Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 28th February 2017, 13:45   #181
BHPian

Default Re: Child pops head out of the sunroof; killed by manjha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prafful_Rathod View Post
How about this. SRK taking his son AbRam for a ride in his convertible. I hope this was not intentional.
This is stupid behaviour at so many levels. There is of course the child sticking his head out of a moving car but to my mind the even more dangerous fact is that the child is seated on another person's lap in the front seat of a car which has frontal airbags. I have seen the entire video and there were bikes zipping around in all directions and it was entirely possible that the car could have inadvertently rear ended another vehicle leading to airbags inflating. What would have been a minor fender bender, had the potential to cause grievous injuries to poor child.

While there might be no rule requiring you to seat children only in rear seats or to have appropriate child seats as far as i understand front seat passengers should always be belted. So this incident is a clear violation of that rule. He should have been fined (even if it is a token INR100, it would have highlighted the issue). To top it all the, there was a police pilot for this drive and they did nothing
Mohan Mathew A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 15:03   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post

Slightly OT, Do we really need these sun-roofs in cars - especially those in cities ?? I hate driving even with my windows open due to the heavy pollution and dust.
I wonder the same thing every time I sit inside my car.

To be honest, I used to allow people to peek out of the sunroof on highways at speeds of 10kmph. It used to be refreshing (especially during our drive to Munnar) and we didn't do it to flaunt the feature. Lack of knowledge on sunroof and the danger it poses put my family at risk. However, after reading about this incident, I have stopped opening the sunroof completely and my next car will be devoid of it.

However, can someone enlighten me about the purpose of the sunroof?
Viv3k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 15:17   #183
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv3k View Post
Helps cool a car when parked under the sun.
Open sun roof, switch on ac and drive.
Hot air rises as the cold air from the Ac fills the cabin.

My commute is on the Hyderabad ORR. If I had a sun roof in my car, then except during the summer months, I would drive with it open every time.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 15:55   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Noise- and draught-free ventilation. They are wonderful in climates which are merely warm and do not have a tropical sun beating down from the sky.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2017, 19:18   #185
BHPian

We really do not need sun-roofs in India, except in the cold hilly areas, maybe. Sun roof is there for people to enjoy the sun when it shines brightly on less-cold (warm) days in temperate climates. It gives them a feeling somewhat like, though not exactly the same as, in a open top, minus the strong breeze in the face. In a globalised market, sooner or later it was bound to hit India, and car marketers tout it as a plus feature to us gullible buyers. In our country, it can better be marketed as a roof to toss your garbage out of, and soon even Nano will be forced to incorporate one, considering our passion to litter the countryside !

Car ads should read something like "Chuck your empty water bottle out of the CHUCK ROOF and see if you can hit the bike just behind you. Only in our ZXT model you enjoy this feature where you don't have to open door to spit out Gutkha, but let it fly onto the white car behind you !"
SnakemanJohny is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2017, 20:29   #186
Senior - BHPian

We also don't need DRLs but they are becoming 'necessity' day by day. But come on , we have to match with the west even the weather is just opposite. We are largest manufacturer of Solar Energy IIRC as well as buying cars with Sunroof and also have the most polluted cities, there can't be a better contradiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
Car ads should read something like "Chuck your empty water bottle out of the CHUCK ROOF and see if you can hit the bike just behind you. Only in our ZXT model you enjoy this feature where you don't have to open door to spit out Gutkha, but let it fly onto the white car behind you !"
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2017, 21:44   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
We also don't need DRLs but they are becoming 'necessity' day by day.
Beg to differ here. DRLs might not be an absolutely must have feature but they do improve visibility even in day time right. There have been studies documenting that.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2017, 22:56   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
... they do improve visibility even in day time right. There have been studies documenting that.
Indeed, they do do something towards improving safety.

A long time before anyone else thought of it (1980-something, I think) Volvo had always-on sidelights.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 19:52   #189
BHPian

Quote:
DRLs we certainly do not need ! Except in foggy conditions when anyway you need sidelights or head/foglights. If I cannot see a large coloured tin box in daylight, I should not be driving anyway. As stupid as the western rule of bikes using headlight during the day.... so should cars, in my opinion. We can drag this logic a little further and keep the horn on as long as the engine is on.... boy, wont we Indians love that ! Or everybody fit a siren wired to the ignition key !!

Instead of using costly and gaudy DRLs, can't we just have a large personal flag flying from the rooftop/bonnet ? Something like the convoy flags of the armed forces. Improves visibility like nothing else, is low-tech and low cost too ! Wildly off topic !!
SnakemanJohny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 23:25   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As stupid as the western rule of bikes using headlight during the day....
Really, not stupid! One of the main reasons that bikers become victims is not being seen. Yes, even in broad daylight. The small thing of keeping dipped headlights on makes them disproportionately more visible.

I'm not a biker: I'm looking at this from the point of view of a car driver.

In UK, I think it is an advisory, not a rule, but I'm not at all sure, and I maybe they even make the bikes with always-on lights now.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2017, 03:27   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Instead of using costly and gaudy DRLs, can't we just have a large personal flag flying from the rooftop/bonnet ? Something like the convoy flags of the armed forces. Improves visibility like nothing else, is low-tech and low cost too !
You don't need fancy DRLs. Headlights on low beam are good enough.

Exactly, what additional expense over fuel does it take to have the headlight on when the vehicle is running?
narayans80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2017, 12:17   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
You don't need fancy DRLs.
(my bold)

True. The always-on Volvo sidelights were anything but fancy, they were just... always on.

What have now become called "DRLs" (whoa, I can't even think that it stands for just now!) have become a design feature of cars. They appeal to the buyer for their looks, and the safety function is probably seldom thought of. Never mind: if safety features can bypass buyer ignorance, it is all good. (How to make seat belts look good? )

And... you surely have to admit that these LED strips do look good!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2017, 13:04   #193
BHPian

Quote:
As stupid as the western rule of bikes using headlight during the day.... so should cars, in my opinion. !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Really, not stupid! One of the main reasons that bikers become victims is not being seen. Yes, even in broad daylight. The small thing of keeping dipped headlights on makes them disproportionately more visible.
I agree, this is not stupid but a necessity. This is the exact reason why, traffic police, men and women working on the roads and cyclists are supposed to wear bright colored jackets, with reflective stickers. It is easy to miss people, cyclists, bikers in traffic. One can monitor only a limited number of objects while driving. The lights or the bright colored jackets definitely improve safety by making them more visible.
Enobarbus is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2017, 13:14   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post
I agree, this is not stupid but a necessity.
Yep. Visibility counts. And here (in this city at least) zero pedal cyclists use lights, and many bikers just don't bother to turn them on, even in the dark

But I guess we ought to get back to sunroofs. And manja. Although I hope we don't get a new case to prompt the return to topic

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 7th March 2017 at 13:16.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2017, 18:02   #195
BHPian

DRLs stand for Daytime running lamps and I agree with Thad's point on keeping headlamps on during the day on low beam enhancing visibility for two wheelers. I keep them on most of the time while riding and many of the contemporary motorcycle models come with an always headlamp on feature.
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote