Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2017, 16:38   #961
BHPian
 
Secretariat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 150
Thanked: 727 Times
Default Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Miracles do happen.

After a long time, yesterday night the FASTAG lane at Devanahalli actually worked as it is meant to. There was a guy sitting on top of the lane, only tag holders were allowed through and the boom barrier opened smoothly on the tag being read. The other lanes all had a million cars admiring the scenery and listening the Beethoven's Second Car Horn Symphony.

I sailed through without stopping. I am still reeling in shock.
Secretariat is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2017, 18:22   #962
Senior - BHPian
 
arun_josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,210
Thanked: 3,927 Times
Default Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

This is how the fastag experience should be - Karur to Dindigul toll plaza. No security attendant to stop you for verification, no barricades, no need to stop for detection, no speed beakers. It was a breeze through this toll.

arun_josie is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2017, 18:16   #963
BHPian
 
bejoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 626
Thanked: 403 Times
Default Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
This is how the fastag experience should be - Karur to Dindigul toll plaza. No security attendant to stop you for verification, no barricades, no need to stop for detection, no speed beakers. It was a breeze through this toll.
Yes, this is how it should be.

I drove from Kochi yesterday and except Thrissur (Paliyekkara), all the ETC lanes were dedicated. There were party-spoilers, drivers who were arguing with the guard to let them in and many non-tagged vehicles would follow them, creating a mess. But none of them were allowed in and were turned back. But lost lot of time due to this.

Kudos to those guards and the toll operators and all the BHPians here who had complained to NHAI for allowing non-tag vehicles to the ETC lane.

Last edited by bejoy : 5th June 2017 at 18:16. Reason: Added quote
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 21:06   #964
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,573
Thanked: 4,274 Times
Default Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Recent Fastag experience on a Bangalore-Chennai-Bangalore trip:
Onward:
BETL - Dedicated lane, Tag automatically detected, quick pass

Attibele - Dedicated lane, Tag automatically detected, quick pass

Krishnagiri - Dedicated lane, entry to barricaded lane controlled by security guard and he used a hand-held scanner. Couple of trucks in front, but moved fast

Vaniyambadi - Dedicated lane, entry to barricaded lane controlled by security guard. Couple of trucks in front, moved fast but automatic tag detection failed, attendant used a hand-held device.

Pallikonda - Dedicated lane, entry to barricaded lane controlled by security guard. Moved fast but automatic tag detection failed, attendant asked me to back up and bit and then it worked.

Chennasamudram - Dedicated lane, many vehicles including trucks, took about 5 minutes to move and tag was detected automatically.

Sriperumbudur - Dedicated lane used by all vehicles, many vehicles including trucks, tag was detected automatically at the booth. Moved quite quickly.

Notes:
*At Vaniyambadi, Pallikonda, Chennasamudram - drive slowly into the lane and stay as close as possible to the sidewall of the toll booth, the sensor is a few feet ahead of the booth almost where the toll plaza roof/shelter begins

*The Fastag lanes at Vaniyambadi, Pallikonda, Chennasamudram and Sriperumbudur are on right side either the very first lane next to median or the second from median. Also, lanes are numbered from right and there is confusing signage (clearly remember the one at Chennasamudram that says "Fastag - Lane 1, Keep Left")

Return:
Sriperumbudur - Dedicated lanes used by all vehicles and tag was detected at the booth.

Chennasamudram - Tag was detected automatically.

Pallikonda - Toll plaza had long lines in all lanes. Fastag lane was full of buses and other vehicles, security guard managed traffic well and helped with quick movement of vehicles.

Vaniyambadi - Automatic detection failed, had to back up and then it worked!

Krishnagiri - Crazy lines were beginning to form, luckily I stuck behind a bus on lane 2 from left (Fastag lane was difficult to identify due to zig zagging long lines) and there were security guards controlling entry with barricades, was fast from the barricaded point onwards. There was no display at the booth, did not get an SMS for this so far.

Attibele - Ditto like Krishnagiri

BETL - Dedicated lane, tag was automatically detected

*As I've said before, I prefer the arrangements like at Sriperumbudur - Fastag lane can used by all vehicles, tag detection happens at booth that is managed by an attendant, worst case a hand-held device can be used.
Contrast this with a dedicated lane that is not manned by an attendant at the booth, but a security guard lets vehicles in one by one and if auto detection of tag fails, it just slows things down.
The middle path is probably a dedicated lane with an unmanned booth (no attendant at the booth) but the security guard has a barricade to control entry and also has a hand-held scanner. I've seen this arrangement in some of the tolls on the Bangalore-Pune route.

"Bangalore-Chennai-Bangalore route update in my earlier post here" - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post4210710 (Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries)

Last edited by Aditya : 7th June 2017 at 07:22. Reason: As requested
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 05:01   #965
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,684
Thanked: 1,636 Times
Default Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Chennai to Madurai on the GST Road yesterday at least two tolls had their fastag lane completely blocked and non functional so I had to pay cash

Boothakudi and chittampatti both operated by "eagle deep Trichy bypass tollways"
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 09:00   #966
Senior - BHPian
 
arun_josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,210
Thanked: 3,927 Times
Default Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Chennai to Madurai on the GST Road yesterday at least two tolls had their fastag lane completely blocked and non functional so I had to pay cash

Boothakudi and chittampatti both operated by "eagle deep Trichy bypass tollways"
This is one bad stretch for Fastag users, Chennai - Madurai - Kanyakumari. 2 toll between Trichy - Madurai and then 4 tolls from Madurai till Kanyakumari has Fastag lanes but for the last 6-7 months its not activated. One of the major highways in TN but no Fastag enabled toll for at least 350Kms.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 15:00   #967
BHPian
 
mjumrani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 351
Thanked: 226 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

BILAL toll working the way it is supposed to. First time in last 3 months it worked automatically. I guess the complaints to NHAI did work.
mjumrani is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 15:25   #968
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,684
Thanked: 1,636 Times
Default Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
This is one bad stretch for Fastag users, Chennai - Madurai - Kanyakumari. 2 toll between Trichy - Madurai and then 4 tolls from Madurai till Kanyakumari has Fastag lanes but for the last 6-7 months its not activated. One of the major highways in TN but no Fastag enabled toll for at least 350Kms.
I asked two or three different toll people what the reason is for fastag not working

One guy said there was going to be some road work so fastag was disabled

Yet another guy claimed that thunder / lightning strikes had damaged the fastag sensor and it was yet to be replaced

The noble art of telling fairy tales is alive and well in south tamil nadu I see.
hserus is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 15:34   #969
BHPian
 
prkiran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 124
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post

Boothakudi and chittampatti both operated by "eagle deep Trichy bypass tollways"
Fastag lane at both these tollgates were operational during my trip in the first week of May. So for my regular Chennai - Trivandrum drives now there is a grand total of 3 Fastag enabled tollgates

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
This is one bad stretch for Fastag users, Chennai - Madurai - Kanyakumari. 2 toll between Trichy - Madurai and then 4 tolls from Madurai till Kanyakumari has Fastag lanes but for the last 6-7 months its not activated. One of the major highways in TN but no Fastag enabled toll for at least 350Kms.
Had raised a grievance on pgportal regarding the non functional tollgates in the Madurai - Kanyakumari stretch and got a response sometime around mid-May that the toll operator has been changed and would be reactivating Fastag 'soon'. How soon would that be is now anybody's guess I think.
prkiran is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 16:09   #970
Senior - BHPian
 
arun_josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,210
Thanked: 3,927 Times
Default Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Yet another guy claimed that thunder / lightning strikes had damaged the fastag sensor and it was yet to be replaced
This was the reason given to me at Nanguneri toll.

And once they told me that there is some legal agreement issue with the contractor who is handling the 3 tolls between Madurai and Kanyakumari.
arun_josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 16:15   #971
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 35
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Recent Fastag experience on a Bangalore-Chennai-Bangalore trip:
Onward:
BETL - Dedicated lane, Tag automatically detected, quick pass

Attibele - Dedicated lane, Tag automatically detected, quick pass

Krishnagiri - Dedicated lane, entry to barricaded lane controlled by security guard and he used a hand-held scanner. Couple of trucks in front, but moved fast

Vaniyambadi - Dedicated lane, entry to barricaded lane controlled by security guard. Couple of trucks in front, moved fast but automatic tag detection failed, attendant used a hand-held device.

Pallikonda - Dedicated lane, entry to barricaded lane controlled by security guard. Moved fast but automatic tag detection failed, attendant asked me to back up and bit and then it worked.

Chennasamudram - Dedicated lane, many vehicles including trucks, took about 5 minutes to move and tag was detected automatically.

Sriperumbudur - Dedicated lane used by all vehicles, many vehicles including trucks, tag was detected automatically at the booth. Moved quite quickly.
Travelled same route on 27th and 28th of May.

All the Fastag lanes were functional, no difficulty in automatic reading of the tag. Except Krishnagiri where hand held scanner is used to read even before the lane entry. Sriperumpudur is chaotic with other vehicles entering and delaying the process. Overall saved about 30 minutes each direction due to Fastag. Though still long way to go, progress is in right direction.
aadya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 16:29   #972
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,684
Thanked: 1,636 Times
Default Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
This was the reason given to me at Nanguneri toll.

And once they told me that there is some legal agreement issue with the contractor who is handling the 3 tolls between Madurai and Kanyakumari.
Yup this was at Nanguneri. So at least they're consistent with the story.

I didn't see any signs of burnt sensor equipment but they might have removed it, who knows.

Contractor issues and so they want the cash in hand instead of fighting with the courts / government to credit it might be the reason they deliberately stopped offering fastag.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 17:31   #973
BHPian
 
Altocumulus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: BLR / KOL
Posts: 551
Thanked: 466 Times
Default Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

I applied for Fastag yesterday from Axis Bank and the tag got delivered today itself. Sent the documents to Mr. Nalluri over email and he himself delivered the Tag to my place today. Great service till now He mentioned that it would be activated by tomorrow.
Altocumulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 18:27   #974
Senior - BHPian
 
dass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,037
Thanked: 427 Times
Default Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad75 View Post
Got my FASTag delivered at home in 7 days flat.

Called up ICICI bank customer care placed a request for fastag. no documentation required.Guess they use the KYC docs submitted to them.
Didn't work for me. I called their ICICI Fastag customer care and they said they cannot send me the tag through post. I am an existing ICICI Bank customer, but he said I have to visit the POS to get the tag.
dass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 18:32   #975
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 35
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Didn't work for me. I called their ICICI Fastag customer care and they said they cannot send me the tag through post. I am an existing ICICI Bank customer, but he said I have to visit the POS to get the tag.
Try this number 9480058927. This gentleman is a Fastag executive in Bangalore who collected the documents and delivered it to me from ICICI. He might be able to help you(if he is still with ICICI). I don't remember his name.
aadya is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Run-Flat Tyres : All you need to know Akshay1234 Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 70 30th April 2017 13:47
Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection dass Street Experiences 515 17th August 2016 12:24
The 2012 Budget & the Indian Car Scene : All you need to know GTO The Indian Car Scene 102 13th April 2012 11:27
Need help in procuring a 4x Graphics card WasavaTyres Gadgets, Computers & Software 17 26th May 2009 16:19
All you need to know about honda D series headers.. nitroxx Modifications & Accessories 7 10th March 2007 13:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks