Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 3rd August 2016, 20:06   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Woman and minor raped, robbed on the Delhi-Kanpur National Highway

There have been a couple of highway robberies (thank God not rapes) on the NH2/AH1 around Etawah, in broad daylight. So things are pretty bad. Remember AH1 is the main artery connecting Delhi to Kolkata.
sgiitk is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2016, 20:24   #47
BHPian

With statements like " boys will be boys ", the political class has emboldened the rapists. Somebody need to tell them that everything is not about politics and elections. Whether you call rape survivor or rape victim, life is not going to change for those affected. Even tougher laws like POCSO have failed to stem the rot. Disgusting!. While we talk of this incident, another rape happens in UP and a Samajwadi neta (lady ) taking on a traffic constable for "daring" to challan her for a traffic offence
CoolCarNi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2016, 23:09   #48
BHPian

We can go on and on here, but one question comes to my mind. One which I fear does not have a simple answer. What can we do to change this mentality? How many of us here would have not felt uncomfortable when conversing with a rape victim? Perhaps the time has come for us to introspect , both as a society and as responsible men. Only then can we even think of actually changing the system. One this is for sure, such incidents are a blot on our collective consciousness.
ankurchaturvedi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2016, 10:49   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCarNi View Post
With statements like " boys will be boys ", the political class has emboldened the rapists. Somebody need to tell them that everything is not about politics and elections. Whether you call rape survivor or rape victim, life is not going to change for those affected. Even tougher laws like POCSO have failed to stem the rot. Disgusting! While we talk of this incident, another rape happens in UP and a Samajwadi neta (lady ) taking on a traffic constable for "daring" to challan her for a traffic offence
Things are decaying pretty fast. Even the patriarch of the SP (of boys will be boys fame) has been critical of his party men, being too busy with Land Grab. I do not have much hope till the elections, since now hold ups will increase for collecting 'election funds'. I UP crime peaks before elections, irrespective of the poll prospects.
sgiitk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2016, 13:15   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD_GHY View Post
T What wrong did the women commit except having a body monsters crave for?

I pray the same for this little girl. May the forces be with her, if not this screwed up society.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
You're talking about a very small segment of society that is accepting and liberal in the true sense.

In response, institutions clamp down even more on freedom: colleges impose ridiculous dress codes, working women's hostels impose curfews, hell even the government steps in and bans women from working late or at night. Has anyone bothered analysing whether this knee-jerk nonsense actually reduces crime?

I've said it before: we need a kinder, gentler society not necessarily a richer, flashier one. We can start with the victims of sexual abuse and assault.
Really really good posts guys. We as a society have gone backwards. Women are seen/perceived to be the weaker sex even by women. It is time when relevant authorities put their foot down and say enough is enough. We need a look at all practices which keep asserting the fact that women are 2nd grade citizens, be it at school, college, office, in public.

Someone said in a post earlier, that he was blessed with a baby girl and fears about her safety - I am in a same scenario. I am a father to both a girl and a boy and to me there is no difference. I also feel the need to educate and make our sons respect girls from a young age. Only then our country can rid ourselves of this malaise.
Education is empowerment for the girls as far as I am concerned.

Also, the shaming of men who commit such heinous crimes should be mandatory. There should be absolute zero tolerance for any kind of bad behavior to women. My heart cries for the innocent victims and I wish we could do more for them rather than rant and express our thoughts.
pratyush6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2016, 16:09   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

In all this discussion I think we are forgetting that the main Delhi-Kanpur highway is NH2/AH1 and not NH91 which is the older one. It is true that NH91 is about 45km shorter, but almost nobody uses it. The highway is in a mess. It is more popular for getting to mofussil places which are closer that way. Take even this unfortunate event, it was trying to get to such a place. I for one have not used NH91 for well over 35 years.
sgiitk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2016, 22:53   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
In all this discussion I think we are forgetting that the main Delhi-Kanpur highway is NH2/AH1 and not NH91 which is the older one. It is true that NH91 is about 45km shorter, but almost nobody uses it. The highway is in a mess. It is more popular for getting to mofussil places which are closer that way. Take even this unfortunate event, it was trying to get to such a place. I for one have not used NH91 for well over 35 years.
Sir, just 2 days before the incident happened, i happened to drive down this stretch of NH-91 in the evening at around 2000 hrs in the night upto aligarh and back to my home. All this was with my family. Me, my friend, My wife and 2 small kids. Let me tell you that the stretch is deadly silent even during the evening hours. Long stretch without any policing is the norm here. Even the barriers that police is maintaining is simply for extorting money from truck drivers. They are not concerned with anything. But let me tell you that locals staying here do have the guts. I saw many locals on two-wheeler with beautifully dressed ladies riding at 2200 hrs. I was surprised on this. Not sure if all the criminals had declared a holiday that day.

Secondly, about 3 years back, around november/december, i was returning from Bharatpur bird sanctuary at around 2100 hrs in the evening with my sister, wife and kid to my home in Delhi on this NH2/AH1. Somewhere after crossing, Nuh, something hit my car from side and there was a loud bang. I made it a point that i increased my speed further and had made up my mind to simply hit anyone who tries to stop me. Reached a well lit dhaba with many cars parked there. Inquired the locals and they confirmed that this is a very famous modus operandi to loot the vehicles. Inspected my vehicle and found that the door visor was shattered.

However, ever since the day i was posted in Jamshedpur and used to travel all the way to Patna for some business purpose, i had befriended some overnite bus drivers who provided me some very useful tips to avoid such nasty incidences.

After few months when i was transferred to Patna and the infamous Jungle-raaj was at its peak with Lalu Prasad yadav and his wife at helm, my work required my presence till midnight. Although my office was within the city, but still i had a simple rule for me in my mind-Lock the car, belt myself up, steel rod on the seat next to me, throttle at its full and i will not stop my car even if policemen ask me to stop. i would run them over in the night. What-so-ever are the circumstances in the morning, is another matter altogether.
su1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2016, 15:12   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post

Someone said in a post earlier, that he was blessed with a baby girl and fears about her safety - I am in a same scenario. I am a father to both a girl and a boy and to me there is no difference. I also feel the need to educate and make our sons respect girls from a young age. Only then our country can rid ourselves of this malaise.
Education is empowerment for the girls as far as I am concerned..
With due respect Sir the issue is Law and order problem not gender issue. Whatever happened here is wrong and whoever commited should be prosecuted strictly. But trivalising issue and passing comments boys should educated is unwarranted.
As usual our media doesn't tell whole story and we are left writting are opinions and are hearsay.
FrozeninTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2016, 16:38   #54
Senior - BHPian

My fellow citizens, instead of dreaming about a better state of affairs, please demand lenient gun laws and you'd be surprised how incidents, especially such as these, would start unfolding in a whole lot different way.

Anybody who thinks the govt or police or any other department is going to change for the better, well, if wishes were horses...

Instead, we need laws that give a citizen the right to protect themselves adequately, especially in a country like ours!!
fine69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2016, 17:00   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
My fellow citizens, instead of dreaming about a better state of affairs, please demand lenient gun laws and you'd be surprised how incidents, especially such as these, would start unfolding in a whole lot different way.

Anybody who thinks the govt or police or any other department is going to change for the better, well, if wishes were horses...

Instead, we need laws that give a citizen the right to protect themselves adequately, especially in a country like ours!!

What you are proposing is a double edged sword - consequences both ways.
I think this would lead to more chaos and mayhem.
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.
rrsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2016, 17:46   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
What you are proposing is a double edged sword - consequences both ways.
I think this would lead to more chaos and mayhem.
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.
Is the current state anything to be proud of?

Today only the goons have weapons, I'm proposing a state when them as well as regular citizens like us possess arms. Think about it again, they have guns as such, its not that the law is a deterrent to them.

I've been witness to when my grandma's chain was snatched right outside my house. Then last year itself my wife's bag was snatched right from her arms when she was travelling in an auto-rickshaw. Both the times the cops told me that its better things happened without a confrontation as those guys carry guns and knives.

My car was stolen last month, not that I was a witness but even if I was to accidentally confront those guys do you really think they would've been carrying a bouquet for me.

There are ample videos on youtube or liveleak when people have been stabbed or shot when they tried to confront a snatcher. Bloody chain snatchers carry arms and I cannot??!!

And do you really see chaos and mayhem, say in the US states, where the gun laws are relaxed. People don't start shooting each other just because they carry a weapon.

This country is going to dogs and all that they offer me is a pepper spray!

Trust me, when people get to know that the girl they are planning to molest, abduct or rape might have a gun in her purse, the question of 'what are the odds' gets answered differently.

Sorry but I get very very angry when I see crime against women and I can assure you that neither the gun laws would change nor would the crime against women. Until then, all I can do is continue to act like a paranoid guy everytime my wife gets in to a taxi or is out in public on her own.

Last edited by fine69 : 10th August 2016 at 17:48.
fine69 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2016, 17:51   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
With due respect Sir the issue is Law and order problem not gender issue. Whatever happened here is wrong and whoever commited should be prosecuted strictly. But trivalising issue and passing comments boys should educated is unwarranted.
As usual our media doesn't tell whole story and we are left writting are opinions and are hearsay.
Trivializing? Have you read my posts to say that I am trivializing the issue?

What I have mentioned is a deeper malaise that happens everyday with females in our country. What I have said is that if anyone is respectful to girls from a young age, he would never turn out to be a monster.

Law and order problems are everywhere, how we respond is in our control. So, when I say, a filthy joker politician trivialized the issue by saying this could be opposition's handiwork, that is preposterous. The current CM said, the victims are being tutored, his father had once said, 'Boys will make mistakes'. That is what I don't accept. If these so called 'men' were better educated then their hearts would bleed for the victims.

How we are brought up plays the biggest role in our lives. What we see at home, is what we accept as the truth generally speaking. And if you see women being treated as 2nd grade humans, you would grow to be the same.

This is OT, I understand, but I hope everyone sees an episode of Satyamev Jayate, where Aamir Khan discusses this issue. The men of this country owe a lot more to the women folk. We have consistently failed.

We need both speedy and ruthless justice along with long term solutions.
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2016, 18:10   #58
BHPian

I feel its high time we go the Middle east way in punishments for such criminals once proven guilty. Alternatively, once convicted, they should be handed over to women at the most important junction in the city to deliver justice. Unfortunately in our country such criminals are treated like grooms (damads) at the expense of tax payers money
centaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2016, 18:38   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Law and order problems are everywhere, how we respond is in our control. So, when I say, a filthy joker politician trivialized the issue by saying this
How we are brought up plays the biggest role in our lives.

This is OT, I understand, but I hope everyone sees an episode of Satyamev Jayate, where Aamir Khan discusses this issue. The men of this country owe a lot more to the women folk.
I am sorry to say your remarks too personal in nature and reeks of gender bashing for which I feel it is not appropriate to reply here.
We still don't know what has really happened and what prompted those culprits to commit crime.
FrozeninTime is offline   Reply With Quote