic on Friday. (Abhinav Saha/HT Photo)

Last edited by aditya101 : 31st July 2016 at 18:27.
aditya101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2016, 18:29   #19
BANNED

On the other side, we can do our bit by using Metro, car pool and other public transports to reduce traffic. I have observed that most of the car strangling have single drivers in NH8 while moving to and fro from gurgaon. even people commuting to cyber city can use taxi and private vehicles instead of metro which is a very good option. I admit that there are instance where we need to pull our vehicle but we can choose to make restricted use.
ruchirtnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2016, 19:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am a resident of Chennai, though I originally hail from the state of Bihar. Having seen the deluge of December 2015 in Chennai, I can only imagine what the people of Gurgaon and Bangalore have undergone.
I would like to make few quick points which relates to the gobbled up infrastructure woes of our Indian cities. The storm water drain built by Britishers in Chennai were able to carry gallons of water drained from the roads and the old areas developed by our colonizers remained free from inundation. The so called hitech areas like IT Expressway and recently REGULARIZED areas built on water bodies bore the brunt of flooding. So, unless your drains and adjacent rivers are desilted, trust me this horrible problem is gonna haunt us with its prime audacity!
All the prime old areas of each of our cities were built "along with nature" and the flow of water etc.

Even our traditional builders in olden times didn't make foolish greedy short sighted decisions like these new age planners and builders do.

The root cause is poor planning, rampant corruption and the desperate need to house zillions of working immigrants into each city of ours. Rather than build brand new fully organised satellite towns with all the mod cons and create newer semi urban areas in the hinterland, the respective successive governments of each state have collectively ruined this country and its towns and cities over the last 70 odd years since Independence.

Right up to the 1980's the quality of planning and building and design was still good, because there were high quality civil engineers and town planners who worked smartly and hard, building a legacy for the future. They built along with the original colonial infrastructure and made things comfortable - just look at all the government layouts and townships in places like Jamshedpur and Kudremukh and Dhanbad and so on...first class.

Todays zillions and zillions of newly minted engineers from squillions of these second rate or third rate newly minted institutions? - they are mostly apathetic, greedy, pathetically under qualified, badly educated and mass produced dunderheads. And anyway most civil and construction engineers all want to live near the bright lights and want to work in the "get rich quick" software and IT industry and consumer businesses. There is an absolute dearth of first class talent in civil planning and allied services.

There is almost nothing left of the original infrastructure now and over the last 15-16 years we have seen the rampant rise of corrupt private "get rich quick" builders and real estate devils who have completely ruined our country with their evil political nexus.

I remember in Madras there was a huge low lying water body near Arumbakkam and that has gotten completely built over. Same with what was called Lake Area in Nungambakkam. The worst is that they've built the Chennai Metro right along a watercourse near Thiruvanmiyur - one day, when Nature Strikes, we are really going to have trouble. Pallikaranai Marshes used to be a bird watchers paradise. So was Velachery. Now they are massive garbage dumps and hotbeds of disease and illness.

In Bangalore, driving into this lovely city in the 1980's and 1990's, I remember lots and lots of lakes near the now horrid mess of KR Puram - all the way from Kolar and Hoskote etc. And on the Mysore Road the Vrishabharathi area and inside Bangalore in HSR Layout and Marathahalli and Bellandur and CV Raman Nagar near Bagmane Tech Park and so on.

Every single one of these original tanks and water bodies have been swallowed up by greedy filthy builders and politicians.

It is our own fault and we will certainly suffer for it. Kalyugam. and then Kalki Avataram. and then the end of the World by Water.

Frankly, I would be happy when this happens because we humans poison everything we touch. Instead of living along with nature and the contours of the land, we maim, kill, harm and create a mess wherever we go. And for that, we sincerely deserve nothing back from Nature except a Summary Lesson as outlined above.

Im not a doom sayer by nature, but the way things have been going these last 15-20 years, it is a fact that this will happen, sooner rather than later.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 31st July 2016 at 19:30.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2016, 21:42   #21
BHPian

Sir, thanks for the mention of Jamshedpur and the planned townships of Dhanbad in your post, ahead of a lot of cities.
Jamshedpur is more than a century old and still going strong.
Koyla Nagar, Karmik Nagar, CHD Townaship, CCWO Township, CMRI Township, CFRI Township, ISM Campus, BIT Campus, FCI Township of Dhanbad are apt examples too.
Some of them more than half a century old and still going strong due to epitome of Town Planning.
In the same breath, ShaktiNagar township of NTPC near Singrauli needs to be talked of.

Last edited by sauravdc : 31st July 2016 at 21:44.
sauravdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2016, 23:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Rains actually stop the clocks in Gurgaon. With the first few showers of the season, I had posted these on the It's Raining in my city thread. Blaming drivers for the mess is one thing, but utter lack of public infrastructure cannot be excused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
It rained somewhat today in NCR and all sorts of "pagal nallahs" are created on the roads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Another day, same result. In fact even worse. The day before yesterday, it rained a little heavily for about an hour and it brought Gurgaon to its knees. People reached home post midnight!

Commute distances? All within 10-20 kms.

For me it took well over 2 hours just to get out of the parking! Watch this to see why, this was the chaos outside -

Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 11:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Well, honestly it is just inadequate maintenance. I might be wrong and maybe too harsh on the municipal corporation or HUDA or whoever is responsible.
Partially yes. More than maintenance, it is the bad design and pathetic planning that has created a monster of this mess called Gurgaon. Renaming it also was of no help. MCG plays its role of making things worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
The main cause is impatience and indiscipline of drivers. Every one wants to get ahead of the queue! We see it at red lights, at junctions, at slip roads. People will jump the queue and then try to shoehorn in at the head. Slightest of slowdown and people will jump over medians to the otherwise promptly causing jam there also.
Absolutely true. But we Indians love to break rules when no one is watching. In Gurgaon there are only 350 traffic cops responsible to keep this watch. needless to say that half of them are incompetent or plain lazy in doing their jobs. On the morning of fateful day I was stuck at Badshapur Chowk (recently named as 'Mahashaya Hans Ram Chowk') because of blatant red light jumping by tippers when there were 4 cops sitting at a police post right there. After 5 minutes, one of the cop got up to clear the mess which he could have prevented at the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Calm down friend. Things may not be as bad as you sounds. No city in this world can build a foolproof system which can safguard from fury of nature.
Please visit walled city of old Delhi (built by Mughals) to see the drainage system during the monsoons. Water collects there but drains very quickly. This was not the fury of nature. It was just heavy rainfall for 90 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
The intensity of rains vary year after year. I did not see any report of flooding in Gurgaon last year.
Last year I took one hour forty-five minutes to travel a distance of 5 kms for the same reasons. I thought it was worse that could happen on Golf course extension road but this year's jams made that look like smooth flow.

Quote:
Exacly! Instead of planning and constructing proper drainage system Gurgaon Administration is destroying the existing jheels and nallahs for sheer greed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101 View Post

Such examples are seen across Gurgaon, where traditional nullahs, water bodies, green patches have systematically disappeared making way for a concrete jungle.
To add to that they are not even constructing alternate drains to carry out the water. The only option for rain water is to collect on the roads and evaporate subsequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
On the other side, we can do our bit by using Metro, car pool and other public transports to reduce traffic
One of my friend reached at Huda City Centre by Metro at 5:30 PM. He took 5 hours to reach Sector 49 (12 kms max) after that. Could have returned and reached Agra in lesser time!
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 11:27   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
One of my friend reached at Huda City Centre by Metro at 5:30 PM. He took 5 hours to reach Sector 49 (12 kms max) after that. Could have returned and reached Agra in lesser time!
Does it take 5 hours via metro to reach sector 49

Last edited by ruchirtnt : 1st August 2016 at 11:34.
ruchirtnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 11:29   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
Does it took 5 hours via metro to reach sector 49
Another friend took 6 hours from Max Hospital and my wife took 4 hours from sector 44. The distance is usually covered in 25-30 minutes in peak hours.
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 12:51   #26
BHPian

1. As soon as the first rain drop touches gurgaon, the traffic lights stop working.
2. Traffic cops are too inadequate in numbers. But this is not an excuse. One can see them jumping in front of cars from their hiding places to issue challans (or to extort money) in normal days. But as soon as jams start building at any intersection, the cops go away.
3. Local commute of 10 Kms usually take 1 hr. People coming from Faridabad and even from Delhi/Noida (avoiding NH8), take lesser time. Local roads are insufficient to handle rapid expansion happening in gurgaon.
4. NH8 "IS" the main road in gurgaon. pretty much that's it. Rest of the roads inside gurgaon stand no chance to handle even 1/10the the traffic if NH8 is closed down.
5. Existing roads have every chance to widen further. Apart from 1 single flyover over subhash chowk, there is NO other flyover anywhere inside gurgaon!
6. A clear pattern, all roads maintainence work is invariably taken up either just before monsoon, or during it. One monsoon season, and all roads wash away. Tells us about the quality of work (corruption ...). Tenders for road maintenance work every year is good for contractors.
7. Road construction takes insanely long time to get completed. Golf course road widening is going on for, like, ages.
8. Drainage system - what is that?
9. reckless and impatient driving. But one must consider the frustration level of daily commuters who have to go through an ordeal everyday to reach offices/home in time.

Last edited by Nav-i-gator : 1st August 2016 at 12:52.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 20:14   #27
BHPian

Default Re: Gurgaon: Traffic management, rain woes and road experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Have a think. AND share if you agree.

Gurgaon Delhi traffic jams are not due to rain. They happen every day. Rain only caused them to become worse.

The main cause is impatience and indiscipline of drivers. Every one wants to get ahead of the queue! We see it at red lights, at junctions, at slip roads. People will jump the queue and then try to shoehorn in at the head. Slightest of slowdown and people will jump over medians to the otherwise promptly causing jam there also.

Rains only made it worse.
I completely agree to your point sir. The complete lack of discipline on the roads is just shocking. So many times I see this general impatience and complete disregard to any road convention actually resulting in chaos. Not only on roads, almost everywhere there is just such a shocking display of inhuman attitude and arrogance that is disgusting to say the least.

I used to love to drive and sometimes would not understand my dad's apprehension for long highway drives or in general discomfort in going out, considering in his times he used to love to drive too. Now I am able to connect with him. Driving in general on our highways is rarely enjoyable as you keep seeing so many people risking their lives and yours too.

Regards
Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2016, 20:40   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hey folks, what is the status of NH8?

Some people from my apartment who were at Hero Honda chowk around 6pm reported about 3-4ft water at HH chowk till almost haldiram. A neighbor took 3 hours to cross and just reached. My father is at udyog vihar and is contemplating whether he should check in a hotel rather than traveling.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 29th August 2016 at 20:42.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2016, 05:59   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Just repeating my point. On one of the television channels yesterday the reporter was showing ambulance stuck in traffic somewhere in Central Delhi. Sure enough you could see some smart Alec's jumping over too oncoming lanes.........and then we bemoan gridlocks.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2016, 13:42   #30
BHPian

Get your dose of street justice Arnab Goswami for Delhi's problems with recent rains:

aditya101 is offline   Reply With Quote